Wednesday, September 02, 2026

Book Review - Marine Life of the Caribbean Sea - Princeton University Press


      Whether you are a diver, scuba diver, snorkeller, or simply a beachcomber probing tide pools and rocky shores, this is the book for you.
      The marine life of the Caribbean Sea is revealed in all its glorious, colourful diversity. Our guide is the renowned Scottish author and underwater photographer, Lawson Wood.
      All of the riches you will locate in this subtropical,  watery realm are covered in this field guide - fish, coral, marine reptiles and mammals, crustaceans, tubeworms, nudibranchs, and everything else! 


     Even those tourists who stay at an all inclusive resort, where nature study is not uppermost on their minds, will benefit from this book. A brief stroll along the beach, or wading out into shallow waters reveals hitherto unknown wonders. Scuba diving packages often form part of a preplanned winter getaway to the warmth of Caribbean sun and sand.
     Each organism is represented by superb photographs taken by Wood, accompanied by a brief description, quite terse but adequate to facilitate identification, which is, after all the purpose of this guide.


     Going back to the storied days of Jacques Cousteau, and in more recent years the documentaries of Sir David Attenborough, a fascination with life beneath the waves has developed and expanded. Its beauty is appreciated like never before, yet the fragile nature of marine ecosystems is now known to be at serious peril from humankind's flagrant disregard for the health of the oceans.
      This book will alert you to what we stand to lose unless we change our ways - and soon. 


Marine Life of the Caribbean Sea - Princeton University Press
Lawson Wood
Paperback - US$29.99 - ISBN 9780691292458
224 pages - 5.5 x 8.5 inches (13.75 x 21.25 cm)
700+ colour photographs and illustrations - one map
Publishing date: 08 September, 2026
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

31 comments:

  1. The photos are truly amazing. Look at those sea turtles...just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great book allows the opportunity to understand the importance of protecting marine ecosystems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tragedy is that we know the importance; we just refuse to do it.

      Delete
  3. Teos näyttää upealta, mutta ennen kaikkea siinä kerrotaan vakavista ja tärkeistä asioista meille kaikille! Kiitos esittelystä David.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a great book to me, David.
    It contains beautiful photos.
    All the best, Irma

    ReplyDelete
  5. That book is surely very interesting to get to know, there is really a lot of interesting stuff to see and read in the sea at different zones!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fish and turtles are so beautiful there, David. Great review.
    Yes, the ocean and all life there is in danger. The ocean is full of plastic, and everyone has a responsibility to ensure that it is not polluted any more than it already is!
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only we would take on that responsibility, Marit.

      Delete
  7. An interesting book. Our Adriatic Sea is also experiencing problems due to heat and the arrival of invasive species of fish and crustaceans that are threatening the indigenous marine animals in our sea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMGosh! This is a stunning book. A lot of people don't realize how important the oceans are.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pictures alone seem worth the price of the book. But the information contained is important for all of us to be aware of and, hopefully, to act on to help in whatever way we can to save this important part of our planet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Da la posibilidad de conocer, distinas especies de animales.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That would be a great book to bring if your snorkeling. I remember seeing so many different species and I couldn't identify many of them. It's good to know there's book like this that can help.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that colorful little guy on the book's cover.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's so sad to think that so much marine beauty and diversity is so fragile.
    Happy september, dear David!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the look of this book, thanks for another great share. My sister-in-law is a volunteer with an organization that takes care of turtles when they come up on the beach to lay their eggs. She spends many hours taking turns guarding the eggs and waiting for the babies to hatch, making sure they get down to the water's edge, and are free from being bothered by hungry predators and tourists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please tell your sister-in-law that she has my appreciation and admiration for her efforts. Where does she do this?

      Delete
  15. I don’t plan to do any snorkeling, but the photos look marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Always a good bonus if the photos are clear and show the true colours of the sea creatures, David.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like a very interesting book !
    Marine life is essencial in our ecosystem.
    I saw almost all J.J. Cousteau and Sir Attenbourough documentaries.
    Thanks for sharing !
    Bisous et bonne journée !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  18. David!
    A very interesting book. It's well-published, with beautiful photos.
    Have a beautiful, sunny September.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely book. Thanks for sharing, David.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Even though I'm not a scuba diver and I've never been to the Caribbean, I love to look at the photos and read the info about the marine life there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You owe it to yourself to visit the Caribbean, Deb. You would enjoy it immensely. I recommend Cuba above all other destinations. I have made six trips there. The birding (and other aspects of natural history) is phenomenal.

      Delete
  21. What a great book and the photos are a pleasure to see.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi David - I note your reply to Deb's comment above (or below, as the case may be) ... I wish I'd visited ... but at least I can look, with jealousy, vicariously!! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  23. Takie książki powinno się dawać dzieciom do ręki zamiast tableta, czy telefonu komórkowego. Podwodny świat jest magiczny, piękny i arcyciekawy!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I would love this book. Living in Florida, I often see beautifully colored fish in the Intracoastal and I am always fascinated with the turtles. (I've seen some in Mexico laying eggs, but despite living at the beach, I've never spotted any in Miami) What a beautiful book. Thanks David.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Otro libro que me encanta. Gracias y besos.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello David, a wonderful book of the most wonderful cratures in the deep blue oceans. Those colours these fish have is amazing.
    Warm regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers