Friday, June 23, 2023

Uta Strelive - Master Carver

      Cast your mind back, if you will, to the days when the GDR (or East Germany) festered in the mediocrity of stern communist ideology, with austere grey buildings rivalled only by the despondent mien of its citizens. Fun, laughter, the enjoyment of life were illusory at best and missing at worst. Neighbours snitched on neighbours, a visit in the night from the Stasi was a feared possibility, and the authoritarian rule of Erich Honicker dominated every aspect of life. Not quite North Korea, but close to it.
    In the midst of all of this, however, the light of a young bonne vivante shone brightly. Uta was yearning for freedom from fear, for honesty, for the pursuit of happiness. Not for her the stifling atmosphere of a repressive and paranoid régime. And so it was she made her way to Canada, a happy day for all of us.


     What a contribution she has made to her adopted country, both as a teacher and as an artist, and doubtless in countless other ways that I know nothing of.
     It has been a singular pleasure to get to know this talented woman who understands perfectly that beauty enhances the enjoyment of life. She has set about creating objects of refined excellence, customized for the discriminating taste of art collectors and naturalists alike. And she has done this in a field still principally dominated by men.

Black-and-white Warbler

     I first met Uta a few years ago when she lived in a beautiful house in a rural hamlet, where nature was at her doorstep, and birds were her constant companions. It happens to most of us that at some point we are faced with the reality that we need to downsize and resign ourselves to that fact that we can no longer cope with the upkeep of a house.
     Uta has moved into a spacious condominium apartment on the eleventh floor of a building in Guelph, overlooking Riverside Park.



     If you are inclined to believe in Karma, you will find it more than serendipitous that a Peregrine Falcon visits her and perches on her balcony rail almost every day.
     The move to smaller quarters has not impaired Uta's ability to produce exquisite carvings and one room is equipped as her workshop.




     Everything she needs is organized and close at hand.



     You might conclude that less space spurred Uta to better organization, but she was equally well organized before her move; I can attest to that.
     For me there is a certain fascination in seeing the "tools of the trade," quite apart from the finished product.


     There is work in progress too.


     Uta is presently working on a Winter Wren and as you may see the enchanting detail of this tiny bird is already apparent.


     I am looking forward to the day when I will be able to see the finished product, posed, lifelike and almost ready to burst into song! Such is the realism of Uta's carvings.


     Linger for a moment to take in the beauty of these hummingbirds - two males vying for the right to mate with a female, who looks on, waiting for the victor.


     The birds are miracle enough but the leaves and the flowers evoke a sublime sense of the soothing balm of nature.


     Can you begin to grasp what skill it takes to carve and paint all of these leaves and flowers with such precision? 
     A Northern Parula is one of my favourite warblers and you will see how well Uta has presented it, singing alongside a Grey Catbird.


     Here is the Grey Catbird in detail.


     If you have ever seen an Eastern Screech Owl, you will understand how artfully it camouflages with its surroundings. Here's what it might it might look like, and if you walked by with an unpracticed eye you would probably miss it.


     This is a view we will never see.


     Uta recounted how an Evening Grosbeak flew into a window a few years ago and how she revived the bird inside her house and was able to release it back to the flock. A loss of feathers on the forehead caused by the impact of the collision enabled her to identify this individual, and for the rest of the winter it came back to feed daily. She felt this bond merited a carving.


     There is more! Beautiful creations are but another day in the life of this consummate artist and intellectual wizard; exquisite art from an exquisite woman.


     I can vouch from personal experience that to sit and chat with Uta is an exercise in sheer delight, to discuss art, music, philosophy, antiquity, mythology, science and just about anything else that springs up in the conservation. 
     What a joy it has been to get to know her. And now you know her too!
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

61 comments:

  1. What a lovely woman! Her art is awe-inspiring and her intellect connected to your intellect ... I wish I were a fly on the wall :)
    I once again had to come through an old Tadd post to get to you. It has bee three weeks now that I get a warning about your blog and I am unable to get to you through the warning. I will send a message to Rain and let her check on her link gadget, as she calls it. Is anybody else having this problem?
    As for my pictures. We lived on our lake for 15 years and I didn't go anywhere without my camera. I have files on top of files, some I can hardly get to because they are buried under multiple links. Are they organized? Yes, thankfully, but my computer chugs along slowly under the weight of it. I still take pictures, but sadly where I live the nature is slim pickings. I try to get out to places like the Arboretum or Forest Preserves, but not nearly as often as I would like. It seems my life is full of obligations that keep me from doing what I love on many days.
    So, you know I love Uta's little screech Owl and yes seeing the back from inside is a treat. We had a pair, both grey and rufus morphs, at the Rehab center. They were little, but as ornery as sin. When we had to catch them up for a walk or for a program we had to add extra time to allow for their antics. They were, needless to say, awesome.
    I am off t Knoxville this weekend ... I have great hopes of seeing some nature I don't often see as Knoxville is in the Blue Ridge Mountains. I plan (fingers crossed) to get many pictures to add to my overloaded computer :) So I hope you have a wonderful weekend planned. Be safe and be well, my friend ...

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know of three people who have had problems and all involve connecting via links. I have had my site thoroughly checked, by two different people savvy about computers, and I am assured that my site is safe and poses no threat to anyone. The last person to check suggested that those having issues may need to unblock permission on their computer, but I am not sufficiently proficient with computers to know exactly what is required. Have a wonderful time in Knoxville, Andrea.

      Delete
    2. I had the issue on a few blogs, it turned out to be my browser settings, I was using Edge and had it on Strict protection. put it on medium and fine.. I found I could get through on Chrome. I am thinking it has to do with her browser, might try another and if not that, the settings of computer. if it were your blog it would be all of us being warned. mine was intermittent and picky, one day on one the next on another. gone now

      Delete
    3. Uta is beautiful and so very gifted. the birds and pieces of art look real enough to pick the flowers or watch the birds fly away

      Delete
  2. ...what talent, I remember as a Boy Scout doing finger craving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your beautiful Uta and her talents with us, her creations are absolutely fabulous. You are lucky to know her and to be able to see so many of her birds and flowers. I am really impressed. Hugs, Valerie xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the great pleasures of my life has been to get to know her, Valerie.

      Delete
  4. Such beautiful carvings, truly a very talented artist. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats to the talented artist, Uta, on her beautiful carvings.
    Great post! Thank you for sharing her artworks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WHAT a skilled artist. You are so very lucky to know this multi-talented woman - and huge thanks for the introduction to her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clever Lady, David. It must be a great pleasure to know her. Take care, Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What beautiful work Uta does. Thank you for the wonderful introduction!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing her work, David. The birds and the flowers are so beautiful!
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful soul and her art is just wonderful...good luck to her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. An absolutely fascinating and beautiful post. If Uta left the DDR before the wall came down she was, indeed, fortunate. I was in the DDR prior to the wall coming down (and actually in Berlin when it was being torn down) and leaving the DDR wasn't easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect it was not easy for her, Graham, but I know nothing of the details.

      Delete
  12. What an amazing woman! She is super talented!
    Her art is incredible!
    You are so lucky to know her.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What beautiful carvings, Uta is a very talented artist.
    Her creations of the birds are absolutely fantastic.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete

  14. Thank you David for introducing us to this wonderful woman, artist and entrepreneur, who manages to make those carvings so real as well as beautiful, showing that she is very sensitive. It's been a pleasure getting to know Uta.
    A thousand Kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fantastic woman. I am delighted with her work. Uta is amazing and talented. David, thank you so much for letting me meet her
    I wish you a beautiful summer and a wonderful Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It has been a delight to see and learn about Uta's exquisite artistry.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sheer magic and talent. Wish I had half of her skill. Bisous Diane

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow-Uta is very talented. And I am impressed how little space she needs. Of course, she doesn't have a huge collection of items for mixed media pieces-she is very smart not to get involved in that. I speak that from first hand knowledge. Smile. Those bird sculptures are just gorgeous. Do you own any of these David? Have a super Saturday. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have read it and find it fascinating and surprising. That Winter Wren... it's so beautiful. At least this one doesn't fly away even though it looks incredibly lifelike. Thank you for sharing. I had never heard of her before, and I find her creations stunning. A Winter Wren like that deserves a very special place.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello David,
    Thank you for introducing us to Uta, she is a lovely and talented woman. I just loved seeing all her carving, amazing how life-like they are, beautiful creations. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm late catching up with blogs, but I'm delighted to have found this one and met the talented Uta. I expect that Peregrine is after one of those lifelike little carvings!

    ReplyDelete
  22. David, I'm so glad you introduced us to Uta. As you know, I love and appreciate all forms of art. Carving is not my thing to DO, but a thing to love and her work is exquisite. I can see why you were attracted because of the bird connection but I think anyone would find her work beautiful, bird-lover or not! Her story is interesting and since I love seeing process and tools, thank you for showing this element of an artist's life.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Incredible talent. Far superior to the china birds made in China that are sold so cheaply or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't even mention that Chinese crap in the same breath!

      Delete
  24. Uta is very talented, but also tidy.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You asked if we could grasp what it takes to carve and paint these beauties, and the simple answer for me is no. This is well beyond my comprehension. I have no sense of art - I can follow a pattern in my knitting or crocheting but to create something myself, would be next to impossible.
    Canada was blessed to have Uta come to our shores. She truly is a talented artist, and from your description and intelligent and independent woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can truthfully state that few people have ever charmed me more.

      Delete
  26. Thank you, David, for sharing the beautiful work of Uta, another talented artist. her carvings are exquisite and the detail is more than amazing. I can understand who you and Uta have such a connection with your mutual appreciation of nature and its beauty.

    Also, you were correct in saying you could not see a Canada Goose in my current post, because there wasn't one. It was my mistake and has been duly noted in a correction with a nod to your astuteness as always, David. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  27. En ese país, ella se siente feliz y en libertad y ha desarrollado su arte, No le puede pedir más ahora a la vida.

    Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  28. wow. I am stunned by this. So much beautiful artwork. Amazing! I envy her talent to be honest. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  29. David - exquisite pieces of art and passion. It does not surprise me that she is visited by birds - perhaps they sense a kindred spirit? My favorite is the Evening Grosbeak!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a talented artist! The carvings are simply awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi David - what a wonderful post ... and introduction to Uta - and the horrors of life pre the Berlin wall coming down. The artist-designer, Lothar Goetz, who designed and organised the muralist outside of our Towner Gallery (Turner Prize for contemporary visual art) - he gave a talk on the work, and his journey to the UK from the Bauhaus era ... and how his Eastern European upbringing really frustrated his creative talent … which was classified as degenerative art …!! I wrote about him and it 'Dance Diagonal' in July 2019 ...

    Uta's talent is huge ... I wish I had that creative ability ... so gorgeous to see. Her spacious condominium with its visiting peregrine falcon looks to be amazing ... lovely. Cheers to you both - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi David - I note you commented on my Lothar Goetz post ... per my comment awaiting moderation ... so now you've answered your own question - Uta was one of the artists stifled under the GDR regime. Strange but true co-incidence of life ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow, wow, wow! Breathtaking work! Thank you for sharing it and your friend, Uta, with us!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Incredible artist David, thanks for introducing her to us. And what a gift she has been to Canada. I hope she is exhibited publicly to let more see her work and marvel at her talent. PS you put me in mind of a marvelous film about East Germany in that era. I have watched it at least 3 times. "The Lives of Others". It really brings home what a horror filled time it was.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  35. A wonderful combination of craftmanship and artistry in a delightful person. I'm in awe of such talent. You are truly blessed to have such a friend.

    Best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  36. What exquisite work! She is certainly one in thousands. The evening grosbeak...perfection. As are the others, truly.

    ReplyDelete
  37. hello David
    I live 2 km from the former GDR border and knew the problems there very well, Uta is a great woman, best wishes to you
    and of course greetings to you
    Frank

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thank you for sharing Uta's immense talent with us. Sometimes life grants second chances to people, which makes them flourish with all their splendor. It is no less true that this type of person tirelessly persevered until they achieved their dreams. Un fuerte abrazo amigo David.

    ReplyDelete
  39. You are privileged to know her. Her work is beautiful. Such talent is to be envied, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Amazing artist! I love the treatment of the leaves, stems and flowers, which are so delicate and elegant. You were fortunate to be invited to her sanctuary and allowed to photograph it for your blog. She is also a pretty woman, very attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  41. wow! such beautiful and amazing work. all those this slender twigs and leaves and the delicate flowers all carved out of wood?

    ReplyDelete
  42. An artist of the first water!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Beautiful and amazing creations with meticulous precision.
    Your friend Uta is a great artist.
    Thank you for letting us know her wonderful art.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Thanks for introducing us to Uta, a fantastic woman, a great artist with an important story and last but not least an animal lover.

    ReplyDelete
  45. What a wonderful craftwork your friend Uta makes. Such delicate birds she manages to carve from wood. Amazing. The story of a Peregrines falcon landing on her balcony is something to be envious of.
    She sure deserves your compliments and this post on your blog.
    Warm regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to mention that I like your header verry much of you and Miriam.
      Roos

      Delete
  46. Me ha encantado conocerla, hace unas tallas maravillosas. Un abrazo amigo David y otro para ella.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I'm glad that she made it out of the GDR (I guess she left way before the wall came down), it probably wasn't easy at all. I still get a knot in my stomach when I get close to the former border, even today after all these years.
    Carving is something I could never ever do, and Uta is a true master of this art. I have no idea how she does it - everything is so beautiful. I am not surprised that you are charmed by her; she seems to be a very interesting woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a remarkable woman, Carola, as are you.

      Delete
  48. Such a lovely post to read and look at, Uta has an incredible talent.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers