Thursday, April 01, 2021

Random Memories of Australia - Part 11

      Here are a few more birds of Australia to satisfy the curious mind!

Silvereye (Zosterops lateralis)
     A member of the quite large family Zosteropidae, Silvereye is an enchanting little bird that we saw quite frequently, but we are nevertheless seriously lacking in photographs.


     The above picture was taken at Queechy Lake in Launceston, Tasmania, where this individual flitted incessantly in front of us, pausing briefly to enable this picture. Miriam and I actually got the same shot, but hers is better than mine!
     We were visiting Tasmania at the start of the breeding season when individual birds, or pairs were seen. Outside the breeding season this species is quite gregarious and flocks with congeners. 

Brown Thornbill (Acanthiza pusilla)

     Thorn birds probably first came to the attention of the world with the publication of the wildly popular The Thorn Birds by the Australian novelist, Colleen McCullough, which was made into a very successful TV series too.


     Thornbills are the classic little brown jobs that can drive birders into paroxysms of ID trauma! They also illustrate very well that a little advance preparation in getting to know their habitat and habits pays great dividends.


     It is pretty easy to identify a loud, colourful, ostentatious parrot, but it is in clinching the LBJs that your birding mettle is really put to the test.


     It can be frustrating at times, especially when the birds are in constant motion and/or in deep shade, but it is a challenge that I nevertheless always enjoy.
     And if you are able to get a good view, Brown Thornbill is beautifully patterned, well-deserving of a second look. I certainly was very happy to spend time with this species.

Welcome Swallow (Hirundo neoxena)

     I think that all will agree that Welcome Swallow is a lovely name. At a quick glance it could be mistaken for a Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica) by those unfamiliar with it, and it has the classic lines of a swallow in the genus Hirundo.
     

     It was indeed a Welcome Swallow, for we first saw it on the day of our arrival, hawking for insects in the Royal Botanical Gardens in Sydney.
     In fact we saw it throughout our stay in Australia, in every state we visited. It welcomed us over and over again!


     It was always exciting to witness its swift, banking flight in pursuit of insects as large as dragonflies, often low over the ground. It is even known to walk behind starlings or other birds to capture insects disturbed by these other birds.
     The breeding season was getting underway and on several occasions we noticed birds gathering nesting material.


     The memories of this beautiful bird are etched in my memory forever.

Sharp-tailed Sandpiper (Calidris acuminata)

     One quickly learned in Australia that when a fellow birder referred to a Sharpie he or she was not referring to the kind of pen with which Donald Trump signed his endless executive orders!
     

     Sharp-tailed Sandpiper was the sandpiper we saw more frequently than any other shorebird species.
     It is a handsome bird, with a rusty crown and a prominent white eye ring. The breeding range of this species is primarily found in Siberia, and its winter quarters encompass southeast Asia, and across Australia and New Zealand.


     It was extremely common at the Western Treatment Plant in Werribee, Victoria, and barely rated a second glance from locals, but it was a lifer for us, and we were intent on studying it well.
     

     It was not especially skittish around human visitors and gathered in small to medium flocks. 
     Sanguine about humans though it may have been, a passing bird of prey caused a good deal more consternation in the ranks. As far as we know none became the plat du jour while we were watching!

Australian Pipit (Anthus australis)

     Formerly considered a sub species of Richard's Pipit (Anthus richardi), Australian Pipit has been accorded full species status by many authorities based on molecular evidence. This judgement is not universal, however, with some taxonomists opting for Australasian Pipit (Anthus novaeseelandiae australis).      Such nuances of classification are probably of little concern to most readers of this blog, and the mere discussion may induce yawns!  


     It is a handsome little bird and presents that upright stance so characteristic of all pipits.


     We were fortunate to see several at Narawntapu National Park in northern Tasmania, where pair formation was no doubt underway. 

Common Bronzewing (Phaps chalcoptera)

     This inordinately handsome pigeon was decidedly uncommon from our perspective, for we saw it only once - one bird, one time!


     It is an incredibly striking bird, and it is apparent at first glance how it came by its name.
     This species is widespread throughout much of Australia; from Pigeons and Doves (2001), Gibbs, Barnes and Cox: "A familiar bird throughout much of its range, most frequently seen in pairs and sometimes small flocks of up to ten, but when coming to drink hundreds may gather at the same waterhole."
     We were obviously in the wrong places at the the wrong time, but we very much appreciated the singleton we saw. 
     I hope there will be a next time!    

David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

71 comments:

  1. Hari Om
    I don't believe I ever saw the pipit... and as for the bronzewings... I did see a few, but really not that many of them, considering how prevelant they are said to be! Congrats to Miriam on that very excellent shot. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Welcome Swallow have a lovely name indeed David. Such a sweet bird. The Silvereye was also a special bird. Australia must be like a paradise for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any Swallow would be welcome here at the moment; they're here but I still haven't seen one so far - maybe today! For some reason I really dislike those birdwatchers' names for birds; I think it maybe because I worked with children and always tried to call them by their proper first names unless they or their parents told me otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you about correct names and I too am not a big fan of birders' abbreviations and nicknames. It becomes especially frustrating when you are a visitor from overseas. On a visit to the UK about thirty years ago I spent a day birding with raptor enthusiasts. It didn't take me long to figure out that a sprawk was a Sparrowhawk, but a little longer to catch on that Kezzie was a Kestrel and Gozzer for Goshawk took longer still. And it irritated me! As a point of preference and clarity I always use the full and correct name of a bird, even when it is just in conversation between Miriam and me.

      Delete
    2. I apologise for 'sulphur crested vandals' - but will continue to think of them that way - while loving them.

      Delete
    3. I love Sulphur-crested Vandal, Sue. It is your pet name for them not slang adopted by the birding fraternity at large. I must confess to having hijacked the name myself a few times.

      Delete
  4. I'm sure there will be a next time! Beautiful birds, my fave today is the welcome swallow, such lovely colours. The bronzewing pigeon is also very handsome. Thanks for sharing these fascinating birds. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a mixed relationship with the silvereyes. They are beautiful little birds BUT they knew that the figs well before we did, and dived in each and every year. It was one of my jobs to find and dispose of half eaten (frequently mouldy) figs. To this day I cannot face fresh figs.
    I do love the UnCommon Bronze Wings. We see them rarely and welcome them each and every time.
    I have a blogging friend who frequently goes to the Werribee Treatment Plant. I don't think she has ever featured sharpies - and I may have to give her a nudge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi David.

    You show beautiful colorful varieties.
    Beautiful pictures.

    Greetings from Patricia.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Silvereye est tout mignon avec son maquillage autour des yeux.
    Le pigeon est juste magnifique!
    Bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi David … the little SilverEye is delightful … Gosh – I’d never realised the Thorn Birds might have been named after these classic LBJs – lovely photos. Beautiful Welcome Swallow and as you say … a delightful name and I’ll always think of it now – rather than our Brutish Welcome Centre (personally I don’t think a great place to be welcomed! – but they did let me have my jab there) … while the Bronzewing such amazing colouring … birds are quite extraordinary … so much evolution over time. Loved seeing your choices – thank you … have a peaceful Easter – cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello David,
    Must have been wonderful to see so many beautiful birds. I hope you get a second chance to visit this beautiful country.
    Have a wonderful day
    Rosehugs Marijke

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photos!
    Beautiful birds!
    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome swallow — what a great name! Pretty bird, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. More wonderful bird pictures from Australia - is there no end? I do hope not! That Common Bronzewing is an amazing looking bird.

    ReplyDelete
  13. They're all beautiful but that Welcome Swallow is especially beautiful. What a remarkable trip, David. Did you do this on your own or have a great guide -- because you sure saw a lot! A trip of a lifetime, I think. I hope you can return but if you can't, boy, you maxed this out so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a guide for two days in Sydney, NSW, Jeanie. Tasmania we did completely on our own. For part of the time in Victoria we were assisted by my good friend, Stewart Monckton. It was indeed a fabulous experience.

      Delete
  14. These birds are beautiful, I admire your photos. I thought that the other bird was a swallow so similar to her.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Australia's considered by many a paradise for humans. From your posts I get the picture of Australia as a paradise for birds too. Such a variety and beauty of these little creatures!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I saw that kind of swallow when I was kid.... beautiful bird.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi David :) The Common Bronzewing and Welcome Swallow are gorgeous, I love all of those beautiful colours, thanks so much for sharing! I loved your comment on my blog today, made me giggle... :))

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Silver Eye looks very like the African Cape white-eye. Love the pigeon. Sorry not keeping up with blogs very well at present, the garden is taking over my life with the change of weather!! Keep safe Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same family, Diane. Have you also seen Orange River Whiteye and African Yellow Whiteye - all delightful of course?

      Delete
  19. I never would have imagined brightly colored swallows! So many fasacinating birds down under. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Quite a few handsome birds. Thank you for sharing them. I’d never see them otherwise. That swallow is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  21. A lovely selection, the Silvereye is a favourite, such a beautiful little bird!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gran reportaje de nuevo amigo David, nunca imaginé tanta diversidad de aves en Australia, esta nueva entrega es la número 11 y no se si queda alguna más. Que maravilla de aves tiene esa tierra, imagino que trataran de cuidar esa gran riqueza y diversidad a toda costa.
    Un fuerte abrazo de tu amigo y compadre Juan.

    ReplyDelete
  23. They are all beautiful birds ...
    Happy April to you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  24. The swallow is beautiful. Ours have arrived in great numbers over the past week, and while I'm not sure what they're feeding on, their swooping flight is such fun to watch. I've not yet met a mosquito since our freeze, but perhaps they're after insects like the craneflies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure which species of swallow you are referring to, but I assume Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica). It is a bit of a myth that they feed extensively on mosquitoes. They do not, preferring larger prey such as medium and large flies, flying ants, small bees and wasps, even caterpillars plucked from leaves.

      Delete
  25. I love swallows, and this was a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for the delightful swallow photos, they have made my day. There are none here whereas only 15 kms away they are plentiful on the farm, I guess small town life just isn't for them. And I do miss them. The little silvereyes are another of my favourites!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great to see our birds again from you..
    Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you, it was a wonderful walk again ... the swallow is so beautiful and so are the silver eyes and thorn birds and ... thank you, it is wonderful. And when the swallows are with us - summer is here.
    But now spring is in motion and the birds' first breeding season begins ... the bird concert in the morning and evening is indescribably beautiful.
    Hug Viola.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful and colourful swallow and pigeon.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi David,
    It has been quite a trip. Maybe you were sometimes at the wrong moment at certain places, but the places where you have payed a visit to haven given you a fine impression of Australian wildlife. Maybe you'll get another chance to search for them in the near future.
    Greetings, Kees

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hello!!! Nice series of pictures... I love swallows... Btw!!! Very beautiful dove... Take care...

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hello David,:=) Lovely selection of bird photos. I could never be bored reading your commentary, and nothing you write about could induce me to yawn. I think it's only right and proper to use the correct terminology when discussing bird names. I love all the birds, even the little brown jobs which make identification so difficult. When I do research, and find out what they are, it makes me remember them more readily.

    ReplyDelete
  33. A great series of beautiful birds, a pleasure to the eye.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hello David
    Your photos are so beautiful! It was a wonderful walk. I am also a bird lover.
    Thank you for your kind words on huskebloggen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Australia sure seems to be the land of the bird!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi David,
    They are all very beautiful birds. The photos are amazing, I especially loved the 6th and the last one.
    Have a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hello David,
    I would like to leave a comment but I think it has all been said so I will just say DITTO many times. Stay safe.
    Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Buenas noches David!
    really beautifull they are. I understand that the Thornbills
    need a lot of difficult photographic perseverence, consuming lots of energy!
    Friend: i go crazy trying to identify the song of a bird.
    I can't tell a dove from an owl lol but me delight
    in seeing your wonderful photographs,
    thank you teacher.
    I wish you have a beautiful and long, long, long weekend.
    Greetings to everyone there and to all of Ontario too.🌸♬ ♫ ℒ ♡ ⓥℯ🌸

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh David, another spectacular collection of photos. I think we are all ready for some travel! My favorite was definitely the Bronzewing!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I hope we can all travel soon and that you get to visit these exotic birds again! Very nice photos.

    be safe... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. Fabulous collection! Thanks for the information about the birds, quite useful!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hello David,
    I enjoy your post and the lovely photos. What a beautiful selection of birds! I hope you are able to go on another Australia trip. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend! PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Querido David, siempre nos traes bonitos recuerdos que yo disfruto viendo. Un abrazo querido amigo, también para Mirian.

    ReplyDelete
  44. So Welcome Swallow really is the bird's name! Very pretty and fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hello Both,
    The more Australia Parts you publish, the more I can understand your keenness to return, again some superb images, your welcoming Swallow is superb.
    You stay safe and well.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  46. I think that I shall be as disappointed as you if you don't get back to Australia, David, as I am thoroughly enjoying your wonderful memories of your previous visits.

    I was interested in John's comment, above. I'm afraid that I am guilty of using abbreviated names for some species - especially Sprawk, Barwit/Blackwit, and Mipit - but have noticed lately that this abbreviation business is getting far more prolific and obscure to the point that I frequently find myself scratching my head wondering what the heck said person is talking about. I have now resolved to try and abandon such abbreviations!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Interesting post! Very fine birds!

    ReplyDelete
  48. As always, thanks for taking time to share your birds with us!!

    Must have been a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Great assortment of photos. I especially like the sandpiper reflection photo.

    ReplyDelete
  50. these are fine birds all of them. Some I saw, others not. And as you mention. Some, even common, birds are soo hard to catch.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  51. I have just spent a few days at the family farm. My joy of being away from the city was multiplied by the constant chorus of birds in the thick canopy of the trees. I sat quietly and watched and listened, but was unable to identify, even one.

    ReplyDelete
  52. hello David
    the camouflage of the bird is perfect, to photograph it or to see / find it first seems to be the challenge, but your trained eye recognized it immediately ... I would have certainly walked past it .. ;-))
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
  53. Great photos David and hope you get to return to Australia and see more unusual birds.

    ReplyDelete
  54. I was at the abode of the Sharpie last week - but most have left for their breeding grounds - and most other waders were distant shapes in the heat haze! Oh well. Keep an eye open for Wednesday for some pictures!

    Sorry for rather long silence, things have been a bit crazy here.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  55. From Silvereye right down to the magnificent pigeon the Common Bronzewing, these birds make my heart beat faster. The tiny Brown Thornbill! The little birds looks so defenceless and it is a miracle that they can survive, feed and build nests just with their beaks. I have a special love for the LBJs of which we have many here.
    David, it must take you ages to create your blogposts with the beautiful clear photos and all the words and I appreciate that you give the Latin name for each bird too.
    Thanks for another great blogpost.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Good day, mate!
    Seeing so many magnificent birds must have been incredible. I hope you have another opportunity to visit this lovely country. I am sure you will!
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  57. Gusta venir aquí David. Así vamos conociendo pájaros que de otra manera nunca veremos.
    La paloma en preciosa.
    Buen martes. Cuidaros.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Wow, what beautiful photos David.
    And how beautiful the swallow looks, it has super beautiful colors.
    Very nice to see all.
    Greetings Tinie

    ReplyDelete
  59. Once again you offer us the possibility to enjoy through your blog those species of birds belonging to habitats and places that we may not be able to visit. Greetings David

    ReplyDelete
  60. I would like to see such beautiful birds. Traveling to Australia will remain my dream.
    Hugs and greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Hi friend David,
    what a nice name "silver eye" for this beautiful bird :-))))
    But that other little bird and the swallows are also very beautiful. The sandpiper is also a very beautiful one with its rusty brown hat. Also more beautiful than the sandpipers in the Netherlands ;-)
    The photo of that late pea pigeon is really a jewel of a beautiful bird !!!
    Dear greetings and a hug from me,
    Helma

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers