Saturday, May 25, 2024

Book Review - The Lives of Spiders: A Natural History of the World's Spiders - Princeton University Press


      As I begin this review a small Common House Spider is scurrying across my desk and it seems serendipitous that s/he and I should meet this morning. Perhaps it is to celebrate another winner in the PUP 'Lives of" series of books, this one being no less spectacular and packed with information, and glorious images, than those that have gone before.
     I was not familiar with Ximena Nelson, but following on works by Sarah Rose and Helen Smith, one cannot but applaud the contribution of woman scientists to the literature on spiders. 


     Nelson has produced a splendid work from every angle. When you have finished this book you will really have a full understanding of arachnids and their world, and you will marvel at the jaw-dropping diversity of species.
     There is just so much information packed into these pages. If you have seen spider webs (and who hasn't?) it's reasonable to conclude that web design is geared to the lifestyle of the spider, but it may come as a revelation that different kinds of silk serve different purposes. Myths are dispelled about the severity of spider bites and the effect of venom on humans. While there are a few species that are capable of causing serious injuries, even death on rare occasions, it is a statistically remote possibility that you will ever be injured by a spider. Spider sex is a lesson in cautionary behaviour we might all do well to emulate!


     Many spiders are beneficial to humans, consuming insects that eat our crops and pillage our gardens.


     And spiders are intelligent - not in a trifling way, but in ways previously not recognized in arthropods, and in some aspects rivalling human capabilities. Permit me to quote (page 202) - "Knowledge of spider behaviour over the past three decades has completely overturned previously held assumptions that spiders are rigid, instinct-driven animals with little cognitive capacity. Spiders are now among the best animals in which to explore topics pertaining to cognition, decision-making, learning, numerical competence, and the associated physiological and phenotypical traits, or other observable implications that these abilities may entail with minute brains, even comprising sleep."  
      Spiders hold the possibility of  phrophylactic intervention in human affairs - in various ways - and while this is significant, it should not override the simple truth that spiders have an inherent right to share the planet with us, and are not here only to serve human needs.
     It's a terrific book, readable, a fountain of knowledge, brilliantly illustrated, leaving one thirsting for more.



     So get out today and find a spider or two. Take a few pictures and challenge yourself to identify them and get to know their lifestyle. You'll never view spiders the same way again.


The Lives of Spider: A Natural History of the World's Spiders - Princeton University Press
Ximena Nelson
Hardcover - US$35.00 - ISBN: 9780691255026
288 pages - 7.5 x 9.5 inches (18.75 x 23.75 cm)
150+ colour illustrations
Publication date: 04 June, 2024


    

David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

35 comments:

  1. Despite being bitten by spiders (twice) now and reacting not well, I am fascinated by them - and truly admire their architectural skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do have some potentially nasty species in Australia, Sue.

      Delete
  2. Spiders are helpful, and I like them. Great review, David.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...this is one of the areas where my knowledge is mighty weak.

    ReplyDelete
  4. o my...spiders are gross and I can't stand them...no, I fear them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,
    Sounds like a great book, I admit I do not know much about spiders. I did know they are beneficial to humans. Thanks for the review. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love spiders. They spin and weave, so much better than humans can, even making their own thread.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, no, no. I could have done without that shock to my system on Saturday morning. Spiders are my kryptonite and can make me run like a little girl. They are fascinating when photographed up close. I shudder and am fascinated all at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so strange, I didn't want to read your post when I saw the spider, but I did anyway. It seems like a nice book. In autumn, I enjoy photographing orb-weaver spiders with all those threads and droplets. Otherwise, I stay away from spiders. Brrrr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A fall meadow of spider webs is something to behold.

      Delete
  9. Much needed but not my favorite animals :)
    Have a shinny weekend !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always welcome your book reviews, and this one sounds fascinating too. Thanks David!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The beauty of spiders’ webs is another remarkable feature of them. It’s hard to appreciate that beauty when the silken threads are hanging from the ceiling and collecting dust, though — better to find them in the woods and fields…
    best, mae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The webs in the house seem to be more numerous than spiders!

      Delete
  12. I have a spider on my balcony, and we have an agreement - it can live there free as long as it doesn't come aside! Hugs xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Prefiero no acercarme mucho y que no entren en el interior de mi vivienda....todo es por motivo de seguridad.
    Feliz domingo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love spiders and I love watching them in my garden. This is a fabulous book.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Me encantan las arañas, son muy interesantes. Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think I need this book. Spiders have always fascinated me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very interesting review, looks like an excellent book.
    They are useful for nature!
    You gave me the idea to photograph a spider.
    Have a beautiful week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I find spiders fascinating.
    I once held a tarantula in my hands and had to hold it with both hands.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  19. That spider on the cover is cool! I actually like spiders, and in the fall you are apt to find a few a around the house because I always let them be. There was an old NOVA public television show from the 1990's (I think) all about spiders and what I remember most about the show is how complex their lives actually are. And we think we're so smart...ha ha.. not always. I hope you are having a great weekend David. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  20. Spiders are marvelous creatures. And photos of web's spider are sometimes nice.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello David,
    Yet another delightful and insightful book review. Your encounter with the Common House Spider sets a perfect tone for this exploration of Ximena Nelson's work. It’s wonderful to see such appreciation for the depth and diversity of arachnid life, and the contribution of women scientists to this fascinating field. Nelson’s book sounds like a must-read for anyone interested in spiders and their intricate world. Thanks, as always, for sharing your thoughts and have a great weekend!
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comments are always a pleasure to read, John.

      Delete
  22. Back in the dark ages when I used to get up early, I wrote a post about spiderwebs. They are truly amazing creations. One gets the best pictures early in the morning when they are covered in dew... Until then I did not realize that they were three dimensional. Fascinating for sure... I have been bitten several times by spiders usually at night while I'm sleeping. I had a bad reaction to a couple of them. I hope you're having a wonderful weekend. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm always fascinated by spiders webs, they are works of art!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi David!
    that photo of the first moment is awesome, so beautiful. It´s a magnificent green spider, that big eyes; stunning beauty and also intelligents: the world belongs to spiders with their artistic and perfect webs.

    Have a nice start to the week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Interesting book. My classmate was bitten by a spider when it fell on top of her eye as she was trying to brush it off the ceiling. Her eye swelled up and she had to wear an eye patch for weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This looks like a beneficial book to read. I've had spiders on me one time or another during my entire experience of gardening, even a black widow during one experience. One just keeps their cool and moves them to a location nearby. The black widow I discovered on my arm when my hands were full, so a strong blow from my mouth and off it fell, luckily.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Amazing illustrations. In general, spiders are beautiful. My husband likes macro photography and I have seen photos of spiders. I also have a lot of them in the garden. And at home too. They help me fight home pests.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi David - I must say I'd love to concentrate on one thing ... but my powers of concentration at this time in my life don't seem to want me to do this. An extraordinary book this must be ... especially in the way you've reviewed it - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers