Monday, February 26, 2024

Book Review - Ferns, Spikemosses, Clubmosses, and Quillworts - Princeton Field Guides

 


     I am quite sure that for most naturalists the vascular plants encompassed by this field guide, collectively known as "pteridophytes," are difficult taxa to deal with. As a consequence they receive short shrift from many otherwise keen observers, and Emily B. Sessa does a masterful job in convincing us that we should put our trepidation aside and jump in with both feet; gleefully even, with the expectation that we will learn and become entranced.
     That has certainly been my reaction to the book.
     The science is impeccable, the narrative superb, the pictures magnificent.


     Ferns, mosses and their allies are all around us, and on every continent, present even on the frigid barrens of Antarctica, so it really does behoove us to to develop a more intimate acquaintance with them.
     This is not to say that getting to know them is easy, but worthwhile things seldom are, and after all who does not relish a challenge - especially one where the rewards are so great.
     The book begins with a definition of ferns, spikemosses, clubmosses and quillworts, followed by a standard "How to use this book" segment. Eleven pages are then devoted to the techniques required to successfully identify the organisms down to the species level.


 
   A fine glossary follows.
     Most of the rest of the book is dedicated to a species review, grouped by family, and containing a succinct description highlighting all characters needed to clinch the ID, a range map, handily colour-coded, and several pictures.
     The author wades into the minefield of taxonomy and pays due attention to hybrids, polyploids and reticulate relationships - more grist for the intellectual mill.


     A detailed checklist enables the reader to keep track of species seen and their geographic subregions.
     Many suggestions for further reading and reference are provided, including general reference books, scientific papers, and web-based resources.


     This is a very fine treatment of a complex group of plants that command our attention; indeed our affection.
     I commend this book to all who love nature in its glorious and often prolific diversity; be sure to use it well - and often! 



Ferns, Spikemosses, Clubmosses, and Quillworts of Eastern North America - Princeton Field Guides
Emily B. Sessa
Paperback - US$29.95 - ISBN: 9780691219455
528 pages - 5.875 x 8.25 inches (14.69 x 20.625 cm)
More than 2,500 coloured illustrations, 20 black-and-white illustrations
Publication date: 05 March, 2024
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

37 comments:

  1. I suspect that, even if this book was specific to Leicestershire England, rather than Eastern North America, David, it would not be one for me at this stage in my life. You've got me thinking, however!

    Best wishes to you both - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great book and review! Take care, have a great day and happy week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like ferns! Saws lots of mosses today on our walk along the Rhein river.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...this is one for me. I love them, but know most of their names.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this review. I've never seen able to get much information on this area of botany, even local naturalists dismissing my questions as too specialized for their range. Now there's a resource, great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that it has been more neglected in the literature than other groups of organisms, and is a little intimidating to many.

      Delete
  6. I love all ferns, the more the merrier and I like mosses also and am wondering if the book had my favorite Spanish Moss. I am thinking maybe it is not a real moss, but an air plant. Ferns i have enjoyed my entire life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like a good and well illustrated one. It would be handy on my up-north walks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful plants. I'm looking for ways to add more ferns to my landscape so the title of this book definitely caught my eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a large stand of native ferns in our garden,

      Delete
  9. Absolutely love ferns! No clue about the names, but this book certainly had more information than I could ever hope to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never realised that there are so many different sorts of ferns, thanks! Hugs, Valerie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like ferns and mosses a lot. I'm sure it's a very nice book, David. Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  12. Querido David espero encontrar este libro aquí porque sin duda lo necesito. Me encantan los Helechos, los musgos, bueno en realidad me encanta todo en la naturaleza, pero pocas veces se encuentran libros que nos expliquen con claridad la manera de reconocerlos y no siempre es una tarea fácil. Muchas gracias por compartirlo. Abrazos y besos para ti y para Miriam.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mam przyjaciół, którzy posiadają narodowe kolekcje paproci. Musze im wysłać link z Twoją recenzją. Kiedyś też się fascynowałam, ale u mnie jest zbyt sucho. Mam kilkanaście odmian i je uwielbiam. Dla innych musiałby się zmienić klimat. No i miałam z męzem wystawę fotografii paproci w 2018. Pisałam nawet chyba o tym...
    Dziekuję!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s great to have friends who are fern lovers, Ludmila. I hope they will enjoy this review and perhaps even go on to acquire the book.

      Delete
  14. Me encanta las plantas y tengo macetas decorando la terraza y el paatio.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Many thanks for this review.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think just the fern parts would be useful and interesting. I see so many types of ferns, and I don't know most of them. Hope the trip went well. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ferns are sometimes a challenge to identify, Erika, but with dedication it can be done.

      Delete
  17. I love ferns....I saw the most beautiful ferns in New Zealand....they were impressive because of the size....interesting book.....Abrazotes, Marcela

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ferns abundant everywhere. The book looks as if the illustrations are good.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like ferns.
    I didn't know there were so many different types.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  20. A great book David !
    For fern's lovers and not only...
    Have a nice day !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello David :=) Ferns grow everywhere on my property and I love them They have a tendency to increase each year and I cut them down for the new growth to appear. Thank you for this great review and sure the book will be enjoyed by countless nature lovers.
    Hugs and xxxxxx.
    Sonjia.

    ReplyDelete
  22. J'aime beaucoup les mousses et les fougères, il y'en a beaucoup dans mon jardin, la mousse je trouve magique, on pourrait la croire morte toute sèche en été et puis à la première petite averse elle revient. Bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi David! i ♥ ferns too, they are divine. Provide beauty, freshness and calm.
    Have a nice night
    dear friend or mine!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Muy interesante este libro sobre musgos y helechos, gracias por mencionarlo.
    Muchos besos, amigo David.

    ReplyDelete
  25. When I lived in N. ID. the ferns were abundant and in several varieties. I don't see them very much where I live now. Looks like a fantasic book. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I do like ferns and mosses but I had never heard of quillworts and did an image search. very interesting, don't think I've ever seen any. one of the images that came up was the cover of this very book.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks like a fabulous book! I had a volunteer fern growing with an aloe plant in the conservatory, so I re-potted the aloe and left the fern, which continues to grow. Now that we no longer have a conservatory, I stuck it in the bathroom under the skylight and it seems happy enough :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ferns are really quite wonderful, and often unappreciated.

      Delete
  28. I've been seeing lots of fern in just the last 2 wks, on my walks; as the seasons are beginning to change. I'll have to take notice next time out whether they're all the same in appearance or not. Just seeing the bright green makes me smile to help with the drab ugly brown and gray. Spring is coming.......yippee skippy.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  29. Muy interesante, gracias por compartir David. Un fuerte abrazo desde el norte de España.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Este libro sería ideal para mí, me encanta. Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love ferns! I was not familiar with Quillworts.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi David - I grew up around ferns (and in them as a kid) ... and have often marvelled at plant life - particularly of these species. You've given us an excellent review here - sadly not a book I'll be reading I suspect - but I love to know about them: thank you! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers