Thursday, July 23, 2026

A Few Highlights

     I have lots to blog about right now, but time is a commodity in short supply, so I am presenting here just a few recent highlights, in totally random sequence.
     On a walk a couple of weeks ago, we discovered the first nest of Indigo Bunting (Passerina cyanea) we have ever seen with the female incubating eggs.


     Even though we were as stealthy as could be, and took our pictures from a distance, the bird slipped off the nest, no doubt disturbed by our presence.


     After a half hour or so we were able to confirm that the female had returned to incubation duties and we have not divulged the location of the nest to anyone.
     It remains for us a significant highlight in our birding lives.
     I think that this is a particularly lovely shot of a Delaware Skipper (Anatrytone logan) on a coneflower.


     It is the time of year for maximum Goldenrod Leaf Beetle (Trirhabda canadensis) abundance; indeed, they seemed to be everywhere.


     These two seemed exceptionally friendly!


     False Sunflower (Heliopsis helianthoides) seems almost like an affront to this gorgeous flower.


     There is nothing false about it!
     Common Soapwort (Saponaria officinalis) has a particular delicacy, it seems to me.


     This attractive insect is a Bee Fly (family Bombyliidae), without a common name, so you will all have to learn Exoprosopa decora until it rolls off your tongue with ease!


     Mere minutes ago, my good friend Dave Collins sent me the following picture taken just this afternoon. It shows a huge Common Snapping Turtle (Chelydra serpentina) with a Spotted Sandpiper (Actitis macularius) perched on its carapace.


     How could I resist using that?

 

David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

54 comments:

  1. oh I love birds nest We had a few of them around the house Great photos from the bugs up close and that photo of the turtle and the sandpiper is a stunner

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only seen an Indigo bunting once. It was a male and he was quite handsome. So much that I remember the moment I saw him clearly even to this day. And that snapping turtle and sandpiper photo your friend sent you is pretty amazing. I've seen a few snapper head pop up in the lake to get a breath of air. I'm guessing they won't bother any of us swimming? Enjoy your days. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those snapping turtles will be happy to get as far away from you as possible, Erika.

      Delete
  3. I wonder if that spotted sandpiper knows it's on another animal or is just mistaking it for a rock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am quite sure it was just a convenient resting place, Kirk.

      Delete
  4. Coucou, David! the indigo bunting's nest is a truly special find, and i especially admire how careful you were not to disturb the birds & that incredible photo of the sandpiper perched on the snapping turtle made this post a delight , such beautiful moments summer holds! 🌿🦋🐦 🌼🐦🌸💐😊🐦💚🌷😊🌷
    🌷😊🌷 Happy weekend! besos, abrazos, muahhhs & chuiks, chuiks 😘😘😘

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did you discover that nest? They are such elusive birds. I think I may have seen two in my lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The males are not particularly hard to find, especially in spring when they are singing their heads off!

      Delete
  6. Love the pictures, especially the bunting. And that turtle with the Spotted Sandpiper - wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow The bird is so trusting that it even let you photographed the eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful series of photos, David.
    The red sun hat and the last photo are my favorites.
    I wish you a wonderful weekend.
    All the best, Irma

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely pictures David !
    This turtle has the best life !
    Have shinny weekend !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hari OM
    How special to have sighted the nest and active incubaton! A great wee interim post, David. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really did enjoy the wander through your post, which included your 'significant highlight in your birding life'. My own highlight was the Common Snapping Turtle with a Spotted Sandpiper perched on its carapace. Powerful stuff, and many thanks for the share.

    My Kind Regards David....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s a great picture, huh? Dave and Mary are coming here for coffee this morning and I am sure he will be beaming!

      Delete
  12. The highlights that nature gives like this are really amazing! I understand your rush, I also have quite a lot going on right now, but I am enjoying this time immensely! All the best to You!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ...I feel like I was back in botany and entomology classes, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad the bunting returned. And that sandpiper hitching a ride is an amazing shot.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, time goes so incredibly fast in the summer for some reason, David. It seems that in the winter time goes much slower.
    Great insects, and the coneflower is my favorite too. They have just started blooming here. The common soapwort is a beautiful flower. It doesn't grow where I live.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic photos, David. The Snapping Turtle with the Spotted Sandpiper is a beauty and it was nice that your friend shared it. A big thank you to Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi David.

    That bird that is nesting is beautiful.

    The flowers with the insects are beautiful.
    That turtle with the bird on its shell is very nice.

    Greetings from Patricia.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Goldenrod Leaf Beetle is most attractive and the Common Soapwort is so pretty. The turtle and its passenger is a prize shot.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for the wonderful post regarding birds! I love watching them and really miss them when they migrate away in the fall.
    Some of my favorites are not colorful birds but just ones that sing a lot.
    It is also a good time to go find insects!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello David :)
    A nice variety of creatures and photos., I enjoyed your post emensely. especially The shot of the Indigo Bunting in it's nest. So pleased you saw it return to incubate it's eggs. The Goldenrod Leaf Beetle and the lovely capture of the skipper on the beautiful Coneflower are delightful images, but your friend Dave hit the jackpot with his photo of large Snapping Turtle with the Spotted Sandpiper perched on it's back.. Amazing photo, thanks for sharing David.
    Hugs and kisses
    Sonjia.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So glad that you have so much to blog about..I have so little that you kind of make up for it!! Your Indigo Bunting was a real find..I don't believe I have ever seen one..Thanks for sharing....That's a big "Snapper"..I'll bet he could do some damage!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a wonderful surprise to see the nesting Indigo Bunting!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I was delighted to see the nesting Indigo Bunting. Always enjoyable to see your photos and please thank David for the snapping turtle accommodating the Spotted Sandpiper.

    ReplyDelete
  24. My goodness! A bird on a snapping turtle is a surprise!

    I’m glad the indigo bunting came back to the nest.

    ReplyDelete
  25. How wonderful to have spotted an Indigo Bunting nest! It's fun for me to imagine that's the same female bird who passed through here last spring. And, oh my! Look at that snapping turtle. We've been sharing reptiles with kids this week. I should save your photo to share with kids again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a massive turtle, good photo of all too.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Reminded of boyhood days when I went peeping into birds' nests and the nestlings in due course of time.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wonderful selection of pictures. Ms Bunting is a particular treat. And the last, even though you didn't take it, is very fine.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm so glad mama came back to her nest. Those are wonderful photos of the bird and eggs. So many interesting photos to day. But you know my favorite is the turtle. That is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh my gosh, that last picture looks like something straight from a Sci-Fi scene. It took me a moment to make out the turtle he blended so well. And your first picture is a joy. You and Miriam have a grand day.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Kiitos postauksestasi David. Pesälöytö ja kaikkea muuta taas nähtiin. Hienosti toimitte pesän kanssa, sillä hautovat linnut häiriintyvät nopeasti.

    ReplyDelete
  32. A short but attractive post David.
    Greetings, Kees

    ReplyDelete
  33. Such beautiful observations, and thank you for taking such care not to disturb the nesting bunting. The butterfly photo is gorgeous too!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Beautiful colours in your photos. And lovely image of the turtle with a Sandpiper on top.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Silly bird! LOVE love the snapping turtle shot. The nest is so precious and I am glad you kept her a secret and that she returned to duty right away.. the world is full of beauty, even the bee. We have been blessed with rain for a week and this morning the world was glowing with joy and happiness. the clouds were full of colors and puffy and the grass and trees were glow green in color. Amazing what the rain does to the world

    ReplyDelete
  36. You're right about Dave's photo but I also love your nest. I hope they all grow and thrive!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Dear David,

    Sometimes the small highlights are the most memorable ones, and this post is full of them.

    I especially admired the care you took with the Indigo Bunting's nest. Observing such a special moment while making sure the bird could return safely says a great deal about your respect for wildlife.

    The turtle carrying the Spotted Sandpiper made me smile. Nature always seems able to surprise us with unexpected little scenes like this.

    Thank you for sharing these wonderful moments. They remind us that we don't always need spectacular events to appreciate the beauty of the natural world.

    Warm regards,
    Anette

    ReplyDelete
  38. Lovely to see all of these photographs and nice of your good friend Dave to send you that last one.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  39. Estos reportajes me encantan. Son pura naturaleza. Abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh it has been a long time since I have seen an Indigo Bunting. We used to see them when we were walking in the state park that was close to our lake house. Just one more thing I miss about being by the lake ... so much nature there. And here, the farmer next store sold his land to a developer and yes, of course, we have houses being built all around us. Any access to nature will require my finding a good place to walk in the Forest Preserves. So, how have you been ... it seems like it has been awhile since we shared a moment with each other. I have some stress I am dealing with as my daughter is not doing well ... my art and my blog are my salvation. Oh and not to forget ... I love the turtle with the Sandpiper on his back, what a hoot 😍 Be well, my friend ...

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi David,
    You can find subjects everywhere; maybe you’ll get photos of the chicks later—that would be nice. The turtle and your guest are both just chilling ;-))
    Best regards, Frank

    ReplyDelete
  42. A few highlights. But so amazing. That last photo is a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hallo David,

    Wat super om zo'n zeldzame vogel als de indigo gors te vinden te te kunnen fotograferen. Jammer dat ze van het nest af vloog, maar het stelt me gerust dat je gebleven bent totdat je wist dat de vogel weer terugkeerde op het nest. Het is een risico om vogels op het nest te fotograferen, je kunt ze onbewust en ook ongewild verstoren en dat zou bij zo'n soort natuurlijk helemaal jammer zijn. Die foto van het dikkopje op de zonnehoed is absoluut een hele fraaie, daar mag je trots op zijn. Verder een hele bijzondere plaat van het steltlopertje op de schildpad. Het zijn zeker prachtige hoogtepunten David.

    Groeten,
    Ad

    ReplyDelete
  44. Fascinating insects and it would be amazing to see a wild turtle.
    The flower photos are wonderful as well. I have planted coneflowers near our front door to attract butterflies and bees, and common soapwort for the lovely scent. Your photo of the Saponaria is particularly pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I have never seen an Indigo Bunting - what a beautiful bird. Seeing the female on the nest understandably is a highlight - it would have been one for me as well. The image of the Snapping Turtle with the Spotted Sandpiper is fantastic, such an amazing shot. Big big hugs - Carola

    ReplyDelete
  46. Hi David,
    I have ta lot of blogs to catch up on...I won't forget it, because I am curious...
    Again You posted a spectaculair serie of images of cute birds, insects and flowers. The dark one looks familiar I have one ub the garden with a Dutch name! : Muurrouwzwever (Anthrax anthrax) not the same insect but also nice.. Very funny is the turtle with the Spotted Sandpiper.
    Give my regards to Miriam,
    Big hug Maria

    ReplyDelete
  47. Na naszych polskich forach o ptakach nie pokazujemy gniazd i piskląt. Taki zwyczaj, żeby nikogo nie nakłaniać do niepokojenia ptaków w czasie lęgów.

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers