Thursday, October 26, 2023

Columbia Lake and Mike Schout Wetlands Preserve

 01 October, 2023
Columbia Lake, Waterloo, ON
     

     My daughter, Caroline, and son-in-law, Andrew, were visiting from Ottawa and we decided to make Columbia Lake our morning destination. 
     A wonderful stand of Pannicled Aster (Symphyotrichum lanceolatum) was there to welcome us.


     A Northern Leopard Frog (Lithobates pipiens), as all frogs are wont to do, did its best to conceal itself so as not attract attention from would-be predators, unable to know that this group of human admirers simply rejoiced in its company.


     The vegetation is very dense at this time of the year, but we bushwhacked on through, stalwart adventurers that we are!


     This snag was the favourite perch of Northern Flickers (Colaptes auratus) and American Robins (Turdus migratorius).


     The flickers are certainly preparing to move south, but so many robins spend the winter with us in recent years, who knows whether these birds will leave or choose to stay?
     Northern Flicker in our part of the world is the yellow-shafted variant, clearly visible in the picture below.


     Nothing causes the maple leaf imprinted on my Canadian heart to flutter so resolutely as a flock of Canada Geese (Branta canadensis), and to watch them come in to land is a spectacle as fine as any you ever saw, and there is never a charge for admission.


     Edna Vincent Millay said, "I looked in my heart while the wild swans went over." I will take the liberty of changing swans to geese, (although the Tundra Swans (Cygnus columbianus), spring and fall, initiate the same reaction), and she has captured my contentment perfectly.
     Asian Lady Beetles (Harmonia axyridis) seem to have become ever more abundant.


     Red Milkweed Beetle (Tetraopes tetrophthalmus) is always a delightful discovery.


     This nest of Aerial Yellowjackets (genus Dolichovespula), a eusocial species, would have been aggressively defended when the combs were full of helpless eggs, larvae and pupae. Now it stands empty, a silent reminder of what has been and what will be again.


     What would a family get-together be without a picture or two?


     Several Great Blue Herons (Ardea herodias) were seen, always exhibiting the patience required to secure a meal.


     On this occasion they were joined by their close relative, the Great Egret (Ardea alba).


     I am still taken aback when I reflect on the past, when all too familiar human profligacy and detestable greed, drove this species to the brink of extinction to satisfy the demands of the millinery trade for egret feathers.
     I swear I felt my heart flutter as another flock of Canada Geese joined us.


     Diminutive Green-winged Teal (Anas carolinensis) perhaps appeared in honour of my daughter!


     I have little knowledge of grasshoppers, but that does nothing to dilute my enthusiasm for them, and I relish the challenge in trying to identify them. I am pretty sure that the following individual is a species of Short-horned Grasshopper (family Acrididae).


     A Red-legged Grasshopper (Melanoplus femurrubrum) is a little more familiar.


     The colours of fall are really starting to dominate the landscape.


    Having favourite flowers is a bit of a mug's game, since it is bound to constantly change, and often the most cherished is the one I am admiring at the moment. New England Aster (Symphyotrichum novae-angliae) would be high on my list, however.


     Canada Geese and a Great Egret make a handsome pairing when seen together.


     Mallards (Anas platyrynchos), no matter how familiar, never lose their charm.


     Here they are with their smaller cousins, Green-winged Teal.


     It seems that we weren't the only ones enjoying a family get-together this weekend.

Mike Schout Wetlands Preserve, New Hamburg, ON

     After lunch we decided out to head to the Mike Schout Wetland, a location new to Andrew and Caroline.



     You may not wish to develop an intimate association with a Dark Paper Wasp (Polistes fuscatus), but it's hard to deny that it's a very handsome insect.


     For your viewing pleasure, I present a Common Flesh Fly (genus Sarcophaga).


     This is a widespread genus where adults are homogeneous in their morphology and often not recognizable at the species level by visual inspection alone. 
     A Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia) was quite predictable.


     Perennial Sow Thistle (Sonchus arvensis) is right at the end of its season, but will continue to provide rich seeds for granivorous birds.


     The day was unseasonably hot, but the approach of fall inexorably advances along the Nith River.


     A couple of captivating and highly energized young children were anxious to tell us what they had seen, and couldn't resist a glimpse through Caroline's binoculars.


     I wonder if they saw this Autumn Meadowhawk (Sympetrum vicinum) looking very splendid in the bright sunlight?


     Hairy White Oldfield Aster (Symphyotrichum pilosum) was dotted here and there.


     There were many Western Honey Bees (Apis mellifera) still industriously gathering nectar and the last of of the pollen still being produced.


     A Common Cluster Fly (Pollenia rudis) rounded out our sightings for the day.



     It was great to share it all with Caroline and Andrew.
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

58 comments:

  1. I very much agree with you David that the different asters are lovely flowers. They bloom until the frost takes them. The New England Aster is very beautiful and I really like the color of it. The autumn colors you show are still so nice. The Great White Egret is a majestic bird.
    I'm sure you had a great time with your family.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since you like it so much, Marit, I will henceforth rename it Marit's Aster. Watch for the change in the field guides! Hugs and kisses - David

      Delete
    2. Haha David, but I will still look forward to seeing it! When will it be released? ;-)
      Hugs and kisses, Marit

      Delete
    3. I'll be sure to let you know as soon as I know!

      Delete
  2. Hello David,
    Beautiful series of photos.
    The leopard frog is very beautiful, I have never seen this species before.
    The colors in nature are beautiful and it's nice that you can do this together as a family, I think the great egret is great with the autumn colors.
    Also beautiful are the Canadian geese flying over.
    Beautiful purple flower, the New England Aster.
    I enjoyed your photos on your blog.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wondered what goes on in the heads of creatures that rely on camouflage to protect them: are they terrified that the slightest move will give them away, or are they smugly confident in their disguise?

    ReplyDelete

  4. Thank you (so much) for sharing such a wonderful day. Another wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful to be able to share your fabulous wildlife and natural habitiats with your family, David. I don't know where/how I have failed, but I have not managed to instil a love of wildlife in any of our family, although Lindsay takes a mild interest.

    Your (or should I say 'Miriam's) opening three shots are gorgeous, with the Leopard Frog having the 'Wow!' factor. I was then amused by the intrepid adventurers in the following image.

    Mike's message hits the spot perfectly!

    My very best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And my oldest grandson has joined the wildlife crew too, Richard.

      Delete
  6. Hari OM
    Family time cannot fail to be precious - all the better for a shared interest such as nature's beauty! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi David.

    How nice to be able to take such a trip with daughter and son-in-law.
    Beautiful flowers and birds.
    The frog is very beautiful.

    Greetings from Patricia.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Es una maravilla esa naturaleza que nos obsequia todos sus bienes y solamente nos pide a cambio que la cuidemos.
    Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've wondered what kind of camera equipment you use to get those fantastic photos you always have. Now I know. Your family photo is great. Have a great rest of the week David. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are looking at Andrew’s camera, Erika. We use a Canon PowerShot SX70. Pretty basic but it works well, and Miriam has really learned how to use it.

      Delete
  10. A great gathering of flora and fauna! I haven't seen any robins here since summer and yesterday I spied a junco that has returned to spend winter here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A wonderful day with family, and some beautiful areas to walk and discover. The photo of the heron in the marsh is spectacular.
    As fir the Canadian geese, while I love the sound and sight of them at the pond, I'm not nearly as enamoured withe their droppings on the pathways.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ...David, few things miss your keen eye!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a really beautiful picture of you three! Those asters are looking really gorgeous. Do you always have to bring all the gears when you are out in the nature?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends what we are looking for. On that day we were searching for late migrating shorebirds, which are often quite different and you need a telescope to tease apart the subtle differences in plumage between species. On a walk through woodland I have binoculars only and Miriam has her binoculars and camera.

      Delete
  14. the meadowhawk would look great on a Christmas tree, what a beautiful red.. the fly photos is amazing detail... the geese and egret, back to back, look like they are pacing off for a duel. on our beaches there is always wind and the egrets have those lazy frizzies fluttering in the breeze. what a great day to be out with family. its good your family shares your love of the woods and nature.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lots of beautiful sightings. The frog was amazing, I never seen one like that. What a grand day to spend with your family enjoying nature.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A beautiful day. A journey that was a visual joy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A beautiful day. A journey that was a visual joy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I always enjoy your posts and seeing the flora and fauna much of which is so different and much more plentiful compared where I live. However I do have a problem with geese which are the bane of our life in many parts of the Hebrides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect they feel the same way about humans, Graham.

      Delete
  19. Hello David
    The next generation of naturalists is here. Your little girl is all grown up.
    You're walking through a real forest.
    Très bonne journée David. Gros bisous à vous deux.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I share your enthusiasm for the Canada Geese when they are in flight - they always make themselves known and I just need to look up at the sky from my garden to see them flying over. At the lake I often see them landing on the water, it sure is a wonderfull sighting. I love those Northern Flickers and am always happy when I see and hear them near my home. Sometimes they even venture into my garden which is a highlight for me.
    And such a nice picture of you and your daughter and son-in-law. Spending time with our children is never wasted.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Family time in nature is pretty special! How wonderful to have that time with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It was worth the trip just for the egret(s). Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi David, good evening!
    what a beautiful description of a morning on Lake Columbia with your daughter Caroline and son in law Andrew.
    Serene, elegant, ideal, the most romantic of seasons begins there. I love autumn, the trees are filled with wonderful colors... reddish, brown and yellow, it´s also touching how you mention the history of conservation and how birds recovered from human exploitation.
    Your passion and respect for wildlife is inspiring, many regards to all of you, beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello David,
    It's nice when the whole family shares a love of nature, great conversations and talking shop are twice as much fun. I haven't been able to find a paper wasp myself, but in the photo it looks really huge.
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
  25. The asters are a simple flower and very pretty. Lovely photos and good to see your daughter and son in law too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi David - wonderful to see these and to share your walk around the lake and the wetlands - and I agree Mike's message is perfect - as too your 'Land Acknowledgement' paragraph at the bottom of your blog. I always love Michaelmas Daisies as we call the purple asters ... autumn is definitely here. Also great seeing you all together ... while good to note about your grandson following in the family footsteps ... so pleased for you - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello David.
    How nice to visit your daughter with her family.
    Beautiful series of photos you make.
    That leopard frog is a beautiful frog, never seen it before.
    Have a nice weekend, greetings Tinie

    ReplyDelete
  28. Really amazing place. A pleasure to watch the wonderful scenery and birds.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Salut David, how nice to meet your daughter and son in law, he looks very tall!

    A lovely set of photos. I am finding now it is cooling down it is getting much harder to find insects about, and as we are having almost continuous daily rain so going out to take photos is getting more difficult.

    I love that Leopard frog, it is beautiful. We had a common frog at our back door last night but it was dark and the photos I took are not very good to say the least of it. We have no water close by and we seldom see frogs, but I think with all the rain they are moving further afield.

    J'espère que tout va bien mon ami, bisous, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful Leopard frog...great series of photos once again..You two make a good team..
    Mike's message is perfect..Looks like a wonderful preserve to enjoy..
    Fun to be able to share it with family..Have a happy weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a beautiful family outing in every way! The blue of the sky is so intense and breathtaking. As always, I am in awe of Miriam's photographs and her subjects. And to be able to share it all with your loved ones just makes it all even better.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love all your super photos and the information...we have so many of the same flora and fauna here in our Forest preserves in NE Illinois, it was quite enjoyable. I had two leopard frogs in our tiny pond for about 3 years and then they disappeared. Thanks for visiting and your great share, joining your blog! Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  33. It's wonderful that Caroline was with you on this beautiful walk. Especially on a lovely, warm day. You sure saw a plethora of creatures from birds to bugs. I think my egret has moved on, but Harry remains. Love some of those bugs -- right where they belong!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi David, sorry I've had trouble accessing your blog from the link. I'm in now though. I like the Song Sparrow. Probably often overlooked, but a great image.

    ReplyDelete
  35. An excellent day in very good company. : )

    ReplyDelete
  36. Such a beautiful outing! I enjoyed your photos of birds, bugs, foliage, and humans.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hello David,
    Beautiful nature outing with your family. I love all the birds and the pretty Asters. The Leopard Frog is cute and I love the Flickers and the Egret. Thank you for linking up and sharing your critter post. Take care, have a great weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Your blog with all those photos gave me a wonderful nature moment. Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Your daughter and son-in-law make a beautiful couple. What a nice outing with your family! Don't know how you managed to carry that heavy camera equipment on your shoulder.

    ReplyDelete

  40. No hay nada mejor que el disfrute de la naturaleza y si añadimos familia lo mejor para pasar el día. Gracias siempre David por compartir tanta vida. Preciosas fotos.
    Os deseo un buen fin de semana.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  41. How lovely to spend time with your daughter and son-in-law.
    Lovely photographs you've shared, you saw a nice variety of critters.
    The Autumn colours are good to see too.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

  42. Exploring nature with family is wonderful. Your photos of birds, insects, and flowers are lovely. Northern Leopard Frog pic is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Impressive photos, as usual. Leopard frog is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  44. You have a wonderful family, David. It's nice to know that they are also enthusiasts and love nature. When I see geese flying away in October, I always feel sad because another year is ending. Maybe when the geese return it will be a calm year, who knows.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I love seeing your family photos and it's nice to have family along for these adventures. I love the small things you've seen and those Flickers in the tree! What a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  46. It must make your heart flutter to know your daughter enjoys nature as you do. What a gift you have passed on, David. The blue heron photo is my favorite today, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Thanks for stopping at my blog. I really enjoyed all your fabulous photos. A Dr I worked with for years is an avid birder and I often heard of his trips and how many lifer birds he spotted, so seeing your birds brought that back. It's so special that your daughter also enjoys being out with you.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I have yet to see any geese flying over and our fall asters are just now starting to open a few flowers. the ones in my yard are white or very pale lavender.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Me encanta que lo hayáis pasado bien, habéis hecho un precioso reportaje como siempre, una felicidad verlo. Abrazos para toda la familia.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Hi David, it was a great birding, undoubtedly. It's very good an outing with friends. Nice images with a fine text. I'm in the Andes right now, with an unusual snowy day. Saludos amigo.

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers