Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Book Review - The Ant Collective: Inside the World of an Ant Colony - Princeton University Press


      There has been a growing level of interest in ants of late, or at least it seems so to me, and this remarkable book continues to stimulate our curiosity about these industrious insects. Ants serve both as a paradigm of hard work and eusocial organization, and drive us crazy if they get into our homes, or ruin a summer picnic.
      Armin Schieb provides us with a detailed examination of the workings of an ant colony, supported by a gallery of computer-generated images that are breathtaking. You will see the intricacies of life in ant society in ways you have never seen before.


     Each picture is supported by a series of notes explaining exactly what is going on. Life beneath your feet is revealed and explained in a concise manner; you are effectively transported underground to witness the events unfolding before your eyes.
    In addition to the subterrainean workings of the colony you are treated to other aspects of ant existence, including such essentials as mating and reproduction. 
     Ants are renowned for their mutualistic association with aphids, from whom they derive a sugary treat, and the depiction of this relationship is exquisite.


     From start to finish the text is terrific - precise and informative, but it is the pictures that really set the book apart.
     The picture of a Green Woodpecker, invading the colony to eat its fill of ants whose poison it has neutralized, is nothing short of wonderful.


     I spent several minutes poring over the pictures, revelling in their exquisite detail, discovering nuance and accuracy with every glimpse.
     How often have you had a pig's snout view of worker ants furiously trying to save their larvae from a marauding hog?


     If you come to this book knowing nothing at all about ants, you will benefit from the introductory sections on anatomy, sex and caste, circulation and respiration - and so on - everything that makes an ant an ant.



     Read, enjoy and return often to look at this unique gallery of pictures. That alone will fill you with satisfaction.


The Ant Collective: Inside the World of an Ant Colony - Princeton University Press
Armin Schieb
Hardcover - US$24.95 - ISBN: 9780691255927
128 pages - 8 x 11 inches (20 x 27.5 cm) 
120 colour illustrations
Publication date: 07 May, 2024
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

33 comments:

  1. Thank you. The world is packed with natural wonders - which we ignore or destroy at our peril.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...I must admit, they are my favorite critters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting book on Ants, a great review! Thanks for sharing! Have a great day and happy week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful book! I've been fascinated with ants since I was a child. Not so happy when I was invaded with carpenter ants in my last house. What stunned me though was when I killed some on my bathroom floor and went off to clean up the mess, I came back to the ants carrying off their dead.
    These tiny creatures are amazing.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are known to remove their dead and pile them in middens. Verges on human behaviour, doesn't it?

      Delete
  5. Great pictures in the book. Ants deserve a book of their own.

    ReplyDelete
  6. awesome photos and illustrations. we live in Florida, day before yesterday ANT season started, teen tiny ones that fill the house and get on every thing. I just came from spraying with peppermint spray, THEY say ants hate it. I SAY they do not... they are called sugar ants and so small we can't see what they look like. small and mighty, and true little pests. in fact one just walked across my laptop screen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like an excellent study. I do admire ants even when they're trying to share my food. They're such a group force of intelligence and planning. We could learn a thing or two. They'll be here long after we're extinct, is my guess.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure it's a very interesting book, David. Beautiful photos. I have at least three different ants here, and I'm not so happy about them. They have bitten me many times.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ants are indeed wonderful. In one of the parks here there is an ant colony in a viewing box, so fascinating to see these creatures at work. Would you please be so kind to send me your post address, I have something for you.....Hugs, Valerie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ants..well, not something for me..I kill them as soon as I see them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi David - this sounds a wonderful book - I'm amazed when I learn more about these tiny critters - they are incredibly innovative ... and I'd love to know if they really do encompass this earth of ours ...I really love learning about them. Obviously those images inspired you ... out of this world by the look of them. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Querido David. Interesante libro y excelente reseña. Las hormigas sin duda son un mundo fantástico y curioso. Aquí como en todas partes las hay a miles como en todos lados. A mi particularmente no me molestan, no suelen dar problemas. Un enorme abrazo para ti y para Miriam.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are right, David. Those pictures are awesome. Glad you enjoyed the book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those illustrations look fantastic. And I can see a few reasons why we need to study ants, besides their role in nature that is. For one, the organization they have goes to show that they are intelligent, but in a way different from how mammals are. And what can a colony show us about a way for us to live, especially as we get more and more people on earth. Thanks for sharing. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hola David!
    Ahh, it's amazing how ants, in their small size, can teach us so much about teamwork, organization, and persistence! these powerful creatures that share our planet are truly fascinating. and as a girl watched them with their green leaves on the head, I adore them 🐜

    Bisous and great recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever I visit Central or South America I look forward to seeing Leafcutter Ants - fascinating creatures!

      Delete
  16. Did they say anything about the tiny grease ants?
    I've always liked ants but not when they get inside. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no specific reference to grease ants, Rita. I confess it was a new term to me.

      Delete
  17. The book looks amazing, the photographs do look wonderful, what we walk on we just don't know enough about.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think this is a very interesting book, David.
    There are beautiful photos in it.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  19. Me gustan estos libros por lo que aprendemos de ellos. Hay especies muy valoradas. Y también contribuyen para mantener un equilibrio en la naturaleza.
    Buen semana para ti y Miriam.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I must admit, even though I love this book, ants and I are at war. They overrun us here.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great illustrations! With all the wood Peckers around here you would think the ants would be pretty much taken care of. They are probably picky about the type of ant they eat.
    This is the time of year when I said big black ants in my kitchen. Just one or two to Starbucks. I go out back and spray my foundation and that takes care of it...hugs

    ReplyDelete
  22. We have an ant infested house, and I hate it. We use Raid to kill them. Very effective!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt your house is built in an area rife with ants. Sooner or later some will develop an immunity to Raid and you will need to use stronger and stronger poisons. It’s a losing game.

      Delete
  23. What a fascinating book. It sparks a memory of when Bill and I were camping across the northern US in 2009 and stopped for a few days in Hardin, Montana. We sat at a picnic table near our tent, dropped a large piece of walnut, and spend quite a long time watching the ants processing it and bringing it home.

    ReplyDelete
  24. When I was a small child my father always led me to believe that if humans were not in the world, ants would take over. They might well have done a better job!!
    Bisous mon ami, Diame

    ReplyDelete
  25. This sounds a wonderful book.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  26. Otro libro interesante y bonito. Besos.

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers