Sunday, October 08, 2023

Book Review - Terns of North America: A Photographic Guide - Princeton University Press


      Terns form the corps de ballet of the air, and this volume, with its superb range of photographs, many of them aerial shots, does justice to their grace and skill, to the sheer perfection of their mastery of the air.
     Found in the family Laridae, along with gulls and skimmers, within the order Charadriiformes,  terns more often than not have received short shrift in the literature. In recent years gull literature has proliferated, and many high quality books by distinguished authors have made gull watching (a pastime that can have its share of frustrations) both easier and more enjoyable, while simultaneously enabling birders to achieve a degree of accuracy  previously unattainable, especially when dealing with juvenile birds.
     Terns of North America accomplishes this for terns. The book is superbly put together, with excellent, informative text and a plethora of high grade images to illustrate the species. This is a serious guide, but all credit to Cameron Cox who peppers the text with humour. I smiled a lot, but actually burst into laughter when he said, "Everyone admires Martha Stewart - be like Martha and use all the insider trading information available to you." 
     The introductory section covers all the topics you would expect - Taxonomy, Identification, Life History, Migration, Conservation, and the all important and oft neglected, "How to use this guide." Do not skip the Introduction - you may think you know it all, but you don't! The section on moult, aging and feather wear, for example, will convey the nuances needed to up your game. A series of quizzes is very helpful and fun to do. Even getting the answers wrong will help you in the field to get it right.
     All the species regularly encountered in North America (19) are covered, as are the most frequent vagrants. Remember that the ranges of many birds are shifting and the vagrants of today may be the residents of tomorrow. Gain the skill to identify the strange tern that shows up on your favourite beach or lake, the confidence to call it, and bask in the recognition that goes with the first sighting of a species ever.
     It's a fine book, packed with information, well presented in every way. I will be using it often.

Terns of North America: A Photographic Guide - Princeton University Press
Cameron Cox 
Paperback - US$27.95/£22.00 - ISBN 9780691161877
208 pages - 350 colour illustrations - 7.5 x 9.5 inches (18.75 x 23.75 cm)
Publication date: 24 October, 2023

David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

41 comments:

  1. Sounds a good book. Martha, wasn't she in jail?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was indeed. Maybe she warmed the cot for Trump.

      Delete
    2. Ha! Your reply gave me a laugh!

      Delete
  2. Not sure if I have ever seen terns over here...would probably take them as seagulls if I ever saw one before...they are very beautiful! Love your new header, David.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    Another great book, I love the Terns. Happy Sunday, have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Muy buen libro, para los amantes de la Naturaleza.
    Feliz domingo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review, David. The Terns are so beautiful. They are not around here. I live too far from the coast.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would probably find some species on large lakes too, Marit, if there are any close by. Hugs and kisses - David

      Delete
  6. ...the cover designer did a fabulous job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had Terns on our lake and in the State Park near by. They are beautiful birds and now with this book I can learn more about them and perhaps identify the Terns I have already seen. Your book reviews are getting ahead of me. I still await the last book I ordered and and am still trying to get through the insect book ... but I am loving it all and it is so nice to know someone who can point me to these wonderful books. I am still reading my mysteries that I love too ... Oh my, life is good :) Except I tried finding a little arrow over the comments sections in my blog and there is no such thing. I think you lost comment is doomed. So sorry :(

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to bear with me, Andrea because I have a couple more book reviews coming up. I feel a special privilege to be a PUP reviewer and I set about reading the books as soon as I receive them so that I can post the reviews to my blog in a timely fashion.

      Delete
  8. somewhere in my blog, before i learned to use labels, there is a flock of these that we saw on the beaches where we were wandering with my new camera. years ago.. I was so excited because I had never seen them before. I was out with my birder friend Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found it, are these Terns? https://snapperone.blogspot.com/2015/04/birds-at-longboat-beach.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a wonderful range of species, and great pictures too. I would really have enjoyed being with you that day.

      Delete
  10. I love watching terns fly. Beautiful, graceful birds.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love watching terns when we're out in the boat. Your word ballet is perfect to describe them. My computer's word correct wants to change the spelling to turns, obviously the programmers are not bird watchers. Smile. I didn't know there were so many kinds in North America. My favorite at the royal terns we saw in the everglades. They have a lot of personality. Have a great rest of your weekend. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was profoundly affected by "Migration" by Charlotte McConaghy. Quite dystopian but all about the terns. They are the harbingers of our planet.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a good read and a nice cover photo for the book I like your new header, it's a beauty, David.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So many books, so little time. Thanks for this as always stellar review.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I never see terns here but I think they are beautiful. It sounds like a lovely book. Is your new header from Vancouver?

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds a good book and I do like the cover photograph ... talking of photographs, I too like your new header banner/photograph.

    Wishing you a good week ahead.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi there, David!
    thanks for the good reading recommendations,
    i don't know this graceful bird.
    Wish you a nice week ahead! Bisous

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have not seen terns in a long time....It looks like a beautiful book!...Happy Thanksgiving!...Abrazotes, Marcela

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice to hear that it’s written with humor.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am lucky in that I frequently see Common Terns as the twist (and shout!) over the many flooded gravel pits and drainage channels in the fens. Just occasionally other terns pass through on their annual migrations. Charismatic birds that can be enjoyed by everyone, whether they have "inside information" or not.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a good review David.
    Terns are also found here, I think they are beautiful birds.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  22. Terns are beautiful birds. their flight is wonderful to watch. Here are The common tern (Sterna hirundo) and The Arctic tern (Sterna paradisaea)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm not privy to ant insider trading so I guess I won't be like Martha..That's a good thing.
    We only have Terns here at the beach..It's been a while...
    Enjoy your week..

    ReplyDelete
  24. Otro libro que me encanta. Abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Querido David después de leer atentamente tu reseña no tengo duda de que es un gran libro a tener en cuenta. Abrazos y besos para ti y para Míriam

    ReplyDelete
  26. You always show us the best books. Have a nice evening.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks like a great book. The inclusion of humor is nice, too! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you for sharing this new book, looks like a great one for the list.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am wondering if I have ever seen a tern. I will have to see if we have them in my area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there are any reasonably large inland lakes you will probably have Caspian Terns and Common Terns, and if there are extensive marshes Black Terns (exquisite birds) are possible too. Good luck!

      Delete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers