Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Birding in Cuba - November, 2023 - Part 3

22 November, 2023
Las Salinas - Hondones 

One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.
William Shakespeare


     Breakfast, as always, was a fine affair, and we had more than enough to eat, with excellent coffee, that essential elixir for North Americans.
     Adding to the pleasure of our morning meal was the company of Damita and Jose, along with Elisabeth, (Ellie) the most recent member of their family, the new wife of Jose, Jr.  
     Is she not a charming and beautiful young lady?


     How happy they all are together.


     Damita was anxious to let me know, "I love her like my own daughter."
     Jose, Jr was away on a course to complete his certification as a diving instructor, but I was happy to hear that he would be arriving back home just before we would leave.
     As I was gazing over the balcony, enjoying the world going by, I observed the unusual spectacle of a man leading a boar down the street; whether he was destined to become pork chops or to oblige a lustful sow I was unable to tell, but I earnestly hope for the latter!


     
The other members of our group, staying at a different house, joined us, and we boarded the bus to penetrate the Zapata Swamp at Las Salinas, to take part in what surely must rank as one of the major avian spectacles of the Western Hemisphere. Jovany, our ever reliable driver, delivered us there.

     One of the star attractions was a Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens), that madcap dancer of the long-legged troupe of herons and egrets.


     Black-necked Stilt (Himantopus mexicanus) is an exceptionally handsome bird, always appealing, teetering on those outrageous legs, and there were many probing in the lagoons.



     Wood Storks (Mycteria americana) were usually either far off or in flight, but Brian managed to capture this image.


     To choose avian "superstars" is probably a bit of a fool's game, but a case could be made for American Flamingo (Phoenicopterus ruber), of that I am confident. (Essential reading: The Flamingo's Smile, Stephen Jay Gould).


     It is incredible how they all face the same direction and march in unison like soldiers on a parade ground. It is a spectacle never to be forgotten.


     We saw many Roseate Spoonbills (Platalea ajaja) but most were in flight, speeding by above our heads in the direction of rich feeding grounds I presume.
     What a great shot Lorraine was able to take.


     It is not so many years ago that American White Pelicans (Pelecanus erythrothynchus) were uncommon visitors, but they have obviously found much to their liking and are now commonly seen.


     Clapper Rail (Rallus crepitans) is the consummate secretive skulker of the wetlands so we considered ourselves fortunate to have one put on a bit of a display for us.



     Such a joy!
     Lunch was taken at a little restaurant on the Bay of Pigs, where fresh fish takes on a whole new meaning.


     It was delicious!


     Contented birders were transformed into hungry diners and everyone tucked in.


     I am not quite sure why Mary Ann is grimacing, but I am confident it had nothing to do with the food.
     We repaired to our rooms, enjoyed a siesta until around 15h:00, when coffee and pleasant chit-chat was enjoyed - in Spanish and English - and then it was off to Hondones to Tania's house for new and exciting birds that have found haven in this little corner of paradise.


     
Blue-headed Quail Dove (Starnoenas cyanocephala) is described in the literature as an "uncommon resident" (The Birds of Cuba (2020), or "originally common but its populations have drastically decreased (Endemic Birds of Cuba (2015); in Tania's garden it patronizes her feeders!




     It is joined there by many other species. How does this female Yellow-faced Grassquit (Tiaris olivaceus) take your fancy?


     A Northern Parula (Setophaga americana) is eagerly sought after by keen twitchers at Point Pelee and other migratory hotspots in Ontario, but is never easy to find. In Cuba it comes to backyards, never eschewing a chance to sample a little sugar water set out for hummingbirds.


     Black-throated Blue Warbler (Setophaga caerulescens) is a very common winter visitor.


     Perhaps this female was only weeks ago spending time with us back home. It's hard not to be a little wistful about that possibility.
     The undoubted marquee attraction for everyone present was the indescribably beautiful and uniquely appealing Cuban Tody (Todus multicolor).


    This little package of splendour, no bigger than a chickadee is a heart-stopper. No one remains indifferent to its charm.


     We would see it on several occasions throughout our journey through Cuba, but never was it met with anything less than wild enthusiasm and cameras immediately swung in its direction.
     As we left the house a flock of Cuban Amazons (Amazon leucocephala) came to feed; if there is a more lovely goodbye committee I have yet to discover it.


     Our final quest for the afternoon, now rapidly waning and dusk falling, was Bare-legged Owl (Margarobyas lawrencii). It took a while, but we finally found it, and left knowing without the shadow of a doubt that birding is the best occupation in the world!


     After our usual delicious dinner, Tania, Brian, Karl and I stayed to see if we could find the American Barn Owls (Tyto furcata) that we knew were roosting in the water tower adjacent to our accommodation.
     Our patience was rewarded and we had great looks at this enigmatic bird, often common yet difficult to see.
     What a great day it had been.



David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

75 comments:

  1. ...David, of course the bird images are spectacular, but seeing pictures of Cuba is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cuba is a very interesting country, much maligned and under-appreciated.

      Delete
  2. Hari OM
    Oh yes, the Tody stands out as a jewel-like bird! But all are beautiful and you certainly managed a fine array - with thanks to the photographers! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful post. I love the guy leading the boar and the flamingos. The food looks so goog. I'm happy you were able to have the adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The scene with the man and the pig is also practiced in Europe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an i threshing compilation of photos of not only beautiful birds, but life in Cuba. I enjoyed every word and every picture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked seeing photos of Cuban cuisine, and Cuban people are good looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the ones I have met are kind, gentle and considerate too.

      Delete
  7. So much to see! Can just hear your delight! That tiny Tody is charming. The flamingos...I remember seeing them in Florida as a child. The black-necked Stilts were comically cute. I have the same wish for the boar. Look forward to seeing more of your trip. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. An absolutely FABULOUS day from start to finish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like seeing the photos of Cuban everyday life, they are priceless. The bird sightings are a treat for the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Espectacular reportaje de las aves de Cuba, me ha encantado. David te deseo una Feliz Navidad y un inmejorable Año Nuevo. Un fuerte abrazo desde el norte de España.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, David, it all looks so wonderful. Andx really fresh fish, that's something. The birds are all fantastic, I love the flamingos, I only know them in groups in zoos. And I've never seen anyone walking a pig here! Just lovely. Hugs, Vaerie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That will be your new mission in life, Valerie - find a man walking his pig. And especially ley me know if you find contented sows!

      Delete
  12. Those bird photos are so beautiful and I can tell that the whole group were having a really good time in Cuba.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can say with confidence that they were universally thrilled with the experience.

      Delete
  13. The Reddish Egret is so beautifully photographed, and it's a very pretty bird.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  14. Buena formación la de los flamencos. El menú se ve delicioso. Puede que Mary Ann no quisiera salir en la foto 😊 Precioso colorido tiene el Tody cubano . Gracias por tus reportajes amigo.
    Os deseo a Miriam y a ti una Feliz Navidad.
    Dos abrazos 🤗🤗〰💕

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have no favorite , I love them All. the Tody and the quail are new to me. most of these are familiar here in central west coast Florida. the new DIL is beautiful and like all the people you know and love there, looks so full of life and laughter. My hubby has always wanted to visit Cuba, but not for birds. for beaches and OLD CARS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He would have no shortage of either, and lots of secluded beaches too away from the tourists.

      Delete
  16. hello David
    The way you describe it, as if I were there, had already tried the fish...;-)) a great day for bird lovers.
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another great collection of wonderful photos! I'm so glad you saw the Roseate Spoonbill about which I had learned through a podcast about the Everglades. The falmingos are a beautiful sight and the Cuban Tody is such a darling bird. I'm sure it is very fullfilling to see all these beautiful birds, experience this interesting country and meet its kind people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will soon be making my sixth visit to Cuba, so that will give you a clear idea of the esteem in which I hold its wildlife and its people, Carola.

      Delete
  18. Amazing pictures. Thank you for sharing them, especially the ones of the Cuban Tody. Marvelous little bird!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That was a fulfilling day. An experience not to be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So many larger birds in warm climates…great captures! The owl is a beauty,

    ReplyDelete
  21. Not every organism on my living thing bucket list is a bird, but wild American flamingos are on my list. Wow, you saw a lot of them. That's a lot of pink. (smile) And I've read that Stephan Jay Gould book. I still have it in fact. Hope your week is going well David. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  22. I always enjoy following you along on your vacation adventures. The birds are marvelous but I have also always had a curiosity about Cuba and have enjoyed seeing it too. Thanks David!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a wonderful trip, dear friend David! I love the brilliant natural life of Cuba and its friendly people.

    Thank you for your kindness and funny comments, it is touch my heart always.

    God bless you & your family 🌷


    *.*.*.*.*.╔╦═╦╦═╦═╦═╦═╗__ /l、
    .*.*.*.*.*.║╔╝║║╚╣╚╣═╣╚╣_(゚、 。 7
    .*.*.*.*.*.║╚╗║╠╗╠╗║═╬╗║_l、 ~ヽ(´¨
    .*.*.*.*.*.╚╝╚╩╩═╩═╩═╩═╝...じしf_, )ノ❤

    ReplyDelete
  24. I can imagine that the group enjoyed the whole trip!!!....nature and food!...what a great combination!.....all the best for you and your family in 2024!......Abrazotes, Marcela

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wonderful report on your Cuba trip! I love seeing all the birds, great collection of photos.
    I have a few favorites, the flamingos, the cute owl and the Cuban Tody is adorable. Take care, have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  26. The variety in the shapes, sizes, and plumage of the birds that you feature in this post, seen in just one day in Cuba, would be hard to find in a month or more in any place that I have ever been to, David. Add to that, good food, and pleasant company, and you clearly had a truly enviable experience.

    Best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  27. And there are many others for which I don’t have pictures, Richard.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Another post on what looks to have been a wonderful adventure, David. of course, accompanied by such amiable traveling companions. The flamingoes in formation were interesting to see, but my favorite (and apparently many others) was the Tody.

    ReplyDelete
  29. That was another excellent day! We used to live in a town where white pelicans were abundant--beautiful birds!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hello David :=)
    Your exciting birding vacation is thrilling to read about, and thanks to your birding companions wonderful to see all the photos of the great variety of Cuban birds. The Tody as you say is tough to beat, it is a small but radiant jewel, and what is amazing is that it can be seen in the backyards of Cuba. I enjoyed all your bird sightings David and photos of the hospitable Cuban families. Thank you for a most enjoyable post.
    Warm good wishes
    Hugs and xxxxxx
    Sonjia

    ReplyDelete
  31. Buena comida de convivencia, con unos excelentes alimentos. La excursión ha valido la pena hacerla, con el buen avistamiento de aves, que se ha visto en las fotos.
    Feliz Navidad, junto a familiares y amigos.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I always loved to see Black-necked Stilts Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Gracias por tan precioso reportaje. Todas las aves me gustan. Antes por mí pueblo también se veían la escena del cerdo, ya casi no se ven. Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I enjoyed seeing the photos of Cuban life.
    The bird sightings are a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh what a wonderful trip and such lovely photoss of the birds, people and that fish!
    Love flamingos..Merry Christmas to you and your family - and a Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Haha, dear David - yes, let's hope for the boar that he was chosen for the baby pig production ;-)
    I'm very happy for you that you were able to spend such beautiful days in Cuba again and watch so many birds - and I'm afraid that I too have succumbed to the charm of the Cuban tody. Closely followed by the aesthetically disciplined flamingos!
    All the best from Austria, Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/12/winter-wunderland-und-frohe-weihnachten.html
    🍀❣️🧸🎠❤️⛄🍄🎄

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thank you for this wonderful virtual tour.
    I loved all the photos, not only of the birds but also of life in Cuba, it is certainly a fantastic trip.
    Best wishes to you and Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  38. I hope the pig makes it to the new year.
    That's a very handsome Heron..
    Love the little Cuban Tody!! Merry Christmas to you and your family...All the best in 2024..

    ReplyDelete
  39. Querido David muy interesante y bonita entrada, las aves son todas hermosas, las fotos espectaculares. Y aunque tuve una muy muy mala experiencia con un inquilino cubano no hay duda de que en todos los lugares del mundo nos podemos encontrar con personas maravillosas. Un enorme abrazo para ti y para Miriam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry that you had such a bad experience with a Cuban tenant, Lola. Every society has its unscrupulous people, I suppose.

      Delete
    2. Sin duda David. Pero por suerte para nosotros la inmensa mayoría de las personas son maravillosas.

      Delete
  40. You saw some marvelous birds! The little tody is gorgeous and I like that Blue-headed Quail Dove.

    ReplyDelete
  41. What gorgeous birds! Especially the flamingo! And the boar headed down the street is a new sight!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Reading -- and viewing -- the blog is like reliving the entire adventure. I went for the bird and fell in love with the people. David, I struggle with the words when asked to describe the trip and what made it so special. Fortunately I can just forward a link to your blog to do the job for me.

    ReplyDelete
  43. All the bird pictures are wonderful as always, LOVED the Blue headed one, very interesting. Cuba? I'm floored, as I thought there was a travel band against going to Cuba. Did you have to have special permission to enter the country? Seeing a wild boar walking down the street would scare me, not sure I would think it contained by the man walking it. Fresh fish...that is indeed fresh, would be hard pass for me. I don't like fish, and to see it there staring at me gives me the hibijibbers (no clue how that's spelled). Merry Christmas to you and yours.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandy: Canada has never had issues with Cuba nor travel restrictions to that country. In February I will be making my sixth visit there.

      Delete
  44. Thanks for that very kind comment, Brian.

    ReplyDelete
  45. ╔╔║⌂═╗
    ╠╠║║╔╝
    ║╚╚║╚═
    ╔╗║ ╔╗ ║║ ⌂ ╔╣ ╔╗ ╔╣
    ║║║ ╠╣ ║║ ║ ║║ ╠╣ ║║
    ║╚╝ ║║ ╚╝ ║ ╚╝ ║║ ╚╝
    ┊ ┊ ┊ ┊ ┊ ┊ ┊ ┊ ┊★
    ┊ ┊ ┊ ┊ ┊ ┊ ┊ ┊☆
    ┊ ┊ ┊ ┊ ┊ ┊ ┊♥
    ┊ ┊ ┊ ┊ ┊ ┊♡
    ┊ ┊ ┊ ┊ ┊★
    ┊ ┊ ┊ ┊☆
    ┊ ┊ ┊♥
    ┊ ┊♡
    ┊★

    ReplyDelete
  46. Dear David, the picture with the pig is really colossal... of course I immediately think of a truffle pig - a pig that finds truffles, a delicacy that can conjure up wonderfully enjoyable dishes... do you know truffles?
    For us humans, the appearance of the herons - here in your case the beautiful reddish heron - is a feast for the eyes... not to mention the flamingo - I was very lucky to be able to see them in the flesh on the island of Sardinia.
    What an incredible play of colors little Tody has... so beautiful. Thanks David. Now I have to go out... imagine that it snowed - completely unforeseen - the day before yesterday we had a lot of plus temperatures. 10 cm of snow today - wonderful... off to the forest... immediately. It's divine outside.
    A hug for you both from Viola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am aware of truffles, Viola, and the manner in which pigs are used to find them. They are probably a little outside my budget!

      Delete
  47. Hello David,
    Wonderful report on your birding in Cuba. The photos are lovely, so many beautiful birds. I would have been thrilled to see the cute Cuban Tody and the owl. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Tare care, wishing you a happy weekend! PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I am delighted with your photos and unusual birds. Your trip was beautiful and the memories will remain in your memory for a long time...

    Have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Beautiful birds! This flamingo in flight is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Wat een prachtige vogelsoorten hebben jullie daar op Cuba gezien David. Het moet een mooie reis geweest zijn.

    Groeten,
    Ad

    ReplyDelete
  51. my family had a beach house, though it was actually on the bay side of the west end of Galveston Island, and in the evenings we would see a group of roseate spoonbills fly over to their nesting grounds. your meal reminds me of one of the best I had in Cozumel when we were taaken out in a boat to fish and then we came ahore on a little spit of land where they grilled the fish we had just caught. and I love that little Cuban Tody.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Sorry a bit late in the day but glad I managed to catch up on this post, Amazing photos and thanks to Lorraine for her help in adding to the photos. The Pelicans are amazing birds and so beautiful but the star for me had to be the Cuban Tody, it is stunning, wow.

    I hope that you had a good Christmas and I wish you well for 2024. Bisous mon ami Diane

    ReplyDelete
  53. Just love the Cuban Tody :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  54. Hi David,
    Cuba is the place to be! Stunning Birds!! And what more could you want? Good food, good company and beautiful photos to remember this birdibg holiday
    Regards, Maria

    ReplyDelete

  55. What beautiful observation trips you have done in Cuba, I really liked your story, as always, it is entertaining to read. Among the species I highlight the blue-headed pigeon, the Cuban tody and the Cuban mazona, they seem surprising to me. Greetings

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers