21 May, 2026
Miriam had business to take care of in Zurich, ON so we decided to combine that with a visit to Pinery Provincial Park.
On the way we spotted several White-tailed Deer (Odocoileus virgianus) just off the highway.
The picture gives the impression that they are in an enclosure, but the forested area was fenced off alongside the road to ensure that they could not venture out, endangering both themselves and the drivers of the vehicles whizzing by.
We started our visit at the Visitor Centre, as much as anything to use the facilities, but it was closed for a training session. We wandered round outside, however.
Eastern Towhee (Pipilo erythrophthalmus) is reasonably common in southern Ontario, but often difficult to spot due to its skulking habits.
Where there are bird feeders there are Common Raccoons (Protyon lotor).
They are undeniably attractive animals but are destructive around bird feeders, and the amount of damage they can cause if they get into your attic is the stuff of nightmares.
This plant is also commonly called Plains Puccoon or Carolina Gromwell - probably other names too - highlighting the value of the scientific name to avoid confusion.
There is easy access to Lake Huron from many areas of the park.
Star-flowered Lily-of-the-Valley (Maianthemum stellatum) is delicate and lovely, a great favourite of mine.
It's probably a safe bet that Eastern Tent Caterpillar Moth (Malacosoma americana) is not a favourite of many!
Tufted Titmouse (Baeolophus bicolor) appears to be undergoing a range expansion in Ontario, but a breeding population has been present at The Pinery for many years.
American Red Squirrel (Tamiasciurus hudsonicus) is feisty and argumentative, but undeniably captivating.
It was a good day for butterflies, some of which actually landed and permitted a picture! Here is a Sleepy Duskywing (Erynnis brizo).
Large White Trilliums (Trillium grandiflorum) sometimes take on a distinct pinkish hue, rendering them perhaps even more beautiful than in their usual white.
Two-spotted Bumble Bee (Bombus bimaculatus) is a familiar pollinator, foraging on a range of flowers and trees. They are reliant on spring ephemerals early in the season when they are one of the first bees to emerge.
A female Belted Kingfisher (Megaceryle alcyon) was perched above the Ausable River, directly across from where we were standing.
An Eastern Kingbird (Tyrannus tyrannus) had claimed a spot where insects were abundant and was feeding well.
Turkey Vultures (Cathartes aura) scanned from on high, sailing effortlessly on the wind, searching for their ready-to-eat menu.
An Eastern Phoebe (Sayornis phoebe) was equally adept at flycatching as the Eastern Kingbird seen above.
Buttercups (genus Ranunculus)
An ice cream seemed well earned.

Those caterpillars give me goosebumps :-/// Always happy to see blue jay!
ReplyDelete...you certainly earned your ice cream cones!
ReplyDeleteWow, sounds like you had a great time. I would like to comment on every photo but ..... I must say the Belted Kingfisher really caught my eye. The heat here is even too much for us at present. Thanks goodness for a thick walled stone house that keeps it under 30C inside. I put the thermometer in the shade outside on the window sill just now. It did not quite make 50C Phew. Bisous mon ami, Diane
ReplyDeleteThat kind of heat seems lethal, Diane. Give me a cold winter’s day any time. Bisous - David
DeleteA splendid nature walk you took us on and what better than to finish the day with ice-cream.
ReplyDeleteHallo David,
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful day in nature! As always, I am amazed by the diversity you encounter on a single outing. Deer, turtles, butterflies, kingfishers, orioles, herons and so many wildflowers – every one of your posts feels like a guided walk through a living field guide.
I was especially charmed by the White-tailed Deer at the beginning of your report. They have such grace and elegance. But I must admit that the turtles basking together on the log and the little American Red Squirrel also won my heart.
What I appreciate most about your writing is that you never simply identify species. You tell their stories. The reader learns something, but at the same time feels your affection and respect for every living creature, whether it is a colourful butterfly, a humble sparrow or even a much-maligned caterpillar.
Your final photograph of the ice cream made me smile. After a hot day of hiking, sweating, swatting insects and exploring, I think it was more than deserved. Sometimes a little happiness is worth far more than nutritional perfection!
Thank you for taking us along on another memorable journey through one of Canada's beautiful natural treasures.
Warm regards,
Anette
Anette, I never fail to be impressed by the lovely comments you leave, and I am very appreciative. Warm regards to you, too. David
DeleteWhen we first moved here many years ago, white-tailed deer were commonly seen in the neighborhood and even in our yard, but, of course, as more and more people have moved in, they have been pushed back farther into the forest. I have to say in some ways that the deer were preferable as neighbors! Thanks (Miriam?) for all the wonderful pictures as usual.
ReplyDeleteRight now we are vacationing in Victoria, BC and deer are common in gardens. This morning one was nibbling on foliage across the street from my sister-in-law’s condo where we are staying.
DeleteWhat a great time you had at the park. I especially loved seeing the birds you have there that we do not have here, but it's also nice to see other bird species that we both have.
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful to combine business with pleasure. This is just the loveliest looking park and you certainly maxed out your time with wonderful sightings. You ventured far from home for this one and it looks like it was well worth the drive. (And the gas!)
ReplyDeleteQuite a beautiful display of nature. Like the cute little blue jay and the turtles all lined up.
ReplyDeleteI would agree that your nature walk deserved an ice cream treat.
ReplyDeleteHari Om
ReplyDeleteLovely to visit a less-known walking space to your usual... discovering both familiar and new things, everything fresh for being seen in different context. YAM xx
A lovely spot and worth the stop.
ReplyDeletePhotos from Vancouver coming soon?
It will be a while, Marcia. We don’t return home until the end of the month.
DeleteWhat a good day you had sweating and bushwhacking. It looks like you had a successful viewing day. And an ice cream is a great way to wrap it up. I wonder why ice cream is one of the worst food you can it. Must be all the sugar in it, but you have to live too. Hope your trip is going well. hugs-Erika
ReplyDeleteIt’s probably very high in saturated fat, too.
DeleteA wonderful trip and to take in nature whilst there for business.
ReplyDeleteBirds, fish, butterflies and other creature are lovely, that water is so clear where the fish is.
Icecream, once in while won't hurt! Go for it, we only live once.
As you say, we only live once, but good health helps us to live well.
DeleteBeautiful series of photos of your outing in nature, David.
ReplyDeletePhotos 22, 23, 24, 26, 32, and 46 are my favorites this time.
All the best, Irma
Once in a while it's so heavenly to consume one of the twenty worse foods one can eat. Pinery Provincial Park is so delightful and lovely to see through your eyes.
ReplyDeleteDavid this is a stunning place to visit. So many different birds, flowers and flying beauties. However, my favorite shot was the turtles. I find them fascinating. We don't have them here, so thanks for showing them today.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely post, David. I enjoyed all the photos. Buttercup looks very similar to the one who lives here. The Blue Jays and the Belted Kingfisher are both very beautiful. On the island where my son has a cabin, there are Canada geese. They live there all year round. They are beautiful birds too. The pink trillium is high on my wish list!
ReplyDeleteHugs and kisses, Marit
Those are some beautiful photographs of birds. Well done! Great captures.
ReplyDeleteIs ice cream really that bad? Sure it contains fats and sugar, but so does most processed food. I mean it should not be that bad in moderation. Well, if you only eat ice cream a couple times a year, I doubt it can do any damage at all.
Look at those turtles. So cute. I love watching deer. And I'm so glad they put that fence up. We've got some wildlife crossings in NC, but I'd sure like to see more. Hope your day is special. Cheers,
ReplyDeleteThat was a very rewarding trip with a refreshing prize at the end.
ReplyDeleteCombining business with pleasure is a good thing, especially when there's ice cream at the end!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful fauna and flora David !
ReplyDeleteI visit Zurich once...in Switzerland ;)
Merci de partager ces promendades !
Bisous
Anna
Absolutely amazing observations and great photos. Thank you, master.
ReplyDeleteA lovely walk with wonderful sightings.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed seeing your photographs and those ice-creams did look tasty :)
All the best Jan
The photo of the Great blue heron just took my breath away.
ReplyDeletePoor lousewort, such an ugly name for a plant that I think is quite pretty!
Just today I took a walk in the modest metropark close to where I live and saw a deer standing along the walkway staring at me. I had no intention to do anything but just walk on by, but, apparently not wanting to take any chances, it ran off as I got too close anyway
ReplyDeleteI am presently on Vancouver Island and the deer here are literally common in suburban neighbourhoods. People just walk by them as though they are pet dogs on the lawn.
DeleteDavid, I like your new blog title. Miriam and you look great. Raccoons may be cute, but they're very harmful animals. They can get into anything. Jays are beautiful and can repeat words. I had a jay in my garden that meowed like a cat.
ReplyDeletePrachtig park dat jullie bezochten David.
ReplyDeleteJe laat ons fijn mee genieten met de mooie foto's.
Groetjes Tinie
So pretty photoes all done by you.Love that little grey tit with a punk hair🐦
ReplyDeleteThose turtles on the log... wow! That must have been an amazing sight.
ReplyDeleteInterest in the Belted Kingfisher, one of which visited my area of the UK last year, when it put in an appearance and stayed a few weeks in North West Lancashire.
ReplyDeleteOne thing for sure, you certainly have the knowledge to ID all you see and observe it seems, flora and fauna alike. Admiration and much respect David.
Regards....Pete.
That lookout pic is just breathtaking. Makes me want to be there.
ReplyDeleteDavid, such a wonderful post full with beautiful photos (thanks to Miriam?). It is so interesting to see "other versions" (for lack of the appropiate expression) of the birds that we have here. I love the image of the Belted Kingfisher - I hear them at our lake, but I only seldom see them, and then I'm not fast enough to take a picture of them (or don't have my camera with me). I also like the butterflies - those Duskywings are lovely. Well - everything on your walk is just lovely, and the ice cream was well deserved at the end. I can think of way worse food than a delicious ice cream on a hot day. Big hugs - Carola
ReplyDeleteMost of the pictures are Miriam’s but a few are mine, Carola.
DeleteI thought for a moment you were in Switserland lol but Canada has apparently a Zurich as well And what a beautiful one Love the area which has bush, beech and lake with deer beautiful birds and love the little turtles Would love to walk there
Delete🌈🌈🌸🪷🌺🍦🦋🌼🌺🦋🌈🌈😊🍦
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful walk through nature! i can feel the life of the park in every deer, bird and the lake. Those Pinery trails are precious. It's a pleasure to accompany you on this walk, and I'm symbolically sending a little bit of our intense cold ❄️❄️❄️🥶 🥶 Gros bisous for Miriam and for you 😘😘😘
The raccoon is very cute!
ReplyDeleteJak przeczytałam Zurich, to ucieszyłam się, że w Szwajcarii jesteście. Dopiero potem doczytałam, że to w Kanadzie. Piękny spacer po rezerwacie. Ptaki i przyroda dopisały. Fajnie, że podzieliłeś się tymi wrażeniami. Pozdrawiam gorąco z gorącej Polski.
ReplyDeleteI disagree that ice cream is one of the worst foods. Dairy fat has been shown to have health benefits. Love your photos and I appreciate the identifications because I always learn something.
ReplyDeleteI put some answers on my post of collages. The cute photo of the children on the stoop is one I took my daughter Marie and some of her neighborhood friends. This was in Alexandria, Virginia, and (OMG!) it was about 50 years ago.
Looks like a tranquil adventure.
ReplyDeleteIce cream might be one of the worst foods you can eat, but it's also one of the best.
Hello David, what a wonderful place, and what a lot of different birds, butterflies and animals are there to be seen. Just amazing. The photos are great and love the details that are shown. That Ice cream looks delicieuse. I never skip the oppertunaty to have one. Why deny yourself a guilty pleasure :)
ReplyDeleteWith love from Belgium,
Roos
I forgot to mention; enjoy your stay on Vancouver Island.
DeleteHola, David.
ReplyDeleteLos mapaches tienen mala fama, ¡cuidado con ese helado!
No se actualizan tus entradas he venido a buscarte.
Te invito también a pasear por mi espacio (siguen sin actualizarse mis entradas)
Un abrazo y feliz fin de semana.
Wonderful photos of mammals, birds and insects... and especially of beautiful plants. The great variety of birds you can see (and excellently photograph) where you live keeps amazing me.
ReplyDeleteLike some commenters before, I smiled seeing the photo of the ice creams. We have an ice cream machine at home and we try to make ice cream with as little sugar and fat and as much fresh berries and fruit we can. In general, Finns eat ice cream all year round and are the happiest people in the world. ;)
Have a pleasant weekend, David!
I always enjoy seeing all the photos of your adventures. We have white tailed deer here and right now we are seeing a lot of them all over our neighborhoods right now. They come to eat our flowers and leave poop all over our yards.The heron is grand looking. Like you, I give in to ice cream a few tines a year.
ReplyDeleteRight now I am vacationing in British Columbia, and the local Black-tailed Deer treat residential gardens as their own. Hardly surprising really; it was formerly their territory and we have built on it and provided a smorgasbord for them.
DeleteThe birds and other animals you show us are wonderful, but I still prefer the plants, this time the Trillium and Geranium are particularly interesting. And as for ice cream: sometimes we can eat what makes us happy but isn't very healthy.
ReplyDeleteI agree the plant is not aptly named, but that oh so handsome and cute tufted titmouse is. so many beautiful birds in this lovely forest. You so many wonderful places to wander. I would like to wander with you in the place where the birds sit on the hands and eat from the palms... our back yard still has the ducks, but in the past 3 days, I have spotted a very large raccoon one day and a small one the next day and not at the usual time of middle of the night but in bright day at 7 am, they are mating and wow what a sound that is... we also have a red ear slider turtle that has taken up residence in the duck pond/pool and I read up to see if he can get out, he has been there for days, and found he can not without assistance, I can't scoop him out he drives when he sees me and I now have a towel hanging off the ladder in the deep in for it to climb up and have put a broken bowl of a concrete bird bath on the top step. Research said to build it a way to get out. Now he has to ways to escape. I fret over the chorine I put in harming it. we also have black racer snakes, always have, they are so beautiful and FAST
ReplyDeleteHello David,
ReplyDeletetruly another blog full of beautiful birds, and I even spot a raccoon myself.
The deer are always wonderful to see. I see the sea, sand, beautiful flowers, and unfortunately also many oak processionary caterpillars. Funny those turtles lined up between the leaves hehe.....
Lots of beautiful butterflies and insects and even fish.
I wish you all a very nice and peaceful weekend.
Warm regards, Helma
Sweating, swatting, and bushwhacking absolutely earns you an ice cream cone, regardless of what the health charts say! The diversity of flora and fauna you managed to capture is amazing
ReplyDeleteHallo David,
ReplyDeleteEen prachtig, uitgebreid blog met veel soorten waarvan ik er enkele ook heel graag had willen fotograferen. Zo is daar b.v. de kuifmees op nr. 22 en ook de gordelijsvogel op nr. 32. Het valt overigens op dat veel in Amerika voorkomende soorten soms erg lijken op hun Europese soortgenoten, weliswaar een iets andere variant, maar je kunt er toch duidelijk de familieband uithalen. Het lijkt me een prachtig park met een gezonde ecostructuur zo te zien ook aan het kraakheldere water waar de vis in zwemt. V.w.b. de wasbeer, daar ben ik het volledig mee eens, hij vernietigt veel met name vogels en hij rukt hier in Nederland vanuit Duitsland helaas ook steeds verder op. Tenslotte, op z'n tijd heerlijk genieten van een ijsje, een fijne afsluiter van een geslaagde dag.
Groeten,
Ad
Tus paseos me gustan mucho, siempre disfruto con todo lo que nos muestras. Te dejo abrazos fuertes para ti y Miriam.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you had a wonderful time, David!
ReplyDeleteThat ice cream cone was certainly worth it. I cannot wait for our next excursion for I have something quite interesting to tell you.
~Amelia
Hi, Amelia: We will be leaving Victoria, BC today and heading home. I will contact the parents to organize a July excursion. I am looking forward to seeing you all again and I am anxious to hear what you have to tell me. Stay cool! David
Delete