Monday, February 07, 2022

Book Review - Japan - Princeton University Press (WILDGuides)


      Mark Brazil's name has come to be associated with the ornithology of Asia, and I have benefitted greatly from his previous works, Birds of East Asia and Birds of Japan. Brazil now resides in Hokkaido and is well qualified to write this wonderful account of the natural history of the Japanese archipelago, which stretches for more than 3,000 km from the subarctic barrens at the northern tip of Hokkaido, to the subtropical zones of the outer islands in the south.
     Brazil points out that with a population of around 125 millions Japan is by any reasonable standard overpopulated, yet most of the people are concentrated in the greater Tokyo area and a few other major cities, and there remain natural areas for the ambitious naturalist bent on exploring them. This is especially true in Hokkaido.
     Japan is blessed with an incredible diversity of flora and fauna, and the cover of this book depicts perhaps the best known of all, the Japanese Macaque, the most northerly primate in the world, and the subject of innumerable television documentaries.
     No less extraordinary, and almost as well known, are the Steller's Eagles that migrate to Hokkaido in the winter, and provide a spectacular wildlife experience that nature lovers from around the world flock to see, injecting substantial revenues into the local economy. The Red-crowned Crane, an iconic symbol of longevity and happiness, is beloved by the Japanese and visitor alike.
     You may be surprised to learn (I know I was) that Japan hosts 203 species of Odenata, 52 of which are endemic. Blakiston's Fish Owl, the largest owl in the world, clings to a precarious existence in Hokkaido. Brown Bears hang on in the northern regions of the country, despite serious persecution and Asiatic Black Bears roam south of Blakiston's Line. There is an endemic giant salamander that almost defies belief and Japan's grey ghost, the Japanese Serow, whose reality mirrors the legends surrounding it. Red Foxes roam the landscape and exotic pheasants are hidden in their forest home. From rugged coastline to temple garden, and everything in between, wildlife may be found.
     Brazil does not hesitate to tackle controversy when needed. In regard to the Grey Wolf, now exterminated, he says, "Weren't we, in retrospect, rather more dangerous to the wolves than they could ever have been to us?" The result is an out-of-control deer population literally eating itself out of house and home. Japanese Crows are seen by some as a problem in cities, but as Brazil correctly points out, "The so-called crow problem is not a crow problem it is a people problem." Humans insist on leaving their trash on the street in plastic garbage bags which the crows with their strong bills are easily able to tear apart, and waste is strewn through the streets and borne on the wind. 
     This book will captivate you page by page and there is much to learn, not only of the natural history of Japan, but there are comments on the sociological aspects of Japanese society and the ways in which excessive human exploitation has impacted wildlife. It is perhaps a hopeful sign that the population of Japan is actually starting to decline, giving hope that endangered wildlife populations may have a chance to recover.
     I trust I am not being niggly when I point out there is an anomaly in the production of the book. I am not sure whether the printer had the pagination template wrong, but page 116 leaves you with a dangling sentence that is not completed until page 120. In the interim the flow of the original topic is interrupted by coverage of Harlequins and other sea-ducks.
     Despite this rare example of sloppiness in a Princeton book there is much to recommend it. For anyone even marginally interested in the wildlife of Japan this work will fill in the gaps in your knowledge, and expand on what you already know - all brought to you by one of Asia's foremost wildlife authorities.

Japan: The Natural History of an Asian Archipelago - Princeton University Press (WILDGuides)
Author: Mark Brazil
Paperback - US$35.00 - ISBN 9780691175065
384 pages - 600+ colour photos, illustrations and maps
5 7/8 x 8 1/4 inches (14.69 x 20.63 cm)
Publication date: 18 January 2022
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

39 comments:

  1. Saludos desde Barcelona, España.

    Acabo de conocer tu blog y sus planteamientos y recomendaciones me han parecido de lo más interesante, así como tus fotos.
    Saludos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Il y'a tant d'animaux et de plantes au Japon peu connu je pense.
    Il y'a c'est vrai beaucoup d'endroits surpeuplés et à côté de ça des zones très sauvage.
    Bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a wonderful read though there's a minor mistake in printing, but I guess it wouldn't affect the fun of reading and learning. Thanks for the honest review, David.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...a country that I doubt if I will ever visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds interesting. There was a Stellar's Sea Eagle in Boothbay Harbor, Maine back in January, and now it has not been seen for a few weeks. Too bad, I would have gone up there now that I know about it. I have also seen the Japanese Macaques when I went to Japan back in 2018. I traveled with school, and the sister city we spent half of our trip in was near the island in the south of Japan where they first discovered the monkey's washing their food. We got to visit the island with the biologist and it was a highlight of my trip. And I remember the crows too, but no seagulls, which made it seem like something was missing. Thanks for this review David. It looks like a fascinating book, even with the publication issue you mentioned. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a fabulous adventure, Erika. The closest I came to it was a short visit to Narita airport on two occasions to make connecting flights!

      Delete
  6. I am sure it is an interesting book, David. Great review!
    Hugs, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  7. With the exception of that one flaw, David, this sounds like a wonderful book. Reading your review, I was starting to think that I'd missed out on visiting a fabulous place for wildlife, and in a relatively comfortable and civilised country too - until I read the bit about garbage-strewn streets. You'd never credit that Homo sapiens is supposed to be one of the most intelligent species on the planet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The clear mind or the final correction of the book was not paid attention to p. 116.
    PS The book has an excellent cover!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds excellent. Japan (well away from the big cities) has always been a place I have longed to visit.
    Hopefully the print issue you identified will be fixed in the next release.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You do review some interesting books. Asia is a country I would like to return to but it is sadly not going to happen. Keep safe Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds absolutely fascinating. I'm putting on my "want to read" list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a history. Thanks for the amazing info about these.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It´s amazing how animals adapt. I don´t, brrrr...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Until I read your review I hadn't realised how little I know about the wildlife of Japan. I shall certainly never visit such a distant place, but it sounds as though this would be an interesting read even so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been difficult, and at times impossible, to travel since the start of COVID restrictions, so armchair nature becomes ever more appealing.

      Delete
  15. Hello,
    Another great book review. I love the cover photo. Thanks for sharing! Take care, enjoy your day and the week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I must say, you read a lot of interesting books.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A beautiful photo of the monkey in the snow. Beautiful book I think.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A proofing error like page 116 needs to be mentioned and isn't at all niggly. Hopefully on a second printing it will be corrected. But it sounds like a beautiful book. I might have to check the Amazon page to see if they show any photos from within. Rick has been to Japan seven or eight times and me only once but it is a fascinating place. We were mostly in the cities and didn't see a lot of the natural wildlife but I can imagine that it is quite remarkable as the terrain varies so much, from sea level to mountains. It sounds like a fabulous book.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I smiled at your mention of that disconnected sentence. Even though I don't have an eye-shade wearing, red pencil-bearing editor for my tiny blog, I do my best to serve the function myself. Spelling, grammar, and coherence do count!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Tiene que ser un libro precioso. Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It must be a fantastic book.
    I have already had the pleasure of visiting Kyoto and Tokyo, but I would love to go back there, as it is a country with so much to see, both in nature and to appreciate its interesting culture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to visit Japan but these mega cities hold no attraction for me.

      Delete
  22. The cover photo is a stunner. The books sounds like a great read especially if you are going to visit Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  23. A beautiful review. The book sounds interesting. So sad to read about the wolves.
    Maybe one day I could visit Japan, a cousin of mine lives there with her Japanese wife and 2 sons.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good review. I doubt I will ever get there.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great cover! It sounds like they are having the same wildlife dilemmas as the US.

    You commented on Monday Murals. Sami took over the linkup from Oakland Daily
    Photo four years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful owl in the blog header. That is a nice book cover. Good review of the book. Japan is an interesting country.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gracias por tus recomendaciones que siempre son interesantes.
    Os deseo un buen miércoles David.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your header photo of the owl is beautiful David.
    I had no idea Japan had so much wildlife. It's a country on my "to visit" list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make sure you venture far beyond the sprawling, densely populated cities, Sami.

      Delete
  29. Many thanks for your review.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have visited those monkeys. They are wonderful. But the place are disturbed by too many visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi David - how lovely to learn more ... I even had to look up where Japan was on the map of life (earth) ... I forget - where it lies in relation to China and Koreas, let alone Taiwan. Mark Brazil deserves to be noticed and he's so right - we're the enemy of much of nature. My sister-in-law has visited for work ... but I've never made it - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers