Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Outing to the Health Valley Trail, St. Jacobs, ON with Sahaja Yoga Group

26 September, 2026 


     I had the distinct pleasure of leading a walk for a Sahaja Yoga group, as fine a group of people as you could wish to encounter. Sahaja Yoga is a simple form of meditation founded by Shri Mataji Nirmala Devi in 1970. It focuses on awakening the inner energy known as Kundalini, which is said to rise spontaneously through the subtle energy system and help bring balance, peace and inner awareness. The practice is free and can be learned by anyone. It includes meditation and simple techniques to help maintain inner balance in everyday life
     Our principal focus was intended to be birds, but birds were very sparse that morning and a good deal of our time was spent with many of the plants of the area.
     At the very beginning, however, a cooperative Killdeer (Charadrius vociferus) preened, pranced, walked, fed and posed for us, giving everyone a chance to see this delightful little plover. 


     Soon it will be migrating out of our area to spend the winter in warmer climes. It returns early in spring, however, often making an appearance in local fields by early March. It is always uplifting to hear its familiar call as it flies overhead.


     Small numbers of American Herring Gulls (Larus smithsonianus) are starting to arrive from their breeding territories in northern Ontario; two were on the river upstream from where we observed the Killdeer. 


     Himalayan Balsam (Impatiens glandulifera) was blooming prolifically, as one might expect, and the seed pods are now in their explosive phase, causing a few laughs as people were startled by them.


     Some of the flowers still contained copious volumes of sweet nectar and Common Eastern Bumbles Bees (Bombus impatiens) were quick to exploit this resource.


     New England Aster (Symphiotrichum novae-angliae) remains always and forever one of my favourite flowers. 


     Chicory (Cichorium intybus) thrills me equally.


     It was very satisfying for me to be able to share these wonders of nature with a very receptive group of people, whose lifestyle is permeated with sensitivity and the embrace of the living world.

Photo: Gita Pattison

     What a pleasure it is to see happy faces.

Photo: Gita Pattison

     We heard the familiar refrain of Canada Geese (Branta canadensis) announcing their presence overhead as a small skein flew towards the river.


     It is always for me a stirring sound, emblematically Canadian. These are OUR birds - and they have conquered the world!
     Goldenrod (genus Solidago) is glorious. How could one not be enchanted by this scintillating bloom?


      It is a fine thing to encounter goldenrod on a beautiful fall day.


     One might imagine sitting amongst it with a glass of wine, listening to one of the late string quartets by Beethoven. How sublime that would be.
     Turkey Vultures (Cathartes aura) are starting to migrate and we caught a glimpse of a couple as they rode the thermals with consummate grace.


     These enigmatic birds, nature's sanitation engineers, have greatly expanded their presence in recent years; they are very welcome in my world.
     This is but a brief encapsulation of our outing together. There was much more, not the least of which was laughter, friendship and learning, and the chance to get to know each other.
     I feel confident in saying that a fine time was enjoyed by all. And we already have plans to do it again!

 
     
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

42 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Delightful - the smiles tell all! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again some birds that I have never seen over here...and those Asters are truly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good birds and very pretty flowers with smiling Yoga people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I was in the UP of Michigan we encountered so many American Herring Gulls! Now I can say I've seen the live and up close.

    The New England Aster is so beautiful, the colors are outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are wonderful tours that you take people on. I know they are much appreciative learning from you. The happy faces tell the story. Have a great day today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great group. That Sahaja Yoga sounds like an interesting thing to learn. And I love that you had 2 dogs in your group. I bet they enjoyed the walk also. Maybe they scared off the birds, but the ones at my house don't seem to be dog shy at all. You remind me I need to put my bird feeders back out now that the pouring rain has stopped. I didn't feed them while away because I figured it would be too much temptation for bears. Have a super rest of September hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do an incredibly wonderful job with people. And that photo of the Canada geese is truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful flowers and happy people!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful group to walk in nature with. I used to see kildees frequently when we first moved out here but I think it's been several years since I've seen a single one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have asters blooming along the roads here now. They are a nice color change.
    Will you be taking the homeschoolers out again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. October 10 is my next date with the home school group.

      Delete
  11. I do love the Canada Goose! They are feisty and don’t stand for nonsense. Yay for Canada! Beautiful photos as always!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hola, David.
    Es genial lo que haces, y por supuesto satisfactorio. ¡Qué suerte!
    Un abrazo y sigue disfrutando.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Con paseos así, es fácil ver caras felices. La naturaleza y su magia amigo.
    Buena seman David.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A post full of great photographs . . . I do think those Asters look beautiful.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  15. i sometimes see turkey vultures, aka buzzards, in the Cleveland Metroparks. They're said to roost in nearby Hinckley.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Leading such a mindful group along the trail must have made the quiet morning feel even more special. Those popping Himalayan Balsam seed pods always bring out such spontaneous laughter when they catch you off guard. Pairing the sight of bright autumn goldenrod with good conversation sounds like a truly lovely way to spend a day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good morning, dear David—it was wonderful to experience this sunrise with you, your commentary, and your beautiful photos, all while enjoying my cup of coffee... and you know, I actually practiced some Tai Chi on the terrace this morning, looking out over the fields, so I was especially open to your post today.
    Warm regards and all the best.
    Viola

    ReplyDelete
  18. It’s so nice to head out into nature with a group of people who practice yoga.
    I practiced yoga for years too, but I had to stop because of the coronavirus pandemic, I still do yoga exercises at home every day.
    You saw a lot and took some beautiful photos, David.
    All the best, Irma

    ReplyDelete
  19. We were startled to see so many beautiful flowers in Chicago and in Michigan on our recent visit to these spots. At home, along the Texas Gulf Coast, late summer is not a big time for flowers. We don't have huge fields of goldenrod, though we do find little patches of it here and there. Your photos are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goldenrod is a pollinator magnet. Check them carefully for insects.

      Delete
  20. David, You are an engaging writer, and I enjoyed reading your descriptions of the flowers and the birds. I go to a yoga class twice a week that ends with a short meditation- it does feel good. Beautiful flowers and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The smiling faces says it all. Interesting people and a thirst for more knowledge about nature. The flowers and photos are wonderful to see.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great photos of both birds and flowers, David. New England Aster is a favorite of mine, too. Chicory is also so beautiful with its lovely blue color. Unfortunately, it doesn't grow here—I suspect the winter is too cold for it, though I’m not certain. At any rate, it doesn't grow wild here. Canada geese frequent the area where my son has a cabin. Canada is connected to Norway in many ways these days.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the friendship deepens and our people join in a cooperative partnership stronger than ever before, Marit.

      Delete
  23. Chicory and New England Aster are beautiful blooms especially at this time of year and Goldenrod always presents such a cheerful color. It looks like the group had an enjoyable outing with a knowledgeable guide, David.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I guess you can never be sure of the bird population as you set out on your adventures..I must say that most of the time your knowledge of their habits allows you to find plenty of worthy subjects about which to speak! I'm sure your outings are a success even if the topic strays off course a bit. Last week I planted some New England Aster in my garden and last weekend I painted a Chicory stem!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your New England Aster will take care of itself and bring you pleasure for years.

      Delete
  25. The flying geese -- what an incredible photo! Rick and I have said sometime we must make enough time while in Canada to see if you could take us on our walk. When I told Suzanne that, she said, "Can I come too!" Someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you are in Stratford you are about fifty minutes from my front door.

      Delete
  26. How fun to have an outing with a new group of people who are now friends.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Dear David,
    I particularly enjoyed this walk because two quite different parts of your post felt very familiar to me.
    I know Sahaja Yoga meditation and meditation is also part of my own life. Hans and I often meditate together, so I could very well understand why a group interested in meditation might also be especially receptive to a morning spent quietly observing the natural world around them.
    I was also delighted to discover that all the plants you showed are familiar to me in Germany. Himalayan Balsam, chicory, goldenrod and New England aster can all be found in my surroundings. It is rather lovely to think that while you were walking along a trail in Ontario, you were looking at flowers that I might encounter on one of my own walks here.
    Your description of sitting among the goldenrod with a glass of wine and one of Beethoven’s late string quartets made me smile. That sounds like a rather splendid way to celebrate an autumn afternoon.
    But perhaps the nicest part of your outing was what cannot really be captured in a photograph: laughter, friendship, shared curiosity and the pleasure of introducing other people to things you know and love. The happy faces suggest that another outing is definitely called for.
    Best wishes,
    Anette

    ReplyDelete
  28. Coucou David! beautiful outing. Such a lovely group of people, and that striking pinkish-red flower, with the little bee drinking its nectar, is simply wonderful, a precious moment captured in your photos. 🌸🐝 Thanks for sharing these lovely glimpses into your days! Gros bisous dear prof & friend o mine 💕

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great shots! I don’t see killdeer very often, but they are interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi David,
    Small group and a short blog post, yet written in a very exciting and interesting way once again.
    Best regards, Frank

    ReplyDelete
  31. We have chicory here in the roadsides. Nice to see all these smiling people.

    ReplyDelete
  32. It looks like a delightful bunch Love that smile. I had hear of kundaline but never knew what it meant So learned something again. Great you still got to see the kildeer and the gull I love that Chicory flower Its pretty You are doing quite a lot of walks

    ReplyDelete
  33. Such lovely photos. It sounds as though the lack of birds simply gave everyone more time to appreciate the flowers and the beautiful surroundings. The happy faces really do say it all!

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers