Monday, September 21, 2026

The Voyage of the HMS Beagle - Charles Darwin

      A couple of days ago we had lunch with our good friends, Robert and Mary Ann, and Robert presented me with a real treasure, a 1908 reprint of Darwin's famous round-the-world voyage on the HMS Beagle. When first published it became instantly popular and was the equivalent of a best seller today. It had many aspects of a grand adventure, rivalling popular fiction, and introduced its readers to far corners of the world still shrouded in mystery. 



     One must remember that 1908 was a mere twenty-six years after Darwin's death.
     Robert bought this book in a secondhand bookstore in the very early 1970s in Baie-Comeau, a small city about 400km northeast of Québec City, and researched the name of the original owner, who acquired the book in 1911, and was able to determine that she was probably a local resident. It is interesting to reflect that demand for Darwin's work had already reached these outposts of eastern Canada in the early years of the twentieth century, a reflection of the worldwide interest in the works of the great man.


     Alice felt the need to inscribe her name back and front; probably an indication of how much she valued the work.


     Women of this period were deeply involved in science, then popularly known as philosophy. I am curious about Alice, how old was she, what was her status in life, would she and I have enjoyed each other's company? I suspect we would.
     Perhaps there is an advantage in not knowing her - I am free to conjure up my own impressions. 
     This volume is part of the Everyman series, edited by the legendary Ernest Rhys. A publishing venture, designed to bring the classics and other works to the general public at an affordable price, it has been described as the greatest venture in popular publishing that Great Britain has ever known. As we see, its tentacles reached around the world, especially throughout the colonial empire of the time, on which the sun famously never set.
      The book is bound in canvass and was of a size easily carried in a man's jacket pocket or a lady's handbag.


    Embossed into the front cover is the emblem of the publisher J.M. Dent & Co.


     The spine is exquisitely embellished with a design based on the art of William Morris, whose patterns are still found in  wallpaper and fabric stores to this day.


     
     The following quotation from the medieval play Everyman appeared on the title page of all volumes of Everyman's Library.


     Books such as this, widely disseminated to  increasingly literate and curious societies, were type set by hand, an arduous and lengthy task. The results are impressive.


     Not an inch of space was wasted!


     I am not quite sure whether the following statement was included by Darwin or the publisher, but without doubt it applies to most of us.


    A close English translation is, "I know that I know nothing," a sentiment that is often on my mind!
     I cherish this book deeply and I am very grateful to Robert for giving it to me. If you love books as I do, it goes far beyond the printed page. It encapsulates history, and cries out for a connection to the past. The book is not in pristine condition as you will note from the pictures, but in reality that matters little. It is evidence  that the book was well loved and well used, and no finer endorsement could be made.  One hundred and fifteen years have passed since Alice wrote her name in the book, but her presence is alive today and will live on forever as long as this book survives. 
     I intend to make sure it does. 

Additional Information

     Alice Grace Axelson was born in 1893 in Moline, Illinois, USA. In 1915, in Illinois, she married George James "Jim," Lane (1890-1977).
     Therefore, Alice could not have acquired the book in Baie-Comeau since she was still a resident of Illinois at that time. She must have cherished it, however, since she took it with her when she accompanied her husband to Baie-Comeau in 1937, where he was the chief executive of a major pulp and paper company, Québec North Shore Paper. After Jim's retirement they moved to the Niagara region of southern Ontario. Alice and her husband are buried at St. Mark's Cemetery, Niagara-on-the-Lake.
     Alice was responsible for founding the first library in Baie-Comeau which bears her name to this day.

"Cette bibliothèque se trouve au 6, avenue Radisson, à Baie-Comeau. Son nom rappelle le souvenir d'Alice Lane, née Axelson (1893-1980), femme de George James Lane. Elle a contribué au développement social de Baie-Comeau, notamment par l'implantation de la première bibliothèque. Née en Illinois, elle est arrivée à Baie-Comeau en 1937. Elle y a résidé jusqu'en 1965. Son mari a été gérant de la compagnie Quebec North Shore Paper."

Translation: This library is located at 6 Radisson Avenue, Baie-Comeau. It is named in memory of Alice Lane, née Axelson (1893-1980), wife of George James Lane. She contributed to the social enrichment of Baie-Comeau, notably by the founding of the first library. Born in Illinois, she arrived in Baie-Comeau in 1937. She lived there until 1965. Her husband was head of the company Québec North Shore Paper.

      The 18th Prime Minister of Canada, Martin Brian Mulroney, the son of Irish Canadian parents, was born in Baie-Comeau and spent his early life there. It is fascinating to conjecture that he may have formulated his early political ambitions while using the library.
     This book has really taken me on a voyage of discovery! 
     Thank you again, Robert. Merçi encore, Robert.   
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

51 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Thank you for the anatomy of this wonderful treasure, David! I think an accurate translation would be "I know only that I know nothing" - in short, the only thing definite is that there is always something more to learn. Something you and I, and I'm sure many others reading here, can identify with! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonder what Alice did at that time....probably a scientist. Every paragraph of the book seem quite long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt that she was a scientist. Women were pretty much excluded from careers back then.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful and loved book. Enjoy it, David, I know you will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes -- the Everyman's Library series! I've seen copies of those imprints over the years in many areas of literature. What a beautiful gift from your friend Robert!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful book from a wonderful friend called Robert, about the wonderful Charles Darwin. One other point I would like to make if I may....'type set by hand, an arduous and lengthy task'....Your words couldn't be more apt David, as my late father was a compositor for the local newspaper Lancaster Guardian around the mid-20th century, his work of type setting now computerised of course.

    Many thanks for sharing this gift David.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A marvelous work, David. Have you by any chance done an online graveyard search to see if you can find her? This might be useful in your quest to find out more about her. I've loved books it seems like forever. And these rare items fascinate me.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesante
    que de esa época relatará ese libro no?
    un misterio sin duda que se devela al leerlo
    me gustan los libros , pero poco leo en realidad
    me absorve el trabajo, pero de a poco me doy maña
    en regresar a leer...claro tener un ejemplar asi
    sería un motivo muy real para leer ...
    Me acordé que ese científico dió la vuelta por
    el extremo sur de mi pais, y si mal no recuerdo
    catalogó los pinzones típicos d euna isla en al archipélago
    de Juan Fernandez(Chile) , larga costa
    larga variedad de especies y esas son únicas...
    Hay otros cosas que se cuentan de él por aquí
    pero no me recuerdo en este rato...

    Bien por el regalo, mejor por la lectura!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A magnificent treasure ! Darwin was a mark in History.
    Thanks for sharing the beauty of this old book !
    Have a lovely week !
    Bises
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hallo David,

    Een juweeltje heb je met dit boek in handen gekregen, ik zou er erg zuinig op zijn. Mooi dat zo'n boek uiteindelijk bij een verwoed natuurliefhebber terecht is gekomen, proficiat ermee. Uiteraard zou ik erg benieuwd zijn naar de inhoud, misschien dat jij ons via je blog daarvan op de hoogte kunt houden want het zal niet voor elke belangstellende mogelijk zijn om zo'n origineel exemplaar in handen te krijgen.

    Hartelijke groeten,
    Ad

    ReplyDelete
  10. You really are a lucky man, David! That is quite a literary treasure you’ve been given. It’s fun to think about a lady writing her name in the book over 100 years ago. She must have really loved that book. Books were likely even more precious to people back then, when they had neither TV nor the internet.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really would have been fascinating to meet her.

      Delete
  11. A wonderful book and a wonderful gift.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful book! "I know that I know nothing" is the beginning of wisdom, some say.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 😍😍🤩🤩
    What a wonderful treasure, David! a book like this holds so much more than just its pages; old books are little time capsules, their history, the hands that held them, and the lives of the people who cherished them before us... ufff, it’s magical. I have some quite old books myself, and i handle them with the utmost care. Alice! more than a century later, her name is still there and her presence somehow lingers. A truly beautiful gift, dear friend 😘😘😘😘

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! And to think the Scopes trial was still 17 years away!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh my goodness, what a treasure. And the connection to its first owner is an interesting link into the past. I was surprised when you said how small the book was. Certainly a very thoughtful gift from your friend, who knew where it would be treasured. Enjoy your week, and thankyou for visiting my blog this week, and meeting the numbat!

    ReplyDelete
  16. David, uwielbiam stare książki o naturze, przyrodzie. Jeśli to był dar, to musi być podparty przyjaźnią, bo ta osoba wie, co Cię interesuje i dała Ci cenną rzecz. ja dostałam od koleżanki "Cassell's Popular Natural History" tom o ptakach, który był wydany w 1866r. Przywiozła mi z Anglii i wysłała do Poznania. Bardzo byłam wzruszona. Muszę kiedyś o niej napisać.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be wonderful to read your views on the book, Ludmila.

      Delete
  17. Wow! What a treasure. I love books and I can truly understand what this books to means to you and many others like us. Yes, composing or typesetting a book like this by hand would have been such an arduous task.
    That's a great quote on the book.
    Also, from this post, I learned that science in those good old days was philosophy. Now it makes sense, why scientific research into a topic is called PhD.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello David,
    What a wonderful gift, a book by Charles Darwin.
    Darwin was truly an amazing person and made a significant contribution to the natural world.
    All the best, Irma

    ReplyDelete
  19. You were fortunate to come across the book loved no doubt by Alice. What a good find.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wonderful gift! I enjoyed your thoughts about Alice and how, although we know so little about her, her name and her love of the book have allowed her to leave a little trace of herself more than a century later.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful treasure, David. I completely understand why this particular book means so much to you. I have bought several old books in second-hand bookshops in the UK, and one of the things I love most is discovering signs of the people who owned them before me: inscriptions, notes, pressed plants, little marks of use. Somehow, those traces make the book feel alive, don't you think?

    I often find myself wondering about the people behind these old natural history books too: who they were, what they noticed, what excited them... Perhaps that is one of the things I love about natural history: the feeling that we are temporarily joining a much longer conversation.

    And I completely agree that the condition of the book is part of its charm. The wear, the inscriptions and the imperfections are evidence of a life lived. Alice's name has survived for 115 years, and now you are the person keeping her little piece of history alive! How wonderful is that.

    Greetings from Spain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your very perceptive comment, Guillermo. There is a gulf of many years between us but a kindred spirit lives on from generation to generation. Best wishes from Ontario - David.

      Delete
  22. Wow. what a wonderful book! thanks for sharing about it and showing us the old book.My mother used to go to auctions in the 1960's and bid on a mystery box of merchandise. When she would get it home we would go through the box and find treasure of old books, diaries, family photos, etc. autograph books, family glass paperweights with family members, etc. It was a lot of fun to imagine who these people were - many things dating back to the late 1800's and early 1900's. I still have some of the things from the wealthy Roebling Family, who had a big factory in Trenton, NJ where I grew up.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Davide,
    tento článek jsem si přečetla s velkým zájmem! O Ch. Darwinovi vycházely knihy také u nás a některé jsem četla. Zajímavé je, jak jste přišli na paní Alici a domýšlíte se, jaká to byla žena a proč se podepsala vpředu i vzadu do knihy.
    Zrovna čtu knihu po své pratetě, která přesto, že byla obyčejná dělnice, knihy velmi milovala a z výplaty si vždy nějakou knihu koupila. Ale to není všechno, ona ty své knihy půjčovala sousedkám a známým a zapisovala si do sešitu, komu co půjčila. Přesto, že měla také tyto své knihy podepsané podobně jako Alice, ona byla Františka, tak se jí některé knihy už nevrátily. Ze skromného dědictví jsem si uchovala několik jejich knih a zrovna jednu čtu. Byla vydána r. 1927 a vytvořila jsem článek, který brzy uveřejním.
    Dovedu tedy pochopit, jak vás tato darovaná kniha upoutala a věřím, že se dostala do správných rukou! Navíc jsme zavzpomínali na paní, která už nejspíš nežije a pár pochvalných slov si zaslouží. 👏
    Zdravím do Kanady, Hanka.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy to know that you are a book lover, too, Hanka.

      Delete
  24. You are very fortunate in your friends, which is not an accident I am sure. He has given you a priceless gift and it could not rest in better hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monetarily it is probably worth very little, but as a link to the past it is, as you say, priceless.

      Delete
  25. Oh David, your friend Robert knows you well. This is just such a treasure. What a beautiful book and in remarkable condition. I love that there is a story with it -- one you'll never know in full but that adds such joy and mystery. He couldn't have chosen something more perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  26. what an outstanding gift. I wonder too about Alice. I think the two of you would be great friends.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a treasure and quite a gift.... It has come to the perfect person....I'm sure you will treasure it..We have a William Morris in our family tree ...The UK side..I wonder if we are related? Darwin contributed much to the naturalist population....I'm sure you will enjoy this special gift.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a treasure--even more so because it's not in pristine condition. As you say, it was well-loved. Reading about Alice brought back a memory. About 20 years ago, Bill and I interviewed a 104-year-old woman. She loved books all her life but sadly, her sight and hearing were such that she was no longer able to read or listen to audiobooks. But she was glowing when she talked about the first book she ever got from the library. She lived in rural Oregon and this would've been in the early 1900s, so she got the book in the mail. Then when she was in school, she won a book. It was about fossils. She never forgot those books, even after almost a century! Alice's book is in very good hands, David.

    ReplyDelete
  29. That is a fabulous gift from your friend. I like how you know nothing about this woman who owned the book and how you can make your own image of her. That is another treasure that came with this gift. I'm enjoying my time in beautiful Canada. We're on Prince Edward Island right now. Enjoy the rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is a true treasure - given to you by a good friend who knows you well. I'm sure it gets a special place in your collection. I actually like that it is not in pristine condition, as you said, it shows that it was much loved and probably consulted often. Alice has a beautiful handwriting, something I'm envious about since my own handwriting is quite awful (and everybody complains that it is hard to read). The print of the book is very beautiul and I imagine smelling the very special unique scent of an old book. Big hugs - Carola

    ReplyDelete
  31. That's a precious collection. And to be reminded of Darwin's classical voyage and studies.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Según lo que explicas, tiene un buen aliciente para leerlo.
    Saludos.

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a generous appropriate gift for you. And I agree with the commenter above that you should look for her grave or any other background information on her.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I know that I know nothing – Socrates' maxim.

    ReplyDelete
  35. ...I know more about William Morris than I do about this book. We have a William Morris rocking chair in our living room.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh, how interesting that she was involved in founding a library! The binding of the books looks very familiar. I believe my parents had an old book in that series.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Sinulla on upea ystävä Robert, koska lahjoitti sinulle tuollaisen aarteen. Kiitos, että jaoit sen kanssamme.
    Virkistävää viikonvaihdetta David!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hola David, todos los libros deben ser apreciados, pero este más, porque tiene un gran valor por el tiempo que tiene y es una joya valiosa que se ve conservas con cariño.
    Muchos besos.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Me encantó saber del libro y de Alice, un precioso recuerdo para ella. Abrazos.

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers