Permit me to state up front that I consider this work (based on thirty years of new research) a magnum opus, a tour de force, a tome of extraordinary merit, well conceived, superbly written, meticulously researched, well designed, and executed to perfection. Few books have pleased me as much in recent years.
A few general comments are merited before delving into the species accounts. It seems to me that the pinnacle of responsible publishing is manifest here. "Canadian Science Books is a brand of Talk Science Communications Inc. Talk Science is a WBE Canada Certified Women Business Enterprise, a CGLCC Certified 2SLGBTQ+ owned business and a Certified Living Wage Employer." Furthermore, "We return a percentage of company profits to the original stewards of this land through South Island Reciprocity Trust."
Respect for and recognition of the enduring contribution of Indigenous peoples is a significant theme throughout the book, and the participation of an Indigenous author, Leigh Joseph (Styawat) provides important ethnobotanical context.
The principal authors, Jim Pojar and Andy MacKinnon, are legends in the botanical and plant sciences of their region, respected and revered, and are joined by two younger colleagues, plant taxonomist Jamie Fenneman and the aforementioned Styawat of the Squamish nation.
The introductory notes deal with the current minefield of taxonomic changes. Thank goodness for that! This is a minefield that is no sooner cleared than it is planted with more explosives! The pace of taxonomic change is unlikely to slow down any time soon.
The species accounts are superbly done. First there is a general statement about the taxa about to be covered, concise but instructive, acting as a guide post for what is to follow.
In addition to a text that elucidates the species under consideration, an incredible array of full colour pictures accompanies each account. My wife, Miriam, submitted one of her photographs, featured at the top left of page 40.
Many other photographers contributed pictures and the sheer volume is impressive, to say nothing of the high quality of the images.
I was happy to see the issue of foraging addressed. While it is understandable that people seek the goodness of the land, it is a simple fact that few people forage wisely or efficiently and many barely know what they are doing. Other than in the context of ancestral indigenous food-gathering, plants are better left untouched. A mushroom performing its ecosystem function in the forest is far more valuable to me than it is on my plate. And so it should be for all of us.
No one has ever claimed that field identification of plants is easy, but this book comes as close as it is possible to making it easy. The descriptions, the pictures and the informative text synergistically come together to give you the best chance possible of correct ID.
Here is a sad commentary on the circumstances we now face in North America. Unfair, unreasonable and unwarranted tariffs affect everything we do. It was with dismay that I saw the following statement on the website of the Royal BC Museum.
PLEASE NOTE Due to the US suspending the de minimis threshold with the result that all shipments now require pre-payed duties, we are unable to ship to US destinations at this time. We apologies for this inconvenience as we work through this process.
I hope that many of our American friends will drive up over the border to get their copy.
The next time I visit the West Coast, Plants of the Pacific Coast will be the first thing in my backpack. My binoculars and camera will nestle alongside it. With my hiking boots on my feet all else is discretionary.
I will be set to go!
Plants of the Pacific Coast: From Alaska to Oregon, including British Columbia and Washington - Canadian Science Books
Jim Pojar, Andy MacKinnon, Leigh Joseph (Styawat) and Jamie Fenneman
Paperback - $34.95 CAD (Canada), $29.95 USD (USA) - ISBN 9781069158208
1,300 photographs - 180 line drawings - 740 range maps
Publishing date: On or around 20 August, 2026
I would love learning how to identify the trees..this sounds like an ideal book. Thanks for the review, David.
ReplyDeleteI think it's safe to say you really enjoyed this one;) How exciting that one of Miriam's photos was included! So glad to see the inclusion of indigenous folks and foraging.
ReplyDeleteAs the majority of Americans are, I am so totally disgusted about the tariffs that our administration has imposed. And when it affects books, it's really gone too far.
They seem to be good at banning books and stacking the Pentagon library only with approved titles.
DeleteFirst of all I would like to congratulate Miriam for getting one of her photos included. That is wonderful! Thank you for an excellent review, I have added it to my list.
ReplyDeleteThis is a fabulous book. One I think I should buy. Thank you David.
ReplyDeleteKnowing where you live it would be perfect for you, Nicole.
Delete...I can ID the majority of trees and shrubs in this area and beyond that I'm mighty weak. The west/wet coast has a gorgeous collection of plants.
ReplyDeleteBeing able to identify most shrubs and trees in the East is a significant accomplishment, Tom.
DeleteIt's clear how much you loved this book, and after reading your review, I'm itching to head out and explore those woods right away.
ReplyDeleteBig hug dear friend o mine, have a good night 😊
A book dedicated to a specific geographical area. It required great meticulousness.
ReplyDeleteAn excellent volume - it will be of great value for anyone who wishes to explore and discover.
ReplyDeleteIt's great that Miriam has contributed pictures to this book, David. It's good that you review all these great books. Another book that should have been translated into Norwegian.
ReplyDeleteHugs and kisses, Marit
You'll just have to come here, Marit, and we'll visit the West Coast together!
DeleteThank you for this review, it's very clear how much you liked this book.
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
This one is on a high plateau by itself.
Delete"Permit me to state up front that I consider this work (based on thirty years of new research) a magnum opus, a tour de force, a tome of extraordinary merit, well conceived, superbly written, meticulously researched, well designed, and executed to perfection." You don't need to say any more!
ReplyDeleteIt won't take long for the courts to overturn the tariffs. Sigh. Apologies for this man who keeps doing such embarrassing things. One day we will have a decent human being in charge of things again. I hope.
As a book lover you will be horrified that this even affects the price and availability of books. How low can it go?
DeleteI hope you had this book with you on your trip to Vancouver Island. Hopefully you had your pre-publication copy by then. It sounds like it would be very very useful.
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately it was before it was published. But you can bet it will go with me next time!
DeleteWhen one reads "magnum opus, a tour de force, a tome of extraordinary merit, well conceived, superbly written, meticulously researched, well designed, and executed to perfection," you know it has to be something special. I wish you'd had that when you visited Vancouver!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on your wife getting a picture of hers in the book. And I agree with you about the tariffs. This is just lunatic and mean-spirited on Trump's part, as is so much of what he does. I'm embarrassed for my country.
ReplyDeleteSeems that more than embarrassment is warranted, Kirk. I read a long article a couple of days ago on the level of your national debt, and you seem to be teetering right on the edge of collapse, with no serious intent to tackle it. Gotta make a few more missives to rain down on Iran, though!
DeleteKiitos kirjaesittelystä David.
ReplyDeleteMe täällä kaukana Pohjolassakin olemme järkyttyneitä Trumpin tulleista.
Onnittelut Miriam, kun ansiokas kuvasi on tuossa kirjassa!
She was happy. This is actually the fourth or fifth book in which her pictures have been selected, and one of her quilts was featured in a quilting magazine.
DeleteIt's quite an honor to have a photo included in a publishing. Good for Miriam! I'm sorry about the threshold suspension, I've bought from Canada before and the cost is usually added to the cost of the item I purchase, so I, as the consumer, pay for it in the end. Your review certainly is enticing for those living in the region. When I was much younger, I drove up the coastline from San Luis Obispo and up through Oregon. It definitely is God's country.
DeleteI would have loved to have this book 40 years ago and on through the first decade of this century when I lived in Oregon and Alaska!
ReplyDeleteIt would have served you well, Shari.
DeleteHello David, that book is of great interest. To see woh are the Squamish nation I looked it up in Google. Most interesting and beautyful People.
ReplyDeleteWarm regards,
Roos
And great that a photo from Miriam is to be seen in this book.
ReplyDeleteRegards,
Roos
thanks for another great review. This book seems worth having.. Wonderful about Miriam's photo..
ReplyDeleteIt would have been great for you to have during your recent visit to Alaska.
Delete1.3000 quality photographs in a book is certainly impressive. I don't think I'll be ordering it, I'm running out of space in my home and all....but otherwise, it seems like a great book to have. I'd love to read more about plants.
ReplyDeleteMe encanta este libro, me encantaría tenerlo. Un abrazo querido amigo David.
ReplyDelete