Friday, September 29, 2023

Vancouver Island - Part 2

08 September, 2023 
Clover Point - Goldstream Provincial Park -  Somenos Marsh

Clover Point, Victoria, BC

     We checked at Clover Point to see what might have changed since we had stopped by the day before.


     What a thoroughly gorgeous spot this is.


     Who in their right mind would not look forward to starting their day here?
     A Heermann's Gull (Larus heermanni) would perhaps agree with us, although breakfast was on its mind more than scenic appreciation.


     In my experience Black Oystercatcher (Haematopus bachmani) is one of the emblematic birds of Clover Point, and it was not long before we found one.


     Selwyn was quite taken with them, and I have to agree that oystercatchers are an extremely interesting family. Unfortunately we have no chance of seeing them in Ontario, but it certainly makes a trip to the coasts exciting.


     There were always large aggregations of California Gulls (Larus californicus) and Glaucous-winged Gulls (Larus glaucescens) loafing on the shore.


     We were excited to see otters emerging from the sea to gambol on the rocks. Initially, I thought they were Sea Otters (Enhydra lutris) but an examination of their attenuated shape clearly revealed them to be North American River Otters (Lontra canadensis).


     I had always associated River Otters with fresh water, which hitherto was the only habitat where I had observed them, but they are at home in coastal salt waters, feeding on crabs.


     They entertained us for several minutes.


Goldstream Provincial Park, Langford, BC


     Goldstream is a wonderful place to visit, with vestiges of magnificent temperate old growth forest, and nature on display at every turn.



     A Turkey Vulture (Cathartes aura) was content to catch a few rays and survey the world below, all the while scanning for lunch, no doubt.


     There were Blackberry (genus Rubus) bushes all around, overflowing with fruit, and this leaf with its ornamentation of water drops looked exceptionally appealing.


     We came upon a sunny clearing, where several birds teased us with momentary glimpses, perniciously concealing themselves behind leaves that were bigger than they were.

Orange-crowned Warbler (Leiothlypis celata)

Wilson's Warbler (Cardellina pusilla)

     A Sooty Fox Sparrow (Passerella unalaschcensis) is a species unique to the northwest and I always look forward to seeing it.


     It is an exceptionally attractive bird in my estimation.
     You would think that the snag below would have harboured a few woodpeckers, or nuthatches, or creepers, but even with four pairs of eyes scanning its surface, nary a bird was revealed.


     This common flower fly (genus Syrphus) was exceptionally attractive, I thought.



     Never one to decline a challenge or resist temptation, Selwyn was drawn like iron filings to a magnet, to this hollow stump.


     I think there is a special pathway in his brain devoted to the eternal re-creation of a mischievous childhood!


     He almost pitched forward in a headlong,  unceremonious trajectory to the ground, but quickly caught himself and proceeded with aplomb.
     Victory was shortly his. How smug he looked in the face of Victoria's remonstrations!


     He had earned his gesture of triumph.


     In the meantime, Victoria proved that there is no limit to the way that a wife can roll her eyes!
     Was this lady's shirt worn in honour of Selwyn do you think?


     Herb Robert (Geranium robertianum) is always a delight, especially when one is far from home.


     The view across the water near the Visitors Centre is quite glorious.


     Bee Flies (family Bombyliidae) are difficult to narrow down to species.


     If I am not mistaken, the insect below is a type of Short-horned Grasshopper (family Acrididae).


     Whenever I come across ants I am reminded of one of the greatest of all biologists, E.O. Wilson, and wish that he were still with us to impart his particular brand of wisdom.

Wood, Mound and Field Ants (genus Formica)

     Our views of Steller's Jay (Cyanocitta stelleri) were always through the gloom of the Pacific rainforest foliage, adding an atmospheric quality to the experience, but mitigating against good photographs.


     Spiders' webs are veritable paradigms of matchless construction, while simultaneously evoking great beauty. This one is probably the work of an Orbweaver (family Araneidae).


     Eastern Grey Squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis) has found its way to the west, even onto Vancouver Island, and was commonly seen.


     Dark-eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis) comes in various forms, most of which are identifiable subspecies, but much taxonomic refinement awaits the ultimate designation of Oregon Junco, which for the present is simply known as part of the "Oregon group”, without benefit of a subspecific epithet. (For a good discussion of this form, see Rick Wright (2019).


     It is a very attractive little bird and kept us company while we ate lunch in the picnic area. 

Somenos Marsh, Duncan, BC

     When we left Goldstream Park we decided to drive up to Somenos Marsh since we were already half way there.


     The first bird we saw, one of very few as it turned out, was a Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus).


     The west has been exceedingly dry this year, catastrophically so in some areas where destructive wildfires continue to burn, and the marsh contained not a drop of water, nor the waterfowl that might be associated with it.


     Rose Spirea (Spiraea douglasii) provided a welcome splash of colour among the greens and browns.


     A couple of Audubon's Warblers (Setophaga auduboni) seemed not to have been unduly affected by the drought, and were finding food without difficulty.


     We found the pattern on this leaf particularly appealing, but despite my best efforts I have been unable to identify it, nor the seed that is resting on it.


     A small flock of Cedar Waxwings (Bombycilla cedrorum) were feeding on berries, and flycatching too. They were mainly juveniles, but a couple of adult chaperones were there as well.



     It had been a great day, but we had to work for our birds - not necessarily a bad thing. We piled into the car and headed back to Victoria to wash up and get ready for dinner.
      Let's see what tomorrow brings.
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

53 comments:

  1. ...the Sea Otter is a treat that I have never seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the text states, Tom, they are River Otters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great outings and your photos are always a treat to see. The river otters are a favorite! Take care, have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the look of Gold Stream, my kind of place. I do think Selwyn needs a shirt to match his wife's shirt. ha ha... I would never climb in that hole A. might be critters in there. B. might get stuck and cant get out.... Be wary of the otters, per our news this week, a rabid otter attacked a man in his yard and bit him 41 times, ran off down the street to attack a dog that was being walked by a woman and child... they did come and put it down, but he has to take the shots. I did not know otters can get rabies. We have otters at Bray Park where we walk Beau but it has been several years since i last sighted one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s not Selwyn’s wife. The lady just happened to be passing by and she agreed to let us take her picture.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful series of photos David.
    The Otters are very nice, but I also like the squirrel very much.
    The red squirrel is found here, but also the gray squirrel, but that is really very rare here.
    I also really like the views.
    I wish you a good weekend.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nature in all its glory! I love it. I was in Vancouver, BC in March 1994, staying with friends from Thailand. My Thai girlfriend is married to a Canadian and later became Canadian, herself. She is a translator, and he is a retired college professor. They have 3 sons.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You visited some wonderful places again, and you always see a lot of everything. That spider's web is huge, I find the webs often really beautiful, but I am still scared of spiders! And I would NEVER climb into an unknown hole or cavity, your friend has god nerves! Have a great weekend, take care, Hugs, Valerie xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was surprised to see the River Otter. Selwyn is a lot braver than I would be climbing the tree stump. I would have taken a photo and be satisfied. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is unable to resist a challenge.

      Delete
    2. That deadly climb into the giant tree stump was worth it. I became an overnight hero. Some one challenged Victoria to do it and she refused. Being a supportive husband I had to take her place. Or maybe just being in the presence of such a fun four in a splendid environment can change your hormone.

      Delete
  9. Was the climb out of the hollow stump, easier than the climb in? The photos made me chuckle.
    Wonderful photos, though the ants creep me out. There were far too many of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Over eight billion humans polluting and destroying the planet and there are too many tiny ants that do nothing but good?

      Delete
  10. Of everything you saw I would have been most excited to watch the otters! They are endless entertainment--like puppies and kittens--lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. water birds on the whole don't do a whole lot for me but the otters were fun. and of course all the other delights you showed us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful stump! I like the pictures of the otters and the spider's web.
    Great post about that special bird area.

    P.S.: at the moment in Italy we are dealing with the Oriental hornet (Vespa orientalis). It is an insect species, which can be found in Southwest Asia. It seems it arrived in the Italian port of Genoa by container ships.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Invasive insects are a serious problem the world over.

      Delete
  13. Adulting is severely overrated. Otters? And other marvels? Colour me envious. And thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hari Om
    That water-rimmed leaf is a work of art... then again, so are each and every thing presented here - including the big kids! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Though you "worked for the birds", there were more than yesterday. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the different gulls, ones we don’t see here. The otters…beauties! The Stellar Jay is a beauty. I look forward to seeing more of this trip.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How are you, David! oh my, i am once again ecstatic by the extraordinary photograph you are publishing of the seagulls in the blue bay, it is a postcard vision. I think it's visual poetry.
    Your friend has the heart of a child and love seeing him enjoy so much, it's fun! :)
    Wishing you a great weekend plenty of adventures , I say goodbye with a big flying hug to Ontario 🤗

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like a great place! I would love to watch the otters.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Always a pleasure to visit and see these amazing nature photos David. A treat to see them all and those otters are fun. I liked Hada’s comment where she said “visual poetry”. A perfect description!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I always enjoy watching the antics of our Oystercatchers, though it's seldom a quiet or restful occupation. After centuries of persecution by otter-hounds and more recently escaped (or released) mink, otters are making a slow and steady comeback here and anecdotal evidence seems to suggest that they are becoming less shy and nocturnal in their habits. I hope Selwyn managed to get out again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mink are very efficient predators, but once released, I am sure they are difficult to control. Glad to hear that otters are recovering.

      Delete
  21. Hi David.

    Lots of beautiful things to see.
    I really like the Turkey Vulture.
    The Otters was really great.

    Greetings from Patricia.

    ReplyDelete
  22. How beautifully you write, David, and your photos combined with the text almost make me feel as if I were there, as I long to be. I'd be afraid if I got in the stump that I wouldn't be able to get out!

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was amazed at how quickly and easily Selwyn got out.

      Delete
  23. If there are otters, the place is preserved.

    ReplyDelete
  24. B.C. always turns out to be a great visit.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gorgeous pictures !
    Nature is amazing...
    Have a lovely weekend !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  26. Delightful series of photos, David.
    I would love to watch the otters.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a fabulous trip, David. I must say, I'm especially fond of the seals, but you saw some glorious birds. Those oyster catchers were fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are no seals in this post, Jeanie. Do you mean otters?

      Delete
  28. Siempre interesantes y bonitos tus paseos. Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  29. You are right, it is an absolutely gorgeous place. Wonderful photos. Thanks for making my day.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Fantastic second part of a fantastic tour through an area impressive in its majesty, with a pleasant landscape and a unique and beautiful biodiversity. The images that accompany your story of the trip are great. I'm surprised by the resemblance it has to the southern Andean forests. Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a delight to look at all these birds and other wildlife you show us in your photos, because if I were there I doubt that I would recognize any of them. I was just talking about Victoria on another blog – about high teas. The last high tea I remember was at the hotel where we stayed, called The Empress, in the harbor I think. Their tea was very nice. I visited Vancouver Island about 3 or 4 times with my late husband. One time we drove to Tofino and visited a rain forest park nearby. I had never been in a rain forest park and it was a revelation – you would have discovered plenty of birds there, I bet. I was planning another trip there but my husband disease had progressed too much, and we could not go. I may still go there alone some day. I’ll look for birds this time…

    ReplyDelete
  32. You are seeing parts of Vancouver Island I never saw. The company I was with when I went there were not bird lovers like me so they opted to go to the gardens , and very little sign of birds. So you have opened my eyes to a place I would like to return to with someone who would share my interest in wildlife. I love the oystercatchers ... I have seen them only in pictures but they are oddly beautiful. And the river Otters ... what a treat. We had them on our Chain of Lakes when we lived on one of the lakes. They were mostly in the channels between lakes, but fun to watch. Your Turkey Vulture is a bit lazy with his wings only partially spread, but a handsome specimen indeed. The Sooty Fox Sparrow is beautiful as well as cute. That is the first I have even heard of them so that is a treat. And I have never seen a Flower Fly either so that was a treat as well. As for your friend Selwyn ... good for him. I would have been tempted to climb into that trunk as well, though not sure I would have accomplished it ... so yes, he earned his gesture of triumph. And I love the lady's shirt ... I bet she is fun to be with :) So much beauty in this post ... I love a good spider web and this one is exceptional. I always look for the spider probably hiding in plain view so that her pray won't be aware of the danger they are in and her own predation doesn't become an issue, but, I rarely spot them. The Dark Eyed Juncos visit in our area every winter and I agree they are a delight to watch. It is sad that the marsh was dry and I don't want to think about the effect it has on the wildlife and of course wild fires follow that kind of drought and decimate everything ... so sad. I love the Rose Spirea and the Cedar Waxwings. This was truly a wonderful post, David.
    And I don't think you a snob for loving only classical music. I love classical and have many disks that I have worn thin ... but I really find I love all forms of music and often listen to my favorite bands on blue tooth in my car. My latest favorites are guitar players (three different guitars and a drummer) playing mostly what I would call jazz and funk. Since I love to dance it is hard to sit still when I am listening to them. I think I should get one of your lady's shirts, right? Enough said, David. It feels good to be back in the saddle and yours is one of my favorite places to be. I hope you are enjoying some lovely fall weather ...

    Andrea @ rom the Sol


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you, Andrea. I hope that one day you will be able to return to Vancouver Island. It’s a wonderful part of Canada.

      Delete
  33. Hello David, wow what a place this is! Fantastic landscapes and the birds and animals must have been just amazing to watch. That Vulture so amazing! But my hart goes out to and wish to see them once in my life are the Otters. Just love them. I could watch them for hours like you did.
    Warm regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
  34. I could have sworn I commented on those oystercatchers. Maybe I forgot to hit publish. At any rate, it looks like another wonderful day! What a terrific vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  35. ... sight of contentment after reading this post... : )

    ReplyDelete
  36. ... sigh of contentment.... no "t"

    ReplyDelete
  37. One of my memories of river otters is seeing them play in the Oxtongue River in Algonquin.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Selwyn's "goofiness" is endearing and the pleasure on his face speaks volumes.
    Oh those Oystercatchers, I like them so much and always delight when I see them at the coast. The Northern Flicker is another favorite of mine. I always enjoy when they return to my neighborhood at the end of the summer.

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers