Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Ducks and Monkeys

     I received an email request for information on Costa Rica from a friend yesterday, in preparation for an upcoming trip, and this spurred me to look at some of the records from my first trip to that magnificent country, where the study of natural history in all its forms is ever at hand.
    One of the memorable places I visited was the Parque Nacional Palo Verde.



    This park is a wetland paradise located in the driest province of Costa Rica, Guanacaste; it is situated at the head of the Golfo de Nicoya.



     One of the birds that was most numerous was the Black-bellied Whistling Duck Dendrocygna autumnalis, a very handsome duck indeed.





     There were literally thousands of them present. 
     It was interesting to see wild Muscovy Ducks Cairina moschata also, as compared with the domesticated versions most people are familiar with.



     When we had lunch at a picnic table under the shade of trees to shield us from the hot noonday sun, we were surrounded by a troop of White-faced Capuchins Cebus capucinus. 



     Even though they must be very habituated to humans bearing food at no time did these monkeys approach us and try to beg for, or steal, food. They seemed to be perfectly content to feed on the food they gleaned from the forest.




     They were endearing creatures and certainly enhanced our visit to the national park.




     AS I look at these images and remember the phenomenal experience that I had in Costa Rica it makes me realize how fortunate I have been to have experienced the natural world in some many corners of the globe.
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

25 comments:

  1. Must be a great place to visit...............

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonjour cher ami,

    Je suis certaine que votre ami recevra de bons conseils... Vous avez fait un très beau séjour. Ce parc doit être très intéressant à arpenter. Ces capucinus cebus sont adorables. Ils ont des canines très développées, je ne leur prêterais pas mes mains !! sourire...

    Je vous souhaite de très joyeuses fêtes de fin d'année.

    Gros bisous ♡

    ReplyDelete
  3. Preciosas fotos de la fauna de Costa Rica, me imagino que fue un viaje maravilloso. Un fuerte abrazo desde España y Feliz Navidad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post David. I think that wherever you're in nature your experience will be phenomenal. You're a good ambassador for flora and fauna. Gr Jan W

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello David,
    Very nice pictures!!
    That monkey is very special. Good shots!!

    Greetings, Marco

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's on our to do list.looks like a fantastic place,nice post.
    John.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A friend of a friend is heading to Costa Rica soon and I am rather jealous. Sue and I were on the verge of going there some years ago. We changed our minds after studying the flight times etc. - a ten day holiday that equated to eight days after journeys at each end. Shame that it is so far away as I do know it is a pretty fabulous place to visit for birds, animals and the country itself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. An amazing place with beautyful birds and animals David.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi David,
    Beautiful pictures, photographed all perfect, very well done.
    The monkeys are my favorite.
    Best regards, Irma

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful pictures David.
    What a lovely kind of ducks.
    The monkeys have beautiful in the picture.
    I wish you a Merry Christmas.
    Greetings Tinie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great shots - I'd love to get that part of the world one day - some many place to see!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful white-faced Capuchin monkeys, great images David.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear David. I can sense, and understand, your excitement at your forthcoming visit to Costa Rica. I wish I was going to be with you!

    I wish you and Miriam a wonderful Christmas. And all the best for 2016. Thank you so much for the pleasure of your visit this year, which was the highlight of the year for me - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you were going to Costa Rica with us too, Richard. Many thanks for your oh so kind words about our visit. We are looking forward to reciprocating your hospitality in 2017. All the best for Christmas and the New Year to you and Lindsay. May each day be filled with owls!

      Delete
  14. Hi David,
    I understand from your message that you are again going to make a trip to this lovely park.
    Looks like it is a beautiful area with lots of beautiful scenery and lots of wildlife. When are you going to make this trip?

    I also want to wish a few very merry Christmas and all the beautiful and lovingly 2016.

    Kind regards, Helma

    ReplyDelete
  15. Costa Rica is high on my wish list. There are so many birding places that I have no chance of ever seeing , but this one is sort of actually possible, even at my advanced age... Maybe, ...... Wonderful birds and the monkeys, just incredible! Thanks for this. I hope your friend has as great a time as you did!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dearest David,
    For anyone interested into nature and wild life, such countries are a wealth for discovering their abundance on birds, plants and trees and other mammals.
    Love your photos and fond memories.
    Hugs and Merry Christmas to you and yours.
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brings back happy memories of my trip there, so thank you! A happy festive season to you and your family too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm allowed to blog until midnight when I morph into Santa Claus.

    Best wishes and Happy Christmas from soggy England.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello dear David,
    I have not been a regular on blogs for a while but my thoughts are very often with you both.
    I hope you are enjoying a lovely Xmas.
    Winter here has not arrived either but from what I read on some blogs, you should have soon a cold spell, so naturally, I wish you to see you winter feathered friends!
    Your post is a 'hors d'oeuvre' for what you will show us soon :)
    Great monkey photos!!
    Huge hugs to share with Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi David.. great eerie of pics.. Best wishes for christmas.. :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wish you many interesting species of animals for shooting.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cet endroit possède bien des trésors cachés ! Merci pour les photos David.
    Bises et bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers