20 June, 2026
I was up around 05h:00, (my normal time), after a good night's sleep; my body seemed to have quickly adjusted to the three-hour time difference between British Columbia and Ontario.
Jan served us a terrific breakfast of fruit with yogurt, an omelette and toast - and coffee, of course.
Suitably fortified, we were all set to go for a long walk.
Here is a look at Jan's co-op apartment building, a mere five minutes (or less) from the Oak Bay waterfront.
If you have ever visited Oak Bay you will be familiar with this welcome to the marina.
Bull Kelp (Nereocystis luetkeana) was floating in the water, bobbing on the swell.
Plants will become established wherever there is a little soil for a seed to take hold; Gumplants (genus Grindelia) are common in this environment.
Opportunistic Northwestern Crows (Corvus brachyrynchos caurinus) could be reliably expected at the beach and along the shore, searching for natural food and hoping for an extra helping from wasteful humans.
We were led by Jan on a regular walk that she takes. Along the way we passed through some very attractive upscale neighbourhoods.
When we first spotted this cat it was lying on top of the library, perhaps waiting for someone to drop off a copy of "The Cat in the Hat!"
It was a gorgeous animal, obviously someone's cherished pet.
Columbian Black-tailed Deer (Odocoileus hemionus columbianus) have totally integrated into the urban life of the Greater Victoria area.
We quickly became accustomed to seeing them, and enjoyed them very much. No doubt they are considered marauders by avid gardeners!
Magnificent oaks (genus Quercus) were seen everywhere we travelled.
California Poppies (Eschscholzia californica) lined many of the streets; they are exceptionally charismatic, bright and uplifting.
We saw Roses (genus Rosa) in many locations. Most are probably cultivars of one kind or another, but some seem to have colonized roadsides and are thriving.
Many wildflowers are less flamboyant than domesticated varieties, but are nevertheless attractive, making their home in wild spaces, often in poor soil.
Yarrows (genus Achillea)
Common Cat's Ear (Hypochaeris radicata)
Feverfew (Tanacetum parthenium)
Another impressive residence.
There is always a chance that one might see Orcas (Orcinus orca) from this high lookout, but today we had to be content with a fine view of the bay.....
There was much to enchant the eye as we meandered through the park and out into the nearby residential areas.
A Western Honey Bee (Apis mellifera) was busy.
As a child I used to pinch the flowers of foxgloves so that I could pop them, so Purple Foxglove (Digitalis purpurea) evoked fond memories of a simpler time.
That master wordsmith, Arthur Cleveland Bent described the bird as "a happy, jolly little bird, surprisingly quick and agile." I agree!
Near to home is the Oak Bay Rose Garden and we very much enjoyed a visit there.
We wish her great success.
That was a really beautiful cat you saw there, David. The roses were very beautiful, and they probably smelled very good too.
ReplyDeleteI wrote a blog post today, but as usual it is not visible.
Hugs and kisses, Marit
...wow, what a tour. Thanks, David.
ReplyDeleteA fine walk, and oh, those roses!
ReplyDeleteThose roses....!
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh, the gardens. Nice residential area too.
ReplyDeleteThat cat. So pretty.
Aren't free libraries wonderful? Denise has set one up at her place.
AND what an outstanding park. Thanks for letting us tag along. Glad you and Miriam had such a grand time.
Hope your weekend is filled with wonder...and, of course, birds;)
Those are really nice walks you took David. I bet that rose garden was beautiful, as well as the walk along the shore. They looked it in your photos. It's always nice to get away, but I'm sure you both enjoyed visiting Miriam's sister. Have a great weekend. hugs-Erika
ReplyDelete🌈🌞 ✨🙌🍀✨️🌟🌸🌈 Mamma mia! Oak Bay looks like a true paradise, my friend! So much beauty and happy moments, how lovely, guys! 🌞🌞🌞🌞🌹💚 And those tufts on the cat's ears... he looks like a little lynx! adore him 😍🌞🌹🍀🌸🌹🐱🌹🐱🌹🐱😍 The magnificent roses... oh, what a blissful summer.
ReplyDeleteGros bisous
What a beautiful walk you had! The views are lovely and I sure love those big old oaks. Such majestic trees. I'm glad you saw some California Poppies - I call them the good mood flowers. I always have to smile when I see them (so I smile a lot around where I live). The roses are beautiful. Big big hugs - Carola
ReplyDeleteKiitos David. En ole käynyt Oak Bayssa, mutta nyt pääsin Janin sinulle ja teille tarjoamalle luontokierrokselle. Näit taas paljon mielenkiintoista.
ReplyDeleteRuusutarha oli piste i:n päälle, hurmaavat ruusut!
Beautiful photos. Adjusting to that three-hour time difference so quickly is a massive win, especially since it gave you an early start to enjoy such a serene summer morning by the marina. Jan's neighborhood looks absolutely spectacular, completely filled with gorgeous gardens, picture-postcard ocean views, charming details like that handsome cat lounging on top of the free library. Spotting everything from the Red-breasted Nuthatch to those urban Black-tailed deer shows how vibrantly alive the coast is, even if those local gardeners might disagree about the deer being a welcome sight. That childhood memory of popping foxgloves brought a wonderful personal touch to the walk. Thank you for sharing. Happy Saturday.
ReplyDeleteI like how that cat is showing it choppers for the camera.
ReplyDeleteLovely roses, gardens and houses look good and homely, David.
ReplyDeleteThese are such amazing photos of your walk, David.
ReplyDeleteThe roses are my favorite.
I wish you a lovely weekend.
All the best, Irma
Beautiful place for hollidays or stay for good ;)
ReplyDelete5 a.m. Why ? So early...8.30 is fine for me :)
Thanks for sharing your gorgeous pictures !
Have a lovely weekend !
Bises
Anna
Early morning is the best part of the day, Anna. The dawn chorus of the birds makes it worthwhile, apart from other joys. Bisous - David
DeleteHello David, you seem to have had a lovely time there. What a joy to discover such a beautiful area with you, thank you very much for sharing.
ReplyDeleteToo bad you weren't with me, Guillermo.
DeleteWhat a nice walk through a beautiful place. Thanks, David.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful area to enjoy so close to your temporary home.
ReplyDeleteHari Om
ReplyDeleteAs other's have said, the flowers, in particular the roses, are astonishingly beautiful - oh for smellyvision! I am 95% confident your feline friend was Maine Coone cat of the silver tabby colouration. Handsome indeed! YAM xx
I am sure you are right, YAM. Handsome fellow, huh?
DeleteThis is such a pretty place. I love the marina. We have a free library on my street and it is well used. Have a nice day today.
ReplyDeleteWhile browsing through the beautiful photos, I almost got scared . The terrible cat beast started staring at me.
ReplyDeleteHah!
DeleteHello David!
ReplyDeleteWhat a delightful walk through Oak Bay! Your photographs capture so much of the natural beauty—the shoreline, birds, flowers, deer, seals and magnificent trees … but I also enjoyed seeing the lovely homes, gardens and welcoming neighborhoods along the way. The combination of wild nature and carefully tended beauty makes the area seem especially charming. Even the handsome “library cat” added a perfect touch of humor! I can’t close without mentioning, I especially love the beauty of the roses in the Oak Bay Rose Garden. Thank you for taking us along on such a peaceful and picturesque morning.
Quick comment on Victoria, BC – Part 1 … I should have mentioned this in my comment for Part 1 … I continue to about your flight from Pearson International Airport in Mississauga nonstop to Victoria. My fascination is that there WAS a nonstop to Victoria as I would have thought all flights from so far back east would go into Vancouver. Now that I’ve thought about it, I’ll bet folks realize that flying into Vancouver they will need to take a ferry to Vancouver Island, thus creating the demand for a nonstop to Victoria. Interesting!
Another great post, David. Thank you for sharing and a happy weekend to you and yours.
John
Westjet also has a flight connecting through Calgary, John, and Air Canada has direct flights and connecting flights via Vancouver. Victoria is well served!
DeleteBeautiful place❤️
Delete
ReplyDeleteA most enjoyable walk with so many delightful things to see and beautiful views. My thought was that the cat was a Maine Coon - very beautiful with fine ear tufts.
Looks vaguely like a Lynx.
DeleteThose California poppies are a lovely color, aren't they?
ReplyDeleteI love finding the free libraries when I travel. I need to put more books in my Jeep to give away. And the gardens you saw and flower beds are spectacular! Thanks for sharing my friend, Diane
ReplyDeleteThere just aren't enough WOWS to describe how much I enjoyed this post and your FABULOUS photographs.
ReplyDeleteThank you.
All the best Jan
What a beautiful area. The roses are lovely and nice to see the hummingbird. I always enjoy coming across a little library when I travel. The cat is a bonus.
ReplyDeleteThanks for taking us on your walk and sharing these wonderful pictures.
ReplyDeleteHi David.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful surroundings.
Beautiful flowers, that deer is very beautiful.
Regards from Patricia.
Hi David :)
ReplyDeleteEye catching houses and gardens, and it was nice to see a free library, Great shots of the most handsome cat that must be a special breed-
Beautiful sea views, and wild flowers The first flower that caught my interst was the Sea Thrift, how very pretty it is. I use the Rose of Sharon as ground cover in my garden, it's bright yellow flowers are cheerful blooms.
Lovely to see deer in the wild, the humming bird, and the Red-breasted Nut hatch. The roses in the rose garden ate all breathtaking- What a brilliant post with so much to see and admire. Thank you David, I enjoyed my visit very much.
Hugs and kisses
Sonjia.
The cat is very handsome! The second photo of him is my favorite, he looks like I could pet him through my screen.
ReplyDeleteThe roses are all just Magnificent! All the views are post card perfect. I have never seen a whale of any kind except in captivity. Your trip was one I would totally enjoy.. I love looking at beautiful homes and gardens, although the wild is my favorite. The paths that look like the critters have formed tunnels are my favorite views today and also that huge and wonderful Old Oak Tree.
Lots of lovely things to capture on your camera. I enjoy your photography.
ReplyDeleteFeeling better here everyday from our long slog of grandparenting without the parents present. We have a week off before one granddaughter returns for a day camp here. Then we all head to the Adirondacks for a lovely week on a lake.
Hallo David,
ReplyDeletewas für ein wunderbarer Morgen! Beim Lesen hatte ich das Gefühl, euch auf eurem Spaziergang durch Oak Bay zu begleiten. Die Kombination aus Küste, gepflegten Gärten, alten Eichen und dem Blick auf den Pazifik wirkt geradezu idyllisch.
Besonders begeistert haben mich die vielen Pflanzen. Die Strand-Grasnelken, die Kalifornischen Mohnblumen und natürlich die herrlichen Rosen hätten mir ebenfalls gefallen. Als leidenschaftliche Gärtnerin schaue ich auf Reisen immer zuerst auf die Gärten und die Pflanzenwelt. Die Rosen im Oak Bay Rosengarten sind wirklich ein Traum.
Auch die Begegnungen mit den Tieren machen diesen Bericht besonders. Die Schwarzwedelhirsche mitten im städtischen Umfeld fand ich faszinierend. Und die Katze auf der kleinen Bibliothek hätte wahrscheinlich auch meine volle Aufmerksamkeit bekommen. Was für ein schönes Tier!
Sehr interessant fand ich außerdem den Hinweis auf die Kelpwälder mit dem Riesentang. Seit einigen Jahren lese ich immer wieder über ihre enorme Bedeutung für die Küstenökosysteme. Es freut mich, dass ihr diese Landschaft aus nächster Nähe erleben konntet.
Der kleine Annakolibri im Rosengarten war schließlich ein perfekter Schlusspunkt für einen Tag voller Natur und Schönheit. Solche Momente bleiben lange in Erinnerung.
Herzliche Grüße aus Deutschland
Anette
Buen paseo y buenas capturas de una naturaleza que es un placer verla. Me ha gustado esa biblioteca y el gato. Bueno todo es un gusto de ver. Gran colección de rosas.
ReplyDeleteAnother bad summer, David. So far, we're doing well this year without fires. Let's hope we can have a good summer. Thanks.
Buena semana.
Un abrazo.
David, this was quite a change from your normal walks and I enjoyed seeing the surroundings. That cat obviously knew the best place to hang out, near a library!
ReplyDeleteWow, what a wonderful trip—it looks like a movie set,
ReplyDeleteespecially the view of the sea from above!
The flowers are fantastic, and I love the mini mobile library (I adore libraries of all kinds).
The cat is so cute with its curious nature.
Stay healthy and keep traveling!
So much to say - once again - about this comprehensive and beautifully illustrated day, which started at the Oak Bay waterfront, and ended at the stunning Rose Bay Garden. This account is deserving of all the 40+ comments from your followers David....Well done is a bit of an understatement.
ReplyDeleteKind Regards....Pete.
I enjoy your photography immensely, David!
ReplyDeleteThe silvery cat is very handsome, and I adore those colourful roses. And also the birds. They are species I have never seen before, and it is a joy to see them in photographs.
Yours, Amelia
I am looking forward to seeing you again soon, Amelia. I miss you all.
DeleteThe combination of beautiful coastal scenery, wildlife, flowers and gardens made this a delight to read. The cat on top of the little free library was just lovely! Thanks for taking us along.
ReplyDeleteI'm delighted with your walk through this beautiful city. It's spectacular, with beautiful architecture, abundant greenery and flowers. I imagine it was a pleasant, unforgettable walk.
ReplyDeleteGreetings.
You got a great shot of that crow! The flowers are beautiful and that cat is truly stunning!
ReplyDeleteThat cat was a Maine Coon..They are magnificent cats..Very dog like and can get quite large..They are in registries world wide..Bred from one of the oldest landraces in North America..They have an interesting history, most of which , I forget. You had a beautiful place to spend the week..Being on the water made it special for me..Pretty flowers and spectacular gardens..I enjoyed the pictures...
ReplyDeleteHi David - well that was an interesting walk around the environs of Oak Bay and yes I remember Anderson Park - love all the abundance on Vancouver Island ... the family I was with had a magnificent garden ... keen gardeners, as well as dairy farmers ... cheers Hilary
ReplyDeleteJan has a beautiful walking area! Those gardens and homes are fantastic. As you might expect, my favorite photos were those of the library cat! It sounds like a wonderful visit and more to come!
ReplyDeleteMaravilloso paseo, no puedo elegir nada por que todo me gusta, las rosas, las silvestres, paisajes, bueno todo. Abrazos y besos para todos.
ReplyDeleteI notice how well-tended the gardens are.
ReplyDeletehello David, so much space and what amazing views of the see. To bad no Orcas. Those mensions are impresive and the gardens are stunning. Those roses are very apealing to me ;)
ReplyDeleteWarm regards,
Roos
It is certainly a very beautiful place you visited; besides the flora and fauna, I also like the beautiful landscapes and the urban area shown in the photos.
ReplyDelete