23 July, 2026
We started our walk with a great discussion of two wildflowers; at this point we could still gather round together. The plants under discussion were -
Chicory (Cichorium intybus
and -
Wild Carrot, aka Queen Anne's Lace (Daucus carota)
Chicory is exceptionally beautiful in my estimation; the roots may be baked, ground and used as a coffee substitute.
Wild Carrot is a model of elegance and is the ancestral originator of the cultivated carrot we all like to eat. It was introduced into North America by European settlers and has become common where it is often known as "Queen Anne's Lace". Anne, Queen of Great Britain is the queen after whom the plant is reputedly named, though as a plant name it is not known before 1895, 180 years after her death. It is so called because the inflorescence resembles lace, prominent in fine clothing of the day; the red flower in the centre is said to represent a droplet of blood where Queen Anne pricked herself with a needle when she was making the lace.
Insects are plentiful at this time of year, Common Red Soldier Beetle (Rhagonycha fulva) is extremely common and seems to favour Wild Carrot above all other plants.
We saw several Seven-spotted Lady Beetles (Coccinella septempunctata), an attractive little insect.
This species is native to Europe, most of Asia and North Africa. It was introduced into North America as a biological pest control agent to combat aphid infestations.
A careful inspection of the flowers revealed Jagged Ambush Bugs (genus Phymata), a fairly common insect predator overlooked by many.
Little Becky is always excited to be with the other children and enjoy the walk. She looks a little glum in this picture but rest assured she is not. The camera just caught her at the wrong moment.
We heard more birds than we saw. The foliage forms an unbroken screen and the birds are busy foraging for food to feed hungry nestlings.
A couple of Northern Flickers (Colaptes auratus) put in a brief appearance.
A Western Honey Bee (Apis mellifera) was having a successful morning foraging for nectar and honey - witness the pollen baskets on its hind legs.
Japanese Beetle (Papillia japonica) is undoubtedly one of our more attractive insects, but that doesn't make it any more desirable.
While it is not considered a pest in Japan due to the presence of predators, it is a serious problem here in North America. It damages plants by skeletonizing the foliage and feeds on many species of plants. I sometimes wonder whether anything is immune from its depredations.
A Widow Skimmer (Libellula luctuosa) delighted us all.
This attractive little fellow resembled Jiminy Cricket! It is a type of Spur-throated Grasshopper (subfamily Melanoplinae).
As always it has been a very agreeable morning.
La achicoria y zanahoria silvestre, hay mucha por aquí David. Es una planta que le tiene que gustar mucho a los insectos, siempre tiene muchos. No sabía que se llamara también encaje de la reina Ana. Bien cargadita de polen tenía las patas la abeja. Pepito Grillo posó para la foto :)) Estupendo paseo. Bien lo disfrutarían los críos conociendo plantas y aves.
ReplyDeleteBuen fin de semana.
Un abrazo.
Kolejna fajna wycieczka z Tobą. Dzieci pewnie były zachwycone. Tyle ciekawych owadów, roślin i ptaków. A pasikonik łypnął na Ciebie okiem, jakby chciał powiedzieć, że drugi profil ma lepszy. Pozdrawiam!
ReplyDeleteAnother wondrous trek. And I had no idea what the chicory plant looked like. Thank you:) Have a joyful weekend, David.
ReplyDeleteHow good of you to take these groups and share your knowledge. So important and great photos again. I absolutely love the photo Jiminy cricket lol Its like he is posing. Also ove the birds many i have never heard of. Thanks
ReplyDeleteBeautiful photos. I especially enjoyed the close ups of the bugs.
ReplyDeleteA lovely collection of photographs.
ReplyDeleteLooks and sounds an enjoyable group outing.
All the best Jan
I love beautiful and humble Queen Anne's lace! Those kids are fortunate to learn from you, David.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like a wonderful day out in nature with happy children, David. The chicory flower is very beautiful. Hugs and kisses, Marit
ReplyDeleteThese children are the very best, Marit.
DeleteHello David.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great series of photos from your trip with this group.
The chicory is beautiful; I see it regularly here too.
I have only seen and photographed one red soldier beetle here, where I always walk.
I don't know what is going on with this species, it does occur elsewhere, but precisely where I always walk, I don't see it anymore.
I wish you a wonderful weekend.
All the best, Irma
It seems like only yesterday that you all were bundled up against the cold. What a treat for these kids (and their parents) to be able to go out with you in all seasons to learn about the environment in your area.
ReplyDeleteWe still have a little heat before the cold returns, Shari.
DeleteHari OM
ReplyDeleteyour walks with this group, David, always provide interest and a smile! YAM xx
Chicory and wild carrot are very abundant plants in my area too. They seem to be very adaptable! I will definitely plant some in my future garden.
ReplyDeleteIt is very nice of you to guide these tours, I love it when you share your observations on your blog and I get to learn so much. I’m sure we’d learn a lot from each other if we got the chance to go for a walk together!
Maybe one day, Guillermo.
DeleteOne of my favorite insects to find is the Ambush bugs, they are so amazing. Wonderful walk!
ReplyDeleteThey would definitely like your guidance. That Tyrannus tyrannus is a thought-provoking name.
ReplyDeleteSounds like a joyful day for both you and them. I know I learn so much from you and I am sure they do too. I love to see Queen Annes' Lace. It's so pretty. I did not know about it
ReplyDeletes origins with the carrot.
It always gives me great pleasure to know that people learn from my blog, so thanks for mentioning that.
DeleteA nice outing with an interested group of children. Sharing your knowledge is a wonderful way for them to learn.
ReplyDeleteAnother wonderful excursion with the kids and their parents. Little Becky does look a bit unhappy but I know she had a grand time with you and all of the nature you showed. David, you are a hero.
ReplyDeleteChicory is such a beautiful flower, and the blue is delightful. The Northern Flicker is very attractive. There was much to entertain and educate the group.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely picture of that group! Queen Anne's Lace has always been a favorite of mine. Thanks for the pictures of that, especially the one with lady beetle. Wonderful little insect!
ReplyDeleteIt seems the Am4erican Robin was so proud to be photographed. I also like the photo of the bee at work. Lovely group of friend.
ReplyDelete...grasshoppers are hopping here too!
ReplyDeleteI hope this was a fun day and the homeschool kids get a summer break. :) It looks like a great walk with lots of fascinating species. Except maybe the Japanese beetles. Right now I'm busy picking them off some of the plants before they eat the leaves totally away. AUGH! Happy August to you David. I hope you have a wonderful month. hugs-Erika
ReplyDelete