Sunday, August 02, 2026

A Visit to Lakeside Park, Kitchener, ON

"Nature isn't separate from us, and part of our salvation as a species depends on respecting, if not rejoicing in, that simple companionable truth."

Diane Ackerman

                                                                                                                                 

     Lakeside Park is a noteworthy little oasis in the midst of urban development and Miriam and I made a couple of recent visits. Here is an account of the first one.



26 July, 2026

     For a naturalist, patrolling the park with eyes wide open, there is a never-ending source of discovery and joy.
     This Topiary Grass Veneer (Chrysoteuchia topiarus) was spotted quietly resting and we took a picture without disturbing it.


     Loxocera cylindrica is a species of Rust Fly in the family Psilidae.


     Virginia Stickseed (Hackelia virginiana) looks labyrinthian and vaguely sinister embraced by clinging vines.


     Ants in the subgenus Lasius are often detected foraging above ground.


     Predictably, Common Red Soldier Beetles (Rhagonycha fulva) were seen "everywhere."


     Adults feed on aphids, and eat pollen and nectar. Larvae prey on ground-dwelling invertebrates, such as slugs and snails, and live at the base of long grasses. The adults, which are active between June and August, spend much of their short lives mating and can often be seen in pairs.


     In Britain they are commonly referred to as Hogweed Bonking Beetles!
     Condylostylus is a genus of flies in the family Dolichopodidae. It is the second largest genus in the subfamily Sciapodinae, with more than 250 species included.
     It is far from easy - at least for me - to separate one species from another, but here are two of these scintillating little creatures.



     I think this is a Virginia Creeper Treehopper (Telamona ampelopsidis), but I am not sure.


     Jagged Ambush Bugs (genus Phymata) are easy to find.


     Carrot Seed Moth (Sitochroa palealis) was first spotted in North America in 2002 and has become well established.


     It manifests a distinct preference for Wild Carrot (Daucus carota) as seen above.
     This attractive flower is probably Lesser Burdock (Arctium minus).


     Common Motherwort (Leconurus cardiaca) is introduced and widespread.


    The specific epithet cardiaca refers to the belief in the 17th Century that  motherwort is useful for removing "melancholy" vapors from the heart.
     I am always happy to see Wild Bergamot (Monarda fistulosa), an excellent native pollinator plant.


     Eastern Calligrapher (Toxomerus germinatus) is one of our most common flower flies.


     Dragonflies are often difficult to photograph because they dart around at high speed and seldom land. Autumn Meadowhawk (Sympetrum vicinum) is a little more cooperative than many other common species.


     There are those who refer to Chicory (Cichorium intybus) as a weed. How dare they? The flower is as close to perfection as one might attain.


     Eurasian Drone Fly (Eristalis arbustorum) is a very attractive hoverfly.  In North America, the species was introduced near Toronto around 1885 and is now ubiquitous throughout much of Canada and the United States.


     Perennial Sow Thistle (Sonchus arvensis) is ubiquitous and (as are all thistles) quite beautiful.


     Purple Loosestrife (Lythrum salicaria) is an invasive plant that causes serious issues in native ecosystems.

     
     It has spread rapidly across North America and is present in nearly every Canadian province and almost every U.S. state. This plant has the ability to produce as many as two million seeds in a growing season, creating dense stands of Purple Loosestrife that outcompete native plants for habitat. These populations result in changes to ecosystem functions, including reduced nesting sites, shelter, and food for birds, as well as an overall decline in biodiversity.
     White Meadowsweet (Spiraea alba) is delicate and fragrant, and exceptionally beautiful.


     Fungi are not easy to identify without specialized education and practice, but based on my limited ability with these taxa I believe this specimen is Bearded Fieldcap (Agrocybe molesta).



     A Common Eastern Bumble Bee (Bombus impatiens) was foraging on Common Jewelweed (Impatiens capensis)


     I am utterly entranced by Miriam's whimsical captures of Ribwort Plantain (Plantago lanceolata).



     This Red-belted Bumble Bee (Bombus rufocinctus) was busy sipping nectar from White Clover (Trifolium repens), having already garnered a substantial quantity of pollen.


     What a handsome creature it is!


     We visited Lakeside Park just a few days later when my daughter was spending time with us, and I had originally planned to combine the two sessions into one report. This is already quite long enough, however and there will be more to follow.


     Lakeside Park forever!


David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

32 comments:

  1. Lakeside Park is a beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My apologies so few comments but I always take a look at your beautiful photos. The special one for me here is the chicory of which we have masses at the moment. Nigel's back is not improving and so much more for me to do. 16 August his sister and BIL from Ozz are arriving for a few days. I am now trying to think ahead!! I hope all is well, I think of you both often. Bisous mon ami, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don’t worry, Diane. Check in whenever you have a chance. It must be difficult hosting company when Nigel’s back is so troublesome. Stay well. Bisous - David

      Delete
  3. Difficult for me to pick a winner after this pleasant wander through Lakeside Park, but I must say, the Chicory and White Meadowsweet are pure delight. There's more education for me, though unfortunately too many 'well never heard of that one before!' but which takes nothing away from my thanks for this David.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are very lucky to have such a beautiful urban park close by. There is indeed a lot to discover. As you can imagine, I thoroughly enjoyed all the beautiful plants and insects. Big hugs - Carola

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oasis is truly the description for this wonderful place. Thank you, David.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...this year I have some plantain growing in the garden. It does look like weed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm blown away by the sinister Virginian Hackelia and Miriam's photos, they're amazing! 🌸🤗🌸🌷💕 🌹🤗💕🌷🤗💕🌸🌸

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those flies are just lovely, aren't they? Unappreciated beauty. And I do love that Meadowhawk. I'm beginning to see them around my little pond as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now I would really love to take a walk in that park..and you are lucky having such a beautiful park in your neighbourhood. Some gorgeous shots, David.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All those little creatures are amazing, the photo of them are good, well done.
    I love the flower of the weed, Chicory, as you say it's perfection. Gorgeous colour too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dobrý den,
    zdravím z České republiky. ☺ Je to moc zajímavý článek, podle latinských názvů zjistím, jak se vašim objektům z fotografií říká u nás. U mouchy Loxocera cylindrica jsem překladem zjistila, že je to americký hmyz severně od Mexika.
    Brouk Rhagonycha fulva se u nás jmenuje Páteříček žlutý, i když se uvádí, že jeho tělo je oranžové až hnědé, krovky mají většinou stejnou barvu jako tělo, ale bývají tmavší, u některých jedinců až černé. Vyskytuje se u nás velmi hojně.
    Můra mrkvová Sitochroa palealis se u nás jmenuje Zavíječ zelenavý a je dost rozšířená. Děkuji za latinské názvy, podle nich to najdu.
    Cichorium intybus je u nás hojně rozšířená a říká se jí čekanka. Spolu s cukrovou řepou a žitem byla užívána jako ingredience k výrobě tzv. Mischkaffee (míchané kávy), hojně se vyráběla během tzv. kávové krize (1976–1979) ve východním Německu. V ČR pod názvem Melta.Je to léčivá bylina.
    Děkuji za zajímavý článek a zdravím do Kanady! Hanka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this lovely comment, Hanka, validating the importance of using scientific names for clarity.

      Delete
  12. Another lovely walk, where you show us the variety of plants and small animals that you have close at hand in a most instructive way. I learned about the Purple Loosestrife's invasiveness in N America not long ago, it's a very important pollinator plant in its native Europe. BTW I hope you don't mind me correcting you but I think the flower the red-belted bumblebee is sipping from looks more like a white clover (Trifolium repens).
    Have a nice week, greetings from burning Spain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right, Guillermo. I have made the correction.

      Delete
  13. Hello David,
    What a beautiful series of photos of your visit to Lakeside Park.
    The nature there looks beautiful, by the looks of it.
    The chicory and the white meadowsweet are my favorites.
    I wish you a lovely week.
    All the best, Irma

    ReplyDelete
  14. You found many interesting insects on your visit to Lakeside Park, David. The flowers there are also so beautiful. My favorites today are Wild Bergamot and Chicory. They are both so beautiful.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous pictures David ! Those tinny creatures are essential.
    You need a good "eye" to find them ;)
    Bises et bonne semaine !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello David, so much of the plants and insects you show in your blog I can find here in our part of the world. As you say it was all brought in by the settlers from Europe. This is also the case here with plants and animals from, China etc. And some are harming the local flora and fauna. To bad we can not restore it.
    Warm greatings from a very hot Belgium. Today 36 degrees.
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hari OM
    I love this focus on that which can so easily be dismissed! As a "Brit", however, I can honestly say I have never heard the term 'hogweed bonking beetles'. Perhaps just local to wherever you overheard it? YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was first recounted to me by the late Richard Pegler. If my memory serves me well we were visiting Scotland at the time. Perhaps you need to hand around with a few entomologists. I have seen it in print a couple of times.

      Delete
  18. What a great lakeside park. And I love all the insects. You got some super photos, even the dragonfly. And I know ho those 6 legged species. Yesterday I saw a humming bird moth, but sadly, by the time I got my phone to use the camera it was gone. I hope you don't get too hot for weather and you can enjoy some more walks and see more insects. I guess you could say this is entomology season (well it is almost always that except maybe in the dead of winter). hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We tend to focus on insects in July and August when birding is slow.

      Delete
  19. I wonder how many people walk in that park and never notice anything. Beautiful, detailed photographs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably a great many. The park is used by cyclists, runners, dog walkers, and people just out for a stroll. Birders flock there in the spring.

      Delete
  20. Great photos of plants and insects. That Virginia Stickseed looks like it's growing into a knot.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What wonderful photos. Despite being British-born, I have never heard of Hogweed Bonking Beetles! What a funny name!

    ReplyDelete
  22. We hardly ever get a close look at those little creatures but these photos are truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So much to see if one takes the time to look...Wonderful photography..You make a great team..Thanks for sharing with us..

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's wonderful that you have such a beautiful area nearby. As always, the photos are breathtaking. I especially love the stickweed and vine photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are really fortunate, Shari. There are several such places within fifteen minutes of our home. One is behind our house, a mere five minutes walk from our front door.

      Delete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers