Monday, February 27, 2023

Book Review - Pocket Guide to Birds of Australia - Princeton University Press

 


     Modern field guides are universally of high quality, often going beyond a field guide in scope, however, and becoming hefty tomes. They are filled with information and are extremely useful, but are nevertheless heavy to tote around in the field all day. The average contemporary birder is burdened with binoculars and camera at minimum, and often a telescope, tripod, lunch, smart phone, recording device and pointer! Add a weighty field guide and a pack mule is needed!
     A pocket field guide of this type is the ideal solution. All the information needed to identify the bird is included, with fine quality illustrations and minimal text.
     The book begins with a quick guide to bird groups showing the page on which the group first appears.


     For the seasoned veteran this provides rapid access to the appropriate pages and for the novice it enhances observation skills by identifying bird families by outline. This is a key component of successful field observation and anything that aids in rapid recognition is very valuable.
     The illustrations are without exception first class and colour fidelity is outstanding.



    The text is succinct and homes in on only what is necessary to successfully identify the bird in the field. Discussions of breeding biology and other matters can be left for another time and other books.
     There is a description of habitat, location, a range map and a phonetic interpretation of voice. For some species useful comments such as, "....about the size of a lyrebird" are helpful in eliminating possible confusing species.
     The authors and illustrators have all earned their spurs in the identification and portrayal of Australian birds and their collaborative skills have resulted in a useful and visually pleasing work.
     The book is both lightweight and of a convenient size (easy to slip into a pocket). It covers more than 700 species that are resident or regular visitors to Australia, including offshore species that might be observed on a single day pelagic outing, or from the ferry between Victoria and Tasmania.
     I wish that I had had this guide when I last visited Australia. My luggage would have been a little lighter, but the tools I needed for successful birding would not have been sacrificed one iota.
     I expect this book will be a great success.

Pocket Guide to Birds of Australia - Princeton University Press
Jeff Davies, Peter Menkhorst, Danny Rogers, Rohan Clarke, Peter Marsack, Kim Franklin
Softcover - US$27.95 - ISBN - 9780691245492
256 pages - 4.75 x 7.75 inches (11.875 x 19.375 cm)
240 colour plates - 700 maps
Publication Date: 07 February, 2023
     

 

David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

36 comments:

  1. Your review is perfect. A great pocket guide to Australia's birds.
    Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...they sure have some colorful feathered friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    As I already have such an item, I will not add to my list - but do recommend to others if they have not got such a useful book. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must use it on your next trip to Australia, David. The illustrations are lovely.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had plans to return to Australia, Marit. Hugs and kisses - David

      Delete
  5. Australia would be an amazing country to bird watch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. I have been there twice, but there are still vast regions of the country to be explored.

      Delete
  6. Hello,
    Looks like a great guide book. Are you heading back to Australia? Have a great day and happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have loved this book when I visited Australia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful illustrations and small is good for the journey... happy tours to you and your loved ones and thanks for introducing the book... and a hug from me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. C'est vrai que d'emporter un gros livre ce n'est pas pratique et avec celui ci on va à l'essentiel pour identifier les oiseaux que l'on peut voir. Il me semble très pratique.
    Bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
  10. This definitely looks like a winner, even for those of us who may not be going to Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If everywhere were reachable by an Internet signal, people would not need guidebooks, but would just use their phone apps. I don’t see that happening soon because so many things can block a signal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And many birders still have an affinity for a physical guidebook.

      Delete
  12. Nice review. A lightweight book is always handy in the pocket.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I could have used that when I visited down-under. I have a similar slim volume for birdwatching in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice review David.
    I think it would be really useful to have such a booklet with you when you are going to photograph birds, as I always do.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  15. So many interesting information from this guide book.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ese libro es una buena guía para identificarla, hay infinidad de aves y no es fácil, reconocerlas a todas.
    Buen documentado estás.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello dear February birthday boy, I'm sure you had a nice day. Best wishes for you, nice tours, wonderful discoveries, a lot of joy and health as well as many encounters with lovely people.
    A big hug from Viola for you David.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Valuable book, if six people worked on it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. good news!
    I forgot mine on the roof of the van in Tasmania: ((((
    A present from my mum that she bought there!
    I'll take this one
    Thanks David

    ReplyDelete
  20. Estimado y apreciado David, una muy buena reseña de las aves de Australia en esa magnífica guía de bolsillo.
    Gracias por compartir.
    Un gran abrazo querido, amigo y compadre.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Querido David parece una guía muy interesante y la reseña estupenda. Un abrazo para ti y para Míriam.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice review. I love the colorful birds in it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi David - that's good to read .. you consider it so well worth-while. I'd love to visit one day with this guide book in hand .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  24. It is certainly a fascinating book, for the information and the images.
    Excellent review.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've always wanted to visit Australia but the time it takes to get there is a little daunting and I imagine it takes you even longer. but if I ever do go, I'll take this little gem of a field guide with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a long journey to be sure. Last time I went I flew non-stop from Toronto to Hong Kong, and then Hong Kong to Sydney. When you factor in driving time and the layover at the airport it's about two days door to door.

      Delete
  26. The illustrations look lovely.
    A good book for those planning a visit to Australia.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  27. I hope to someday go to Australia, and when I do, this sounds like a great and easy to carry online guide. I don't suppose I'd already know any of the native birds there. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  28. Now you need to plan another trip to Australia!

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers