Thursday, February 03, 2022

Book Review - Paleontology, An Illustrated History - Princeton University Press

 


     I don't quite remember when it was that paleontology first captured my attention, but it certainly entailed an amateur study of Archaeopteryx and all that had been written about it. I remember clearly being captivated and fascinated, and in awe that so much could be deduced from a well-preserved fossil. 
     It was probably around the same time that I was also following the intense discussions, (verging on controversy), about whether birds first took flight from the ground, or by gliding down from trees, and I was never quite sure which side I came down on!
     This impressive work by David Bainbridge covers Archaeopteryx and so much more. It presents a concise history of paleontology beginning in very ancient times when metaphysical beliefs accompanied the discovery of the remains of unknown creatures, right up to the present day.
     Along the way there are tales of skullduggery, hostility, antagonism, and conduct verging on intellectual warfare; with adventurers rivalling Indiana Jones thrown in for good measure.
     Long regarded as neither art nor science, but straddling both, paleontology coalesced into a science  in the eighteenth century.  Today it is part of an interdisciplinary suite of specializations that together enables us to look into the past with accuracy, and understand more fully the evolutionary path that humans and other more primitive organisms have travelled through time. 
     We are in fact in the golden age of paleontology with tools such as carbon dating, tomography, algorithms, mathematical reconstruction, and so on available to scientists across disciplines such as paleopathology, forensic reconstruction, evolutionary theory, diagnostic imaging, aerodynamics, hydrodynamics, environmental science, climatology and even satellite imaging. The discovery of DNA and other genetic materials, and their use in interpreting fossils in precise fashion, promises to further revolutionize our understanding of the path of evolution.
     It is disturbing (in a profound way) that axiomatic truths are still widely challenged, indeed rejected, by religious fundamentalists and other fanatics who deny the validity of science (usually on their computers designed by the very scientists they dismiss), and even strive to supplant science with folklore in educational curricula. After all, why accept the evidence presented by science when you have an ancient text written by primitive peasants in other lands to reveal all!
     In my favourite sentence in the whole book  Bainbridge dismisses them with a deft touch, "Disregarding the futile distractions of creationism and its pseudoscientific rearguard battalion, "intelligent design," much remains to be discovered about how natural selection causes evolution to take place." I'll drink to that Dr. Bainbridge!
     If you have never considered picking up a book on paleontology, please change your mind. This book, written in lively prose, will both entertain and educate. How could you take issue with that?

Paleontology, An Illustrated History
Author: David Bainbridge
Hardcover - US$29.95 - ISBN 9780691220925
256 pages - 100+ colour illustrations - 6 1/8 x 9 3/4 inches (15.313 x 24.375 cm)
Publication date: 8 February 2022
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

46 comments:

  1. ...I remember as a young boy hunting for fossils which are plentiful in this area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was lucky enough to see skeletons like this live in a museum. They are huge and impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed I have never been interested in paleontology but now I want to deepen the topic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello David, :=) I have read my sons book on Palaeontology by Miguel Telles Antunes. I enjoyed it immensely, and this one also seems like an interesting read. Biology and geology have always fascinated me, and like Tom, have found this subject intriguing, so much so that I also went fossil hunting as a young girl, and even found a stone with a fossil inside, with the help of a local lad who knew which stones to look for. I was so excited when the stone was cracked open, and the fossil was revealed.
    All the best
    Hugs from Portugal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too have been thrilled with fossils that I have found, Sonjia.

      Delete
  5. As always David, you read a lot of exciting books. Thank you for the review.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've long been fascinated by paleontology. This sounds like a "must read" for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi David - yes I'd love to read it ... brilliant Mary Anning features as 'a read more page illustration' in the dreaded Amazon! It is extraordinary how much we can find out at this time in the 21st century ... they've so far found the partial remains of a woolly mammoth and a woolly rhinoceros, along with a virtually complete wolf skeleton and the partial remains of a hyena, horse, reindeer, mountain hare and red fox ... in Plymouth, Devon - excavating land for a new road and housing - dating to the last ice-age - 30,000 - 60,000 years ago.

    Excellent to remind us of these brilliant books - thank you ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an enjoyable sounding book. I drove by the recently (in time using eras) built Noah's Ark in Tennessee. It didn't have many people visiting, but I was surprised to see it even still standing. I am amazed that regular thinking people walking around on this wonderful earth can believe that the Biblical myths were literal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like an interesting read. Thanks for the wonderful review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like a completely fascinating book - on a fascinating topic. And how nice to think that we are in the 'golden age' for something...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Many thanks David, :=) I thought you would know what bird it is.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This book is right up my alley. Had I known more about paleontology when I was in college I might have gone in that direction rather general biology. And I agree. It is sad that so many people challenge science with non-science. It is OK to challenge science with science though. I've added this to my wish list and hope when I get some birthday gifts in early March this might be one of them. Smile. Enjoy your travels. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you receive it for your birthday, Erika. You have a keen mind and would doubtless enjoy it. As for challenging science with science that is the very essence of science, isn't it?

      Delete
  13. It's a fascinating career, I would think.
    I love your header!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only imagine the excitement (elation) of finding a fossil hitherto unknown.

      Delete
  14. This book sounds fantastic, palaeontology is a fascinating science. I've noted the title! Have a great day, take care, stay safe on the roads. Hugs Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh David, I thoroughly enjoyed this post. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Querido David como siempre nos dejas una gran reseña de lo que parece un gran libro. Tengo que decir que leí poco sobre este tema y no se demasiadas cosas, así que lo tendré en cuenta. Muchas gracias. Un enorme abrazo para ti y para Miriam.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very interesting. I luv the sou d of the birds in my area.
    Happy Thursday

    Much love...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like something I would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I do like it, haven't read about it in years

    ReplyDelete
  20. If I had it to do all over again, I would be an anthropologist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would have been a great choice, Joanne, and. I have no doubt you would have made a good one.

      Delete
  21. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love the barred owls. Owls are interesting birds to me. But I enjoy all kinds of birds. Not as knowledgeable as I wish I were.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Il me semble qu'il y'a peu de livres comme celui ci.
    Bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think that, having read your review, I might have to buy this book, David. Were you aware that one of the most remarkable UK fossil finds ever was announced last month? - a huige Ichthyosaur at Rutland Water. If you are interested, the story is here:- https://www.lrwt.org.uk/seadragon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Richard: If I am not mistaken you were at one point quite a fossil hunter yourself, and I seem to recall many of your finds in your office. I will look forward to reading about the discovery at Rutland Water (of which I have very fond memories).

      Delete
  24. I haven't read any book on this topic. I may find it interesting too. Thank you for the review. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your summary sounds interesting, David. I have never been interested in paleontology. But I had an anthropologist friend, he told me about these things.

    ReplyDelete
  26. My older brother was into collecting arrow heads and fossils as a young kid. He wanted to be a scientist, instead ended up with a teaching degree to teach science. Taught one year and hated it. Often wondered what if he had followed up on his love of science. He wasn't into sports like all his friends, he collect turtles, butterflies, etc. Somehow, I feel like he settled into what life dumped on him rather searching for his true interest. While the book won't end up on my reading list, I like your description.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  27. Parece muy interesante. Abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  28. That book sounds interesting. I couldn't understand all of your review... It's the same to miss a translator. Where is the possibilty, to put one into the Blog? I don't know how.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This sounds pretty complex and way out of my league!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think people do find paleontology interesting and I would have liked looking for fossils as a career. So the next best is seeing them in the museum. Judging from your review, the book really is interesting with so much facts and stories. There is always an Indiana Jones in every one or rather a wish to be one, whip included.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I think you should visit us and the museum on this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sounds interesting, another great review. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This looks fascinating. I first became interested in paleontology when we studied it in fifth grade, 1960. Had the good fortune to visit the Museum of Natural History in NYC about the same time and then the great privilege of working there. Nothing like walking from my office on the fourth floor through the dinosaurs at night.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you for the review.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  35. Interesting. When I was a child, I read several books by Roy Chapman Andrews and I wanted to hunt dinosaur fossils.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Well, I think yes, the bird rose from the ground into the air, very slowly... over a long period of time. Well, it's emotional thinking, in this case.
    Thanks for your topic. Have a wonderful sunday.
    Many greetings from Viola

    ReplyDelete
  37. You have a unique way of opening my eyes to new things. Your enthusiasm makes me want to learn more!

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers