This park is a mere five minutes away from our house, so we go there often.
What follows is a random selection of a few highlights of the past couple of weeks, not ranked in order of importance.
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis) is probably the bird we see more than any other at this location.
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata) has also been extremely common this year. There seems to be a cohort of unattached males, a dozen or so birds, and they are heard constantly.
An Eastern Cottontail Rabbit (Sylvilagus floridanus) is capable of driving a gardener off the deep end, but on the trail, harming no one and trying to stay one step ahead of the numerous predators who would make a meal of it, it is charming.
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis), a late breeder, takes full advantage of the bounty of seeds in late summer.
Locust Borer (Megacyilene robiniae) is a significant pest of Black Locust (Robinia pseudoacia) trees.
Ironically, I know of no Black Locusts in the area, but this species is known to favour the pollen of goldenrods (genus Solidago) as a food source, which is where I located it.
Soon, as the weather becomes cooler, they will revert to their habit of soliciting food from their human friends.
An Eastern Wood-Pewee (Contopus virens) is a charming little bird, subdued in colour, but no less beautiful.
This bird, one of three I saw, is undertaking southbound migration to its winter quarters in northwestern South America.
Surely, one of the delights of late summer/early fall in southern Ontario, is New England Aster (Symphytrichum novae-angliae).
Northern Paper Wasp (Polistes fuscatus) is an impressive insect.
Mexican Grass-carrying Wasp (Isodontia mexicana) is a large wasp with a menacing appearance.
It derives its name from its practice of carrying long pieces of grass to partition and close its nests.
I know that you are all in love with wasps so here is one more to make your day complete!
Common Aerial Yellowjacket (Dolichovespula arenaria) has outnumbered all other wasp species by a good margin over the last little while.
I hasten to point out that I have never been stung while photographing bees or wasps. They seem to be totally indifferent to my presence.
As best as I recall, I have only been stung twice by a wasp, both times while eating outside where sugars in food or drink may have lured them in. I bore them no ill will!
Let me finish with a couple of much-loved birds for those of you who are getting over the wasp heebie-jeebies!
Downy Woodpecker (Dryobates pubescens) is much loved by everyone. I doubt whether I could get a single word of demurral on that score.
If a poll were taken to identify the most recognized bird in North America, American Robin Turdus migratorius) would be a serious contender!
...thanks for taking me along, black locust is a very common tree here.
ReplyDeleteI have never seen a Northern Cardinal!!!! I love asters. Thank you, David.
ReplyDeleteHi David - I can imagine the stroll and the stroll you might have later on today ...? Love the photos ... & especially your notes to each one ... good to keep informed about our/ your natural life. I was always bemused by the Downy Woodpecker when I was over in BC. Cheers Hilary
ReplyDeleteThe walk might have to wait, Hilary. It’s raining!
DeleteWe have also seen so many Blue Jays this year. We were happy to have a pair of Northern Cardinals nest in our yard this year. It was fun to see the dad feeding the young. You are fortunate to have a park like this so close to your house.
ReplyDeleteOh, David, I love each and every one of those birds.
ReplyDeleteAnd speaking of wasps:) Back in the day, I hung my clothes on an outdoor line to dry. When the HH put on his jeans, there was a wasp inside one of the legs and--yup you guessed it--it stung him. Needless to say, he's not a wasp fan.
I can see why!
DeleteYou are indeed lucky, David, to have so much lovely nature next door to you, and thank you, as always, for sharing the wealth.
ReplyDeleteXO
WWW
I always think of wasps as looking like bees, but the second one you showed I might have mistaken for a flying ant. Still, I don't see why I would get stung for getting the species wrong.
ReplyDeleteYes, David, it is wonderful to have this park so close by as it obviously has a rich abundance of bird, plant and insect life, all of which were lovely aside from the wasps. I have never been stung by one but always give them a wide berth.
ReplyDeleteI actually just remembered a third wasp sting. I went into the shower not realizing that a wasp was on the floor and stepped on it. Not surprisingly it stung me on the sole of my foot, an experience not recommended to anyone!
DeleteHari OM
ReplyDeleteIndeed, to have such a park nearby is one of life's blessings... and I love your variety of wasps! Like you, I was stung on only one occasion that comes to mind and that was in association with a picnic. Otherwise, they just go about life like the rest of us. YAM xx
(NB; now posts are not appearing at all on my reader - where possible and time permitting I am tracking down some of my regulars, but there may be gaps...)
Same here, YAM. No new posts in the reading list. If it’s not one thing it’s another!
DeleteHello David,
ReplyDeleteA wonderful series of photos from your walk.
The Northern Cardinal and the Blue Jay are my favorites.
All the best, Irma
You've had some great sightings! The goldenrod is definitely out in force, isn't it? What a great background it makes for some of these creatures! I look forward to seeing cardinals again soon.
ReplyDeleteHello David :)
ReplyDeleteIt's been too long since I visited your amazing blog, but now It's cooler and it even rained again today so I'm back blogging and visiting as usual. Like most of the previous comments I think you are very fortunate to live so near a park which is rich in all kinds of wildlife. It's lovely to see so many beautiful birds, insects, and flowers. I love the pretty Aster and also the Eastern Wood Pewee So far I have never been stung by either a bee or a wasp. I think they must sense fear, and I'm perfectly at ease whilst photographing them,
and I feel they know I do not wish to harm them. I'm sorry you got stung under your foot David it must have been quite painful but ofcourse accidents happen, and you can't blame the bee.which lost it's life for being stud on.. I'm rambling a bit now, forgive me David but I'm so happy to be back, and visiting my friends, Hugs and kisses,
Sonjia-