Tuesday, March 07, 2023

Book Review - Snakes of the World, A Guide to Every Family - Princeton University Press

 


     Following close on the heels of his Lizards of the World Mark O'Shea has authored an authoritative work on the snakes of the world. Myriad they are, diverse in size, colour and habitat, venomous or benign, yet almost universally in need of a good PR campaign to improve their image. O'Shea goes a long way towards doing this.
     The book follows the format used in several recent Princeton works and there is a comforting familiarity in the organization of it all. The result is a systematic, scholarly work, filled with full colour illustrations of the highest quality, lending visual appeal for even the most casual observer - no less for the serious reader. The text and the images complement each other perfectly.
     The Introduction eases us gently into "what makes a snake a snake," followed by an exploration of the evolution and origins of snakes. Taxonomy, that most fluid of sciences, is covered in detail, with a superb clade on page eleven concisely portraying the family tree of snakes.
     Internal anatomy is covered in detail, followed by an examination of snake skin and scales, a particularly fascinating section for those who have wondered about snake locomotion and how it is achieved, or have had the good fortune to find a shed skin on a morning walk. It is interesting that Great Crested Flycatchers eagerly seek snake skins for their nests. No one is quite sure of its function, but it's possible it may have some totemic significance.
     It is the flicking tongue of a snake that seems ominous to some observers, and there are countless references to speaking with a forked tongue and other nefarious associations, but as you will learn the sense organs of a snake are well developed and sophisticated.
     Snakes exist in a wide variety of environments and have coping mechanisms for the climate and topography they inhabit. A Sidewinder in the desert will move quite differently from the Garter Snake emerging from a hibernaculum, and their method of locomotion is distinct. Sea snakes move in different ways entirely.
     Snakes are both oviparous and viviparous - the book has a complete section on reproduction.
     All snakes are carnivorous and the ways in which they find, subdue and consume prey varies greatly, from small snakes that eagerly seek out worms to giant constrictors. The latter "...have, on rare occasions, accomplished the unthinkable: they have ambushed, killed and swallowed a human being whole."
     The defence mechanisms employed by snakes vary greatly with species, but even the most venomous species are not free from predators, the most lethal, of course, being the two-legged stalker known as Homo sapiens.
     An important section is devoted to conservation, an issue all too pressing in the 21st century. Even if you cannot bring yourself to love snakes, remember that preserving habitat for one species preserves habitat for all. Snakes are equal partners in a healthy, functioning ecosystem.
     The bulk of the book is devoted to snake infraorders and superfamilies, with pictures, a range map and text for several representatives of the various taxa.
     This book is a veritable tour de force. I don't expect that it will win the hearts and minds of every reader, but at least you will understand snakes better, and the next time someone refers to a snake in the grass you will know that's not necessarily a bad thing!

Snakes of the World: A Guide to Every Family - Princeton University Press
Mark O'Shea
Hardcover - US$29.95 - ISBN: 9780691240664
240 pages - 6.75 x 9.5 inches (16.875 x 23.75 cm)
282 Colour plus 7 black-and-white illustrations - 53 maps
Publication Date: 07 March, 2023
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

29 comments:

  1. The most dangerous are the snakes sitting in the sun in the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...since I know nothing about snakes, I assume that none of them are my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I thought I might ever go globe-trotting again, David, I would be tempted to buy this book, as I rather like snakes, while having a healthy respect for them. As it is, we are not well-blessed with snakes in UK, having only three species - all of which are of 'endangered' status and, sadly, very rarely seen.

    Best wishes to you nd Miriam - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only snake I have seen in the UK, Richard, is a Grass Snake, so one out of three for a visitor is probably not bad.

      Delete
  4. Snakes - some of my favorite backyard critters! And an invaluable part of the habitat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire your interest for all animals, insects and birds. Snakes make me sick, so this book is not for me. Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snakes are probably not likely to be encountered in Norway, Marit, so I think you are safe! Hugs and kisses - David

      Delete
  6. I have seen two snakes in Arizona and all I can say is I am glad New Zealand has none!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure makes up for it with other exotic species.

      Delete
  7. Here in the UK I have seen a grass snake, although adders can be seen too.
    "Adders are found across Britain but are absent from Ireland. They are associated with open habitats such as heathland, moorland and woodland edges.

    The adder is the most northerly-occurring snake species in the world and has been recorded within the Arctic Circle."
    https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/trees-woods-and-wildlife/animals/reptiles-and-amphibians/adder/

    All the best Jan

    PS Thanks for the book review

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book must be very interesting and enlightening. There are 40 species of snakes in Georgia because of the warm and humid climate – maybe more in the southern part of the state. I don’t know many snakes but my husband often showed me some black snakes in our front yard – I think they could have been Eastern Rat Snakes or Brahminy Black Snakes. He showed me the picture of a venomous snake that is found in our neighborhood, it’s called a Copperhead, and told me to watch out for it. More people are being bitten by them nowadays (50% more) but their venom is not potent enough to kill a healthy person, although it would hurt quite a bit. They are increasing because of warming winters in the Deep South. I get upset when I hear women wanting to kill any snake they see in their yard. They need to identify the snake first; snakes keep rats and other pests in check. The problem is population is increasing in the Greater Atlanta suburbs and all those huge houses and yards encroach on the snakes’ territory, this was their land.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this enlightened comment. Habitat loss is a significant factor for most wild creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a fascination for snakes and would enjoy browsing this book. I have seen grass snakes and an adder in the UK but that was some time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It seems like an interesting book to me.
    There are vipers here, but I've never seen them.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi David - I was never fond of snakes ... my Dad used to hatch them indoors once he'd unearthed the eggs (grass snakes I think) from the compost heap and the released them; I stepped on a coiled adder minding its own business amongst some blackberries in Cornwall - I was aged 6 ... and have never since run so far - back to the bus stop ... the poor girl who was looking after us had to catch me with my brother in his buggy ... but I do appreciate them - and find them fascinating - this looks such an interesting book - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stepping on a coiled adder is not to be recommended, Hilary!

      Delete
  13. Maybe a glimpse of even a discarded skin is enough to deter predators. I certainly remember one of the children in my care losing his rather realistic toy snake. A week or two later I found the lift-repair man prodding it very suspiciously with a long pole where it had fallen into the pit beneath the lift. If a plastic snake can fool a repair man maybe a snake skin can fool a feathered egg-thief!

    ReplyDelete
  14. He visto serpientes en algún que otro zoológico, pero no me gusta acercarme mucho.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Snakes are something I try to avoid unless they are behind a thick wall of glass. Biologically they are fascinating though. And I had to smile at your Florida comment on my post about DeSantos. And Trump is there too. I'd say the 2 of theme are worse than any hurricane, but that wouldn't be fair to people who lost so much in the hurricane. Hope your week is going well. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love snakes. When I was younger I would look for them in the wilds. There is something special about them. Thanks for sharing this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always happy when I know that people are not afraid of snakes.

      Delete
  17. Beautiful book of the snakes. I have a new book of New Guinea. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't seen a snake in years and that's good.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks like another great book. I am paranoid about spiders and snakes,so I'm happy we don't have any dangerous ones here. Hugs, Valerie xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like snakes. My granddaughter adores them! We aren't travelling anytime soon to see any, though! The kids are going to New Zealand in the summer. Things are crazy there!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nunca me han caído muy bien, pero siempre las he respetado las pocas que he podido ver. Les tengo aprecio pero un gran respeto.
    Un gran abrazo querido amigo y profesor David.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Otro libro que me encantaría. Por el jardín he visto varias, por aquí hay de varias especies, no son venenosas, sí la culebra bastarda ( Malpolon monspessulanus ) es venenosa pero no puede inocular veneno, porque los dientes los tiene muy atrás. Abrazos.

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers