Monday, August 31, 2026

Book Review - Costa Rica's Rainforests: The Natural History of the Plants and Animals of La Selva - Princeton University Press


      On this Earth there are mere mortals, and those exalted beings who have spent time at La Selva! I count myself among the latter. There is magic in the air in Costa Rica - always, everywhere - but the magic is elevated to its pinnacle at La Selva.


     Scott Wesley Shumway has done a terrific job in writing a complete account of La Selva's biodiversity and its place in contemporary tropical studies. In addition to being a world-renowned, distinguished research facility, La Selva welcomes ecotourists and spares no effort in disseminating information to all who visit. If you are present when it pours rain they will explain hydrology and transpiration to you!
     Many casual visitors are birders and the birding genie is let out of the bottle immediately upon arrival!


     Species that are elusive elsewhere seem to be especially cooperative at La Selva; no doubt the fact that the guides know exactly where to look plays a major role in this. I remember as though it were yesterday having prolonged views of Great Tinamou and my first ever Great Curassows perched in a tree above my head. Shumway reports, "As of 2021,480 species of birds have been identified by researchers and resident naturalists at La Selva." These same resident naturalists always seem to have the time to provide information and answer questions.
     There is more than birds, of course, and Shumway has done a magnificent job in pulling together all the component parts of an integrated neotropical ecosystem.


     This book is a field guide, a first class field guide in fact, but it is much more than that. From page to page, cover to cover, it is filled with information. Want to know about hummingbirds? Then obviously you'll need to understand the flowers they feed on. Did you know that mites travel from flower to flower on hummingbird bills? How about the mechanism by which they collect nectar? All of this kind of information is provided for every taxa covered in the book. The superb photographs do aid in identification but it is the cornucopia of information that sets this book apart.


     Shumway writes with a fluid, easy style, combining his years as a teacher with an intimate knowledge of the biology of this region, and, perhaps most importantly a deep love for it. All its creatures are special, all have their role to play, all are acknowledged in all their glorious diversity and individuality.


     I have visited Costa Rica four times and it is unlikely that I will do so again, but rest assured that should it happen, this book will be my constant companion. It is a resource par excellence. A complete guide, not only to La Selva, but the entire ecosystem of this region of Costa Rica.
     I have been an admirer of Alexander Skutch, that scion of Costa Rican ornithology for as long as I can remember, and have paid homage twice at his home in Los Cusingos. He would have applauded this work and championed it - and there could be no better endorsement than that.


Costa Rica's Rainforests: The Natural History of the Plants and Animals of La Selva - Princeton University Press
Scott Wesley Shumway
Paperback - US$45.00 - ISBN 9780691251998
480 pages - 7.5 x 9.5 inches (18.75 x 23.75 cm)
812 colour photographs - 7 tables - 6 maps
Publishing date: 11 August, 2026




David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

29 comments:

  1. Bellissime fotografie,complimenti!OLga

    ReplyDelete
  2. That book will be a treasure for all bird lovers and nature lovers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love informative guide books and have many on Fungi, Lichen, Mosses, and Geology of the Midwest. I have a general book on birds for our area, but nothing in depth like this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s void to know that you are well equipped for the biodiversity of your area.

      Delete
  4. Hello Dawid
    A book like this is a real treasure. As you say, in addition to information, it also includes photos and detailed descriptions, along with detailed content for anyone even remotely interested in such topics. People reach for this type of book more often and with greater enthusiasm, as it offers a wealth of interesting, compelling, and even unique information. You're doing a great job, Dawid, because such a positive review and description will surely encourage more than one reader to pick it up.
    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks a well illustrated book and interesting by what you say.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a very informative and educative book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never been to Le Selva, but I have visited the Osa Peninsula further south. One thing I needed on that trip was a good ID guide. This book looks great, but with the variety of species, I wonder would there be the same ones in both places? I'm sure some would be.Thanks for sharing David. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a hint of irony here, Erika. The Osa Peninsula is the one distinctive region of Costa Rica I have not visited!

      Delete
  8. ....your library keeps expanding.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds like a wonderful book, David. I would love to have grown flowers that hummingbirds feed on. Unfortunately, there are no hummingbirds living here.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rainforest in Costa Rica is Paradise for fauna and flora and this book must show those beauties.
    Your library is growing...as mine ;)
    Bisous et bonne semaine !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My library is overflowing, Anna - but you can never have too many books!

      Delete
  11. A wonderful interesting book. I would be very happy to read it and keep it on my bookshelf.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This book looks both informative and beautifully illustrated. Your reviews always give us such a good idea of what the book is about.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We loved our trip to Costa Rica and all the wildlife we saw in their natural habitats! What a wonderful book and a great review as always. Thanks.David.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I will have to tell my Son about this book. He and my grandson are planning a trip to Costa Rica. Thank you David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they are interested in exploring the natural wonders of this diverse, interesting country, this book will serve them very well.

      Delete
  15. I've not been to Costa Rica's rainforests but when I do go, this book sounds like it would be a very useful companion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If ever you get a chance to go, Dorothy, jump at it. It’s a wonderful destination.

      Delete
  16. It does seem like not only a guide book but one filled with interesting information and facts. Based on your book review., it is clear that Scott Wesley Shumway did a great job presenting the rich biodiversity of La Selva....It is so great that La Silva is so welcoming to everyone while being a well known and distinguished research facility.
    I can certainly see how Costa Rica would be a paradise for bird watching!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks and sounds very informative. A must book for anyone who is thinking about visiting Costa Rica.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Je to velmi zajímavý a pro mne poučný příspěvek. Je možné, že jsem o kostarickém deštném pralese neslyšela a La Selvu tedy neznám. Člověk stále objevuje něco nového, díky zajímavým lidem a učíme se celý život. V zeměpisných knihách jsou jako příklad deštného pralesa uváděny jiné oblasti, ale po přečtení této recenze se na Kostariku zaměřím.
    Děkuji a přeji úspěšný vstup do měsíce září! Hanka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If ever you have a chance to visit Costa Rica you must do so without a moment’s hesitation. David

      Delete
  19. Kikou, happy September, my dear friend! a friend of mine just returned from her vacation in Costa Rica and she's absolutely thrilled, she's over the moon! 🥰😘😘😘 Big kisses! 🤗💖✨

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks like a fascinating place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This seems like a very informative and educational book to me, David.
    I wish you a wonderful week.
    All the best, Irma

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers