Sunday, August 16, 2026

Book Review - Marine Crustaceans of Britain and Ireland - Princeton University Press

 


     I remember well, as a young boy on infrequent visits to the seaside, being fascinated by tidepools and spending my time probing in them. The life forms  were both exotic and amazing and cemented my lifelong love of such habitats and the creatures they contain. The scope of this book, of course, expands far beyond tidepools, but the fascination remains the same. From the beach to deep offshore waters the crustaceans of these ecosystems are revealed in glorious detail.
    It is the work of three distinguished marine biologists with a passion for their subjects. All have vast experience around the world and it shows. The focus of this book is the British Isles but expertise and knowledge gained internationally raises the bar.
     The involvement of Seasearch, an organization dedicated to marine conservation and management is of material value in this book. All three authors are, or have been, Seasearch coordinators.
     The result is a first rate field guide crammed with information, accompanied by stunning pictures taken by the authors, but also submitted by enthusiastic divers and recreational crustacean enthusiasts. Your expertise will be enhanced whether you are a seasoned marine biologist or an amateur sleuth anxious to expand your own knowledge and contribute as a citizen scientist.


     When you progress to the species accounts you will be presented with the common name, scientific name, a general description, key features, similar species, abundance and distribution, and taxonomic notes. It is important to recognize that some species are very difficult to identify and it is a mark of maturity to assign the organism to the highest level you feel confident with; nailing down an organism to the generic level is often a major accomplishment!


     When one contemplates the years of research Charles Darwin allocated to barnacles one knows that he would have rejoiced in their inclusion in an august field guide such as this. Mister Anthrobalanus has found his place in the sun!
     The section on Hermit Crabs was a vivid reminder of my visit in February to Eleuthera Island in The Bahamas. These entertaining and highly interesting crustaceans are found in Britain too, and the geographic separation is shrunk in an instant. 
     There is a universality to these organisms and everyone can benefit from this book. Whether on a beach in The Seychelles, diving to a coral reef in the Caribbean or hunkered down on a rocky shore in Newfoundland, there are crustaceans. 
     You may never look at a crab the same way again!
 

Marine Crustaceans of Britain and Ireland - Princeton University Press
Lin Baldock, Charlotte Bolton and Iain M. T. Dixon
US$35.00 - ISBN 9780691274744
320 pages - 300 colour illustrations - 5.88 x 8.25 inches (14.70 x 20.625 cm)
Publishing date: (US) 04 August, 2026
                           (UK) 02 June, 2026


   

David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

40 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    another tempter added to the wish list! Yam XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seasearch has a substantial presence in Scotland, YAM.

      Delete
  2. It’s wild how a book focused on Britain and Ireland can instantly transport you somewhere else entirely, just like your memory of Eleuthera, reminding you that these little armored creatures are everywhere if you just slow down enough to look, and now I'm seriously tempted to add this one to my shelf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The coast is never too far away for you, Melody.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Here’s your chance to know more, Angie. There is more to life than eating.

      Delete
  4. You review so many exciting books, David. Thank you for your review of the book.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...a subject that I know less than nothing about, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Qué interesante parece este libro, David. Gracias.
    Espero que tengas un ben día.
    Te invito a pasar por mi espacio también (por lo que me dicen sigo con problemas en las actualizaciones)
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yo soy de una ciudad de interior, pero me fascina visitar la costa, el mar me atrae mucho.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many thanks for your review David.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crustaceans are fascinating creatures. I always enjoy meeting various members of the family when I visit the coast.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I find this post very romantic, nostalgic, beautiful. There is something so nostalgic about the seashore, especially when it brings back childhood memories and have to admit, after your review, i may never look at a crab quite the same way again! 😊🦀 Gros bisous, dear friend o´ mine!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the Identification Confidence Icons. I wish all such books had them. So many creatures DO look alike.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It would be an interesting book to have. We have hermit crabs of the red variety.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Je to zajímavá recenze, ovšem dívám se na to z pohledu suchozemce, jsme vnitrozemský stát. K takovým živočichům se nedostanu, ale díky hlavně televizním dokumentům je mohu občas vidět. ☺ Ty živé myslím, protože jsou vystaveni i v muzeích. Zmínka o Ch. Darwinovi mi zase připomene knihy, které jsem o jeho výzkumech četla.
    Děkuji za zajímavý příspěvek.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Marine life. One of my favorite topics, although not necessarily the crustaceans I’m partial to fins and gills. I could be interested in this book. I did lots of crabby in my youth❤️ hugs

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a very interesting book, David.
    Thanks for sharing.
    All the best, Irma

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing your review. I have fond memories of searching rock pools with my boys on holidays in the north of England.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you still do a little of that now along the coastline of Israel.

      Delete
  17. the seas have some interesting creatures. As always a good review of a fascinating book. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Although I don't live in that area to need that book, it is always fun to read ID Guides. I have a whole shelf full, including some for far off places that I have visited.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks like a well conceived book and probably very helpful in understanding this part of marine life.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi David. Your review of this book is eloquent. I live a mile from the beach and there is a place on the jetty that holds all sorts of sea life ready for anyone to take note of. It's incredible isn't it? Thank you for sharing this book.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Living along the coast as I do, this looks like it'd be a useful book. Thanks for your excellent and enthusiastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds like another very interesting book David, thank you! I remember those tide pools in the southwest of England as a child. Fun places to explore for any age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are near to the coast, Denise. I hope you still explore them.

      Delete
  23. Takie książki rodzice powinni dawać dzieciom. Piękne ilustracje, zdjęcia i intrygujące opisy. Ja uwielbiałam takie książki w dzieciństwie. Wolałam je od bajek.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sounds like an interesting book. Will have to check out our library.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The book allows the opportunity to know more about these marvelous creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  26. coucou beau billet chez toi il annonce de la pluie tant mieux j'espère que les températures vont être a la baisse je te souhaite un bon Mardi

    ReplyDelete
  27. Another fascinating book about our natural world. Crabs seem deceptively simple at first glance, slightly comical and repellent. A friend many years ago was conducting research on crabs - I often wondered what she discovered.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looks like a great book. I have a handy book by the University of Wisconsin Extension. It is called the Wonderful Wacky Water Critters and is so fun and spot on for our part of the midwest, it is a great guide to all the things we can find in streams and lakes. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I can think of a half dozen people right away who would love that book.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Looks like a good one. We were at the beach recently and I saw a few dead crabs. My daughter was asking about them. I prefer them alive, the way they move makes me smile :-D

    ReplyDelete
  31. Me encanta este libro. Abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi David - well the cover took me back to my mother's life in Newlyn, outside Penzance ... as they had a crabbery there ('tis a word,, I note!) ... and we usually bought some crab meat to enjoy. Happy memories ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers