22 June, 2026
Clover Point - Beacon Hill Park - Ogden Point Breakwater - Oak Bay
We were rapidly becoming used to seeing deer in the neighbourhood and scarcely paid attention to them. This doe meandered around as we left home, totally unconcerned with us.
I assume the collar signifies that the animal is being monitored by the municipality or the province. They are abundant and unafraid.
Clover Point
Many Small Whites (Pieris rapae) were fluttering in the light breeze, occasionally even landing for a moment or two.
As at all locations the bird life varies with the season, but Black Oystercatcher (Haematopus bachmani) is a fixture year round.
Barn Swallows (Hirundo rustica) appear to have had a successful breeding season and many juveniles were patiently waiting for parents to bring food.
Beacon Hill Park
On a visit to Beacon Hill Park one is always greeted by Indian Peafowl (Pavo cristatus), both vocally and visually.
I am never quite sure whether these birds are now considered feral, having originated from captive stock to be sure, but they seem to wander and breed at will, and we saw not a single banded bird. They have spilled out of the park and may be readily seen in residential neighbourhoods adjoining the park.
Whatever their status, they are magnificent birds.
A Dark-eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis) is a little more pedestrian but no less delightful.
American Sand Wasps (Bembix americana), generally deemed beneficial, were busy, in the way that insects often are.
Chestnut-backed Chickadee (Poecile rufescens) is the cousin of Black-capped Chickadee (P. atricapillus) so familiar to us at home.
Water droplets are the jewels of nature, eternally renewable, beautiful, and always available to rich and poor alike without charge.
On every occasion but one, as best I remember, a Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) has been perched atop this totem pole when we have visited Beacon Hill Park.
A huge cruise ship was berthed at Ogden Point, the first time we have witnessed this.
A Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia) greeted us and probably greeted the cruise ship wayfarers too.
We have been visiting this eatery since the very first time we arrived in Victoria, and today we stopped in to have a coffee and share a blueberry scone.
Ogden Point is possibly the most reliable spot to see Pigeon Guillemot (Cepphus columba), and true to form a pair were swimming in the inner harbour.
I am unaware of the conditions that prompted it, but there seemed to be a mini invasion of Moon Jellies (genus Aurelia).
Scented Garden
Late afternoon, we decided to walk over to the Scented Garden which we had spotted earlier.
It is quite lovely, designed primarily for the blind and visually impaired to experience the scents of nature.
Oak Bay
Perhaps the fishing was not good at that spot for it took off almost right away to move to the other side of the bay.
We did not see many shorebirds during our visit but this Greater Yellowlegs (Tringa melanoleuca) was reliable.
Where Rock Doves (Columba livia) are concerned love is always in the air! Just look at that male puffing out his chest and the female ignoring him!
Large gulls interbreed frequently and the resulting plumages are variable and confusing, especially for birders from central and eastern Canada who rarely see them. This individual is probably a mix of Western Gull and Glaucous-winged Gull (Larus occidentalis x glaucescens), colloquially known as Olympic Gull.
Someone had vacated a picnic table and left the ingredients for a substantial feast behind - especially if you are a crow!
Mirroring humans, they went for the junk food first. Cheesies were the preferred choice and it took them no time at all to get into the bag.
This female Mallard (Anas platyrynchos) had but one duckling in her care.
It's likely that she started out with eight or ten young and they fell victim to various predators. The remaining individual is now big enough that it has a great chance to survive.
It was with great excitement that we spotted a North American River Otter (Lontra canadensis) just as we were about to leave.
Too bad for the crow that some of that is in closed containers, but then I hear they're among the smartest of birds, so maybe it will find a way.
ReplyDeleteDobrý den,
ReplyDeletejsem tady podruhé a přečetla jsem si váš velice zajímavý článek. Prohlížím si skvělé fotografie a je mi jasné, že u vás žijí druhy, které u nás ve střední Evropě neznám - Česká republika. Vanessa annabella je česky zvaná babočka západní a ta vaše West Coast lady žije v západní části Severní Ameriky. Z toho soudím, že u nás ji vidět nemohu.
Líbí se mi záběr zálivu u Clover Point. Ústřičníka černého znám, je v naší zoologické zahradě, podobně jako kachna harlekýnská. Zaujali mě vrabci, uvedené druhy u nás nežijí, vůbec v posledních letech došlo k velkému úbytku vrabců. U nás se vyskytují dva druhy - Vrabec polní (Passer montanus), je menší a štíhlejší než vrabec domácí (Passer domesticus).
Pěkný je vodouš velký (Tringa melanoleuca), dočetla jsem se, že je to severoamerický druh vodouše, bahňáka z čeledi slukovitých. Do Evropy zalétává jen vzácně.
Děkuji za zajímavou přírodopisnou exkurzi a zdravím do vzdáleného kontinentu. Výletní loď je parádní! 😸
That's quite a selection of flora and fauna! Terrific.
ReplyDeleteI have never seen Black Oystercatcher before, David. It's a beautiful bird. Water droplets are very pretty indeed. At my sons cabin we often see Moon Jellies. A Scented Garden sounds very nice. Crows are very wise. They imitate everything they see.
ReplyDeleteHugs and kisses, Marit
Lots of incredible sightings. That ship looks huge.
ReplyDeleteIt was huge.
DeleteFantastic pictures as always. My favorite was the Lorquin's Admiral. That gumweed looks very similar to a plant (whose name I don't know) that grows near the shore here. Next time I see it I must get a picture to compare and to try to identify it.
ReplyDeleteLorquin’s Admiral is stunning.
DeleteSo many beautiful views and animals..so many things that I have never seen in my life..that jelly is so gorgeous.
ReplyDelete...David, once again thanks for sharing your exceptional day. You packed it full of wonderful sightings.
ReplyDeleteThis is a beautiful adventure David. The photos are simply gorgeous. Thank you for sharing your life in wilds with us.
ReplyDeleteHello David :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a pleasure to see your wonderful bird sightings and. pretty butterflies. Oak Bay is a lovely place, and the tall flower beds in the scented garden enables visiters to sit on the surrounding stone which is such a thoughtful idea for anyone to sit and smell the flowers. How thrilling to see the otter just before you left. A perfect outing indeed.
Hugs and kisses
Sonjia.
What a good capture of the otter in motion, and I love not only the poetic name but also the translucent look of the Moon Jellies.
ReplyDeleteI love the idea of a garden designed for the blind and visually impaired. How very special.
ReplyDeleteInteresting, for me, to see the banded deer. Fun to see the Crow, but cheese snacks are not the best for anyone! lol I have tried to befriend some on my farm, without any luck.
ReplyDeleteThe mallow is so pretty, and I especially liked that West Coast Lady. Great name.
ReplyDeleteThe cruise ship seems to be a huge apartment complex on water!
That does look like a great day. I've seen sea otters but never river one. and those cruise ships are HUGE, aren't they? Like a skyscraper on the water. You visited some beautiful places, and it was a lovely day!
ReplyDeleteSo there are a lot of deer there too, we have them here as well, but predators have followed and hunted them, so now there are a few less of them. You’ve again had a very interesting destination, and it’s a great pleasure to see your amazing photos of birds, butterflies, and plants, the landscape is of course always interesting. We have those Jellies in a few lakes, and they are being tried to be removed, they’re green, I don’t know the species. All the best to You!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful series of photos, David.
ReplyDeleteThe black oystercatcher is a special species and, as far as I know, does not occur in the Netherlands; I have never seen one before.
You have photographed the water droplets beautifully.
Nice to see an otter too.
All the best, Irma
You are right, Irma. Black Oystercatcher does not occur in Europe.
DeleteHari OM
ReplyDeleteI see a lot of those floating tower blocks... but that's a particularly ugly one! Thank goodness most of what you saw was of such beauty... YAM xx
Beautiful photo of the Otter there. That sure is a big ship.
ReplyDeleteThe butterflies look good as do the birds, and in the bay there seems to be a lot of timber.
Amazing observations, dear David. That Lorquin's Admiral really caught my eye. I love learning about North American nature through your posts. And congratulations on that Otter, the photos are fantastic!
ReplyDeleteAn otter is always very special, Guillermo.
DeleteAn other day in Paradise....
ReplyDeleteBeautiful pictures catching the beauty of Nature !
Thanks David !
Bonne journée !
Bisous
Anna
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteHola, David.
ReplyDeleteSiempre me sorprendes con tus preciosas instantáneas. Me gustan un montón.
Espero que tengas un buen día.
Te invito también a visitar mi espacio (creo que no se actualiza)
Un abrazo y feliz día.
What a lovely place! All of those butterflies are new to me, and more than half of the birds are new to me; of course this is not surprising as most of Canada, including BC, is new to me. Thank you for sharing these photos with all of us.
ReplyDeleteTime for you to pay us a visit, Deb.
DeleteThe crow didn't waste any time getting the cheese snacks open and into his mouth. Lovely photos and a nice enjoyable day, thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteI've never seen a Lorquin's Admiral, not even a picture before. I did see a red admiral in the yard yesterday. And what a delight to see the otter.
ReplyDeleteLots of 'never heard of that one' for me in the grand sweep around the bay at Clover Point and beyond, most notably the Black Oystercatcher, the Lorquin's Admiral, and the West Coast Lady, which I guess is a relation of the migrant Painted Lady which visits us in the UK in the summer months.
ReplyDeleteAnother wonderful guided tour with excellent illustrations.
Thank You David....Pete.
The otter would have been the highlight of my day. I've seen them on the Isle of Skye.
ReplyDeleteCruise ships get everywhere, don't they?
What a beautiful day you had! The cruise ships are massive. Increasing numbers of them come here now. They come in various sizes, but some are huge, carrying more passengers than the population of the town--and then there are the crew members, who sometimes number over a thousand.
ReplyDeleteI think that post COVID a the traffic on these ships has diminished somewhat. In the event of any kind of disease or other problem people are really confined.
DeleteI have had a very enjoyable time going through all your photos. Incredible sightings!
ReplyDeleteThat huge cruise ship makes me shudder.
ReplyDeleteAs I mentioned before, we have an abundance of deer in our neighborhood as well. you would think that people would get used to that and behave accordingly. However, unfortunately there are still drivers who think our residential streets are highways and one of them hit a beautiful buck at the other end of our street. It made me sad and mad.
I very much enjoy all your photos from Victoria. I would love to visit there again, it's been very long since we were there last. More big hugs - Carola
The Indian Peafowl is truly a living spectacle, it looks like a real living jewel, and the otter was the perfect ending to the day, so lovely, so friendly, it's impossible not to smile watching it play in the water. I adore it, i want to touch the tip of her nose! 🦦🦦🦦
ReplyDeleteGros bisous, dear friend 🦚🍃
Delightful post! I used to see deer with tracking collars all the time, but lately they’ve been bare necked. Our national park was studying their movements to develop plans for controlling chronic wasting disease. I guess they finish their research, at least for now.
ReplyDeleteIs that a seated peacock? It's huge! Amazing how quickly you became blase to deer! You saw some wonderful creatures (loved that harlequin duck and the heron that looked a bit fluffy!) and the garden is lovely. What a grand time. (That ship is enormous!)
ReplyDeleteWat een mooi park waar jullie waren David.
ReplyDeleteEn wat zag je weer veel moois aan vogels en andere dieren.
Mooie vlinder ook de Admiraal vlinder.
De Amerikaanse zandwesp is ook een bijzondere, mooi hoor.
Ik heb genoten van je foto's.
Groetjes Tinie
Goodness! That cruise ship is huge!
ReplyDeleteI did enjoy seeing all of your sightings, I think the otter got my favourite vote though :)
All the best Jan
Eine schöne Foto Serie mit den verschiedenen Tieren in der Natur.
ReplyDeleteDas Kreuzfahrschiff ist sehr groß.
Gruß
Noke
Dear David,
ReplyDeleteYou've made many wonderful discoveries again on my dream island 😊. I was especially pleased about the successful breeding season of the barn swallows. Regarding the picnic table: Was it really left in THAT condition? I would find that simply unbelievable (even if the crows enjoyed the unhealthy feast). Or had the people just stepped out briefly and then wondered where their junk food had gone?
Regarding the North American River Otter – we just saw two European otters in the Waldviertel region of Lower Austria with our grandchild and daughter – not in the wild, though, but in the "Hochmoor Nature Park."
Unfortunately, the next heat wave has just started here 🥵... I hope it's not so hot where you are, so that people, animals, and plants don't suffer too much. I've read about numerous forest fires in Canada, supposedly more than ever... how sad 😥
All the best from Austria to you and Miriam 🤗
Traude
We were there for at least a half hour, Traude, and no one came back.
DeleteWow, you got some AMAZING photos!
ReplyDeleteUwielbiam wybrzeża. tam zawsze dzieje się coś ciekawego. trzeba się rozglądać, bo zwierzęta lubią wybrzeża tak jak my, tyle, że zupełnie z innego powodu. Uwielbiam te brodzące ptaki poszukujące pożywienia w nadmorskim błocku.
ReplyDeleteDavid, you posted beautiful photos!!! I also like taking photos, but I'm an amateur.
ReplyDeleteDavid, I send you greetings and wish you a nice Sunday!
Maravilloso reportaje y encantada de pasear contigo, todo me gusta. Abrazos para Miriam y para ti.
ReplyDeleteReally wonderful photos. I love the photo of the otter! I took photos in Alaska using my phone but they don't begin to compare with yours. I too take seeing deer for granted as we have so many of them that hang out in our neighborhood.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed each and EVERY photo, they are all amazing to me, from the tiny adorable sparrow to the two ducks you started with. My favorite is chosen because when the swimming otter appeared I actually gasped with JOY... so beautiful, the otter and the photo... I know why they put the collars on wildlife, but I feel bad for them. It would bother me to have it around my neck and I think it does them also. I have not seen a deer in the wild. the brilliant blue of the peahen grabbed my attention also..
ReplyDeleteHi David,
ReplyDeleteA wonderful fourth report on your visit to the island; the huge ship is very impressive—though also a major polluter—and the otter at the end makes for a perfect conclusion.
Best regards, Frank
Hello David, a nice and interesting blog of your trip to Victoria BC. The birds, butterflies, Deer, and not to forget the great encounter with a Otter. Wow. One thing for sure you will never get me on those cruise ships for lots of reasons ....
ReplyDeleteWarm regards from Belgium,
All the best,
Roos