This park is a mere five minutes away from our house, so we go there often.
What follows is a random selection of a few highlights of the past couple of weeks, not ranked in order of importance.
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis) is probably the bird we see more than any other at this location.
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata) has also been extremely common this year. There seems to be a cohort of unattached males, a dozen or so birds, and they are heard constantly.
An Eastern Cottontail Rabbit (Sylvilagus floridanus) is capable of driving a gardener off the deep end, but on the trail, harming no one and trying to stay one step ahead of the numerous predators who would make a meal of it, it is charming.
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis), a late breeder, takes full advantage of the bounty of seeds in late summer.
Locust Borer (Megacyilene robiniae) is a significant pest of Black Locust (Robinia pseudoacia) trees.
Ironically, I know of no Black Locusts in the area, but this species is known to favour the pollen of goldenrods (genus Solidago) as a food source, which is where I located it.
Soon, as the weather becomes cooler, they will revert to their habit of soliciting food from their human friends.
An Eastern Wood-Pewee (Contopus virens) is a charming little bird, subdued in colour, but no less beautiful.
This bird, one of three I saw, is undertaking southbound migration to its winter quarters in northwestern South America.
Surely, one of the delights of late summer/early fall in southern Ontario, is New England Aster (Symphytrichum novae-angliae).
Northern Paper Wasp (Polistes fuscatus) is an impressive insect.
Mexican Grass-carrying Wasp (Isodontia mexicana) is a large wasp with a menacing appearance.
It derives its name from its practice of carrying long pieces of grass to partition and close its nests.
I know that you are all in love with wasps so here is one more to make your day complete!
Common Aerial Yellowjacket (Dolichovespula arenaria) has outnumbered all other wasp species by a good margin over the last little while.
I hasten to point out that I have never been stung while photographing bees or wasps. They seem to be totally indifferent to my presence.
As best as I recall, I have only been stung twice by a wasp, both times while eating outside where sugars in food or drink may have lured them in. I bore them no ill will!
Let me finish with a couple of much-loved birds for those of you who are getting over the wasp heebie-jeebies!
Downy Woodpecker (Dryobates pubescens) is much loved by everyone. I doubt whether I could get a single word of demurral on that score.
If a poll were taken to identify the most recognized bird in North America, American Robin Turdus migratorius) would be a serious contender!
...thanks for taking me along, black locust is a very common tree here.
ReplyDeleteI have never seen a Northern Cardinal!!!! I love asters. Thank you, David.
ReplyDeleteHi David - I can imagine the stroll and the stroll you might have later on today ...? Love the photos ... & especially your notes to each one ... good to keep informed about our/ your natural life. I was always bemused by the Downy Woodpecker when I was over in BC. Cheers Hilary
ReplyDeleteThe walk might have to wait, Hilary. It’s raining!
DeleteWe have also seen so many Blue Jays this year. We were happy to have a pair of Northern Cardinals nest in our yard this year. It was fun to see the dad feeding the young. You are fortunate to have a park like this so close to your house.
ReplyDeleteOh, David, I love each and every one of those birds.
ReplyDeleteAnd speaking of wasps:) Back in the day, I hung my clothes on an outdoor line to dry. When the HH put on his jeans, there was a wasp inside one of the legs and--yup you guessed it--it stung him. Needless to say, he's not a wasp fan.
I can see why!
DeleteYou are indeed lucky, David, to have so much lovely nature next door to you, and thank you, as always, for sharing the wealth.
ReplyDeleteXO
WWW
I always think of wasps as looking like bees, but the second one you showed I might have mistaken for a flying ant. Still, I don't see why I would get stung for getting the species wrong.
ReplyDeleteYes, David, it is wonderful to have this park so close by as it obviously has a rich abundance of bird, plant and insect life, all of which were lovely aside from the wasps. I have never been stung by one but always give them a wide berth.
ReplyDeleteI actually just remembered a third wasp sting. I went into the shower not realizing that a wasp was on the floor and stepped on it. Not surprisingly it stung me on the sole of my foot, an experience not recommended to anyone!
DeleteHari OM
ReplyDeleteIndeed, to have such a park nearby is one of life's blessings... and I love your variety of wasps! Like you, I was stung on only one occasion that comes to mind and that was in association with a picnic. Otherwise, they just go about life like the rest of us. YAM xx
(NB; now posts are not appearing at all on my reader - where possible and time permitting I am tracking down some of my regulars, but there may be gaps...)
Same here, YAM. No new posts in the reading list. If it’s not one thing it’s another!
DeleteHello David,
ReplyDeleteA wonderful series of photos from your walk.
The Northern Cardinal and the Blue Jay are my favorites.
All the best, Irma
You've had some great sightings! The goldenrod is definitely out in force, isn't it? What a great background it makes for some of these creatures! I look forward to seeing cardinals again soon.
ReplyDeleteHello David :)
ReplyDeleteIt's been too long since I visited your amazing blog, but now It's cooler and it even rained again today so I'm back blogging and visiting as usual. Like most of the previous comments I think you are very fortunate to live so near a park which is rich in all kinds of wildlife. It's lovely to see so many beautiful birds, insects, and flowers. I love the pretty Aster and also the Eastern Wood Pewee So far I have never been stung by either a bee or a wasp. I think they must sense fear, and I'm perfectly at ease whilst photographing them,
and I feel they know I do not wish to harm them. I'm sorry you got stung under your foot David it must have been quite painful but ofcourse accidents happen, and you can't blame the bee.which lost it's life for being stud on.. I'm rambling a bit now, forgive me David but I'm so happy to be back, and visiting my friends, Hugs and kisses,
Sonjia-
Beautiful nature so close to your front door :)
ReplyDeleteI did enjoy seeing your photographs.
All the best Jan
Love the photo of the Northern Cardinal and all those photos are good.
ReplyDeleteI have only been stung a few times in my life. Now that I like photographing them, I am not so afraid of them. Ground bees are a different sort though and they are nasty.
ReplyDeleteLove the variety of birds, our area has gone quiet as many of the beautiful song birds have left.
I still appreciate the ones that hang around.
Enjoy more walks, so much to see!
Hello David,
ReplyDeleteMy blog list isn't updating, so I had to visit your blog to see if you had a new post.
As you know, I really like Blue Jays. We have so few blue birds here, and it's a shame.
The aster is very lovely, too. The rabbit is so cute, but I remember you writing that Miriam doesn't like them much because they ruin the garden. I think I’d go crazy having them visit my garden. Fortunately, there are no rabbits here.
Hugs and kisses, Marit
A wonderful series of photos and, of course, I am partial to the cardinal.
ReplyDeleteCoucou David! 👋 such lovely little creatures, i really enjoyed seeing all these animals and birds from the park. At one point i felt like little red riding hood walking through the woods... or maybe Alice in wonderland! 😊 It must be lovely to have a place like this just five minutes from home. Gros bisous 😘😘😘🌷
ReplyDeleteI wish I had a park like this one near my house !
ReplyDeleteGreat pictures ! Your "neighbourgs" are beautiful !
Bisous et bonne semaine !
Anna
David....Apologies for my absence from your website, the link to you in my sidebar on B2B isn't being updated at the moment for a reason I'm not able to explain, and I'm left thinking your last post was 5 days ago!. My enquiries are ongoing about this error, meanwhile I can only promise to be 'back soon'.
ReplyDeleteRegards....Pete.
Everyone is having the same problem, Pete. It has been five days. Are they going to fix it? I am starting to wonder.
DeleteYou are indeed lucky to have a park so close by your home - I assume that five minutes distance is by walking and not by car. My closest "park" - the rural cemetery - is a ten minute walk from my home which, of course, is very manageable except when it is hot. The cemetery also has a beautiful native garden. However, we have different birds, of course, except for the American Robin and the Downy Woodpecker. I wouldn't mind the Northern Cardinal which I have only seen once in my life when I was in Pennsylvania. Recently I have noticed more White-breasted Nuthatches at my feeders which makes me very happy. I'm waiting for some of my favorite birds to return, like the Golden-crowned Sparrow and White-crowned Sparrow. Not much longer I assume. I'm sending you big hugs - Carola
ReplyDeleteYes, five minutes walk, Carola.
DeleteWonderful observations, David! Excellent photos as always!
ReplyDeleteIt looks like a lovely walk with the birds and flowers. I can never get over the colour of those cardinals. Happy strolling. Enjoy your week, and thankyou for visiting my blog last week. I am so behind in replying!
ReplyDeleteI was just thinking whether I should do a hairstyle like the one the northern cardinal has.
ReplyDeleteI think you should, Sami. Be sure to post pictures!
DeleteMuy lindo también este reportaje
ReplyDeletelas aves siempre dan ese encanto especial
en cuanto a su diversidad y cantos
muy interesante todo!
Hi David,
ReplyDeleteMy reading list was just updated today. There seems to be a problem with Blogger, which explains my late response. It was the kind of outing we’ve come to expect from you—comprehensive and very informative. That cardinal always stands out with its beautiful color.
Best regards, Frank
Zdravím, Davide,
ReplyDeletečlánek jsem našla až dnes, protože můj seznam navštěvovaných blogů Blogger stále neaktualizuje.
Článek je poučný, děkuji za ty latinské názvy, podle nich pak vyhledám o ptákovi nebo živočichovi více. Cyanocitta cristata žije podle Wikipedie jen v Americe, u nás žije sojka obecná (Garrulus glandarius) a má přezdívku "strážce lesa".
Cardinalis cardinalis je pro nás Evropany neznámý, také žije jen v určité části amerického kontinentu. Díky vám tyto ptáky poznám.
Nevěděla jsem, že nejznámějším ptákem u vás je červenka americká ( Turdus migratorius ) , u nás je rozšířena červenka obecná ( Erithacus rubecula) a zaujalo mě, že v náboženských příbězích se tento pták vyskytuje v souvislosti se soucitem. Věřilo se totiž, že zpíval do ucha Ježíše, když byl ukřižován, v té době měl tento pták na těle pouze hnědé tóny, ale jeho hruď zčervenala - Kristova krev ho poskvrnila. Jiný příběh vypráví, že jeho hruď má tuto barvu kvůli ohni, který ho spálil, když nesl vodu duším, které byly v očistci.
Jsem ráda, že uvádíte případy bodnutí vosou (nebo včelou), spousta lidí je alergická. Někdo možná ty vosy přitahuje. ☺
Máte v blízkosti bydliště krásný park a bohatý svými obyvateli. S pozdravem Hanka
I'm not sure why I'm not receiving notification of your new posts. I had to go looking for this one since I hadn't seen anything from you in a while. I'm glad I did. Wonderful images from your walk. I especially love the Wood-Pewee which I almost never see anymore. And the asters and goldenrod are so gorgeous - the wonderful colors of autumn. Thank you for sharing them.
ReplyDeleteBlogger was having issues. If you continue without seeing my posts maybe try subscribing to notification by email.
DeleteTambién me gustaría pasear por ahí, se ven muchas aves, plantas e insectos preciosos. Te dejo un abrazo fuerte, querido amigo.
ReplyDelete