Saturday, September 12, 2026

Book Review - The Language of Bees - Princeton University Press

 


     I was delighted when I noted that Princeton University Press had published yet another title in its unrivalled coverage of bees over the last several years.
     A veritable who's who of the world of bees has been included - Chitka, Grozinger, Packer, Seeley, Tautz (and others), and they are now joined by James C. Nieh.

     This fascinating book is both a personal account of Nieh's ascendancy in this select group, and an insider's glimpse into research hitherto not undertaken - or pursued minimally. In the classic way of good scientists, Nieh writes about events that initially seemed like failure, or conditions that developed to thwart his carefully staged experiments, turning them into first rate opportunities for other avenues of research. 
     It was Karl von Frisch, of course, who discovered the now famous waggle dance, whereby foraging bees direct their sisters to food sources, but much additional knowledge has been gained over the years (see, for example, Tautz (2021). The means of communication among bees are diverse and multi-faceted, involving scent, movement, vibration and sound. 
     In a series of elegant experiments Nieh explores the intricacies of communication among bees in myriad ways. A really helpful tool is the provision of a QR code to take the reader to a series of YouTube videos showing the signals and behaviours discussed in the book.


     
This is a commendable use of technology to improve the learning experience.
     A series of full colour plates also enhances the text.



     Nieh's prose is not without humour. I chuckled mightily over his description of riding a bicycle after being stung on his tender parts!
     

     Life on Earth is threatened by the climate crisis; bees no less than other living things. Global warming is significant in this regard, with the potential disruption of plant cycles. This has the ability to hit bees that utilize one plant especially hard. The principal function of honey bees has ceased to be the production of honey; rather they are used as pollination tools, shipped over vast distances to facilitate food production for humans. The California almond crop, for example, would fail without this intervention. There are indications that this practice may be harming bees in ways unthought of. Rampant (and in some jurisdictions almost uncontrolled) use of pesticides, especially neonicotinoids, has the potential to seriously impact the foraging efficacy and breeding success of bees.
     We tamper with natural cycles at our peril - yet we keep doing it. We seem to lack will when it is needed most.
     This book is an important addition to the canon of literature on bees. It should be essential reading for everyone concerned with our future life on Planet Earth.


The Language of Bees - Princeton University Press
James C. Nieh
Hardcover - US$29.95 - ISBN 9780691204895
288 pages - 6.125 x 9.25 inches (15.31 x 23.125 cm)
16 colour and 31 black-and-white illustrations
Publication date: 15 September, 2025


David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

19 comments:

  1. Bees are so important, David, and without them, much of our food production would grind to a halt. What you describe regarding the bees in California is frightening. Yes, we humans often fail to realize how serious things are until it is too late.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an interesting book. I bet many would appreciate this treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you know I do a lot of bee watching, and so this book sounds right up my alley. Yesterday I attempted to get the honey off some frames from my old hive. Well I did get the honey, but the frames needed cleaning so I put them out in the garden for the bees to clean up and get rid of the sticky honey I couldn't get. I know perhaps they smelled the frames, but it seemed like some bees told other bees the frames were there because after a short time I had LOTS of bees on the frames cleaning them for me. And the other day I was adding water to my bird feeder because it is a bee drinking mecca. Well sadly there were many bees down in the pebbles at the bottom of the birdbath and the water made them too heavy to get any lift up. I used some leaves to scoop them out, but then I saw a bee carrying another bee out, and then I saw it a second time. Bee societies are so much more complicated and complex than most people think. Thanks for the recommendation David. I've actually pre-ordered it because it sounds right up my alley. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bee world has untold levels of complexity, Erika, as you so rightly point out. It's really interesting to read of bees carrying other bees. I'll have to follow up on this. Good luck with your honey production this year. I hope you have a bumper yield. Best wishes - David

      Delete
  4. Ohhh I love this book. I watched a National Geographic show on the language of bees. The waggle dance was of course shown and explained. Thank you for sharing this book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another wonderful book to look for and, once again, thank you for bringing it to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bees are essencial ! Agrobusiness don't care...I try to have plants and flowers to help them in they life...
    Thanks for sharing an other interest and much needed book David !
    Bises et bon weekend !
    Désolée mais ma mise à jour des blogs est bloquée...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds a good book to have and read, David. We can't live without bees and I've even seen a few back in our winter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is an interesting book, David.
    Bees are vital to us, without bees, there is no food.
    All the best, Irma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time for political leaders to accept this simple fact, Irma.

      Delete
  9. Bees - and their relatives - are fascinating. I was watching a huge wood-ants nest in the Dolomites last week, and was also pleased to find many bumble-bees which we dont have naturally back home!
    Hope all is well.
    Cheers - Stewart M, Venice, Italy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the bees and bumblebees in our garden—even the wasps; there are over 600 species in Germany, and only two of them become a nuisance at the coffee table. I’ve always been lucky with the nests so far—we’ve always had ones where the inhabitants didn’t try to swipe our cake—and I simply love watching them.
    Not every wasp is a pollinator—like the bee, which is so important to us—but they are highly effective at controlling pests.
    I deliberately plant flowering species in the garden for these winged visitors... whether for bees, wasps, bumblebees, or butterflies. They are all beautiful.
    Sending you a warm hug. Thanks for the book recommendation, David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a model citizen, Viola. Keep taking care of them.

      Delete
  11. I am currently reading The History Of Bees by Maja Lunde. It's a novel and it covers bees and beekeeping stories set in England in 1852, USA in 2007, and China in 2098. I'm 1/4 of the way through, pretty good so far!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those illustrations are fabulous! I thought of Erika right away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you will note above she already ordered her copy.

      Delete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers