Thursday, August 24, 2023

Book Review - Elemental: How Five Elements Changed Earth's Past and Will Shape Our Future - Princeton University Press

 


     As humans around the world face the consequences of our historical profligacy, with climatic catastrophe occurring at an ever increasing rate, more and more prescriptive books are being written, with impassioned pleas to tackle the issue of global warming to escape a terrifying future for all life on Earth. The science is solid, the path forward obvious; societal and (especially) political will, however, are often seriously lacking. But make no mistake, we are perilously close to the brink.
     Stephen Porder has written an important account of how the five fundamental elements of life on Earth - carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen and phosphorus - have shaped the past and have the ability, if used wisely, to mould the future in a way that will sustain a healthy, rich lifestyle without jeopardizing our very survival.
     Porder writes with precision, style, clarity and logic. His prose reminds me somewhat of Richard Dawkins, no mean wordsmith himself, and in the same manner as Dawkins he takes the reader through concepts, both basic and challenging, in a step-by-step fashion that is easy to follow. Furthermore, perhaps like me you will be left with the feeling that Porder is the very epitome of a "nice guy" - the sort you'd love to have dinner with. For a scientist to convey important information, yet leave the reader with that impression seems to me quite remarkable, and it makes it all the more likely you will pay heed to the message.
     The energy we need to sustain our modern life style is fully available, without burning carbon (the root of all our problems), p. 76 - "If we rapidly transition from carbon-based energy, an option available to us but not to our cyanobacterial or plant predecessors, Earth will continue to warm, but it will remain fairly recognizable. If, however, we continue as we have been, the world really won't be recognizable."
     Please get that last statement imprinted on your brain. The world will not be recognizable!
     Porder offers a way forward, filled with optimism and driven by consumers of energy, by regular folks, by you and me; how I wish I could share his optimism! When one has to listen over and over again to the tendentious hubris of climate-denying politicians and conspiracy theorists, it is not easy to sustain hope for the future. I devoutly hope that I am wrong.
     

     I don't think that I have ever before turned to the Acknowledgements when reviewing a book, but I am compelled to do so this time around. Phoebe, Porder's daughter was the inevitable "victim" of her father's intensity over this pressing issue and "By the time she had reached sixth grade, Phoebe had heard several hour-long seminars about these topics at her school, on a trip to Antarctica, and during various monologues at the dinner table. Her patience with me and all things sustainability occasionally wears thin, but her innate curiosity usually wins out." 
     Don't stop learning from your dad, Phoebe. we are going to need you - and many other Phoebes too. Perhaps you can succeed where we have failed so miserably. It's the only hope we have.


Elemental: How Five Elements Changed Earth's Past and Will Shape Our Future - Princeton University Press
Stephen Porder
Hardcover - US$27.95 - ISBN 978069177298
240 pages - 5.5 x 8.5 inches (13.75 x 21.25 cm)
15 black-and-white illustrations
Publication Date: 12 September, 2023
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

44 comments:

  1. Thank you for the intresting book review, David. Yes, hope is the only thing we have left for this planet, but I fear for it's future. Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    An important book... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...the earth will continue, but will we?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's becoming a rhetorical question, Tom.

      Delete
  4. Your reviews continue to impress me! Another important read, it seems, and readable, from the sound of your review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Human beings have been depending on nature which provides us with everything we need to survive...yet we don't take care of it. Very sad. Thank you for another wonderful book review, David.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not sure the earth will continue and I know i am not much longer for the earth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an important book to read. Thanks for sharing the review. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am scared for my granddaughters. What have we done to their future? If only everyone would embrace the science and get on board to change the trajectory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there’s a way to ruin a good thing we’ll find it.

      Delete
  9. Interesting review. I see all the pictures of wildfires, dry rivers, horrifying storms, etc., and I feel sad and almost helpless. Right now my county is in a drought, and the county to the north of us has implemented water restrictions. Unfortunately, one way that people hold on to their sense of equilibrium is to deny what is happening.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This brings back memories of my long ago class in high school chemistry which turned out to be a lot more fascinating than I had thought it to be. A talented teacher made it so. I like how the title cover of the book cleverly points to the five essential elements.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We need an optimistic way out and I hope he is right. This book sounds very accessible -- and an important read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately optimism and realism are not the same thing.

      Delete
  12. Humanity will learn--but will it be too late? I do wonder about that a lot...since I was a kid. I pray the youth of today will be smarter and wiser. This sounds like a great book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another wonderful review, David. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks David - I'd love to read this ... but will keep it on the back-burner ... it is published here in November 2023. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  15. Buena reseña querido amigo. Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you. Books like this one give me a tiny smidgeon of hope, but it is almost drowned by fear. We are dreadfully slow learners.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Many thanks for this book review.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for this very important review David, a very educational read.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Here again me. I wrote with my other profile because today nothing works for me, I feel that Mercury is retrograde, David.
    I hope that now my commentary can be seen with the appropriate profile...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hallelujah, cheers, i think internet is finally working! XD

    ReplyDelete
  21. When we have to rely on the will of politicians, you can be sure that you are in trouble! Add book on to (already too large) to be read pile! Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds an intersting book one should read David.

    ReplyDelete
  23. But do people actually listen to "nice guys"; the way people vote at elections suggests not. In the meantime I'll read this important book with fingers firmly crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  24. As long as humans are still all about making money, they will destroy the world.
    Conspiracy theorists and politicians also participate in this.
    It doesn't get any better, the generations that come after us will be left with the damage.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  25. The only 'social medium' that I participate in other than Blogger, David, is Twitter (I refuse to call it 'X'). I find Twitter to be a useful source of information as to what the 'good guys' are doing, but it also exposes me to the self-serving, climate-change denying morons who polute social media with their drivel. I'm beginning to think that we are doomed.

    On that happy note - best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  26. De las medidas que se adopten, depende la continuación de nuestra civilización.
    Feliz fin de semana

    ReplyDelete
  27. Why can't we learn to take care of the things that sustain us??? I fear for the generations of the future...Enjoy your weekend, David

    ReplyDelete
  28. You get some pretty amazing books to read. And I guessed these 5 too. When I taught the kids the 6 most important elements for a living thing (add sulfur for protein structure) I used to have them come up with a little saying to remember them. Right now I can't remember the one I used to teach. That's scary since I thought what I taught was so part of my mind after 36 years.
    OK, enough about my brain (and I'm sure it will come to me at like 2 AM when no one, including me will care-smile.) And we do need to hear something positive about saving our planet. This book sounds really interesting. Hope your week is going well. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  29. An important book on a current problem.
    Thank you for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great review and book. It feels good to have some hope! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  31. humans are doomed. those with the power to make the hard and abrupt changes won't, makes me think of all the sci fi books I've read where humans destroyed the surface of the planet and gone underground like ants in a warren.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was reading recently where some are starting to advocate for underground housing to escape the heat. Good luck with that in floods and earthquakes.

      Delete
  32. Everytime I think we've moved in the right direction, there's a politician (usually Republican) who sends us back 12 steps.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  33. The problem is that we, developed and developing countries, give everything for granted.
    Great book review❗

    ReplyDelete
  34. Esperemos que no sea tarde para cambiar. Cuando nos concienciremos que así estamos destruyendo. Actuemos para que el mundo Sí sea reconocible.
    Buen domingo para vosotros.Gracias David.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Nature fights with people or people fight with nature. People will lose.

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers