Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Book Review - Birds of China - Princeton Field Guides

 


     This is a remarkable field guide. From the front cover with its stunning image of a pair of Temminck's Tragopans, to the thumbnail portraits at the back, it delivers quality on every page.
     One would think that by 2024 every improvement that might be made to a field guide would have been made, but this one sets the bar yet again higher. 
     It is significant in many ways, not least of which is that it is edited by two distinguished Chinese ornithologists, supported by a cast of subordinate editors, no less competent and equally passionate about the avian diversity of their huge country.  Who better to know the bird life of China than authors of this calibre? 
     The introductory sections are useful, and in some cases unique, a brief history of systematics, for example. A brief guide to birdwatching even bears recommendations for equipment. There is a short section on bird vocalizations, and important information on bird conservation in China.
     I find the coverage of bird topography especially pleasing and useful, where detailed diagrams of a passerine, a duck and a gull are featured. For a novice birder this will be exceptionally helpful.
     The illustrations throughout are first class.


     Perhaps the most notable aspect of this field guide is that each bird is introduced first by its scientific name, a practice I have never seen in any other field guide and one which I applaud. The name is then given in Mandarin, followed by what I assume is a phonetic interpretation of the Mandarin name, and finally the English language name.


     I can hear kvetching from afar that in an English language guide, the English name should be accorded prominence, and I am not blind to the justification for that position.  It does seem to me, however, that Mandarin merits its position of prominence here - who knows maybe some of us will learn a Mandarin name or two?


      If I have one minor reservation with this exceptional guide, it is that the type is smaller than I would like, but since the guide already weighs in at 1.568 kg, and a larger typeface would necessitate more pages, it is probably a reasonable compromise.


      More birders than ever before are visiting China; rest assured that this is THE guide to take with you. You'll be very happy that you did.


Birds of China - Princeton Field Guides
Paperback - US$39.95 - ISBN: 9780691237527
672 pages - 6.125 x 9.25 inches (15.31 x 23.125 cm)
4,000 colour illustrations
Publishing date: 16 January, 2024
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

29 comments:

  1. Errrr, I've gor a plate of Mandarins in the kitchen - does that count? Looks like a good book, with beautiful illustrations. The bird on the right seems to be lit up Hugs, Valerie xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many birds, so little time...
    This is a book I am sure you would love to put to the test.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful illustrations, David. I'm sure it's a great Field Quide. If you look closely on the front page you will see two small Orchids, and they are named Pleione. I'm sure they grow many places in China beside the birds.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go to the top of the class for noting that, Marit. Detailed accuracy like that enhances the guide even more. Hugs and kisses - David

      Delete
  4. ...I'm afraid that I won't be making the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am impressed with the illustrations, the ones you showed us are beautiful. if you go to China, be sure to leave your password with someone here that can advise us you are locked in prison and they will not let you out...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much as I would love to see the birds of China, Sandra, the chances are well nigh impossible. I have birded in both Hong Kong and Taiwan, however.

      Delete
  6. Sounds wonderful. My son-in-law (who is not a birder) just recently returned from a business trip to China and he sent me some pictures of birds in a park he visited while he was there. Perhaps I need this guide to help me identify them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you been birding in China? Even if you haven't, it is always fun to look at places around the world. I'm sure you love seeing the birds. How many countries have you gone birding in? Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not birded in China, although I have done so in both Hong Kong and Taiwan so according to some that might be China. To answer your other question I have birded in 47 countries - I may have missed a couple!

      Delete
  8. From what I can see, you are right, David in assuming that the words that follow the Chinese characters is Pinyin, the standard system of romanized spelling of Chinese characters, or the Chinese Phonetic Alphabet. That is how I learned to pronounce Chinese words correctly - and then I went to Taiwan and they use (or used at that time, 1983) a completely different system. I like that the Chinese name of the birds is given in this book, and the illustrations are superb. Yongbao, Carola

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks a good book to have the birds are easily seen on what you have shown us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a beautiful book with beautiful drawings of the birds.
    I will never come to China.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  11. If I was to visit China, I could be tempted to take this guide with me but, at that size, I might have to consider its impact on my baggage allowance! China is a place that I have never found the urge to visit - unlike Lindsay, who wants to see the Terracotta Army.

    Best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In addition to birding, I would enjoy those terracotta soldiers too.

      Delete
  12. Wow! This is a beautiful book. Are you planning a trip to China?

    ReplyDelete
  13. The illustrations look beautiful..The Terracotta army sounds interesting..Seems like a worthwhile and enjoyable field guide..

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks like a gorgeous book. I especially appreciate the beautiful and detailed illustrations and am glad you showed pix of the inside too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your collection of the avian variety of books must be a treasure trove, David. I worked with someone who mastered Mandarin in less than a year. Needless to mention I was completely impressed.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  16. Otro libro precioso, que yo estaría muy feliz con el. Abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would not be surprised to find you planning a trip there, David! So many birds in this world, such beauty to be found everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Querido David me encantaría conseguir en español este libro, parece que muestra aves muy interesantes, aunque tengo algunos libros de aves cuando tiene mucho parecido no soy capaz de distinguirlas, pero bueno de igual manera me encanta verlas y observarlas. Un enorme abrazo para ti y para Miriam.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The illustrations look so beautiful.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  20. fantastic book.... I should have this book

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi David - I'd love to have visited China ... but now not, also Hong Kong and Taiwan - still at least I've been to a few places. I was fortunate to be taken to see the few Terracotta Army figures that were brought to the British Museum back in 2007 ... but to see them in situ would be wonderful. The birds abounding in China must be amazing - thanks for the review - chees Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers