Friday, September 18, 2026

Health Valley Trail, Waterloo, ON

05 August, 2026 

     It has been a long time coming, but here is a report of a visit to the Health Valley Trail, where we were joined by Victoria.
     A Common Eastern Bumble Bee (Bombus impatiens), taking advantage of the wide array of flowers in bloom, greeted us almost as soon as we set foot on the path.


     Seven-spotted Lady Beetles (Coccinella septempunctata) are voracious consumers of aphids and other insects; no doubt this individual was probing for a meal.


     We have not seen many Monarchs (Danaus plexippus) this year so every sighting brings joy and hope.


     I believe this ghostly insect is a Northern Corn Rootworm (Diabrotica barberi).


     I don't recall ever seeing it before, but there is a large field planted with corn adjacent to the path.
     Hadrophallus bubalus is a very attractive little treehopper.



     Wood Germander (Teucrium canadense) was blooming nicely.


     Greenbottle Flies (genus Lucilia) are quite beautiful, but difficult to separate as to species.


     Two-horned Treehopper (Stictocephala diceros) feeds on the juices of various plants.


     This Banded Harvestman (Leiobunum vittatum) was perhaps on patrol searching for aphids.


     Elecampane (Inula helenium) was in full bloom.


     Giant Ragweed (Ambrosia trifida) is the bane of those people who suffer from seasonal allergies.


     Common Whitetail (Plathemis lydia) is one of our most common dragonflies; here is a female.


     Wild Teasel (Dipsacus fullonum) was introduced from Europe to North America, and has become a serious invasive pest in some areas. 


     Its seeds are valued and exploited by American Goldfinches (Spinus tristis), especially in winter.
     Small White (Pieris rapae), sometimes referred to as Cabbage White, is often abundant; at certain times of the year it is possibly our most frequently observed butterfly.


     The larvae of Lappet Moths (family Lasiocampidae) are apt to cause some people to recoil in horror!


     A Black Swallowtail (Papilo polyxenes), on the other hand, produces exactly the opposite effect.


     It's always a good idea to leave a European Paper Wasp (Polistes dominula) to go about its business.


     We had not seen a single Monarch caterpillar this year, so it was especially encouraging to come across this individual.


     On the way back to the car, two other butterflies shared their day with us - a Monarch-mimicking Viceroy (Limentis archippus).....


     ..... and a Summer Azure (Celastrina neglecta).


     
It had been a very pleasant walk on a warm and sunny August day.
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

49 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Gorgeous! Thank you for all the variety of wings that were not feathered... and memories of summer, which are already starting to feel distant after two weeks of wet and blustery autumnal weather here by the Clyde! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely assortment of critters. That Viceroy is particularly beautiful. There are still a few Monarchs around, and still two Hummers. The Hummers are usually gone by now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Complimenti per le foto!OLga

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many creatures in our world going about doing their jobs. Lovely photos of some of them David.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always love lady beetles! Lots of wild teasels over here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favourite photo is the gorgeous ladybug on those bright yellow flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You sure found an array of insects!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Insects are so interesting. Looks like a very pleasant walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And they are vital components of a healthy ecosystem.

      Delete
  9. A pleasant walk indeed David !
    Your pictures are gorgeous !
    Insects are tiny but they are essential ! They seem to fade aways...as some birds...
    Bon weekend !
    Bisous
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi David, beautiful photos of the insects. We have many bee's and ladybugs in our yard in the summer. Have a nice weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dein Bericht ist wie ein Rückblick auf den vergehenden Sommer. in diesem Jahr konnte ich zu Hause kaum Schmetterlinge beobachten. Sogar die Buddleja stand verwaist da.
    Ich dachte bisher immer, dass die Wilde Karde aus Amerika stammt. Um so erstaunter bin ich, das es genau umgekehrt ist. Sie wächst hier an den Bahndämmen und auf Schutthalden. Auf den kleinen Blüten tummeln sich im frühen Sommer die Bienen.
    Viele Grüße Anette

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your walks are always so pleasant and full of nature's beauty, David. I enjoy each single one from afar (it would be so much better in person though). I'm wondering where this trail got its name from, Health Valley. Do you happen to know? I haven't seen a Monarch butterfly so far this year, but I've noticed more butterflies than usual (and also way more lizards). I agree about the invasiveness of Wild Teasel - we have a lot of that here, too. However, I do like it. Unfortunately, it is often the case that invasive plants are beautiful. Our lake has a real problem with water hyazinth which is heavily invasive, but the flower is also very beautiful. It looks gorgeous when it spreads out in the water, but still I wish it wasn't there. I used to see three kinds of herons there as well as egrets, but not anymore which makes me profoundly sad. Maybe one day our regional parks will have enough money to hire more staff and deal with this. I can dream, can't I? Big hugs to you up North - Carola

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello David, stunning butterflies, Caterpillar, insects and plants. The Monarch caterpillar is my favorite this time. This post apeared on the reading list, but not in the readinglist on my blog. So not all is working well. But it is better than no information at all.
    Warm regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
  14. David, these photos are extraordinary. So many beautiful winged ones. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Que buena colección y también paseo. Me ha encantado ver todos esto bichitos en su hábitat. Gracias David.
    Buen fin de semana.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Through your narration and the beautiful photographs I thoroughly enjoyed the visit to the Health Valley Trail.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm sure nothing like the butterfly it will eventually turn into, but the caterpillar has an interesting design.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Coucou cher David! :D I liked the little ladybug and that tiny aphid that looks almost like a dried leaf, nature never stops surprising us! It must have been a lovely day to spend among all those flowers and little creatures. 🍂🌿🍂🍂
    Enjoy these first days of autumn, with their softer light. Gros bisous from cold Argentina, the warm weather is still refusing to show up around here. It has been a long winter.🌹

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi David,
    It’s always fascinating to see the tiny creatures you find; I only ever spot the big ones... The butterfly photos are excellent—the Black Swallowtail is my favorite.
    Best regards, Frank

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wrote a comment to you yesterday, David, but it must have gone missing. I’m getting so tired of all these problems with blogs. My reading list hasn’t been updated since September 5th.
    The photos you’re sharing of all the wonderful butterflies around you are beautiful. The Monarch and the Black Swallowtail are so lovely. Unfortunately, we don’t have them here.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello David,
    A wonderful series of photos.
    I think the monarch butterflies are beautiful, but I also really like the ladybug and the caterpillar.
    I wish you a lovely weekend.
    All the best, Irma

    ReplyDelete
  22. Along the trail on a sunlit day,
    small wonders greeted you on your way—
    beetles, blossoms and butterflies bright,
    each one a jewel in nature’s light.
    Thank you, David, for helping us see
    how grand the smallest life can be.

    PS David, In the last few days, I’ve thought of you as I’ve been thinking about purchasing a new hat I saw advertised online. It’s a baseball style cap with this embroidery on the front: LAKE ONTARIO Est. 1615. 😊 I’m thinking it will be fun to wear it and see what kind of reactions I get from my fellow humans. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hat sounds fabulous, John. If you decide to buy it and wear it, let me know the kind of reaction you get. It would be a big hit here!

      Delete
  23. I enjoy the weekend David, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Now it’s my turn to ask for a favor. Would you ask those butterflies to fly into our yard next summer, for example?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have issued appropriate instructions. Whether they will be obeyed is another matter entirely!

      Delete
    2. We'll see if they come. At least you tried.

      Delete
  25. To Europa z Kanadą wymieniły się roślinami inwazyjnymi. Teraz jest czas kwitnienia nawłoci kanadyjskiej, która jest poważnym problemem w Polsce. ;-) Kolejny raz z radością podążam za Tobą obserwując owady. Oman u nas jest rośliną ozdobną, uprawiamy go w ogrodach. Piękny jest!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Davide,
    pokud jste celoživotní ornitolog, pak je celý váš život spojený s přírodou. Hezky umíte podat i vaše fotografické úlovky. Zaujal mě Danaus plexippus, který se u nás jmenuje monarcha stěhovavý. Našla jsem, že to je denní motýl z čeledi babočkovitých. Každoročně v obrovských hejnech putuje do středního Mexika (přesněji Sierra Nevada), kde přežívá zimu. To znamená, že opět ho nemohu znát, protože podle mapy výskytu nežije v Evropě. V Kanadě má jedno ze svých líhnišť.
    Dipsacus fullonum je u nás zvaná Štětka, byla zavlečená z Evropy a stala se invazivním druhem. To mohu potvrdit, kolikrát čtu o druzích zavlečených do Evropy z Ameriky či z Asie a po čase se tyto stávají invazivními. Tak je to i s novými druhy berušek u nás, které jsou větší a agresivnější, prý z Asie a hubí ty naše tradiční berušky sedmitečné.
    Také se připojuji ke komentáři od Marit, problémy Bloggeru trvají už dlouho a moje články nejsou aktualizovány, ani seznam blogů ke čtení. Nevím, co s tím.
    Přeji příjemný víkend a další přírodopisné vycházky. Hanka

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lovely! You must pay extremely close attention to see those insects. The photos really show the beauty of each one. The Viceroy is new to me and now i wonder if we have them, and if i assumed they were Monarchs.
    My sister used to make little people from the teaser tops for a craft collective. They were cute ornaments for a Christmas tree. I think I still have one somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Just a few weeks ago and I'm sure it's quite a different walk now as the seasons change :-) I just finished a book abut butterflies in Denmark, so I found those photos particularly interesting today.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Banded Harvestman has to be one of my favourite insect names of all time! Lovely collection from your keen eye. You teach many of us to pay attention to the "littles of life."
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi David..Loved your (Miriams) pictures..Beautiful!! We have an abundance of Monarchs here because most of the neighbors raise them..It's easy to see when they have hatched,,I don't imagine that they survive very long but it's a fun hobby for some..Beautiful to see when they are present.
    I saw a Hummingbird yesterday in my garden..I suspect that they have pretty much headed south by now...I think the seasons these days have everything confused..

    ReplyDelete
  31. Lovely to see the Monarch. I haven't had many butterflies around the farm this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Overall they seem to have been scarce this year, but recently they have been quite plentiful, thank goodness!

      Delete
  32. The warm tones of the insects are pleasing.

    ReplyDelete
  33. David!
    Your walk sounds like a wonderful way to spend time. Such close encounters with nature and insect macro photography can be incredibly calming, opening our eyes to details we usually overlook entirely. Wildflowers hold extraordinary beauty, and many of them have fascinating histories and medicinal properties. Sending September greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hello David,
    You managed to photograph the flowers and insects very beautifully. I see so many different insects and dragonflies. The butterflies and caterpillars are also so beautiful. I consider these to be truly wonderful nature moments when you see these little creatures :-)
    I also immediately believe that this was a very pleasant walk.
    Kind regards,
    Helma

    ReplyDelete
  35. I got stuck admiring those amazing butterflies, and I’ll join Sami’s wish—could you ask the butterflies to fly over here to us too! All the best to You!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Fascinating small creatures and beautiful plants. I didn't know Opiliones are called harvestmen in English. Such an interesting Order, developed already a very long time ago.
    Thank you for your latest comment. I really hope Blogger will start to work normally.
    Have a pleasant week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Amazing observations. I didnt know Monarchs bred in your area, what Asclepias is that caterpillar in your photo feeding on?
    Thank you for taking us along with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Asclepias syrica, Guillermo, known as Common Milkweed in English. This is the first year in several that we have not raised Monarchs at home.

      Delete
  38. Dear David,
    I really enjoyed going for a walk with you all again. The photo of the seven-spot ladybug is a radiant feast for the eyes (that one deserves to be enlarged and hung on the wall 😍)! Unfortunately, I’ve also read in other blogs that there are few monarch butterflies around this year... As for the teasel—which American goldfinches love to eat—that’s probably similar to the late-flowering black cherry (*Prunus serotina*); it’s considered invasive in Europe, yet it feeds the caterpillars of the scarce swallowtail butterfly... These days, it’s hard to know for sure what is good and what isn’t. (Though I’m pretty certain that most of what comes with climate change is NOT good... 😬)
    All the best from Austria 🤗
    Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2026/09/sommerliche-tage-ein-bunter.html

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hallo David,

    Een serie met prachtige insecten en vlinders, ook een insect trouwens. Soorten die we hier in Europa niet zien, zoals b.v. de monarchvlinder, een prachtige soort. Wel zien we die hier vaak in natuurdocumentaires en dan met name de trek van de monarchvlinder met hun massale slaapplaatsen in de bomen. De rups van de monarch is ook al zo prachtig. De zwarte zwaluwstaartvlinder en de Summer Azure zijn ook al zo'n mooie exemplaren. Genoeg interessants gezien weer David tijdens deze mooie tocht.

    Hartelijke groeten,
    Ad

    ReplyDelete
  40. That Lady Beetle knows the best place to pose on a sunny day! What good fortune for a photographer! Lots of fun sightings, here, David.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I saw my first Small Whites when we visited Chicago last week, and they were abundant. We have Little Yellows along the Texas Gulf Coast, and they are also abundant.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Excellent post, showcasing a wonderful diversity of insects that thrive in the summer. Beautiful photos. Best regards.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Creo que yo también te había dejado un comentario. El reportaje me parece super precioso, me encantan las mariposas y todos los insectos. Abrazos.

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers