Wednesday, September 07, 2022

Glimpses of Nature in Waterloo Region, Ontario

 31 August, 2022
Columbia Lake, Waterloo, ON

     The heat and lack of rain of late has caused wildlife to seek shade, plants to wilt and trees to shed leaves in order to conserve water. Nature-watching has become a challenge, and not without a level of discomfort as the temperature routinely exceeds thirty degrees.
     A Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias) displayed the stoicism we have come to expect from it, as it searched for food, knowing that its patience and hunting skills would be rewarded sooner or later.


    This area would normally be underwater, and the rocks on which the heron is standing submerged, but not this year as lakes and ponds throughout the region suffer from evaporation in the unforgiving heat.
     Fall can't come soon enough for me, and birds and mammals will no doubt welcome cooler weather too. The first frost will be a pleasant event for all of us.
     A second Great Blue Heron displayed a different stalking style, equally effective I am sure.


     I was recently reading a little about the life of E. O. Wilson and was mesmerized by the depth of his knowledge about ants. Of them, I know very little, and wish that I knew more. This is the dwelling of a member of the Wood, Mound, and Field Ants (genus Formica) and that's all I can tell you, I'm afraid.


     One can only imagine the industry taking place in the soil, the organization of the community beneath our feet, temperature-controlled, perfectly comfortable and functioning efficiently. We could benefit greatly from paying greater attention to ants.
     A single Great Egret (Ardea alba) has been present at Columbia Lake for several weeks.


     At one point there was a group of more than a dozen; for whatever reason this individual decided to remain when the others left.
     Alfalfa (Medicago sativa) seems to establish itself randomly throughout Ontario, even in disturbed areas.


     To my eye, it has an exceptionally beautiful flower.
     We observed hundreds of tiny beetles on Goldenrod (Solidago sp.) but I have been unable to identify them.



     The fruiting heads of Wild Bergamot (Monarda fistulosa) are well formed by now, ready to disperse seeds to ensure the success of future generations.


     A Clover Looper (Caenurgina crassiuscula) quietly went about its business, indifferent to nosy humans with cameras.


     You will have to look carefully in the picture below to see a small moth with folded wings, just about at dead centre. Miriam doggedly followed it for several minutes, but it assumed this position every time it landed. Its identification, as you might surmise, remains a mystery.


     Familiar Bluet (Enallagma civile) gratifyingly lived up to its name. Familiarity was the key, posing this way and that as though wanting to please.


     A glorious Halloween Pennant (Celithemis géante) was scarcely less compliant.


     It raised its wings in salute.


     A small, aphid-like insect in the genus Daktulosphaira infests grape plants, and this Riverbank Grape (Vitis riparia) had been overwhelmed by its attacker.



     Formerly a very serious threat to commercial grapes it has been brought under control by various means, particularly by grafts of resistant strains, and is no longer considered a menace. Anything that interferes with the production of wine should be attacked with full vigour I think you will agree!
     Ox-eye Daisy (Leucanthemum vulgare) is a lovely plant, isn't it?


     I always feel a surge of misguided pride when I see Canada Geese (Branta canadensis) in images from all over the world.


     It is a striking species, embodying many values allegedly cherished by humans, chief among them lifelong monogamy and fidelity to its mate. It has conquered the world to promote these values!


     Hooray for Canada Geese! Vives les Bernaches du Canada!
     One might be equally proud of Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis) I suppose, but without overtones of national chauvinism. I would vote for changing the name to Larus ontarioensis; then we could drape it with the flag too!


     Both species are capable of producing impressive quantities of guano, an added advantage for the avid horticulturalist with collecting tools at hand!
     Plants waste no time in establishing themselves on desiccated lake beds, and I think this specimen is in the Pink family Caryophyllaceae.


02 September, 2022
At home

     We had our first visit of a Labrador Carpet (Xanthorhoe labradorensis), an exceedingly handsome little moth.


    More common was a Black Swallowtail (Papilio polyxenes), its wings a little compromised, but still flying strongly.


    I wonder if it's one of the butterflies we raised in our kitchen?

03 September, 2022
At home

     We were quite charmed by this little character.


     It is the nymph of a Masked Hunter (Reduvius personatus), sometimes given the name of Masked Bed Bug Hunter - which pretty much describes its mission in life. It does not restrict itself to bed bugs, however, and as Stephen Marshall points out in his monumental tome, Insects: Their Natural History and Diversity, "This regular resident of even the cleanest household.....exudes a sticky substance that soon accumulates a body-masking layer of junk ranging from the dead bodies of victims to dismembered dust bunnies." 
     He further cautions, "Although most assassin bugs are beneficial predators with no inclination to bite people, Masked Bed Bug Hunter has to be handled with care lest it painfully impale you with its bug-sucking beak."
     Who would not seek such companionship?
     Heeding Marshall's advice, however, we gingerly eased it onto a sheet of paper and introduced it to the great outdoors, wishing it well on whatever peregrinations it may undertake.
     I miss it already!
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

55 comments:

  1. ...the Halloween Pennant is a fabulous image.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's scary about the heat and low levels of water many places this year, David. Lovely birds, flowers and insects. I hope the Black Swallowtail comes from your kitchen.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was very nice to see your photos, David. Ants are very interesting creatures. I love ants (to photograph). And those butterflies. Very different species than here. Thanks for sharing. I have never seen a Black Swallowtail. What a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My knowledge of ants is quite meagre, Aritha, but the more I read about them the more fascinating I find them.

      Delete
  4. There are so many bugs out there! Lovely photos and a great selection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hari Om
    Wonderful images again! I do like to see the insects, beetles and bugs which keep things working at the microscopic level in nature. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures, indeed.
    Nature is a source of joy... most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that last insect is an interesting guy, and I'm glad you urged him into the wild again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. It is not a spider. Virtually all arachnids have eight legs. The insect you see here is an assassin bug.

      Delete
  9. Wonderful images of the tiny creatures who add so much to our world. The Canada Goose is rather a pest around here, as some stay all year round. But I love seeing them when we are out and about.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would venture to say, Lorrie, that were the geese able to express their opinion, they would consider us a far greater pest! All nine billion of us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never tire of seeing photos of herons and egrets, those elegant long necked birds. Fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you and Miriam for the delights from both home and away. How I hope you get that much needed rain - and a lessening of the heat. Neither are good for the land or its inhabitants.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Buenas tardes, amigo David, otro bello reportaje muy completo como siempre vienes realizando. La escasez de agua ya se está haciendo un tema alarmante y muy preocupante, no sabemos como puede afectar de seguir produciéndose esta sequía. Aquí en España los ríos bajan con un hilo de agua, existen pantanos que han dejado al descubierto antiguas ruinas e incluso pueblos que estaban sumergidos; es un tema demasiado preocupante y esperemos por el bien de todos que esta situación no se vea prolongada por mucho más tiempo, pues de lo contrario muy mal se presenta la vida para tantas criaturas.
    Hoy aún seguimos con temperaturas por encima de los 30 °C
    Un gran abrazo maestro y profesor naturalista de tu compadre y amigo Juan.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have once again found lots of interesting creatures and plants. And your wonderful Canada goose is really well known here, and flourishing. I'm sure that makes you happy! We are hoping for rain, too! But I hope I never see that bed-bug killer spider, I am not a spider fan! BIG hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but it is not a spider, Valerie. It is an assassin bug.

      Delete
  15. Gorgeous photos again. Ants are fascinating to observe and learn about, and I agree we could learn a lot from them.
    I hope your drought breaks soon and cooler temperatures arrive to ease your woes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. loved to find herons and egrets in the same post :) The Halloween Pennant is a very beautiful dragonfly. It is glorious for sure. One we don´t have.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It’s getting cooler here these days and nights. Fine by me. I hope you get some cooling temperatures and rain there soon, David,

    I love Canada Geese too. They are back in the sky here again recently. They enjoy fields which have been plowed or harvested and the bay as well. Their sounds as they fly overhead are distinctive and mean autumn to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to fall, Marie. Summer is not my favourite season.

      Delete
  18. Wonderful pictures as always. It has been extremely dry here also this late summer. With the coming soon of autumn let's hope we begin to see some much-needed rain.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My goodness how beautiful are these creatures and so beautifully captured. All the photos are lovely..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Me siento feliz de ver tu gran reportaje. Un abrazo querido amigo David.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi David,
    The influence of climate change you can experience all over the world, unfortunately. It will be an enormous challenge for mankind to face this problem and find a solution in order to save the planet for the coming generations.
    The effects of heat and a lack of water can be seen everywhere. Fortunately there still are survivors, like you show us here. The lower temparatures of autumn and winter will be very welcome indeed.
    Greetings, Kees

    ReplyDelete
  22. What beautiful pictures, the anthill is really amazing I've never seen this before.
    It is also dry here but today we finally have rain and it has cooled down.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  23. Interesting observations, and wonderful photos. I hope the dryness and heat will ease soon.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm wondering if I should get worried about your mental health, David, when you express feelings of loss for a Masked Bed Bug Hunter!

    I'm very much enjoying your continuing wanderings into fields of nature outside of avian matters. I have been particularly struck by your odonata and moths, plus that Black Swallowtail, in this post.

    Best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your interesting photo of the ant mound has reminded me that we were given a small 1930s book with exquisite pen and ink illustrations featuring the life of an Ant Colony. It fascinated our boys, and I gave it to one of them for safe keeping. Having just seen your ant mound my interest in seeing it again has been rekindled.
    I haven't contacted our blog friend as yet, but have noticed that although he has 'comments moderation on' he has allowed two comments which he received at the end of August. Hopefully all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  26. David, the heron and egret photos brought back memories of hours spent photographing both when we lived on the VA eastern shore and I never tired of these shorebirds. From the very little, I know about ants, they are far more interesting than many suspect.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Good they are coping in the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Well done you two on the great photos. I am so enjoying seeing nature in your area as much as I love the birds.
    We are still so dry, rain is around but it mostly misses us entirely. We have had about 4mmin the past four months.
    Keep well, cheers Diane (Yes, anything that causes a problem with wine making needs sorting out!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Like you, I am so ready for fall. We are in the middle of a heat wave with temperatures reaching 45 C here - we don't have AC (we usually don't need it) and do everything possible to keep the house cool, but it's been miserable. The heat is supposed to break on Saturday which is great since my work starts that day again. Enough of that. I enjoyed your an Miriam's photos very much again - I know I'm repeating myself, but I love all the attention you direct to the little creatures we tend to overlook so easily. A bed bug hunter? If it hunts bed bugs - that's a good thing, no? Just yesterday I saw a German crime show where bed bugs were the reason for a rather gruesome murder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mere thought of bed bugs is enough to induce terror in some people!

      Delete
  30. Thank you for this extraordinary selection of nature photos.
    I especially loved the pictures of the Halloween Pennant, what a fantastic insect.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow David! This is a beautiful post. So many face of life. The photos are gorgeous. If you like seeing the geese then you should come to Oregon. We have millions of them here. Thank you for joining Friday Face OFF and have a very nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi David - well we've had quite a lot of rain here in the south east - not enough, but a helpful dose - I sheltered under an east facing wall, under a horse chestnut and managed to avoid a deluge - just!!

    I love the range of life here - that Masked Hunter is 'beautiful' ... while I remember seeing a programme on formica ants - I think this 'nest' was in Austria/Germany - it was enormous ... but totally fascinating to see. The Clover Looper ... I misread for a clever lopper?! Thanks for all you do for us here - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  33. I didn’t realize you were having such a hot, dry spell. You managed to find lots of pretty things in spite of it. The flowers are such brilliant colors as is the swallowtail butterfly. We have had one on the lantana in our backyard for several days and its colors are so faded it looks like it’s been in the sun too long. Elderly, I’m guessing.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hello David,
    Beautiful collection of nature photos. The Herons, Egrets and dragonflies are all beautiful and my favorites. The Masked Hunter is a strange looking bug. Lovely flowers. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend! PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your photos of insects are especially interesting. I have scanned the comments and I'm surprised that my reaction to your thoughts on the ant seemingly hasn't been expressed yet. You remind me of the proverb "Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise!"

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was unfamiliar with the proverb, Mae, and perhaps others are too!

      Delete
  36. I love Canada geese and we have a pond in town that always has them. I try to avoid bugs but sometimes they run into me when I hike and I always have a red spot or two...or three after I hike. Love your photos of things big and small!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Some of your photographs should be plastered on the front pages of our Red States where most of our climate denier's live. They would tell you that it is a hoax put out by Dems so they could spend more money on Wind Farms. But, on the brighter side ... all of your photos are wonderful teaching moments and the bluet (do you ever think of how strong his legs must be to hold the weight of his body out like that?) and the Halloween Pennant are spectacular. I agree, I love the geese (though they can be nasty if you come too close ... hiss, hiss :). Their success in conquering the world (as you put it) is extraordinary and should be applauded as is the case for your ring-billed Gull. They used to spend time on our lake in inordinate numbers. Have you ever watched them swallow a large fish whole? OMG, I thought he would choke, but down it went and off he went with out missing a step or a flap of the wing :) Your little unknown bug looks like some version of the ladybug ... perhaps you have found a new species :) The nymph of the Masked Hunter is interesting to say the least, though I am not sure I would call him charming. Like you, I have taken great care with a piece of paper to remove an insect (mostly spiders) from inside ... except in the winter when I know they wouldn't survive, I try to learn to live with them ... and my family all know better then to kill one so they are living with them too :P Captivating all, David, as always. Stay well and stay cool ...

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
  38. La falta de lluvias es un problema muy grande. Eso lo estamos notando bien en el sur de España.En invierno hubo muy pocas precipitaciones y las altas temperaturas del verano ha hecho agravar el problema.
    Muy buena serie de imágenes la de tu reportaje, con extraordinarias muestra de la Naturaleza.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Beautiful photos and a splendid report with butterflies, birds and plants. I liked seeing the egrets, I don't usually see them although this summer, I saw some in the Ebro delta and I'm trying to identify them.
    Many kisses.

    Preciosas fotos y un espléndido reportaje con mariposas, aves y plantas. Me ha gustado ver las garcetas, no suelo verlas aunque este verano, por el delta del Ebro vi algunas y que estoy tratando de identificar.
    Muchos besos.

    ReplyDelete
  40. You capture such beautiful photos of nature, David. I especially like your dragonflies. They are not easy to photograph. We've had a sunny week with temperatures hovering around 100ºF/37.7C, but today it is rainy and the temperature has dropped to 48ºF/8.8ºC. What a relief. I hope that your area cools off soon.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I had no idea how bad your summer has been. It's always sad when usually permanent pools dry up. We have a number of shallow lakes and ponds in the bush around us and most of them dry during the summer although a few of the deeper pools remain. Some of the newer housing developments in the area have artificial lakes and while their banks are manicured grass at least they provide some respite for wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hello David, :=) Very interesting ant dwelling, and very different than the large mounds of earth I see here occupied by ants, Beautiful Egret captures, and the Halloween Pennant, Labrador moth, and Beautiful Black Swallowtail butterfly are all new to me, and exceedingly attractive. Amusing comments about your Canada Geese, :=O and why not take pride in them. I also have a particular fondness for monogamous species. I enjoyed seeing all the flowers and bugs, but not the creepy last image.
    All the best, and hugs from Portugal.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Such a good selection of birds, flowers and insects.
    Thank you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  44. hello David
    searched the whole bed with a magnifying glass.. all clear. no bugs found...
    Here, too, water has become an expensive commodity, but there are also people who stand in the garden and soak their lawn with water... these people also exist all over the world... that's sad
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
  45. A lovely tour of nature, and as always, with lots to learn. Canada geese are plentiful here in NJ, we're always ready to halt traffic as they take their time crossing the street.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Nos abeilles ont beaucoup souffert cet été. Trop de chaleur. Il y avait de l'eau pour les oiseaux et abeilles mais elles n'avaient plus rien à butiner, elles ont consommé le miel qu'elles avaient préparé.
    Ce Grand héron est superbe ! Très belles photos David.
    Gros bisous et à bientôt.

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers