Sunday, August 23, 2026

Victoria, BC - Part 9

 27 June, 2026
Oak Bay - Emily Carr Museum - Ogden Point

     We had a bit of a late start and went down to the shore to have a coffee and blueberry scone, and a walk around the harbour. It was a pleasant way to pass an hour.
     Our friend, Kathy Waybrant, had mentioned to us that the Emily Carr House was well worth a visit so that's where we headed.



     We were very happy to visit the home of this Canadian artistic icon and to learn details of her life.



     Her distinctive style was very pleasing.



     The gardens were delightful; no doubt they were when Emily tended them.




     We stopped by a bakery to pick up buns for lunch and returned home, where we had sliced meats and cheese in the fridge.
     Guess who was there to greet us!


     After lunch we decided to ascend to the summit of Mount Tolmie.


     In the past we have meandered the trails there with great success, but on this occasion a musical event of some kind was being set up, and sound tests were already being performed.


     We left!
     Ogden Point seemed like an appealing alternative.


     The fishing was good that day.



     An ice cream store beckoned.


     What were we to do?


     A Yellow-faced Bumble Bee (Bombus vosnesenskii) was seeking nectar in a California Poppy (Eschscholzia californica).


     Pleasure craft were out on a fine summer day.


     Here is the reason for the fishing frenzy we were witnessing.


     I believe these are huge shoals of Northern Anchovy (Engraulis mordax).


     As we made our way back to the car there was sufficient breeze to unfurl the provincial flag.


     As we passed Beacon Hill Park we noticed the Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) on its familiar perch at the top of a totem pole and pulled over to take a picture.


     In no time at all we were back on home turf.


     We had planned to go out for dinner and had made a reservation at Le Pho restaurant, thinking it would be necessary on a Friday night. Sadly, we were the only diners there.
     The food was delicious and we wondered why the place was not crowded.




     For us it was a fine way to end another glorious day in beautiful British Columbia.
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

60 comments:

  1. Beautiful. So relaxing to wander at will and observe stuff, especially in an unfamiliar environment.
    The wandering deer are interesting, but afraid they make this gardener cringe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    Thank you for the introduction to Emily Carr, an artist I hiterhto did not know... just spent a pleasant half hour reading up and viewing artworks online! Your meal looked scrumptious (Thai food rarely disappoints), what a shame they were not busy - perhaps delivery orders? YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that you spent a happy half hour with Emily.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely day. The museum looks interesting, and I like the visitor you found in your garden on your return!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily Carr Museum looks interesting with green lawns and a few flowers outside. I've never seen so many fish all in one spot, guess I've never been in the right place at the right time.
    I like the looks of your meals, and like you I wonder why no one else was there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to visit Emily Carr museum! Actually I can't remember when I last visit one. Food looks great :-))

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...what a gorgeous and yummy part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been there five times, Tom, (or is it six?), so that tells you how I feel about it.

      Delete
  7. The Emily Carr museum looks like a great place to visit. Thanks for sharing all the photos. Do you ever tire of seeing a bald eagle? I still get so excited!!! I'm assuming from the name,Le Pho restaurant, is Vietnamese- One of our favorite cuisines. Funny they had no other customers . Maybe you went early? Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, we never tire of seeing Bald Eagles. As for the restaurant we arrived there around 6:00 pm and by the time we left it was around 7:15 pm and during that entire time we were the only diners. On a Friday night?

      Delete
  8. I love Emily Carr's work, and I didn't know her home was a museum. That would be an interesting place to visit, although probably not as spectacular as her art. And it looks like another nice day on Vancouver Island. Plus ice cream and Asian food, what else would you need for a good day? hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  9. The eagle was so proud to be on the top of the totem, and I like the contrast between the Bumble Bee and the yellow flower. Great photo of the seagulls looking for supper. Interesting information about that Canadian artist I didn't know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like a great place to visit, David. I was completely captivated by the beautiful garden there. Beautiful deer too. They are so pretty in the pictures, but I don't want them visiting my garden.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful area. I would have avoided the music, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just based on the sound checks I knew it would be an affront to my ears!

      Delete
  12. We just discovered a new small batch handmade ice cream shop in the next town over. Fortunately the market at the community center here stocks it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is a beautiful province. Victoria is a lovely city, as well. I do wish we could travel.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glorious does definitely apply, doesn't it, David. You two take the best outings and love your door greeter:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is an amazing adventure. It' so pretty there. The photo of all the fish is a Wow photo. The food looks very good. Too bad there were no customers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the Carr house. It reminds me of many that I knew in my childhood. And that old sewing machine - my mother had one like that and she sewed many of my clothes on it in those days. And now you've made me hungry with all that delicious-looking food. Time for a late Sunday lunch, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hallo David,

    dieser Beitrag hat mir besonders gut gefallen, weil diesmal nicht die Vogelwelt im Mittelpunkt stand. Den Besuch im Emily Carr House fand ich sehr interessant. Ein ehemaliges Wohnhaus vermittelt oft viel mehr über einen Menschen als ein gewöhnliches Museum, weil man sich viel besser vorstellen kann, wie jemand gelebt und gearbeitet hat.

    Auch die Verbindung von Kunst, Garten und anschließendem Spaziergang am Wasser gefällt mir sehr. Solche Tage haben etwas angenehm Ungeplantes. Erst Kultur, dann Natur, ein Eis zwischendurch und am Ende ein gutes Essen.

    Schmunzeln musste ich über eure schnelle Flucht vom Mount Tolmie, als die Soundchecks begannen. Manchmal ist die beste Entscheidung tatsächlich, einfach weiterzuziehen.

    Und dass ein so gutes Restaurant an einem Freitagabend fast leer war, ist wirklich erstaunlich. Nach den Bildern hätte ich dort ebenfalls gern gegessen.

    Herzliche Grüße
    Anette

    ReplyDelete
  18. David, your visit to Emily Carr House, was a lovely reminder in many ways, of the day we visited Dove Cottage, the home of William Wordsworth at Grasmere, and was granted the privilege of the key to the garden for a private viewing....Halcyon days, as I'm sure yours was with Emily Carr. The food at Le Pho looks positively as delicious as you have said, and thank you for Part 9 of the trip to Bc David.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to visit Dove Cottage. I took an online course on Wordsworth a few years ago.

      Delete
  19. Looks and sounds a lovely day.
    An interesting visit to the museum.
    Your food looks delicious.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  20. You had a lovely outing and perfect weather it seems as well. TOo bad the restaurant only had a few diners as the food looked very good in the photos. Ice cream is always our choice of dessert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We seldom eat dessert after dinner, but our go-to decadence has been ice cream this year. We have indulged at least four times.

      Delete
  21. The last time I stopped by Travels With Birds was 19 July when I left a comment on Victoria BC Part 3. Realizing that Parts 4 through 9 have now been published … the first word that came to mind … AMAZING! 😊 Since the posts are all about the same city, I trust you’ll be OK with notes about favorites here. Part 4 … The Indian Peafowl … what a magnificent bird and so interesting how it has spilled out of the Park and into residential neighborhoods. The cruise ship at Ogden Point is the Virgin Brilliant Lady. She’s been on 7-day round trips from Seattle to Alaska, most of the summer, and one stop on the itinerary is Victoria. Part 5 … Miriam standing against one of the giant coastal trees … in Goldstream Provincial Park. I sure didn’t realize such giant trees were around Victoria. Part 6 … Swan Lake … Thanks for all the pics … I need to put that nature sanctuary on my list of places to see. Part 7 … Once again, you introduce me to a new place to check out … Thetis Lake Regional Park. So many neat photos! Part 8 … Thanks for taking me along on your outing to explore Cattle Point and adjacent Uplands Park. Part 9 … Two brand new things, to me, to know about … the Oak Bay neighborhood of Victoria … and Mount Tolmie. Really nice views from up there! Couldn’t believe the Le Pho restaurant with delicious food and yet empty except for the two of you. Now, knowing you’ve been in Victoria for just over a week, I’m wondering if this Part 9 will be the last for this visit? Thanks for sharing so many great photos and details of your visit. John

    ReplyDelete
  22. You have certainly shared many lovely times you had on your trip. The museum looked very interesting. It seemed like that beautiful buck was your constant companion.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Emily Carr is new to me, but I like those pictures you show.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello David,
    Beautiful series of photos from your trip
    I think the bald eagle on the totem pole is very beautiful.
    The food looks delicious.
    I wish you a wonderful week.
    All the best, Irma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can see that it has been perching there for a long time!

      Delete
  25. I KNEW IT! I knew there was going to be a photo of a deer when I read 'Guess who was there to greet us!' Haha. Another lovely post with beautiful photos, those gardens at Emily Carr's house do look like a good place for pollinators. And the food looks delightful. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. That's a gorgeous picture of the bald eagle. No one can pass up an ice cream shop!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks like a lovely place to visit and explore.

    ReplyDelete
  28. You certainly made the most of your trip! Thanks for sharing it with us :-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oooh what treats. Definitely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Asian food, ice cream , art and eagles ! Sounds perfect...Another perfect day❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The food was delicious, and nicely presented and the service was great. Perhaps more people, after reading this blog, will give the restaurant a try. I hope so.

      Delete
  31. Looks like a great place - good company, good food, and fish! Sounds like my kind of day.
    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  32. bonjour beau ton billet avec de belles photos qui font voyager, voila c'est la dernière semaine d'aout , Septembre est presque la et l'automne aussi et la rentrée ,passe une belle journée

    ReplyDelete
  33. looks like perfect weather for a lovely day out - the house you visited looks beautifully preserved, and I must say that food you had at the restarurant looks delicious! Have a great week, and thankyou for visiting my blog this week.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Emily Carr is a favourite artist of mine -- I'd love to visit that museum! And I love that bumblebee too.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Taas kerran sain olla mukananne. Kaunista, mielenkiintoista, herkullista.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'm officially hungry now after seeing your yummy food pics. Her house is so pretty, love all the details on the exterior. Smiled when I saw the old Singer, as I have a Treadle Singer here in my office that belong to my Grandmother. I learned to sew on a Treadle that my Mother had, but she traded it in for a new machine, so I've not really used the one I have. I got it from my Dad's older sister when she passed, her daughter didn't want it. I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream, lol. Showing my age for sure repeating that litty ditty, lol.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  37. It sounds like you had another nice day, and the visit to that artist's home was interesting, especially the garden. Are there that many deer there too? We have a bear nearby again, so the deer come close to the houses, which I don't really like. Great sea view and birds! All the best to You!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Dobrý den, Davide,
    strávili jste krásný den. Libí se mi dům Emily Carr. Ta krásná růžovo-fialová květina je Náprstník červený (Digitalis purpurea). Roste také u nás a je to dvouletá prudce jedovatá rostlina z čeledi jitrocelovité!
    Krásné jsou fotky od vody a taková hejna ančoviček u nás neuvidím. ☺ Orla bělohlavého mohu vidět u nás v zoo.
    Jídlo vypadá zajímavě naservírováno, určitě bylo moc dobré.
    Děkuji za zajímavou podívanou a přeji příjemný závěr měsíce srpna. Hanka

    ReplyDelete
  39. Ice cream and Asian food sound perfect to me (I'm hungry now and think I'll cook dinner soon). But what really excited me is the Bald Eagle on top of the totem pole. Big hugs - Carola

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi David! that coffee and blueberry scone at the beginning had already won me over, but British Columbia is so beautiful; it evokes a kind of late summer nostalgia...
    Emily Carr's gorgeous house (an artist I wasn't familiar with), her gardens, the bumblebee among the poppies, the boats, and that eagle on the totem pole—this post is pure gold. I love all about ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  41. So much here I adore! Water! An artist's home (and beautiful art)! Ice Cream! Deer in the yard! An eagle? Could it get better than this?

    ReplyDelete
  42. Emily Carr, not a name I know but I will be looking her up after I have typed this message.
    It sounds like you had a fabulous day. The food looks delicious, but sad you were the only people there as it spoils the atmosphere. I hope this finds you both well. Bisous mon ami, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  43. Great post! Lovely photos and what a treat to catch that Bald Eagle on the totem pole!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Amazing views, of this amazing part of the region. The sea and fish so wonderful. And that dinner looks so jummie I would have enjoyed that for sure.
    Warm regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
  45. Todo me gusta y la comida se ve estupenda. Abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  46. It seems like you had a great time. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  47. what a beautiful home, and I would really like to tour it. Old homes are one of my favorite things to visit. the gull fisherman is my favorite, a stunning photo.. odd they were not busy and the food looks great from here. wish I were there with you, of course they might not let me come back in.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Hi David - I found Emily Carr a fascinating character and still have a number of her books here to read and cogitate - as she was a great traveller around the island. Her home is interesting and was in the process of being 'updated' when I was there ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers