Monday, June 22, 2020

Book Review - Europe's Dragonflies - A Field Guide to the Damselflies and Dragonflies - Princeton University Press


       The Wild Guides series has produced an array of high quality field guides over many years, and this guide to the dragonflies of Europe is no exception. Like all modern guides, it benefits greatly from the advent of digital photography and the consequent availability of many outstanding pictures.
     One would be hard pressed to find two more qualified authors for a work on odenates. Dave Smallshire is a renowned British dragonfly expert, and Andy Swash is a prolific writer who is well qualified to expound on many taxa. The work they have produced sets a high standard for this type of guide, all done without excessive use of technical terms.
     Its primary objective is to act as a field guide for the dragonfly enthusiast to take into the field, and it acts as an indispensable tool for that purpose. It is filled with information about odenates, however, and for anyone wishing to expand beyond mere identification, a wealth of knowledge is provided.
     There are only 140 regularly-occurring species in the order Odenata in Europe, 47 of which are damselflies (Zygoptera) and 93 are dragonflies (Anisoptera). Thus, it is very possible for a disciplined observer, with a travel budget on hand, to observe and correctly identify all of them.
     Detailed distribution maps are a key feature of this guide, and reflect up-to-the-minute knowledge of the locations where different species may be found. 
     Many photographs are used for each species; males and females are covered, and key features are highlighted with arrows and a descriptive note. 
     An excellent glossary is provided.
     As everyone who keenly pursues dragonflies knows, some of the characters need to clinch identification, are only accessible by capturing the insect. Differences in claspers, secondary genitalia, female genital plates and other esoteric details differentiate one species from a virtually identical other. These characters are extremely difficult to detect by pure observation of the organism in the field, although specialized binoculars designed for butterfly and dragonfly viewing have made the task easier in recent years.
     Few observers are willing to capture their quarry (in fact I know of none) since it often involves the demise of the individual, and field observation skills are constantly being honed.
     Notes are provided on conservation and legislation and a wonderful checklist is included at the end of the book.
     The degree of scholarship and the first class presentation of both facts and images combine to make this work a highly desirable addition to the library of every odenate enthusiast.

Europe's Dragonflies: A field guide to the damselflies and dragonflies
Dave Smallshire and Andy Swash
US$29.95 - £25.00 - 9780691168951 - over 1,200 colour photographs - 360 pages - 5.87 in. x 8.25 in.
Publication date: 14 July 2020
     

David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

38 comments:

  1. Hi David,
    This book looks very good to me. My experience is that every field guide brings something new and interesting. I look regularly in my two books ;-) Nicd review!
    Regards, Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The present generation of field guides is the best ever!

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a fascinating and learned guide to take on wanderings and to learn more about the various species. All I know is that they are beautiful, and I'm always happy when I see one. Have a great day and enjoy your week. Hugs to you and Miriam, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your reviews always fill me with bookie lust.
    Thank you (and drat you).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure it's a exellent book, David. I have two different dragonflies here living in my garden. I like them a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, David
    I always enjoy finding the dragonflies. This field guide would come in handy. Great reviews and thanks for sharing. Enjoy your day, have a great new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello David!
    Nice review! The book sounds very interesting! Thank you for sharing!
    Have a lovely day and a happy week! Stay safe!
    Dimi...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never thought a great deal about dragonflies, but I bet the book is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dragonflies are very difficult to photograph - they are not static.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whenever I see a dragonfly (and I see a lot at the lake) I always think of that line from Cole Porter's "Just One of Those Things" -- "A trip to the moon on gossamer wings." I didn't really quite get how perfectly it fit the dragonfly wings till last weekend when we arrived at the lake. A dragonfly, long dead, had been nabbed into a web on the screen door. The wings were so beautiful. But even then, I couldn't really get a photo of the wings -- they were too magical. I think I'd like to learn a little more about them. This books like it would be a good help.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is one I need, I struggle with with some of the similar looking ones, especially damselflies!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello David!!! Beautiful book!!! I hope you are well ... ... Birds and nature are always a source of energy ... Happy summer and stay safe..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gran reseña de libro cuanto más recomendado por mi buen amigo David. Tengo algunos pequeños libros que tratan también sobre las libélulas pero no en profundidad, seguro que este es un gran libro.
    Un fuerte abrazo mi querido y compadre David.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice review, David. The book sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Encore un livre qui semble très sympa. je n'ai pas encore vu de libellules cette année.
    Et puis j'aime le nom en anglais, "Dragonflies" c'est très chouette :D
    Ça me changerais des serpents. Bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oui, c'est un peu plus poétique, n'est-ce pas?

      Delete
  15. I have a niece who simply adores dragonflies. I'm content to just sit and watch them flitting around above the water :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for your niece, I say! And good for you too!

      Delete
  16. I guess the authors of this guide had a great time working on it!
    Dragonflies are colorful insects and indicate good luck and prosperity.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks a wonderful guide but while looking it up I came across a local guide which I intend to get.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good evening, expert observer of the sky and its beauties! thanks for the interesting recommendation; you know? it reminds me of my childhood, i loved watching them fly... although i was a little scared liked to chase them. I called them "helicopter" and was a catcher of dragonflies, butterflies and flies jajajaja!! what nice memories this post brought me... it's just that summer tastes like poetry, a time of fantasy for me.
    Greetings, dear David, enjoy the beautiful nature.

    ReplyDelete
  19. One of my favorite summer activities is watching the damselflies and dragonflies around my little goldfish/frog pond. Wonderful creatures and there is an amazing variety of them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful looking book. I recall my excitement when I found a new species of Damselfly for a small part of the UK. There is a dot on a distribution map that will be forever mine!!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    PS: could lot look for owls as planned - C19 in that suburb!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. With many British bird-watchers transferring their allegiance to dragonflies at this time of year I'm sure this guide will be a very welcome addition.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think I need this book, I struggle with dragonfly ID!! Have a good day, stay safe, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  23. I recently learned to identify the ebony jewelwing damselfly, and it certainly looks like that's the one shown on the cover of the book. There must be a photo credit; is it possible I actually identified it properly? I see that it can be found in your area -- what a find that would be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ebony Jewelwing is very common here, Linda, but it is a North American species not found in Europe. I will check on the identity of the cover picture on the book. At present I am reviewing these books on line rather than having a physical copy so I need to download it and it takes a while. I haven't turned on the computer yet this morning. I will post the information later.

      Delete
    2. Hello again Linda: The front cover features a Beautiful Demoiselle (Calopteryx virgo).

      Delete
  24. If I ever venture back into mainland Europe in summer, which is somewhat doubtful, I will be sure to buy this book, David, as the UK version by the same authors, and from the same publisher, is absolutely excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thanks for your helpful comments via email, Richard.

      Delete
  25. Looks a great guide, which many will find helpful.
    Thanks for the review.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  26. Otro libro maravilloso ¡ todos me gustan ! como me encanta fotografiar tanto flores, insectos, aves y demás. Un abrazo y gracias.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello David!
    This book encourages reading. It's beautiful and your review is always excellent.
    Hugs and greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  28. A great review of this book about Dragonflies David.
    Thank you,
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
  29. Dragon flies are beautiful!Nice reading if i had the book!
    Wish you and Miriam a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hello friend David,
    this would really be a valuable book in any book because dragonflies and damselflies continue to inspire. you made beautiful book reviews again David :-)
    A big hug.

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers