In a time of climate crisis, with the dire consequences of continued neglect, indifference or fatuous denial, there is little more pressing than an understanding of how the climate works. We all need to know this; we need a factual basis on which to challenge our political "leaders" in order to tackle the existential crisis of our time.
Paul I. Palmer has produced a terrific book enabling us to do just that. As a scientist he delivers climate facts, untarnished by opinion, speculation or bias, without political attribution or blame, in a manner that is accessible to the reader lacking scientific training or prior knowledge. The text is presented in easily readable fashion (although I had to go over a couple of sections a second time!), and chapter builds on chapter, truth builds on truth, plausibility conquers doubt.
Palmer moves us along effortlessly through chapters on Temperature, Energy, Air, Water, Cycles, Time, and Uncertainty. One topic slides seamlessly and builds onto the next. You really do get a sense that you are starting to understand the complexities of climate science in a way that enables you to enter the conversation at a different, more detailed level.
Every reputable climate scientist in the entire world agrees that the crisis is real. It is not a hoax, it is not "just a cycle." It is happening now, literally daily in the Anthropocene and affects us all. The background rate of extinction is one to ten thousand times the historical record, and greenhouse gas concentrations in the atmosphere are ballooning. Carbon dioxide alone exceeds by 32% the start of the industrial age; methane pours into the atmosphere from melting permafrost and belching livestock. We know what is happening, we are crystal clear what it will likely portend for the future, yet we are reluctant to act in any meaningful way. Summers are becoming hotter, with each season setting a new record for heat, wildfires burn out of control, floods and drought decimate landscapes, one hundred year storms become five or ten year events.
In the face of this overwhelming, irrefutable evidence the leader of the largest per capita polluter in the word denies that the climate crisis is real, and actively promotes actions to reverse the minimal progress that has already been made, aggressively reinforcing and expanding the use of fossil fuels and cancelling clean energy projects and installations. It defies logic at even the basic level. It is madness writ large.
Palmer has written a book that is a product of its time. It is much needed, welcome, educational, eye-opening; indeed it is vital.
Don’t imagine for a moment that you cannot make a difference in your own life. Small actions by many produce major results. Now it’s up to you.
Paul I. Palmer
Hardcover - US$27.95 - ISBN: 9780691181257
296 pages - 5.5 x 8.5 inches (13.75 x 21.25 cm)
4 black-and-white illustrations
Publication date: 22 September, 2026
I am using less and less plastic now..and refuse to buy anything that are overpacked with plastic. Always carry my fabric bag with me when I go to markets.
ReplyDeleteAn interesting book. The climate is changing, we had here a very hot summer. Have a nice day ! Greets
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing this, trying to do my small part.
ReplyDeleteThe argument has been ongoing for decades and people who were scorned for supporting it have been proved correct, sadly. Is is possible now to make a substantive difference? Well, we surely cannot just give in to it.
ReplyDeleteThere are parts of the world where not only are we giving in, we are denying the crisis at the highest levels of government, and actively reversing clean energy, electric cars, increasing fossil fuel production and consumption, rolling back environmental protections - and so it goes.
DeleteI think Palmer's book highlights policy-makers' irresponsibility in the most developed countries. How can they continue to say it "just a cycle"? I would have never thought that CO2 alone has increase by 32% since tale 1700s.
ReplyDeleteAs you mentioned, each season sets new record for high temperature and high level of humidity. I went to the beach this morning, and while I was swimming I noticed the water was too hot. Then, after swimming, I measured it: 28 degrees celsius. Mediterranean sea's water has never been so warm.
I'll read that interesting guide on how climate works.
Petr Macinka should read this book. Donald Trump and his Christian fascist pals should read this book. Although with all these political grifters, I am absolutely certain they know that climate crisis is a serious issue... they're just too psychopathic to care. Having studied climate change at university for years, I have to say I'm very concerned. The future doesn't look nice.
ReplyDeleteThe big question is mostly what to do and how to do it. Some people promote planting trees... oh, as if that will really help. Fossil fuels really need to be left in the ground. I came to the conclusion that we need to radically rebuild our while society years ago. But how to get out of the mess we currently have... well, I hope we can.
Books like this need to be advertised more and should be available everywhere. Maybe a certain part of our society wouldn't be so daftly ignorant then.
I have just one question: Can a book on climate really be published without political attribution or bias? Isn't everything inherently political? I always say to people that the very way we cross the zebra is political. Science is a creative human activity under the influence of politics, culture, economy etc., as S. J. Gould and many others taught us. Doesn't a book on climate that is attempting to be apolitical limit itself too much? Pretending that the climate crisis doesn't require radical solutions may not be ideal.