Friday, June 03, 2022

Book Review - The Princeton Guide to Pterosaurs - Princeton University Press

 


     I think that everyone who has ever seen a Great Blue Heron in flight, or perhaps a Marabou Stork or a Jabiru, has entertained the thought that the bird looks prehistoric, that it somehow conjures in the imagination what we imagine early bird radiation must have looked like. I have even heard people utter, "It looks like a pterodactyl!"
     There is also a perception that pterodactyls (and all pterosaurs were not pterodactyls) were huge, lumbering beasts, capable of flight, but unable to achieve fine adjustment in the air, and were little more than soaring archosaurs. 
     This book lays to rest all of these myths. Airborne pterosaurs ranged from as small as modern day swallows to the equivalent of flying trucks. They could achieve subtle movements while airborne, enabling feeding and escape from predators, and used various methods to get off the ground.
     This book is the most complete examination of pterosaurs that I have seen and when the last page is turned the reader has a comprehensive understanding of the beast, from history to biology, to life style to extinction. One is even taken on an imaginary pterosaur safari. Move over Jurassic Park! 
     The text is wonderfully crafted, displaying great command of language, with nuance and style, all the while presented in a manner that no one would have any difficulty following. It is a fascinating and detailed account of a long departed group of animals that has intrigued humanity ever since.
     Gregory S. Paul not only provides the scintillating text, his skeletal drawings and other illustrations are carefully crafted to support the story being told. Let me cite just one example. On page 67 there is an enchanting black-and-white illustration with the following caption, "Pteranodon feeding on fish and belemnite schools driven to the surface by the mosasaur Platecarpus." Surely one sees the origins of modern behaviour when cetaceans herd fish from below and birds plunder the shoals from above. Pictures such as this really make the text come alive for me.
     From an artistic perspective the most splendid accomplishment of all is reserved for the species descriptions, where each species is shown in glorious colour, depicting the colourful crests possessed by so many. The coloured illustrations are enchantingly detailed, evocative, even haunting in some cases, yet conveying the impression of wonder such as might have been created by a child. This is not to infer that the pictures are in any way childlike, but they nevetheless impart the sense of mystery that comes from creating scenes that can only be inferred from fossil records and other clues, and that we will never see. Accompanying drawings depicting skeletal details and representations of flight are splendidly done.
     This is a very fine book. As someone who has studied birds for as long as I can remember, there is so much to incite my imagination, I will be consulting this book for many years to come.
     Bravo, Gregory Paul!

The Princeton Field Guide to Pterosaurs
Gregory S. Paul
Hardcover - US$29.95 - ISBN 9780691180175
184 pages - colour and black-and-white illustrations
8.5 x 11 inches (21.25 x 27.5 cm)
Publication date: 7 June, 2022

     

David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

26 comments:

  1. It sounds absolutely wonderful. Thank you - and drat you.
    It is pelicans in flight that most clearly show their dinosaur heritage to me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...this is one of many areas that I know nothing about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy reading your bookreviews, David. I can imagine your library full of books. You must have many books in your house.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My library sometimes impresses even me, Marit!

      Delete
  4. I sadly never saw such a bird... Here we have mostly city doves, that we call "flying rats". Aggressive birds and poop everywhere. Because dumb people throw (fast) food away and they have learned to snatch away food, too. So... a delight to see the birds you show here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These creatures have long fascinated me. This is a book that I think I must have. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This informative review left me wondering if it is really possible to determine the colours displayed by these creatures, or whether there's a bit of 'poetic licence' being used. This book is probably a step too far for me, even if it did give the answer to that question!

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are various analytical techniques applied to fossil remains that can determine the colour, Richard.

      Delete
  7. The book is good if the myths are dismantled.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a book absolutely to your taste, glad you will be able to profit from it for many years. BIG hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have a lot of Blue Heron here and I have seen many take off for flight and in flight. Most of the time they are in the wet lands or in water. However, this year I have seen the Blue Heron in commercial farm lands where there is no water around. I am sure this book would tell me why? I want to thank you for identifying the black birds on my fence. You are the best. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. David, you make a book that sounds like something I would never even think to pick up sound like a must-read! It really does sound interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. J'aime bien les dinosaures, alors sans doute que j'aimerai ce livre!Bon weekend

    ReplyDelete
  12. Many thanks for the review.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sound like a good one David.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How wonderful to read that an experienced bird watcher like you can find new angles and get excited. It sounds like a great book.
    Best regards Lisbeth

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd love this book. I am going to go check it out on Amazon. I only recently learned Pterosaurs are not dinosaurs. I didn't know that. But that doesn't make them any less interesting. Thanks for sharing David, and happy weekend to you. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was actually hoping you had a book review this week. You share the neatest books and have such interesting comments on them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A great review! I would dearly love to add this to my library of dozens of bird books! To me, the closest to prehistoric is the pelican. The brown pelican more-so.
    Thanks for the linking in and great comment you left for us to read

    ReplyDelete
  18. Parece un libro muy interesante. Gracias y besos amigo David.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's great that after life-long learning, you continue to be enlightened and educated by these fine books!

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers