The juxtaposition of science and indigenous knowledge has long been a subject of great interest to me, particularly as it concerns our relationship with nature in its many and varied guises. Not least among these is the supreme importance of plants throughout The Americas and their connection to the spiritual lives of aboriginal people, whether influenced by a shaman or as an act of personal reverence. And this does not even touch on the intimate knowledge of the therapeutic and pharmacological qualities of sacred plants.
Much of this knowledge, passed down from generation to generation, has been under threat since the very first encounters between white explorers, conquistadors, capitalists and mercenaries; some indeed has been lost along with native land, languages and cultural identities. The authors are correct when they state, "Christianity and extraactivist economies have been operating together with devastating consequences for Indigenous peoples in the Americas for centuries."
Fortunately, these attitudes are undergoing change, albeit slowly and piecemeal, but change nonetheless, with a recognition that Indigenous wisdom has much to offer, reviving and rehabilitating knowledge dismissed out-of-hand by colonial arrogance. My bookshelves contain works by Wade Davis (and through him a connection to perhaps the greatest ethnobotanist of all time, Richard Evans Schultes), Monica Gagliano, Stefano Mancuso, and the most eloquent of all, Robin Wall Kimmerer, whose Braiding Sweetgrass should be required reading for everyone who cares about the planet.
This book is an incredibly valuable addition to the literature, with its dazzling images that leave me breathless. In addition to "simple" photographs of the plants, seemingly innocent of the powerhouse of stimulatory and medicinal compounds they contain, confocal microscopy is used to deliver images as psychedelic as the plants themselves!
Briefly, confocal microscopy is an optical technique for increasing optical resolution and contrast of a micrograph by means of using a spatial pinhole to block out-of-focus light in image formation. Capturing multiple two-dimensional images at different depths in a sample enables the reconstruction of three-dimensional structures within an object. (Wikipedia).
Surely the brightest stars in the galaxy could barely compete with the brilliant beauty of these images.
I have turned the pages of this book many, many times, and still I am left in awe of this hitherto hidden beauty.
This book would make a fine coffee table book, and should be displayed for all to see. But it is more than that. It contains a wealth of information on each of the more than fifty plants featured, in addition to cultural references, historical facts, the present state of the plant and its uses, and speculation as to what the future holds from ethnographic and curative perspectives.
I am indebted to Jill Pflugheber and Steven F. White for sharing their work with us, enabling us to benefit from their concern and compassion.
You will not be displeased, I am sure, if I end this review on a personal note. My wife, Miriam, is an accomplished quilter with a great eye for symmetry, colour matching, design, creativity and all that goes into the completion of a work of art. Even though I am exposed to her formidable skills daily, I never cease to wonder how she does it.
When I showed her the confocal pictures in the book she immediately exclaimed, "Wouldn't that make wonderful fabric!" Indeed it would, and I can only imagine what she could do with it. But I can assure you that it would be great, inspired in no small part by a deep respect for Indigenous people everywhere; a heartfelt tribute to maligned humans for whom justice has been delayed far too long.
Jill Pflugheber and Steven F. White
Hardcover - US$45.00 - ISBN: 9780691296074
264 pages - 10 x 11 inches (25 x 27.5 cm)
200+ colour illustrations - 48 maps
Publishing date: 11 August, 2026

It looks like a great book! I agree with the statement that Christianity and extractivist economies have hurt Indigenous peoples greatly. We need to learn from them. And there's no question their knowledge of plants is of great magnitude.
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like a fascinating book. That you for sharing it.
ReplyDeleteI am not sure if I would be patient and passionate enough to read the book though I am very sure it's very interesting.
ReplyDeleteSounds like an interesting read. Thanks for sharing it.
ReplyDeleteMany thanks for sharing this book David.
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
We should definitely look closely at plants that other cultures regard highly. We might learn something new that will help others.
ReplyDeleteWe need a more open mind than we have had in the past.
DeleteI second what Miriam said and add that it would also make great paper. Those are interesting and fascinating images. I'm glad that you mentioned Kimmerer's "Braiding Sweetgrass" - that was one of the most fascinating books I ever read. Big hugs to you - Carola
ReplyDeleteDavid, kiitos kirjaesittelystä, teos vaikuttaa todella mielenkiintoiselta!
ReplyDeleteRecently my church had a guest speaker, a Native American woman who talked about the "Three Sisters" planting method, that was developed by indigenous communities over thousands of years. It's corn, climbing beans, and squash. The first provides a natural trellis for beans to climb. In turn, the beans enrich the soil with nitrogen, and the squash spreads across the ground, shading the soil, retaining moisture, and suppressing weeds. Kind of a sacred crop rotation that the conquerors tried stomping all knowledge of, but it managed to get passed down orally anyways.
ReplyDeleteThere is a bit of a revival in planting the three sisters, even amongst some non- native people.
DeleteAnother beauty You have covered so many books You must have a wealth of knowledge. Love this book I used to be a scouting leader and worked with a Maori leader who still had an incredible knowledge about plants and passed on a little to the children That was so special
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like an interesting book, David.
ReplyDeleteI wish you a very nice weekend.
All the best, Irma
A good review on the book and it looks and sounds so very interesting.
ReplyDeleteIt's a shame how the indigenous people have been held down for so many years, and Christianity is largely to blame.
ReplyDeleteTheir knowledge of plants and medicine has not been recognized until now. It's incredible that it has taken so long.
Hugs and kisses, Marit
Looks fascinating David ! Humans use plants since primordial times...To eat, to cure and to sacred ceremonies...
ReplyDeleteHope you and your family are ok...Saw the wild fires in Canada...So much areas burned...Fauna and flora are decimated...
Bises
Anna
This book looks most impressive and inspirational. The photographs would indeed inspire wonderful fabrics.
ReplyDeleteThis is a book that would really interest me. I have great respect for indigenous wisdom and do feel it has much to offer. Thanks for this review and awareness of the book.
ReplyDeleteThe authors are right on the devastating consequences for Indigenous peoples in the Americas for centuries. I think that many of us, Westerners, grew up on stories about cowboys and crooks Hollywood served up (John Wayne and his ilk). Many of those stories pitted "cowboys" against "Indians," coaxing us to side with the "brave white men," the pioneers. But we grew up, too, and our sympathies increasingly shifted toward the indigenous owners of the land and the bravery of Geronimo and others.
ReplyDeleteThat's really an interesting book.
I thought the same thing as Miriam. I hope she gives it a try with some of her quilting. That would be cool. And I bet this book is interesting. It's too bad that this important knowledge is only slowly working its way back into acceptance. You would think since Native Peoples of this new world have been living with these plants for millennia that people would want to copy their agricultural and wild plant uses. They obviously have a lot more experience with them. Hope the smoke hasn't been too horrible where you live. I saw the other day that Toronto was having some of the worse air quality in the world. hugs-Erika
ReplyDeleteAnything microscopic is always so interesting to me!
ReplyDelete...this would be interesting for this tree hugger!
ReplyDeleteHi David - this sounds a wonderful book - full of fascinating information. We are so lucky to live in this day and age, when we are allowed into these lives ... from which we can learn so much. Wisdom has been around, but for many years untapped - now at least people are looking and leading others towards this knowledge. Thanks for pointing us in this direction ... so interesting. Cheers Hilary
ReplyDeleteHello David, a facinating book and an inspiration for people who can look beyond the given information like artist. The indigenous people always had the knowlegde only now in these present days one is admitting the wrong doing to these cultures.
ReplyDeleteRegards,
Roos
A wonderful, interesting book, I hope that this knowledge about the plants of indigenous American peoples will not be lost.
ReplyDeleteHello David :)
ReplyDeleteThis book seems to be very interesting. I am pleased to read that the wisdom of the indiginous people will finally be recognised .For generations their knowledge of plants has been ignored or whats worse been seen as ignorant traditions. but by passing on their knowledge by word of mouth to the next generation they have preserved most of what they learnt about the benifits of plants. I agree that the coloured pages in this book would make beautiful material or wrapping paper.
I hope you and Miriam are coping alright with the poor air conditions. It a tragedy about the wild fires in your country.
Hugs and kisses.
Sonjia
The air quality is dreadful, Sonjia, so we are staying indoors as much as possible.
DeleteIndigenous people have a wealth of knowledge about this subject and the recognition of it is long overdue. Your review was indeed inspiring...I had to read it twice.Those patterns would also make some interesting wallpaper..Does anyone use wallpaper any longer??
ReplyDeletexxoo
I think that wallpaper made its exit with the rotary phone.
DeleteThat was a really interesting book presentation, and I hope to get my hands on it sometime. You just can't read that book, you have to thoughtfully savor it - I would guess! All the best to You!
ReplyDeleteIt really is a book to savour.
DeleteIt sounds like a wonderful book and thank you for the review. Miriam is a very talented lady. I would love to see her quilts some time.
ReplyDeleteDavid, I trust you are okay and not in the vicinity of smoke and wildfires.
ReplyDeleteWe are nowhere near the fires, Sandra, but the air quality has been pretty bad these past few days. We may get some relief tomorrow. I hope so!
DeleteCoucou my friend!🌞 ✨🙌🍀✨️🌟the pictures you've shared are captivating. And Miriam's personal touch with her observations adds a warm and endearing touch.
ReplyDeleteI wish you both a wonderful weekend and a fantastic summer vacation.🌸🌈 🌞 Gros bisous.
A wonderful and eye-opening review. Gaining a deeper understanding of these sacred plants and their historical impact is so important!
ReplyDeleteThose photos are incredibly breathtaking. Miriam is so right and if she ever does make any textile art inspired by this book, I hope you'll share it with us. I would so love to see what she creates!
ReplyDeleteThis is my first knowledge of confocal microscopy and I agree, the photos are amazing. Miriam is indeed talented and I would love to see a quilt made from the green one.
ReplyDeleteEste libro sería maravilloso para mí, me encanta. Muchos besos.
ReplyDelete