Saturday, May 27, 2023

Book Review - The Biodiversity Gardener: Establishing a Legacy for the Natural World - Princeton University Press


      Paul Sterry needs little introduction, having authored or co-authored over fifty books, across the wide spectrum of natural history. This current volume, however, may be the most important work he has ever written.
     Biodiversity the world over is being diminished by the hour, and while this treatise is focused on the immediate area where Sterry lives (Hampshire, England), its principles and prescriptions are universal.
     He makes the grim statement in the second paragraph of the Introduction, "I am not the first to say this, but the UK is now one of the most nature-depleted countries on the planet." Sadly, many seem to care very little, if at all, and equally sadly other countries are marching rapidly along the same destructive path. 
     This book is not about rewilding, however laudable that may be, (it is far beyond the scope of the average citizen), but about the contribution everyone can make to the restoration of biodiversity in their own backyard - ".....the garden has become a tiny island of biodiversity richness in a rising sea of environmental degradation." The key is to learn as much as possible about the native species of your area, their historical occurrence, and the degree to which they are threatened, and introduce them to your garden in an integrated way so that the synergy of biodiversity is the primary consideration, eschewing the conventional attitude towards pretty gardens that are manicured, usually filled with alien exotics, subjected to chemical assault, and contributing nothing to biodiversity.
     It is important to become as knowledgeable as possible about your garden, beginning with the soil, taking due care to maintain its health along with the plants that grow in it. Even the most degraded area can be restored with careful planning and a commitment to remediate as required. A water feature is highly desirable and even a very small pond will attract amphibians, dragonflies and other aquatic organisms. Insects attract birds, suitable vegetation provides nesting areas, mammals too will seek food and shelter, and a small, integrated and functional ecosystem will rapidly become established.


     Many butterflies are dependent on specific plants for their very survival and the availability of those species in your garden will bring you untold joy as their life cycle unfolds before your eyes.


     A common response from many homeowners when confronted with the possibility of nativizing their garden is, "What difference can a tiny garden like mine make?" Clearly it can make a difference, does make a difference, and brings joy and satisfaction in the bargain, and possibly influences others. Imagine the habitat restoration that would occur if all the houses on a street transformed their gardens into centres of biodiversity. It seems unlikely to happen but that should be our goal.


     There are those who dismiss garden biodiversity as a fad, a mission by tree-huggers and their ilk to evangelize the world. Nothing could be further from the truth. If we are to ensure our own continued presence on Planet Earth, it can only be done by abandoning the reckless practices that now imperil our very survival. There is no choice but to permit nature to provide the life-sustaining systems it is designed to do. 
    Sterry concludes with the following statement, "For me, the natural world makes life worth living. With all that's going on in the world, sometimes it's the only thing that makes life worth living."
     And that's the simple truth, and the sooner we all embrace it the better off we will be.


The Biodiversity Gardener: Establishing a Legacy for the Natural World - Princeton University Press
Paul Sterry
Hardcover - US$29.95 - ISBN: 9780691245553
360 pages - 7.5 x 9.5 inches (18.75 x 23.75 cm)
900 colour photographs
Publication Date: 06 June, 2023
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

49 comments:

  1. Interesting. My small yard came with established gardens. I haven’t done much with the backyard yet but the front looks very colorful. I fear the HOA president may disapprove of the country garden look, but I plan to keep it.

    You asked about rhododendrons. They are native to the Appalachian mountains, which is where I took the picture. There is a mountaintop on the Blue Ridge Parkway called Craggy Gardens, which has spectacular rhododendrons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that in some areas HOAs become dictators.

      Delete
  2. Amen to the message of this book and I agree it should and could be done and would help our world to make a difference. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so agree with you David, I was so conscious of this when I lived at my last beloved house. I was lucky to have a stream. Meadowed the garden and replaced trees I was cutting for fuel on my woodlot. PS Have you heard that we are down to one spotted owl now in BC, the article is in the Guardian. Clear cutting, of course. It's heartbreaking. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/may/26/northern-spotted-owl-canada-british-columbia-ghosts-aoe
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...should be a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some bloggers tout their beautiful backyards, and they are indeed works of art. I wouldn't install a pond or birdbath in mine, as these would attract mosquitoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fish in the pond would take care of the mosquito larvae for you.

      Delete
    2. If birdbath water is changed once a day, that would take care of the mosquito larvae for you. It would also keep the water fresh for the birds.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like a wonderful book, David.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  8. “A common response from many homeowners when confronted with the possibility of nativizing their garden is, ‘What difference can a tiny garden like mine make?’ Clearly it can make a difference, does make a difference, and brings joy and satisfaction in the bargain, and possibly influences others.” I think you are confirming my comment in your previous post, The Lion, it’s time for every human to start thinking about what they can do, no matter how small, to help protect the global environment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderful idea regarding everyone's contribution.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How I love his final statement which echoes my feelings. And I also love seeing the birds and the critters which visit my garden which includes exotic plants and natives. And weeds.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the book for me! Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This book sounds right up my alley and sounds very interesting. I do aim for biodiversity in my yard and gardens, but more knowledge is always helpful. I really want native animals species to have a place to live among my other plants. I've added this to my book list. Thanks for sharing David. Enjoy your weekend! hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  13. En mi jardín tengo diferentes zonas, tengo un trozo que yo llamo el jardín silvestre o salvaje y me encanta allí se ocultan muchos insectos, ayer vimos una culebra, parecía una víbora...pero no lo era, es una culebra de agua. Lo que también hay son topos y esos si que no me gustan ( me destrozan mis flores ). Este libro si que me encantaría tenerlo. Abrazos querido amigo David.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This book is interesting. Can learn so much from reading this book. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is exactly what I try to achieve with my garden - it takes time and a lot of trila and error, buti it is so worth it. I'm on my way to getting closer to my goal every year, but there is still lots to do. I can see the difference a biodiversity garden can make and it makes my heart sing. This book seems to be a good addition to Douglas Tallamy's "Bringing Nature Home" and it certainly will find its way into my garden library. Thank you for this review, David!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a role model for many, Carola. You will find this book supremely interesting, of that I have no doubt, and you will learn a great deal.

      Delete
  16. I agree. Restoring biodiversity starts in our backyards. Thank you for sharing this important message.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The writer would take great heart from King's College in Cambridge. Their famous lawn has not been mown for the last few years and is now a wildflower meadow. I must go and take some photos sometime. If you can't wait for that, then you can find out more here:
    https://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/a-greener-kings/kings-wildflower-meadow

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello David, If I had a garden I would buy this book at once. It looks a great help for welcoming all kinds of cratures to the garden. It is a big thing here in Belgium and other countries to remove all the stone from the gardens and put in trees, flowers and if possible a pond. First to get the rainwater in the ground and for flora and fauna to return to cities etc.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks and sounds like a superb book David. One that should be in most peoples homes. There is so much we can do, and even little things, to help the wildlife thrive in our own back yards.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi David - there's certainly more concern for our wildlife - they're trying to stop mowing for the month of May - worked in places. Plenty of weeds around ... others are being manicured ... but we are being made aware of changes that are happening. Paul Sterry is obviously highly respected in his field, and has plenty of experience. Thanks - good to know about him - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a step in the right direction to not mow for a month, but in reality it probably achieves little. Ground-nesting birds, for example, are still incubating and tending young into June.

      Delete
  21. This is a book that I shall almost certainly be buying, David, as it is a subject that is very close to my heart. I don't know if there is mention in the book of the adverse pressure that the 'nature gardener' faces from neighbours who want everything to look neat and tidy, and will often replace living organisms with plastic replicas. It's very frustrating!

    Sorry for the late visit. Have been taking advantage of a spell of fine weather, between various medical commitments for both myself and Lindsay.

    My very best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Richard: I thought of your little water feature when I was writing the review and the remarkable number of dragonflies that emerged from it. There is proof if ever it was needed.

      Delete
  22. Hello,
    A great book for the gardener. We have many sections of our yard that are native plants, almost wild sections. Take care, have a great day and happy week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  23. We must all play our role in the conservation and preservation of nature and the environment. Any advice on how to help maintain nature's biodiversity is very important.
    A very interesting book.
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  24. Buena labor se ha propuesto. Todos los gobiernos tendrían que poner medidas, que pongan freno a esto. Deben dejarse asesorar, por personas como el autor de este libro.
    Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  25. I hope people one day wake uo to what they are doing. Most people just don't care. I manicured lawn is more important than insects and bees, and what the neighbours think even more important. Have great day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here we have to even fight municipalities and idiotic bylaws.

      Delete
  26. Que gran verdad dice Paul Sterry . Triste sería vivir sin este mundo natural . Vivo rodeada de naturaleza amigo y es un gusto poder pasear por ella cada día. Seamos Todos conscientes que la necesitamos.
    Os deseo buena noche David.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful header!
    A very interesting book with important advices. Indeed I try to make sure that my garden could also be a good habitat for animals and birds.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love the header photo and the wise old oak. I do love having plants that attract bees and birds to my garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A great start, Sami, but there is more that you can do.

      Delete
  29. Sounds like a good book with practical advice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Good" doesn't even come close to it, Christine. Superb would be my take on it!

      Delete
  30. An important book and important concept, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This would make a perfect present for nature fans! Add it to my X'mas list :-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Looks like an interesting book 📖

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love your header and the Wise Old Oak!! I think about the birds and the bees when I decide what I' going to plant in my gardens...Also the deer and the bunnies..LOL

    ReplyDelete
  34. That sounds like a good and an important book. And I'm loving your new header! You two look great -- and very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Bardzo lubię takie książki. Sama staram się zachować równowagę i bioróżnorodność w ogrodzie, ale to nie jest łatwa sprawa.

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers