Sunday, May 20, 2018

Bird Banding at SpruceHaven, St. Agatha, ON Episode No. 3

20 May 2018

     The weather has not been kind to us this weekend and our banding activity has been fairly dismal. Yesterday, without checking the weather, I went outside a little after 05h:30 only to find it raining, so I went back into the house.
     This morning I was a little later getting going having spent a wonderful evening with Francine and Jim and Franc and Carol and getting to bed later than normal. At least it was not raining.
     When I arrived at SpruceHaven Kevin, Heather and Daina were already there, having completed the first round of the nets in fact. My friend Khurram Janjua was also there with his young son Zacariya who is passionate about birds; their first visit to SpruceHaven and their first experience at a banding operation.
     It was wet underfoot, with cloudy conditions and a little cool, but we had high hopes for a series of migrant species. And we were not disappointed in the variety of species, but the numbers were low.
     We were excited to capture a Blackpoll Warbler (Setophaga striata), a species only trapped previously in the fall. 


     It is a constant source of amazement to me that so many birds are black-and-white yet they are all distinctive in so many ways, and this species is handsome indeed, and its autumn migration is the stuff of legend.
     Flycatchers are moving north to their breeding territories and we were very pleased to capture this Least Flycatcher (Empidonax minimus).


     Willow Flycatcher (Empidonax traillii) and Alder Flycatcher (Empidonax alnorum) are indistinguishable in the field unless they are singing. In fact they were formerly considered to be one species, Traill's Flycatcher. Even in the hand, other than for a very narrow range where the wing length differentiates one species from the other, it is well nigh impossible for a bander to establish the species with confidence. Thus, most birds are still recorded as Traill's Flycatcher - and this is the procedure we followed for this bird.


     Most warblers have now migrated north, but as evidence that a few are still moving through here we captured this female Blackburnian Warbler (Setphaga fusca). 


     We hope that she will find a mate and produce a fine clutch of healthy youngsters to journey to their home in South America.
     Judy Wyatt came out to help and Daina brought her boyfriend, Rob, a splendid young man, and very agreeable company. Daina also has a friend visiting from Copenhagen and she and her significant other also paid us a visit. It was a highly sociable morning and as always it was good to share our banding experience with others.
     I will leave you with this picture of Heather, our dedicated volunteer, who contributes so much to our success, and who delights me every time I see her.


     I had intended to take a picture of Daina too, our other biologist par excellence, but I neglected to do so, so here is a picture from my files.


     I cannot emphasize too much what these young women have meant to us, and how much they have contributed to the success of SpruceHaven banding and Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica) monitoring. 
     And they are truly delightful to be around. I must confess that as I get older I am ever more aware that we need to pass the torch onto younger generations. In Daina and Heather we are handing off to the very finest. It is a happy experience in every way for me to be associated with them.
     Thank you Heather and Daina!

All species banded 20 May:  Traill's Flycatcher, Least Flycatcher, Grey Catbird, Common Yellowthroat, American Yellow Warbler, Blackburnian Warbler, Blackpoll Warbler, Red-winged Blackbird, White-crowned Sparrow.  Total: 9 species, 9 birds.
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

38 comments:

  1. What a privilege it must be to hold these little creatures in one's hand. A good and well-deserved reward for you and all the volunteers who wake up very early to meet our little feathered friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are creatures so delicate and at the same time strong.
    I really like your photos.
    Good week-end entry.
    janicce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's wonderful to have help with the banding process especially people who love and appreciate birds. Wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello David,

    Beautiful birds! The first bird was so pretty. In my garden I have visit of a black and white flycatcher, Ficedula hypoleuca. I have a nesting box, and they comes in May every year. I saw them here last week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like a truly delightful morning. I am very, very glad that this torch is in no danger of going out. And a tad envious of your rain. More than a tad envious of your rain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's always pleasing to have younger people take interest in such things...good on them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely dedication to the young helpers. It seems often the case the skills are lost because the younger generation has different interests. I see it happening a lot, especially over here with craftspeople and cooking of traditional recipes too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello David!
    Wonderful pictures and beautiful spices of birds!
    I wonder how you hold those cute creatures in your hand?
    And what bunting is? Well done to all the volunteers!
    Have a lovely new week!
    Dimi...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful little birds!
    Have a lovely day,

    Ida

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, Kudos to all the helpers. Beautiful birds. I love the cute Blackbpoll Warbler. The female Blackburnian is beautiful too. The FLycatchers would have me stumped. I hope they all do well. Have a happy day and new week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes these spring banding mornings can be slow unless you are in a migration hot-spot. On such occasions we always tell ourselves that even one bird and all the data collected on that alone adds to the overall picture. It's very rare that we go home entirely dissatisfied with our efforts. In any case what might you be doing otherwise?

    Sat at home with a cup of steaming coffee and a warmed cinnamon croissant? We are doing our first Smarties on Wednesday -if the weather holds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are nothing if not prescient. I came home and had that steaming hot coffee with a cinnamon raisin bagel with cream cheese!

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. She is......but her name is Daina. I think people think it is a typo, but it’s not.

      Delete
  13. Gran trabajo en todos los sentidos David!
    Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your posts have made me realise that there's a lot to be said for sociable birding (and for other passions too). I've recently started making visits with organised groups and am still finding my feet in this area. I think that Lindsay is happier as she seems to get concerned when I go off on my own. Yesterday was not so good because the group was too big (25-30 for a dragonfly visit to a small pond, where we stood shoulder-to-shoulder!) I was already concerned as I was expecting up to 12 and thinking that might be too many! Sadly, this was not a place that I could return to on my own as it is only open to organised visits, being considered as too dangerous without a guide - yep, we have such places in UK, and this one's only 50km from our home!

    With love to you both - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best of all is when you go with close friends.

      Delete
  15. Hi David - it's great to see all the news, yet to know you accomplish so much in sociable companionship ... delightful to see your photos too - and thankfully there are younger ones as interested as we are and as knowledgeable as you and your cohorts ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  16. They are fabulous aren't they, I love everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really do think it is so nice to see the help you have with the banding process and to know that you are passing your knowledge onto others who do love and appreciate birds.
    Your photographs are brilliant.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  18. I always love seeing the birds and hearing about the good work you do and I especially love knowing that young(er) people are taking part!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bird banding isn't such a big thing in Japan, if it were it would be something i'd like to observe sometimes...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously you will have to come here and visit us.

      Delete
  20. Seeing birds in the hand is always great - regardless of species I think.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bonjour cher ami,

    Oh ! magnifiques vos photos ! Approcher d'aussi près ces petits emplumés !
    Très belle initiative.

    Gros bisous

    ReplyDelete
  22. The little birds are so pretty! It is interesting to learn so much about them!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks like you had a good day and it is pleasing to hear thet the younger generation are joining in.
    Will catch up further when I have more time. Forgot how long it took redecorating the whole house, when I did it before we had litle furniture here! The garden is slowly getting planted soI hope to be back soon. Have a good day Diane

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi David,
    It isn't just very useful work you are doing with banding birds. It gives also splendid opportunities to observe the birds very well.
    Greetings, Kees

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's nice to see the birds that close-by. The black and white bird is beautiful indeed. In The Netherlands banding of birds is done a lot, a 'birdingfriend' of mine is always assisting the guy that does the banding, who is really crazy about it. They note all the details and a lot of research during the years has been done. It's around the environment where I live so it's great to see some nice species are still around, unless I don't see them. You can see more on the blog of the assistent, he takes all the pictures of the banded species. http://bo629hr.blogspot.nl/

    Kind regards,
    Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello Marianne:Thanks for the link to this interesting blog. Unfortunately it does not have a translator so I am unable to follow the text. Perhaps if you know this fellow you could suggest that he add one.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello David.
    Your birds are all pretty.
    These days I am beginning to know that birds are living in my residential area too.
    Very interesting to know that. Your blog," travels with birds" opened my eyes.
    I am thinking that, once in a while, I should take a walk with my zoom lens to see birds.

    Have a good day.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Tomoko: It is so nice to hear from you again. I am very happy that I have been able to awaken in you an interest in birds and Japan certainly has many wonderful species for you to photograph. I notice that comments are not permitted on your recent blog posts, but I am thinking of you.

      Delete
  28. Such charming little birds. I am glad that you had such a good time.
    I agree, so important to hand things down or over to a younger generation.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi David,
    After the vagaries of the weather, you and you group of friends have a wonderful day ringing some delightful birds.
    Also some brilliant images.
    All the best, John

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi David
    What beautiful and delicate birds, I especially loved the female Blackburnian Warbler (Setphaga fusca).
    As I work in accounting and live in the city, I know very little about birds and I did not know what banding operation meant, but I've been reading on the net and I already know it's the attachment of a small, individually numbered metal or plastic tag to the leg or wing of a wild bird to enable individual identification.
    We are always learning and what is extraordinary that we can do until the end of our days.
    Thankfully there are responsible young people like Daina and Heather, who are ready to help, collaborate, interact and to hold the torch.
    I apologize for my English.
    Kind regards
    Maria from
    Divagar Sobre Tudo um Pouco

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your English, Maria, is much better than many people whose mother tipongue is English. Thanks for a great comment and the time you took to create it.

      Delete
    2. That should read “mother tongue” of course.

      Delete
  31. Yes, passing the torch creates investment for later generations. Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers