Friday, August 28, 2026

Victoria, BC - Part 10

28 June, 2026
Oak Bay - Mount Tolmie - Golf Course

     We lounged around at home for most of the morning and chatted to Jan. She had things to do and places to be, so Miriam and I went down to the Dockside Eatery for lunch.


     It was very pleasant to sit outside overlooking the harbour. 


         
 Miriam had a breakfast sandwich and I had a turkey and brie sandwich. Both were very good, the taste no doubt enhanced by the ambiance of the moment.
     American Crows (Corvus brachyrynchos) were always present.


     I am sure they are rewarded from time to time with scraps tossed by friendly (or sated) humans.


     Rock Doves (Columba livia) were equally attentive.


     A Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias) stalked its prey with infinite patience.


     There were numerous art installations around the harbour, always interesting. It seems to me that it is one of the hallmarks of a civilized society that attention is paid to the aesthetic in addition to the utilitarian.



     This is a hybrid gull (interbreeding is rife), generally identified as Olympic Gull (Larus glaucescens x occidentalis).


     Mallards (Anas platyrynchos), too, interbreed promiscuously and frequently, but this group appear to be pure and unsullied!


     A buttercup (genus Ranunculus) aimed its cheerful little face towards us.


     It was getting close to Canada Day and people were starting to festoon their homes accordingly.


     The displays are muted and lovely, a declaration of national pride devoid of jingoism or xenophobia, a quiet reflection of values held and cherished, a commitment to compassion, a communion with fellow citizens from every corner of the globe. We are ALL Canadian.
     Not for us a thousand flags, warlike pronouncements and posturing, exaggerated patriotism, and the constant compulsion to affirm "this is the best country in the world." Power does not confer greatness, power is not principle.  In Canada, our home and native land, greatness is self-evident and we have no need to shout it from street corners, backyards and hilltops. It is a mantle we wear every day.
     As might be expected, when we arrived back home, a deer was there to greet us. 


     I wouldn't want Guillermo to be disappointed!
     Mid afternoon we went with Jan up to Mount Tolmie where the views across the ocean are spectacular.


     Jan and Miriam read while I explored.


     Miriam, as you might expect, meandered a little with her camera.
     A Turkey Vulture (Cathartes aura) made the portrait gallery.


     Miriam found a juvenile Chipping Sparrow (Spizella passerina).....



     ..... and I found an adult.


     A West Coast Lady (Vanessa annabella) sparkled in front of me.


     I was always a little surprised at just how often we saw Common Wall Lizard (Podarcis muralis).


      Jan had made a reservation for us to have dinner at a golf club where she had dined in the past and we were delighted to learn that George and Jan (yes, there are two Jans) would be joining us.
     We went on a long walk to the dining facility, going by King's Pond.


     Wood Duck (Aix sponsa) verged on abundant there.


     We built up an appetite and looked forward to dinner.


      Jan (2), chose fish tacos and asked for it to be prepared in a certain way. It all sounded delicious and we all opted for the same dish. I am not sure exactly how it was prepared, but we were advised that it would be $3.00 extra per person and it would be a one time accommodation! It was worth it; the tacos were good to the last flake! 
      We had first met George and Jan on the evening after our arrival when Jan (1) (this gets complicated!) organized a dinner party. We were immediately captivated by them and were so happy when they invited us on a birding outing (covered in an earlier post).
     Look at this handsome, delightful couple.


     Intelligent, interesting, amusing, in every way scintillating company of the highest order. How lucky we are to now call them friends.
     And then there is Jan, the first Jan, Miriam's sister.


     We are so grateful to her for all that she has done for us on visit after visit.
     If you can add a Jan to your life go for it with gusto. Two is even better, and if you can snag a George as part of the bargain, then your catch is complete.
     I know ours is!
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

71 comments:

  1. ...elbow up my friend🇨🇦.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to have you as my neighbour, Tom, on the southern side of Lake ONTARIO.

      Delete
  2. That harbour view is absolutely beautiful! Looks like that you all had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s almost impossible not to have a good time in Victoria, Angie.

      Delete
  3. Buen paseo nos has dado por la Naturaleza.
    Buen reportaje fotográfico.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The harbor looks very nice. Lake Ontario is a beautiful name. I see no reason to change that name.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trump can call it whatever he wants, Marit. The entire rest of the world will continue to call it Lake Ontario. In the same way the Gulf of Mexico is still referred to as the Gulf of Mexico, not as the Gulf of America. Did you see where he is musing about renaming the Strait of Hormuz the Trump Strait? He is quite mad.

      Delete
    2. No, I didn't catch that. The King of Norway died today, and the newspapers have no other news right now. Yes, that man has a lot of wild ideas.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful photos of your trip, David.
    The view over the ocean is truly stunning.
    I wish you a lovely weekend.
    All the best, Irma

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just a couple of comments here if I may David....You caught me out with the West Coast Lady, I'm acquainted with the Painted Lady Cynthia cardui and know of C.virginiensis, but not Vanessa annabella. And secondly, I liked your reply to Tom when you refer to, 'the southern side of Lake ONTARIO'.

    Kind Regards David....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If ever you visit, Pete, I will take you to Lake Ontario. I wouldn’t even be able to find Lake America! We could toddle off to Lakes Huron and Erie, too.

      Delete
  7. Looks like a lovely time! You find wildlife to photograph everywhere, don’t you! I apologize for the man here who thinks he is the most powerful man in the world. I don’t understand why the people around him don’t have him committed. Clearly he needs a good rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many of the people around him should be committed along with him.

      Delete
  8. Hola, David.
    Que lugares tan bonitos. Y vais con la compañía de vuestros amigos y con la oportunidad de hacer fotografías de la naturaleza. Me parece un plan perfecto.
    Un abrazo desde Segovia.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nature is beautiful and Canada too ;)
    Gorgeous pictures David ! It's always a pleasure travel with you... and Miriam and other folx !
    Bon weekend !
    Bisous
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Was this your last day in Vancouver?
    I was going to apologize for tRump, but I didn't elect him and though he has the title of President, his actions say he's not really a President, but a world bully that I hope gets jailed for his actions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last post is still to come. One more full day and then our return home.

      Delete
  11. I am sorry about this madman which the majority of voters in our last presidential election saddled us with once again. Just ignore him as much as you can. It's how I get through my days. That and counting the days until the end of his term.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely and beautiful place. We never visited that part of Canada but growing up on in New England, I always loved visiting Montreal and Toronto.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hari OM
    Hear! Hear! to your closing comments, David. Such people are what make life the best it can be. I loved your sentiments around Canada Day - and am fascinated that the Gulls on the PNW are so keen on mixing - we're all Gulls after all!!! Occasional hybridisations are found around the UK, but it's the exception... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your photographs are always lovely to see.
    Another very nice post from your visit to Victoria, BC

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have had a wonderful visit to BC. A beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a wonderful time, with wonderful people. That little sparrow is just adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What's that yellow thing around that deer's neck?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ohh, hello, dear friend,
    what a celebration of friendship, nature, and those little things that make a day unforgettable. Every moment brought its own little gift! 🦌🌸🦆 those seascapes are incredible, they're endless poetry! but in the end, more than the landscapes or the photographs, it's the company that transforms a trip into a precious memory.

    I wish you a wonderful weekend.

    Lots of love & gros bisous for u all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Needless to say, I'm rooting for Canada. I'm thrilled for all concerned that you had such a wonderful trip and new friendships were created!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a delightful place to sit and eat take in the view. Seems you both had a wonderful time exploring seeing the birds, flowers and so on. I do like Jan's 2 scarf. Guess what, my first name is the same but not shortened., I go by my second name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She’ll be happy to read that you like her scarf.

      Delete
  21. Hi David and Miriam, beautiful photos of the harbour and birds around. And your visit to Mount Tolmie.. Nice familyphotos. I like your header with the bird. Have a nice weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  22. Charming - both the humans and others.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nature and new friends, what more do you want. Great blog to read and great photos.
    Love from Belgium,
    Take care,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dobrý den, Davide,
    na váš blog potřebuji více času, protože příspěvky čtu s pomocí překladače. Díky za něj! ☺
    Článek jsem si užila, vyzařuje z něj klid a pohoda, žádné spěchy a je to podáno tak jednoduše lidsky. Zaujala mě slova k svátku Kanady, protože jsem o něm asi nečetla. Ale není divu, ani vy nebudete vědět o našem státním svátku. V Kanadě je to jiné tím, že ji tvoří lidé mnoha národů, ani se neodvažuji tipovat počet a její historie je pořád "mladá".
    Poznali jste sympatické lidi a to je pro život největší dar.
    Z fotografií přírody mě zaujal sup krocaní, o něm jsem ještě neslyšela.
    Přeji příjemné dny, Davide, a zdravím paní Miriam! Hanka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hanka. Perhaps one day you will come to visit us.

      Delete
  25. Easy to see you had a lovely time there. It seems a lovely place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  26. How lovely to spend time with good company.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you, master. I enjoyed the wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Dear David,
    what a lovely day, filled with so many of the things that make life rich: beautiful surroundings, birds and other creatures to discover, art in unexpected places, good food and, above all, good company.

    I especially liked your thought that a civilized society should make room not only for what is useful, but also for what is beautiful. Perhaps we sometimes underestimate how much beauty in our everyday surroundings contributes to our sense of well-being.

    But what stayed with me most was the end of your post. It is wonderful when people we meet quite by chance become friends we are genuinely happy to have in our lives. Your affection for both Jans and George comes through very clearly. I suspect they feel equally fortunate to have found you and Miriam.

    Warm greetings from Germany,
    Anette

    ReplyDelete
  29. I always love reading about your travels and all of the wonderful sightings. Hearing about these special people and all the good times you had together makes it even better! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  30. I was getting confused wth the Jans! But it souds like each and every one is a delight. What a fine day you enjoyed! I love the simple elegance of that Canada display.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Bilder vom Hafen und von den Tieren in der Natur sagen mir das es
    ein schöner Tag zum Genießen war.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I see a shape resembling wings in the whale's tail.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Another lovely day out in the natural world. Fish tacos cooked in a specific way? Now I'm really curious.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hello David,
    apologies for my late reply, but things didn't go entirely well at home (sick and in pain). Fortunately, I did get to look at a lot of your beautiful photos, and that makes me very happy again :-)
    In this blog, you show a beautiful view of the harbor during your lunch break. In addition, many beautiful birds again. It is very special to see that hybrid gull. It is almost Canada Day where you are, and it is wonderful that this is being shared with the many fellow citizens of the world.

    I am worried, however, about all those wars that just keep going on.
    Your turkey vulture (never heard of it) is beautifully photographed in flight. Your other birds, butterflies, and animals are also a feast for the eyes again.
    Warm regards, Helma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear you have not been well, Helma, but glad to see you pout in an appearance on my blog.

      Delete
  35. A lovely selection of photos and how good to meet a new couple who are also bird enthusiasts, Miriam's sister sounds as if she has spoilt you both rotten. Take care. Bisous, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She always does, but we try to reciprocate when she visits Ontario.

      Delete
  36. I think you know that I'm rooting for Canada. I wish more world leaders would stand up to the felon-in-chief like Carney did. And those politicians in Congress.
    Your time in Victoria was indeed lovely and full of beautiful adventures. I like what you wrote at the end the most. Without my good friends (and, of course, my little family) it would be much harder to get through these trying times. Big big hugs to you - Carola

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks for including the photo of the West Coast Lady. That's a new to me butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
  38. David, just a delight reading through Part 10 of your visit to Victoria. What an interesting group of folks! Thanks for all the pictures and details on critters seen and meals enjoyed. Would you say your trip to Victoria was the highlight of your summer? Thank you for taking me along virtually. Not only is the post great but so are the comments. OMG … I love it. I’ll leave you with a quotation I saw in the last few days, can’t recall who said it, but truth stuck with me: “I liked it better in the days when the village idiot and the President were two different people.” John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely the highlight of my summer, John - maybe the year. I love your quote at the end of your comment. I will be passing this along.

      Delete
  39. bonjour c'est un bel article avec de belles photos nature j'aime cette nature, nouvelle semaine voila Septembre et l'automne et la rentrée est la je te souhaite un bon Lundi et belle semaine

    ReplyDelete
  40. The bit about sitting by the harbour with your turkey and brie sandwich while the crows, pigeons and heron carried on around you made me smile. Then Mount Tolmie brought a completely different mood, with everyone happily doing their own thing while you explored and Miriam wandered with her camera. I also loved the way the post ended up being as much about friendship as birds and places. The story of the two Jans made me laugh, but there is something genuinely touching about meeting people while travelling and coming home with friendships you never expected. You can tell how much George and Jan mean to you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, we live three time zones from each other.

      Delete

  41. Conocer amigos siempre es bueno. Y más si comparten aficción. Me ha gustado el paseo.
    Buena semana David. Gracias
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Great photos of scenery and birds. Such a great place!
    I did not know about Mallards' tendency to inbreed...but I suspect it only happens when there are limited numbers and territory?

    ReplyDelete
  43. You have had a delightful time in many ways...What a beautiful area..Thanks for taking us along... I enjoyed your vacation..So peaceful..xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hi David,
    The wonderful time you had—and the amazing things you saw—are made even better when pleasant people sweeten the experience.
    Best regards, Frank

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hi David,
    Once again it becomes clear that Victoria BC is worth visiting.
    Greetings, Kees

    ReplyDelete
  46. We all need friends, especially when they are like minded. Your wood duck brings back memories of the first one I saw, in 2006, and said to my birder friend What is That? I also said, why would they name a beautiful bird that? ha ha.. always have to say something. I wish I could see deer like you did in all of these posts

    ReplyDelete
  47. The scene you described about enjoying lunch at the harbor was great, David, and we have always enjoyed outdoor dining on our travels as well. There’s nothing better than meeting new people, who quickly become friends like Jan and George and even though there is distance between you all, a future meet up is likely.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Dear David,
    I'm actually quite glad that mallards and gulls also have a tendency towards diversity and that mixed marriages among birds are quite common 😊.
    I really enjoyed what you wrote about the Canadian way of celebrating Canada Day 🍁 .
    And how wonderful that you and Miriam had such a good time with Jan and George!
    All the best from Austria 🤗
    Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2026/09/reisebericht-2025-okanagan-valley-lake.html

    ReplyDelete
  49. Cuanto me alegra que lo hayas pasado tan bien, me ha encantado conocerlos. Abrazos grandes para todos.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Sounds wonderful ... great fun ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  51. Miło obejrzec kolejne nieznane w Europie ptaki. No i dziękuję za pokazanie zdjęć Twoich bliskich. Serdeczne pozdrowienia z Polski dla Was wszystkich - miłośników piękna przyrody!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Hello, my dear friend. Of course you didn't disappoint, I was waiting to see my ol' friend the deer as I read your lovely post.
    It all sounds so fun, I'm so happy for you. Now that the EU and Canada are associated, I feel closer than ever to our Canadian friends. Take care.

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers