Friday, September 15, 2023

Book Review - Octopuses & Their Relatives: A Natural History of Cephalopods - Princeton University Press

 


     I suspect that for many, their only association with cephalopods, until recently, was the calamari on their plate. That seems to have changed in recent years and there is an emerging fascination with octopuses and squid. This transformation seems to have occurred with Sy Montgomery's book The Soul of an Octopus, published in 2015. Popular media interest and You Tube videos have followed. 
     In fact, there is much to garner attention about these ancient creatures, and Donna Staaf has written a very fine book about these intelligent and interesting inhabitants of the oceans of the world. They vary in size from tiny organisms that can squeeze into a discarded snail shell, to giant squid 13 metres long. Gigantism has always fascinated humans, and awed and terrified us too, so it is not surprising that many lurid tales have been written about predatory octopuses victimizing innocent humans and dragging ships to a watery doom.
     The truth is that cephalopods are beautiful creatures, capable of instant camouflage in many species, and occupying different zones of the ocean, preying on some fellow inhabitants and providing food for others. Albatrosses, for example, are almost totally dependent on squid for their survival. Many cetaceans cover huge distances to feed on squid.
     The book covers every habitat where cephalopods may be found - Beaches, Tidepools, Sandflats and Mudflats; Seagrass Beds, Kelp Forests and Rocky Reefs; Coral Reefs; Open Ocean; Midwater; Deep Sea; Antarctica and the Arctic. As you might expect, over such a diversity of habitats there are myriad anatomical and behavioural adaptations, all of which are covered in exquisite detail in the book.
     The science is explained in an easily comprehensible form, and if you have never had even a passing acquaintance with biology or physics, you will have no difficulty absorbing it all, and getting caught up with the exquisiteness of creatures you had perhaps not thought about before.
     Detailed species accounts provide essential information, a range map and a glorious full colour picture. In fact the entire book, page after page, is populated with stunning photographs, some so incredible you wonder how they were ever taken.
     It distresses me that with every account of the natural world today one cannot ignore the sinister and increasingly unconscionable outcomes humans are having on the planet. Predatory fishing practices, both legal and illegal, decimate species, with disgraceful "by catch" of organisms other than those that are the targets of long lines, and trawl nets that could envelop cities. The ocean floor is dragged beyond recognition and the unique and irreplaceable biosphere for benthic organisms is destroyed. Nets and other gear (ghost gear) discarded by trawlers consign numerous species, including mammals as large as whales to a slow, lingering death. Plastic pollution continues to rain down on the oceans with no end in sight. Currently there are plans afoot to mine the oceans and drill for oil. Staaf does not shy away from these issues and what, when all is said and done, is the complete lack of willingness to tackle the problems. If you think for a moment of the catastrophic consequences of poaching on land, just imagine the virtual impossibility of controlling or eliminating it on the high seas. And we haven't even touched on the warming of the oceans....


      This is a really excellent book. Please take the time to read it and get to know some of Planet Earth's most absorbing creatures. You'll be glad you did.

Niggly bits -

Page 20 - "First defiuite ceph fossil" - I assume this should read "First definite cephalopod fossil."

Page 13 - Staaf says, "I'm contractually obligated to take a stand on plurals.......squid and cuttlefish tend to be their own plurals." On page 28 she then talks of glass squids and on page 154 of Oegopsid squids. Squid is used everywhere else in the book.

Page 59 - "This works excellently on smooth glasl" should obviously say "smooth glass.



The Lives of Octopuses and Their Relatives: A Natural History of the Cephalopods - Princeton University Press
Danna Staaf
Hardcover - US$35.00 - ISBN: 9780691244303
288 pages - 7.5 x 9.5 inches (18.75 x 23.75 cm)
150+ colour illustrations
Publishing date: 19 September, 2023   
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

50 comments:

  1. ...in Maui I would see men with spears in the shallow water hunting octopuses for their dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We should be protecting our oceans and all the sea creatures. Great review and book.
    Take care, have a great day and happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cephalopods are also pretty smart, especially the octopus. This sounds like a great book. There is a film on Netflix (if you have Netflix) called Octopus My Friend. Have you seen it? It is really a great film. I think this group of animals is really fascinating. I also see Sy Montgomery has a new book coming out I think next week on Turtles. I bet that it will be interesting. Have a super FRiday and weekend ahead David. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t have Netflix, but perhaps it will be available on You Tube at some point.

      Delete
  4. Octopus, squid and cuttlefish are my favourite! Unfortunately, we can't find fresh caught..

    ReplyDelete
  5. the cover photo is stunning, and he/she is truly beautiful. I would not want to meet these squid in their natural habitat, but would love to see the photos..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ever since I learned a bit about the high intelligence and problem solving ability of these animals, I've stopped feeling worthy of eating them! They're to be protected.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the octopus is the most fascinating of creatures.
    Looks like this book could have used better proofreading, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice book review, David. I have no knowledge of octopuses. Yes, the sea must be taken care of.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello David, a facinating animal and highly intelligant. And again the outcome is that humans are destroiyng what is most precious to the planet.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reconozco que esta especie, la conozco tan solo de forma culinaria,
    Feliz fin de semana.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm constantly astonished at how much is missed in proofing reading a book. Also I do (showing my age) prefer Octopi as a plural, but that's my Latin (no longer taught now, sadly). I also loved My Octopus, the film. Yes, David the entire planet is being destroyed for greed, and no one when you think about it, is in charge. Capitalism run amok.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha. Lo and behold, you are writing about octopuses. Ties in with my post about "The Amazing Race." Interesting book review.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A good book review, David. This book would be a good introduction for me to learn about octopuses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know when you have read it, Bill, and a I will send the test!

      Delete
  14. I suspect that this will not be a book that ends up on my bookshelf, David, but I am sure that it is very interesting.

    Thank you for continuing to draw attention to the woeful state the planet is in, due to abuse by the human race. To most, the symptoms are most visible on land, but I believe the condition of the oceans is far worse than that of the land-masses.

    My very best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  15. Despite the proof reading issues this sounds like yet another VERY worthwhile book. And yet another damning indictment of our species greed and wanton destruction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s a terrific book, Sue. The proof reading omissions irritate me but they don’t alter the quality of the text and the pictures.

      Delete
  16. People who hunt octopuses for their soup give sea's creatures for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi there!
    oh, yes, a while ago I read that octopuses are considered intelligent creatures,
    they can manipulate objects and even solve problems to obtain rewards, how wonderful the diversity of the planet is, we must take great care of it.
    Greetings, dear friend and hope you have a beautiful weekend full of rewarding
    activities ! ع˖⁺ ☁⋆ ୭ 🕊.⋆。⋆ ༶ ⋆˙⊹☁♡🦋»•» 🌺 «•«

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think this is a very good book David.
    I think octopuses are very smart.
    People should stop getting everything they can from the sea.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi David - they are amazing creatures ... we know so little - but dragging the ocean floor is iniquitous ... they've started protecting the kelp forests along the Sussex coast, as too marine conservation. I'd heard of the film 'My Octopus Teacher' - a South African film - which I gather is an amazing enlightening film about the life of an octopus. It is on YouTube an 18 minute section ... Craig Foster's film is based on the kelp forest waters in the southern Cape. I'd love to see and read this book - now I must go and see the film. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks fascinating! I am sure I read a book years ago--I think it was a memoir--about a woman who was going through a rough patch in her life and went somewhere to stay and ended up working in an aquarium with an octopus. I cannot remember the name of the book and searches get me nowhere--the Sy Montgomery book always comes up but I would have read the book I'm thinking of before 2015. Maybe I just dreamed about it and such a book doesn't actually exist :-). Anyway, these really are incredible creatures that I would love to know more about. Thanks for this excellent review.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I remember reading a book about octopuses a few years ago - it might have been the one you mentioned. I'm always puzzled by the plurals of birds; somehow "four Snipe" sounds better than "four Snipes", whereas it has to be "Blackbirds" when referring to more than one.

    ReplyDelete
  22. In ancient days (like 50 years ago) there was a job called editing, and the proofs of a book would be read aloud to someone with a good eye who would catch virtually every boo-boo like the ones you noted. Not any more! A book is only “keyboarded” once by the author, whose mistakes can be preserved even if there is what used to be called a light edit. I wonder if there will be an AI improvement — or more likely if bots will get into the process and introduce nonsense in place of simple errors!

    Thanks for the intriguing and thoughtful review. Yes, the loss of habitat for all our fellow creatures is concerning, even for mosquitos though they seem to be doing fine around me.

    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I don't know a lot about the octupus but NPR had a couple of fascinating stories about them this summer. This book looks quite illuminating. You do write marvelous reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You always do such good book reviews. I confess the pictures of the large ones terrify me and I wouldn't want to be in the water with them. Hubby loves calamari, I usually eat just one piece. Rubbery too me; but then I feel that way about many types of fish and sea food. A href="https://4ccccs.blogspot.com/2023/09/sherbet-blanket-outlander-exercise-oh-my.html">Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are truly amazing creatures. Your review brings to mind one of my favorite fiction reads of the past year, "Remarkably Bright Creatures" by Shelby Van Pelt. the main character of the novel was an octopus.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great book and another great review! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  27. We should protect octopuses more. Here there is a ruthless hunt for these animals, especially by poachers.
    The Coast Guard must continually intervene to defend these marine creatures.
    I suggest a beautiful movie: "Octopus my friend".

    ReplyDelete
  28. David, thank you for your smart and insightful review of the book on cephalopods. They live so far and so deep. Only squid are caught in shallow water. This is usually the case in the Far East. In films, octopuses are always aggressive and scary. I love squid tentacles.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Querido David me alegra de poder pasar a visitarte y decirte que os tengo en mi corazón y que mi tardanza en visitarte es porque con el móvil me cuesta mucho y la salud de mi madre me tuvo muy ocupada y sin ánimo para nada.
    Este libro parece realmente interesante. Hace unos años no era difícil ir a las rocas de las playas y ver pulpos en los agujeros, son seres increíbles. Un fuerte abrazo para ti y para Míriam.

    ReplyDelete
  30. they are such intelligent and fascinating creatures. I just commented on another post about the 7 deadly sins which are debatable. the real sin is what we humans are doing to this planet and it's other inhabitants.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Octopuses are intelligent and complex creatures, and lately, I've been feeling guilty eating them. These are fascinating creatures that I would love to know more about🐙

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you can convince your local library to stock the book, Veronica.

      Delete
  32. Me encantaría leerlo, pero si no está traducido en español no puedo. Abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Another book about my Favs...sea creatures..I found the errors that you found amazing..actually a bit disturbing..so unusual..Do we not have editors any longer??
    Thank you for another great review..I always feel like I have read the book after I read your reviews..

    ReplyDelete
  34. These errors are disturbing for sure, especially from a distinguished publisher like Princeton University Press.

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is a very interesting book to me!....I have to admit that I love to eat octopus, squid and cuttlefish....they are delicious... ..Abrazotes, Marcela

    ReplyDelete
  36. Another very interesting post...and by the way, I'd love to have a slice or three of the bread in the previous post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Sounds like a good book to read, but for the spelling mistakes, shouldn't happen.

    ReplyDelete
  38. don’t understand the lack of spellcheck in a published book. And yes, we are destroying our oceans, as we are destroying just about everything else.

    You asked about the girls on my blog. I assume they are Mennonites because we have many Mennonites in our area. They have been here longer than most groups. They just haven’t changed with the times.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Many thanks for your review.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers