06 June, 2026
It's always a great pleasure to visit this location, a generous gift of both land and capital from a civic-minded donor.
Philadelphia Fleabane (Erigeron philadelphicus), as is to be expected at this time of year, was prolific.
A male Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia) was singing joyfully from atop Common Teasel (Dipsacus fullonum).
Teasel was originally introduced to North America to attach to spindles to card wool, but has become an important winter food source for finches.
Box Elder (Acer negundo)
It has been invaded by grasses and weedy plants and is in sore need of maintenance to continue to be suitable for egg-laying turtles.
How wonderfully green are these Arrowheads (genus Sagittaria).
I suspect that this American Robin (Turdus migratorius) is finding lots of invertebrate prey in the muck.
A Killdeer (Charadrius vociferus) no doubt finds the wetland a perfect home.
Canada Geese (Branta canadensis) are devoted parents, but nevertheless lose many of their young to predators.
Two rapidly growing youngsters remain from this brood. The bigger they become the less they are subject to attack.
If my memory serves me well this was our first Eastern Tailed-Blue (Cupido comyntas) of the season.
Guelder-Rose (Viburnum opulus) seems to be having a good year.
These American White Waterlilies (Nymphaea odorata) filled us with wonder and delight.
Red-winged Blackbirds (Agelaius phoeniceus) have claimed this wetland as their own.
We did not see as many dragonflies and damselflies as we thought we might, but this Eastern Forktail (Ischnura verticalis) posed nicely for us.
Actually, this plant challenges the very nature of what constitutes an invasive organism. It was brought here in the seventeenth century, so it seems a reasonable conclusion that after four centuries it has become part of the native flora.
Here is another Eastern Kingbird.
Blow Flies (family Calliphoridae) and Water Striders (subgenus Gerris) were feasting on this dead fish.
There were many Turkey Vultures (Cathartes aura) overhead and I am sure that as the odours from the decaying carcass intensify they will make short work of what remains.
Many nest boxes have been installed throughout the wetland, but they seem to have been expropriated exclusively by House Sparrows (Passer domesticus).
We saw no evidence of Tree Swallows (Tachycineta bicolor) or House Wrens (Troglodytes aedon); the conquest of the sparrows seems complete.
As we were leaving we saw a couple of boys fishing.
We inquired whether they were getting many bites, and were told that they were not. However, one boy cheerfully remarked, "It's all about the fun, right?"
Indeed it is!
Hallo David,
ReplyDeleteWhat a delightful walk through the wetlands! I always enjoy your bird reports, but this time I was especially drawn to the plants and flowers.
The Philadelphia Fleabane immediately caught my attention. It grows here too, often on rough ground and old rubble sites, and I sometimes bring a few stems home for a vase. Its flowers may be small, but when many bloom together they create a remarkable display.
I was also fascinated by your comments about teasel. It grows abundantly in my area, yet I had never really considered how important it can be as a winter food source for finches. It is always wonderful when a plant that appears rather ordinary at first glance turns out to play such an important ecological role.
The Dame’s Rocket was another interesting feature. I grow it in my garden, although it behaves much more politely here than in your part of the world and certainly does not seem eager to take over! Its evening fragrance makes it a welcome guest each year.
And, of course, the water lilies were magnificent. Looking at those photographs, it is easy to understand why Monet became so captivated by them. They have a quiet elegance that never fails to enchant.
I smiled at the young angler’s comment at the end. Sometimes that simple wisdom says it all. Not every outing needs a great catch or a rare bird. Often the joy is simply in being there.
Warm regards,
Anette
I wish you could be here to take a walk with us, Anette.
DeleteThe pair of mallards looks very relaxed. Yes, fishing is all about the fun!
ReplyDeleteThere’s an element of truth to that when we go birding, too. Sometimes, especially in the summer, it is slow, but there is still great pleasure in being outside, and, of course, there are insects, wildflowers, aquatic life etc to grab one’s attention. It is never dull.
DeleteBeautiful water lily!
ReplyDeleteMy husband, like these guys, often fished when he was young, and now he fishes from a boat, so we often eat fresh fish from our blue-green Kupa River.
Saw lots of Philadelphia Fleabane on our daily walk, but of course I didn't know the name. So thank you, David. Love red-winged blackbirds!
ReplyDeleteI am so happy every time you show so many different flowers. Water lilies are very beautiful, and Monet was so good at painting them. There are fewer Passer domesticus here in Norway. I miss them where I live now.
ReplyDeleteHugs and kisses, Marit
What a wonderful place to visit and as always great photos. Those kids have got it right, it is all about the fun. We are cooking over here, I hope you are a bit cooler!! Bisous mon ami xox Diane
ReplyDeleteThe reports we read of the heatwave in Europe are very disturbing. This is almost certainly the new norm and may be expected year after year. Parts of the planet are going to become uninhabitable.
DeleteIts crazy and we have been told not to expect much different in July. The garden looks like a fire has gone through it! Next weekend we will be back at 37, 38C, Today has been our coldest day for 3 weeks, and it was still 28C in our lounge which is the coldest room in the house!
DeleteHari OM
ReplyDeleteWhat glory you bring us yet again, David... and the young fellow's attitude is to be admired! YAM xx
Lovely place to visit and I enjoyed your photographs.
ReplyDeleteThe water Lily is beautiful.
I think the boys had it right when they said " Yes, fishing is all about the fun!"
All the best Jan
Going fishin' does sound like fun! Love all the wildflowers you saw and birds trying to hide here and there. You had a great outing! I want to go! Hugs, Diane
ReplyDeleteCome on up, Diane, and we’ll take you out.
DeleteIt really is fascinating to join you on your adventures. You are certainly knowledgable and take excellent photos. Looks like a wonderful place to visit.
ReplyDeleteThat weed in the water looks like it could be like elodea , which is one of those plants people used to be able to buy for their fish tanks. Then they dumped out the tanks and the plant made its way into water. I like the photo with the teasels, and fleabane has such interesting petals. I wonder where it got its name. It looks like you had a super walk that day. Have a super rest of your weekend. hugs-Erika
ReplyDeleteLove the fleabane. Wonderful little plant. And the Claude Monet-like water lilies. The water lilies in my little pond are blooming now and they always make me think of Monet. And those goslings are adorable as all goslings are.
ReplyDeleteThanks for taking us with on your walk. Such pretty flowers nature gives us David and the birds and all a delight to see. Gorgeous waterlily.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful series of photos from your walk, David.
ReplyDeleteThe Canada geese and the water lilies are my favorites this time.
I wish you a lovely Sunday.
All the best, Irma
Beautiful ! Place and pictures !
ReplyDeleteAll about the fun ;)
And beauty !
Merci, bisous et bonne semaine !
Anna
Once again, I’m in awe of your nature photographs.
ReplyDeleteEspecially the Eastern Forktail. Never seen before.
Mooi om de gelderse roos te zien David.
ReplyDeleteDit doet mij denken aan de provincie waar ik woon (Gelderland ;-))
Het vliegenkruid lijkt erg op de madeliefjes die we hier hebben,
ook wel meizoentjes genoemd.
Mooi ook de insecten en de vogels die je spotte.
Groetjes Tinie
The fishing boys' comment was most accurate. Being out in such a beautiful environment, for whatever reason, must surely be fun and fulfilling.
ReplyDeleteI often wonder how long it must be before invasive species are accepted as native.
Even in today’s world of iPhones and other forms of technology to distract kids, a couple of boys fishing on a warm summer’s day seems about as classic as it gets.
DeleteAnother lovely walk showing us nature's jewels.
ReplyDeleteRanunculous is the name of a popular knitting pattern. I've never knit it, but many people love it. The original is for a pullover but I've seen many variations, including cardigans. Now I know what inspired the pattern. :-)
ReplyDeleteThat looks like a wonderful trek.
ReplyDeleteHello David :)
ReplyDeleteLovely "Header" picture. :) and I enjoyed your walk in a glorious wetland preserve full of wild plants, birds, and insects and a wholesome picture of the young boys fishing.
Hugs and kisses
Sonjia.
Another wondrous place to visit with floral, insect and bird delights. Wasn't that grand someone donated the land and capital? You and Miriam enjoy your Sunday, David:)
ReplyDelete...Spittle Bugs got their name appropriately!
ReplyDeleteThey do, Tom,
DeleteHello, hello DAvid! that wetland is gorgeous; everything is so vibrant in summer. I loved the diversity of life you found, and those water lilies truly exude a special kind of calm.
ReplyDelete"The important thing is to have fun, right?" the children said :) of course! that's worth so much more than any fish caught. Beautiful post about the little joys of summer. Hugs, have a great start to the week, and... gros bisous!
Never enough time or space to get comprehensive about your outings David, but it's such pleasure to read through and view your illustrations with instant ID of all and sundry. You are quite right about the heatwave in Europe, and I respect your comment that over time the will need to adjust or be doomed...Realism not pessimism.
ReplyDeleteDavid, I have been seeing some similar sights along our newly finished riverwalk, lots of fleabane, I was curious as to why it was associated with the city of Philadelphia. There's also a lot of white and yellow water lilies in the Nashua River. Also a lot of red-wined blackbirds flying in and around the water plants. And, we also have quite a number of mallards which have seemed to outnumber the Canada geese in recent weeks.I've been taking photos on my daily walks and eventually will do a post.
ReplyDeleteI felt a little sick when I saw that spit! :D Luckily, it was made by lovely cercopoids, not some teenagers marking their territory! Phew! :D
ReplyDeleteA really lovely place! I love the photo of the singing red-winged blackbird!
That young boy sounded older beyond his years. Thank you for taking us on another lovely nature walk. A splendid series!
ReplyDeleteI suspect he is echoing his parents, but good for him for expressing the sentiment.
Deletebonjour tes photos sont superbes , belle page belle nature merci pour ta visite , il fait encore bien chaud et je pense que ont vas avoir un été très chaud je te souhaite un bon Mardi
ReplyDeleteOh, I'm sure Canada Geese are devoted parents. Dring a stroll through the park, I walked by an adult goose and several young'uns. The adult hissed at me as if to say, "Don't go anywhere near my children!" And I wasn't about to!
ReplyDeleteGracias David por este paseo, ha sido un placer. Ahora salimos menos por el tremendo calor. Por la noche es cuando mejor se está Por eso me ha gustado tanto ver tanta naturaleza. Me ha gustado ver los reflejos en el agua, el tordo d ealas rojas y los criós pescando.
ReplyDeleteBuena semana.
Un abrazo.
That Eastern Kingbird is an elegant little bird.
ReplyDeleteGreat looking reserve - but you are right, just leaving things alone does not always mean the biological value of those places will be preserved. I tend to recall much of my time as a warden was spent cutting stuff down!
ReplyDeleteHope all is well. Stewart M - Walkerville - Victoria
It's lovely that the boys are taking their fishing success with such good humor, dear David 😊. I enjoyed hiking with you again (okay, just virtually) and was especially delighted by some of the sightings. The male Song Sparrow on the Common Teasel, for example, is a particularly beautiful sight, and I think that since the plant was introduced to North America as an important winter food source for finches, its introduction isn't so bad. The American White Waterlilies are truly a wonderful, Monet-esque sight! I hope—or rather, I'm sure!—that you and Miriam continue to enjoy spending time in nature!
ReplyDeleteAll the best from Austria 🤗.
Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2026/06/reisebericht-2025-von-ahornblattern-und.html
Fabulous pictures as always! Well except for the dead fish, that made me cringe a bit, lol. Killdeer is most unusual looking. I had to look twice before I saw it, it really blended in. Thought of you while I was out walking a few weeks ago in Williamsburg. Hubby was off golfing and I was walking a trail and had Pileated Woodpecker fly right in front of me from one tree to another. I tried quick to pull out my phone to get a picture, but just as I got ready it flew away. I was so excited to see it, and sad I didn't get a picture. Never saw one before.
ReplyDeleteSandy's Space
Congratulations on your Pileated Woodpecker, Sandy, always a great sighting.
DeleteFunny, but I never think of places away from the coasts as having wetlands. I suspect that most of the Houston area was submerged at one time or another over the last hundred years. I'm at a high elevation at 40 feet above sea water. lol Most of our refuges here are mostly wetlands.
ReplyDeleteWhat a delightful walk! Thank you very much for sharing it. It always surprises me how many plants and animals that are common here have become invasive species in your area. How sad is that.
ReplyDeleteWhen I saw the picture of the children fishing I thought they might have been annoyed by the mosquitos and then I read your comment on just that exact situation, it made me smile. Have a lovely day.
The reference to bites refers to the fish biting on their hook, Guillermo, not mosquitos biting. Actually there was a breeze that day and that kept the biting insects at bay.
DeleteOh, right haha. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
DeleteWhat a rich and varied visit to the wetlands, David. From pollinators on the fleabane to the kingbird’s reliable perch, the devoted geese, the robin in the muck, and those beautiful white waterlilies, you captured the whole place alive with summer. I especially liked the boy’s comment at the end: “It’s all about the fun, right?” A perfect reminder of why we go out into nature in the first place.
ReplyDeleteBefore I go, I would like to leave you with a link (copy & paste) to a YouTube I think you will enjoy. And a very Happy Canada Day to you and yours!
https://youtu.be/zwDvF0NtgdU?si=olTLxDaF6NDySBT6
John
PS Thank you for your kind comment on my Eagles Fly post.
Thank you, John, for this stirring rendition on our national anthem. “Glorious and free” holds a special meaning these days. 🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
DeleteAmazing wildlife photoes David.And the header is just beautiful of you two wonderful people.I am wondering is it such a warm place that it is a habitat for turtles?in Canada?Wow!!Interesting!Wish you and dear ones a happy July💖
ReplyDeleteTurtles are quite common here, Anita.
DeleteThe wetlands offer a nice and unique view of nature. Thanks for sharing, David.
ReplyDeleteIncredible photos. Nature at its best.
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure how I missed this David. What a lovely walk this was and your photos, as always are smashing.
ReplyDeleteSiempre es un placer para mí pasar por tu blog. Has hecho un reportaje precioso. Abrazos.
ReplyDeleteWhen I see all this beauty of the wetlands I can hardly wait to finally be able to get out in nature again. Hopefully soon since I finally have found a good PT and am optimistic that in a few weeks I will be able to take longer walks again. Until then I will delight in your beautiful photos (and the birds and wildlife in my garden). Big big hugs - Carola
ReplyDeleteIt’s always a pleasure to tag along on your walks. Thank you for sharing!
ReplyDeleteThe boys remind me of my daddy. He would stand/sit in a static row boat, or on the edge of the water like this, and hold that line for HOURS. Bored to tears, because I get upset when the fish are hooked in the mouth, I was lay on a blanket and read myself into another place,. The places he fishes were HOT, and nothing to look at.. unlike where you took all the photos.
ReplyDeleteI would be happy with a camera while the boys fish.
You said the purpose of the plant was to card wool, now I am pondering what is the purpose a spittlebug. UGH... I assume the spit protects them, and it is quite amazing, but still will ponder what they add to our planet and what is there JOB... Loved all the photos as I always do
Such a lovely, detailed walk through the wetlands. I really enjoyed all the nature observations, and it made me think how much I appreciate green, water-filled places — especially living in Israel where things can feel so hot and dry!
ReplyDeleteLovely collection of 'familiars'.
ReplyDeleteLove fragrant and pretty Dames Rocket. Haven't seen any around up here, but it used to be profuse on rough, disturbed sites around Lindsay.