Friday, September 04, 2026

Victoria, BC - Part 11 (Final)

 29 June, 2026
Elk/Beaver Lake Regional Park


     We had not visited this park on any of our previous journeys to Vancouver Island. A new place is always exciting!
     A Dark-eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis) probed around the parking area.


     I doubt whether any of the trees are old growth specimens, but they appear to be mature second growth. We were left wondering whether the hole at the base of  this giant was home to an animal.


     We meandered down various paths and roads, at times alongside water. This female Belted Kingfisher (Megaceryle alcyon) had found a perch it liked and returned to it often.



     A Double-crested Cormorant (Nannopterum auritus) preferred a buoy out in the water.



     American Robin (Turdus migratorius) was very common.


     It seemed equally at home probing for morsels along the shore or delving into the mossy substrate of the forest. 
     Song Sparrows (Melospiza melodia) were seen and heard frequently, but proved to be difficult to photograph.


     Buttercups (genus Ranunculus) always add good cheer to the day.


     It's probably not everyone's favourite creature, but we very much enjoyed this large Black Slug (Arion ater).


     There is always something magical about waterlilies and we found it delightful to see extensive growths of Western Yellow Pond-Lilies (Nuphar polysepala).



     A family of Canada Geese (Branta canadensis) cruised by, like a human family at the Easter Parade!


     The youngsters are growing up fast.


     A local delicatessen named Tonolli's seems to be quite renowned in the area, and we stopped for a coffee and scone.


     It was a busy spot and we parked down the road a ways, but the walk back was well worth it!


     On the way home we stopped at Michell's Farm Market on the Saanich Peninsula to pick up fresh strawberries. 


     This emporium has a long history on Vancouver Island and is renowned for its high quality produce.
     We didn't do much of anything else for the rest of the day other than starting to get ready for our journey home the following morning.
     You met George and Jan in the last post. George is a prolific author and brought over a couple of his books for me, and they shared dessert with us. It was a lovely end to the day.

30 June, 2026
Victoria - Waterloo

     We went for a walk around Oak Bay with Jan until it was time to leave for the airport. Jan drove us there and we bade her farewell, filled with gratitude for a wonderful vacation.
     Our journey home was smooth from start to finish and, as always, it was good to sleep in our own bed!

   
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

53 comments:

  1. Já si vždy tyto články užívám. Některé ptáky srovnávám s těmi, které je vidět u nás. Zaujal mě ledňáček, u nás žije Ledňáček říční (Alcedo atthis). U nás žije Červenka obecná (Erithacus rubecula) a je docela rozšířený druh, vypadá také trochu jinak. Možná tyto druhy vznikly křížením...
    Nejvíc vždy přemýšlím o vrabcích. Už jsem psala, že u nás žijí dva druhy - vrabec domácí (Passer domesticus) a vrabec polní (Passer montanus). Četla jsem, že vrabci byli uměle rozšířeni v Americe, byla uvedena konkrétní místa, kam byli vypuštěni. Tady vidím vrabce zpěvné, možná také tyto druhy vznikly křížením??
    Děkuji za poučení a přeji příjemně prožitý víkend. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello David,
    This is a beautiful series of photos.
    The Canada geese with their goslings are my favorite.
    I wish you a very good weekend.
    All the best, Irma

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to write a comment on your blog yesterday David, but it wasn't possible. Bloggers obviously have big problems.
    Beautiful birds and flowers. I didn't mind the black wood snails when they were here, but they have been exterminated by the brown ones. This summer I have hardly seen any of them either because of the drought.

    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diversity and beauty !
    Thanks David !
    Bisous et bon weekend !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great article and good blog. Have a nice day ok

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hari OM
    that was a lovely ending to your fantastic trip west, David and Miriam. Thank you for taking us along with you! (And boy, am I glad Blogger got the comments problem sorted quickly... now if only they could do the same for tardy and missing posts delivery!) YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many water lilies there, never seen so many. I guess that hole is for a creature as it's too perfect for anything else.

    I can comment once again after not being able to along with others. Let's hope it continues.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely wrap-up to your Victoria series, David. Wonderful photos of the wildlife and nature trails.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...al good things must come to an end!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi David - interesting park on the Saanich peninsula. I'll be back to catch up on all your posts ... thanks for the comment - yes the destruction/scraping of books is appalling (and that's a generous word) ... the book I showed is very well worth a read; as too Tim Berners-Lee's latest ... particularly the last few chapters - very pertinent. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wat lijkt het mij mooi om daar te wandelen David.
    Dat is toch genieten.
    Pracht foto's, mooi het ijsvogeltje met een kuifje op zijn koppie.
    Groetjes Tinie

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely day with nature as your guide.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Llevaba mucho tiempo sin disfrutar de tus relatos y ahora que dispongo de más tiempo vuelvo de nuevo a la rutina de siempre.
    Saludos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an interesting looking slug. Always nice to travel. Always nice to get back home.

    ReplyDelete
  15. All of these birds are so pretty. You have so much to share with each post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love that little Dark-eyed Junco. I do hope some of them make it to my yard this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've only seen a black slug once in Dungloe a few years ago. Nice ending to your visit, thanks for sharing, David.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's always hard for me to get on the plane for home -- even if home is a good destination. It's just that leaving a spot so beautiful or interesting or just plain fun is so hard. I'm delighted you had a new park discovery and it sounds like every second of your time was well spent.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We've been visited by slugs and snails lately. I had to detach a snail from the wee Thanksgiving cactus that's growing from a segment that fell off a larger plant. When the snail was removed, I discovered that it had eaten a large chunk out of one of the segments. Doesn't seem to have done any harm--the plant is growing like mad. Glad you had such a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Particularly good shots of the Junco and the Kingfisher. Please, I am curious about what the kingfisher was sitting on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the roof of a building at the shore. I don’t remember its function. Storage for rental canoes perhaps.

      Delete
  21. What a lovely way to end Victoria's series and, i have to say, that little bird with its ruffled feathers made me smile; it looked like it had just gotten out of bed and decided to go exploring. A coffee and a scone at the end sounds like the perfect way to finish the day; it's been an unforgettable trip, so beautiful and poetic.
    Dear David: i managed to send you this greeting, iupiii! I don't know what happened, i haven't been able to these past few days. I wish you a beautiful Sunday. Gros bisous

    ReplyDelete
  22. I guess if a slug popped up in my home I'd find it a bit disturbing, but I'm fine with seeing one in a natural surrounding.

    ReplyDelete
  23. They also have tempting cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hola, David.
    Creo que la naturaleza de Canadá es tan GRANDE que asusta al hombre.
    Me encantaría conocer todos esos lugares por donde paseas.
    Hoy he subido una nueva entrada a mi blog, por favor, dime si te ha salido.
    Un abrazo..

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful plants, birds and other creatures and Tonolli's Deli looks very nice as well.
    Thank you for your comment today, David. I guess my sentence about the maple wasn't very well worded. I meant that we didn't have maples in our yard before. The Norway maple (Acer platanoides) does grow naturally in Finland, but further south than us.
    (The photo shows the largest of the maples we have planted. In addition, we now have one medium-sized and three very small ones.) :)
    Have a lovely Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a Sugar Maple in our backyard - a lovely tree.

      Delete
  26. When a lovely vacation comes to an end, the comfort of one’s own bed at home is always a welcome prospect.
    Thank you for your wonderful photos and the account of your trip. It is a pleasure, as always, to share in the experience.
    Sending warm regards and a cheerful hug to you and Miriam.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Finally I'm able to catch up on blogs. :) The trail looks lovely the Regional Park. and that black slug is interesting. It's so black. It is always fun to find a new place, isn't it? And I agree with your comment about the Soils book on my latest book post. I had to make a mental adjustment to it as I read because at first I thought about putting it aside. I get why a poet would call the book Soil, because it does go to the roots of what she wrote. I ended up liking it, but Barnes and Nobel put it in the wrong section. Have a great rest of your weekend. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello David,

    It is always exciting to visit a new nature park, and you saw so much beauty there again. I also saw beautiful trees passing by, and as always with you, fantastic and many beautiful birds. But your view, as in photo 5, is also fantastic to see. Flowers, water lilies, insects, and waterfowl made your day a day with a golden touch once again.

    To finish off, a quick coffee with a scone and some groceries like strawberries.
    I really enjoyed myself again.
    Warm regards, Helma

    ReplyDelete
  29. Dear David,
    this seems to have been a perfect way to spend the last full day of your visit. A new park to explore, plenty of wildlife, coffee and a scone, fresh strawberries on the way home and, finally, another evening with good friends. Sometimes it is these seemingly ordinary days that become particularly pleasant memories of a journey.

    I also like the fact that your attention is never reserved only for the spectacular. Birds, flowers, water lilies and even a large black slug all deserve a closer look. Perhaps that is one of the nicest things about walking through nature with curiosity. There is always something worth noticing.

    After following your many outings around Victoria, I can understand the gratitude with which you said goodbye to Jan. She certainly helped make this a very special visit for you and Miriam.

    And despite a wonderful holiday, I agree with you about one thing completely: however enjoyable travelling may be, there is something very comforting about sleeping in your own bed again.

    Warm greetings from Germany,
    Anette

    ReplyDelete
  30. I was pleased to see two species of birds in your post this time which have been vagrants in the UK from over the pond. The American Robin which was the cause of my being drawn into a twitch to North Yorkshire probably 20 years ago, and the Belted Kingfisher which spent some considerable time in Preston, which is 21 miles south of my home town of Lancaster in Lancashire, and which I didn't fall into the twitch fever this time.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This looks like a really nice walk with many beautiful sightings of birds. How come that you had never been there before? Isn't it nice that there is always something new to discover? It looks like a walk that I would enjoy a lot myself. I'm glad you had such a good time on Vancouver Island. Big big hugs - Carola

    ReplyDelete
  32. I am so glad that blogger comment finally works again! Love American robin..don't think we have them over here.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Sounds like a fabulous finish to your holiday David. I enjoyed all the sights. I have never seen that slug before, fascinating little thing. I expect we will be seeing the Dark-eyed juncos soon. They usually turn up when the weather is colder and stay until the following April. Always a welcome sight out back.

    ReplyDelete
  34. bonjour super billet avec de belles photos voila une nouvelle semaine qui commence ,après la semaine passée qui fut très chaude encore je te souhaite un bon Lundi

    ReplyDelete
  35. HI David,
    You made clear that Vancouver Island is an interesting area to visit. Beautiful nature and interesting wildlife.
    Greetings, Kees

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi David always sad to leave - but the park sounds delightful ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  37. That Belted Kingfisher is like me in the mornings.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Jak zawsze chętnie się przespacerowałam z Wami po terenie. Na ptaki i dziką zieleń mogę patrzeć bez końca. Miło wstąpić do lokalnej piekarni. Tez bardzo lubię zjeść cos świeżego do kawki.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi David,
    11 parts of a fantastic vacation—great stories, beautiful footage, and so many memories to take home. I really enjoyed "our" vacation :-))
    Best regards, Frank

    ReplyDelete
  40. Great post ... looks and sounds a perfect way to spend the last full day of your visit.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hello David – As I’ve said before, you publish one of the best blogs highlighting nature that I’ve ever found. I thoroughly enjoyed all of your posts about your trip to Victoria. Thanks for giving us so much information which I plan to put to good use during my next visit. In this post, the slug got a lot of attention in the comments. That’s one of the bigger ones I seen. Slugs are common in the Pacific Northwest although I don’t recall seeing a black one quite so big. I could probably go back in your archive to answer this question, but I’ll ask anyway … How often do you visit Jan? I wonder if you’ll be going back again next year. Thanks for all your Victoria posts and thanks for your very kind comment on my most recent post. Best regards to you! John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, John: We usually visit about every three or four years. In the meantime she often comes back to Ontario where most of her siblings and other relatives lives. Unfortunately, we have no plans to be in Victoria next year. Very best wishes - David

      Delete
  42. Hiciste un precioso viaje, y todo genial. Gracias querido amigo. Sigo teniendo problemas de actualización en mi blog, yo hago entradas todos los días. Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Un lindo hallazgo por aqui
    me gusta la naturaleza y vivo rodeado de volcanes y mar...
    muchas aves veo cada día...
    muy interesante este reporte.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hello David, so good to see all that wonderful nature in Canada and the birds you encountered. Than the stop for coffee in that amazing Deli. Did they have cheesecake?
    Warm regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t remember, Roos, but I suspect they did. They had an incredible variety of sweet things!

      Delete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers