Monday, March 27, 2023

Book Review - Field Guide to North American Flycatchers - Princeton University Press


 

     I doubt that you would find many North American birders who would not be in agreement that Empidonax flycatchers are one of the most difficult groups, if not the the most difficult group of birds to identify. So, I was excited to see a pocket-sized field guide devoted to this challenging family. Add in the pewees and it seems that you have it covered. 



     But I'm not totally convinced it works! The differences between species are often so slight and so difficult to observe that picking them apart in the field is well nigh impossible. I am thinking for example, of clues such as primary projection as explained and illustrated on pages 20 and 21. The variation is so subtle that I doubt that anyone but someone with intensive knowledge of the species would be successful in detecting these differences. Even then, in Ontario where I live, if one narrowed it down to medium primary projection, one would still be faced with the possibility that it could be Alder, Willow, Yellow-bellied or Least Flycatcher. To add to the potential confusion, Least Flycatcher is also possible under short primary projection and Yellow-bellied and Eastern Wood Pewee under long primary projection. Don't forget that one is seldom presented with an extended period of study when spotting these birds in life - quite different from an illustration on a page in a book.



     I understand that all clues should be used in conjunction with others, and perhaps if one is able to take a decent picture it might be possible to assemble them later. Traditional features such as vocalization (absolutely definitive), habitat and timing of migration are more reliable it seems to me.
     Having been involved with bird banding for several years, even with the bird in the hand, and with the benefit of biometrics and reference to Peter Pyle's bird bander's bible Identification to North American Birds, we often were unable to identify Willow or Alder Flycatcher as to species and had to resort to recording it as Traill's Flycatcher. Formerly, of course, they were considered the same species under that name.
     For the most part, I found the illustrations very pleasing, but there are several instances where the portrayal of the bird is unnaturally rotund and plump. In other cases, Olive-sided Flycatcher, for example I found them exceptionally well executed.
     Overall I liked the book. I think the text is well done and the pictures accurate and informative. Whether esoteric features such as primary tip spacing will ever be a valid guide to identifying the bird in the field I have my doubts. 
     Perhaps some species are just not reducible to a defined set of field marks that are useful in real life identification - and perhaps too that is the intrinsic challenge of birding, or at least one of them. As the book also confirms, sometimes you have to accept that you will be wrong in your ID, or simply unable to get beyond the family. Empidonax sp., or Contopus sp. are still perfectly acceptable entries on your eBird list or in your notebook.
     You will certainly not be alone!

Field Guide to North American Flycatchers
Empidonax and Pewees
Cin-Ty Lee and Andrew Birch
Paperback - US$19.95 - ISBN: 9780691240626
168 pages - 5 x 8 inches (12.5 x 20 cm) - 55 color and black-and-white illustrations - 19 maps - 53 spectograms
Publication date: 04 April, 2023  

 

David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

40 comments:

  1. ...being a visual person, pictures are important to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    I could use a separate guide on Flycatchers, they are a little difficult for me to id.
    Thanks for the review! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always a great book review, David!
    Enjoy the spring in your area!
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari OM
    Fair assessment - I have often found that depictions in a 'handbook' rarely match what is seen with the naked eye. That said, it brings one closer, at least! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always cognizant that not for nothing are these books called "guides."

      Delete
  5. Honestly, I am perfectly happy with the fact that I cannot always identify the flycatcher species I'm looking at; I'm just glad they are here for me to enjoy, but I know that drives some people nuts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am one of those it drives nuts, Dorothy, and I often wish I had your attitude!

      Delete
  6. Las guías de campo siempre vienen bien, pero no siempre identifican bien. Abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am comfortable with not always knowing what I am seeing (or hearing). They are all feathered enchantment to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, I m outing myself. I. have never seen a flycatcher, sorry! I hope you will still talk to me in spite of my ignorance! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  9. The graphics of the book are of great art.

    ReplyDelete
  10. C'est un livre qui doit être plus adapté pour des connaisseurs des oiseaux, il semble y avoir beaucoup de détails. Bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with you David, on many occasions the description and illustrations offered by field guides to identify the different species of the same family of birds, are insufficient to guarantee knowing for sure what species we are observing. In the same way that we talk about flycatchers, we could talk about chiffchaffs, seagulls, larks... A big hug friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. For me it's always good to have the correct details both in a book and the paintings/drawings and it even better if they are right to the very last detail.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It seems like a good book to me.
    The images in the book are really beautiful.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yo solo identifico los más comunes. No soy ninguna experta en pájaros.
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We only have two Flycatchers here - Spotted and Pied so they are easy to recognise.
    In our last home we had a Virginia creeper climbing up the wall beneath the bedroom window, and one year a Muscicapa striata - Spotted Flycatcher built it's nest in the top of it. I kept the curtains closed all of the time so as not to disturb them, but it was very easy to peek through a gap and watch all of the nesting activities taking place - it is something that neither of us has ever forgotten seeing.
    Thank you for your very kind comment on my last post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your flycatchers (family: Muscicpidae) and ours (family: Tyrannidae) are quite different, Rosemary, sharing only the common English language designation "flycatcher." Must have been quite a thrill to be able to watch the Spotted Flycatchers raise their young.

      Delete
  16. I'm not a birding expert but flycatchers are pretty tricky. The one I'm most familiar with is the Eastern Phoebe because there are always at least 1 pair who nests under the eaves of my husband's workshop. I'm waiting for them to return because they truly are the sign that spring is definitely here. Have a great Tuesday, and thanks for the book info. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  17. Eastern Phoebe (Sayornis phoebe) is quite different (morphologically) from the birds covered in this book, Erika, and is easily told apart from them. It has the habit of pumping its tail and as you correctly point out is early to arrive in spring and has no hesitation to nest in close proximity to humans - in fact they seem to prefer it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The addition of images is always important, as they always help to better visualize the written context. It is certainly a very interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You always find the most interesting books. Most of all I love reading your take on them. Have a great day today.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Even though I live in North America, I don't think I have ever seen a Flycatcher..Thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'd be happy enough to just identify it as a flycatcher. My assumption is that you are so well known that these book publishers send you free copies for your opinion. Nice gig if you can get it. On the other hand you probably buy them for our illumination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I receive a copy of the book for review from the publisher, as you surmise.

      Delete
  22. Very interesting guide!....it seems ideal for field trips......Abrazotes, Marcela

    ReplyDelete
  23. That’s a bird I haven’t had to identify. They don’t come to feeders, do they? And they’re small so my camera wouldn’t catch fine details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are not birds that would appear at your feeders, Linda.

      Delete
  24. I heard that there are such birds - flycatchers, but probably we don't have many of them because there are flies :) I'm glad that this book is useful for your work, because the differences between species are very small.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I like books with lots of pictures to refer to but sometimes it is not easy to identify the birds even with the pictures provided.

    ReplyDelete
  26. As a casual observer I find it hard to see birds well enough to know what they are, aside from the real common ones like Blue Jays, Crows, Robins, Goldfinches, and Cardinals in my area; but I would think for people who are looking with binculors and being still for periods of time to see the birds the pictures would be key.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  27. Un libro espectacular sin duda, de un ave que me encanta. Gracias por compartir David, un fuerte abrazo desde el norte de España.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very cool book with pleasent picture that helps us describe the species of that birds more detail...have a nice day David...

    ReplyDelete
  29. The current efforts to analyze and define species of birds is really amazing, including DNA analysis and observations such as those in the Galapagos of the rapid evolution of various species of finches under extreme weather conditions. I wonder about how evolution created such very similar species of flycatchers. Nature puts such traps in the way of dedicated birders!

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The traps are part of the challenge and the fun though.

      Delete
  30. I think that guide is also good for beginners,like me. Thank you, David!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Many thanks for your review.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers