Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Book Review - The Birds of Cuba - BOC Checklist Series: 26

 


     I count myself among the most fortunate of men to have been afforded the opportunity to go birding in Cuba on three different occasions. Indeed, I hope to do it again.
     Upon being notified that a new Annotated Checklist was in the works, I anxiously awaited its completion. Now I have it in front of me on my desk.
     It is all that I could have hoped for and more. From the cover, with its stunning image of a Bee Hummingbird, by the talented Cuban artist, Alvaro de Jesús, to the very last page, indeed to the back cover, this work informs, educates and pleases.
     I find the scholarship admirable, and the annotated checklist of the birds is only part of it. The introduction leads us to a history of ornithology in Cuba. Doubtless there are those who knew much of this, but I suspect that the majority, like me, were woefully ignorant, and will benefit greatly from this retrospective into those who have gone before. As in all things, the past sets the stage for the present.
     There is a comprehensive section on geology and geography, vegetation and habitats, wetlands and other aquatic communities, zoogeography, with a fascinating discussion of bird colonisation, endemism and island affinities. Various tables are skillfully used to elucidate the text and to present information in a pleasingly readable format. 
     There is even extensive coverage of that rarest of treasures, Cuban bird fossils, and the role they have played in understanding the current avifauna of this treasured island, the largest in the Caribbean.
    Migration, Breeding, and perhaps most importantly of all, Conservation, all receive attention in the context of Cuban ornithology.
     Observers and collectors are given their due, followed by an instructive section, entitled Presentation of the Species Accounts. 
     In all, 105 pages, jam-packed with information, enable us to better understand, appreciate and interpret the avifauna of Cuba, before getting to a single species!
     What then follows is a marvelous annotated list of all the birds, extant and extinct, with copious notes, sources, attribution, taxonomy and breeding status. It is a unique source of pleasure to read each account and relate it back to one's own experiences, all the while longing for more.
     There springs to mind great memories of sensual warmth, the pleasure of time spent with Cubans, walks through tropical forests, swatting mosquitoes in swamps while admiring spoonbills and flamingoes, being moved almost to tears at one's first Cuban Tody, marvelling at a pair of Fernandina's Flickers jousting in the legendary Ciénaga de Zapata, and seeing Cuban Trogons all around.
     The book ends with a gazetteer of Cuban place names, a list of Cuban endemics, a list of plant names used in the text, and a formidable bibliography. 
     Having spent much time burrowing into the pages of this book, there is more burrowing to be done. Without question, this is THE work on Cuban ornithology, furnishing far more information than even a high quality field guide could do.
     I cannot imagine that anyone with even a passing interest in Cuban ornithology would not wish to have a copy of this book, and for anyone contemplating a trip there to observe or study birds, it would be sheer folly to go without it.

The Birds of Cuba - An Annotated Checklist
Arturo Kirkconnell, Guy M. Kirwan, Orlando H. Garrido, Andy D. Mitchell and James W. Wiley
Softcover - 472 pages - 32 pages of full colour illustrations - maps, charts, tables
ISBN 9780952288671   24 x 16cm
British Ornithologists' Club, Tring, United Kingdom

     
     
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

49 comments:

  1. Your posts always make me wish that I had paid more attention to my grandparents and their love of bird watching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Bee Hummingbird is very beautiful, David. I am sure Cuba is a nice country to visit. It sounds like a wonderful book too.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your always comprehensive and informative reviews. How I would enjoy spending days (and days) in your library.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is especially high praise, particularly because it is a place you have been and have experienced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great place to visit, and the way that those poor people have been victimized by sanctions is shameful in the extreme. Thank goodness that Canada never stopped trade and other contacts with Cuba.

      Delete
  5. Una hermosa presentación que no me cabe la menor duda, es un libro de aves que tiene que llamar poderosamente la atención. Gracias querido amigo por tan bella ilustración. Este libro precisamente intentaré hacerme con él. Ese colibrí abeja de portada es una autentica maravilla.
    Un fuerte abrazo querido profesor de tu siempre amigo Juan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...you are fortunate to not be an American!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds a must for anyone interested in the birdlife of Cuba. Your enthusiasm is infectious and makes me want to head out to Cuba to see it for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello David, :=) The book sounds absolutely wonderful.I'm glad it brought back happy memories of your visit to Cuba.

    Thank you so much for your observation on my post.It has now been
    corrected. I didn't mean to post your comment, but did so by mistake.:=) Sending you hugs, and a big thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hola, David.
    Qué preciosidades compartes. Ya sean de Cuba o de Ontario, la Naturaleza nos envía su vida deslumbrante. Felicidades.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a small island and so much birding available!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're lucky to have visited Cuba 3 times. Here in the states visiting the island all depends on who's in the White House. I looked into going for my 60th birthday, and of course with that last president, travel was closed to us unless you went on a tour, which didn't work with our work schedules. Then covid arrived. Now I'm hoping Covid retreats enough that maybe in the next few years I can go there. Maybe sometime you'll share some photos of the island. have a great rest of your week. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very sad that the positive initiatives taken by President Obama have all been reversed and even with another Democratic president now, there have been no attempts to re-engage.

      Delete
  12. Sound an interesting book also memories it's brought back for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. C'est sans doute un beau voyage si vous y êtes allés 3 fois.
    Il doit y avoir beaucoup de jolis oiseaux comme ce petit colibri. Bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les oiseaux sont vraiment beaux et très intéressants aussi.

      Delete
  14. I am quite jealous that I am not an ornithologist and going to Cuba. I hope you get the chance again.
    Best regards Lisbeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will let you know before I go there again and I will meet you at the airport. You will study botany and I will study birds. What a great combination, Lisbeth!

      Delete
  15. Dear David,
    oh, I needed this book in 2014 (that's sooo long ago...) - we were in Cuba, and we saw some birds there too (you can see some of them in my travelogue: https://rostrose .blogspot.com/p/blog-page_22.html ) ... We saw hummingbirds and pelicans and vultures... But sometimes we also saw birds that I couldn't identify. I'm not an ornithologist at all. For example, we saw birds that I first thought were a kind of "crested gull" - only years later I discovered that they were king terns :-DD. Maybe you can even tell me the name of the bird you see on the first collage of my introductory page - top right. I asked a local and he told me the bird is called "Toti" (or something like that) but I couldn't find anything about it...
    Thank you also very much for your lovely lines to my Italy travel report. Yes, there are places in Italy that are very crowded. Venice is definitely one of them, but I think because of Covid, the number of cruise ships and tourists isn't that big anymore... If you come to Venice outside of the main tourist season, it's very nice... I've heard about Slovenia too is a wonderful country - it's already on our list, but the list is long, traveling is not easy at the moment - and unfortunately we can't be in several places at the same time ;-)
    All the best from Austria,
    Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2022/03/von-fischen-die-tomaten-dungen-von.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Traude: The bird is a Cuban Blackbird, a very common species, especially around the resorts.

      Delete
  16. We´ve been to Cuba 3 times but I must sadly admit, I cannot recall having seen any outstanding birds. I think we were in the wrong place for that/my eyes aren´t trained on this. Sad, in the aftermath!
    Would you like to share some pics?

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's highly doubtful that I will ever visit Cuba, David, but if I do, based on your review, I will be getting this book. Lindsay and I were once booked to go, but lost confidence and bailed out when the travel organisation that we'd booked through started changing all the arrangements including the region that we'd been booked to stay in.

    Best wishes to you and Miriam - - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really too bad that your trip never came to fruition, Richard. I am sure you would have enjoyed your time there.

      Delete
  18. Hi David - you certainly enticed me with your extraordinary review of this book - it sounds amazing ... just to see, even if not owned. I've never been to Cuba - though friends I've known were able to visit - and loved it ...

    There's so much more knowledge being made available nowadays about evolution of all things ... and the culture in many parts of the world.

    Thanks for this - I loved the read - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like a wonderful and very useful bird guide for the island.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi David, beautiful bird on the cover of the book of Cuba. I love books too but sometimes they are expensive. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This truly sounds like an impressive piece of work! I am sure it's a valuable guide for any bird enthusiast. Thanks for the review, David!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dear David!
    It is a great pleasure to read your posts and I always admire perfect photos. I've never been to Cuba and probably won't see the country again.
    Thank you very much for remembering, comments and I am glad that you are my virtual friend.
    Greetings - Łucja

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful photo on the cover. I admire photographers who can capture images of birds. Birds tend not to stand still very long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I would just reply to your comment to say that the cover is not a photo, but a painting by a Cuban artist, Alvaro de Jesús. He would be delighted that you thought it was a photograph!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for this comment, Andy. I will immediately add the information to the post so that Alvaro receives his due.

      Delete
  24. Very interesting David! I have never made it to Cuba myself. I can imagine being on the beaches there now as we got a late March snow storm lol! ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cuba is very accessible to Canadians, Rain, and not expensive.

      Delete
  25. My goodness, Annotated Checklist sounded rather plain but your description makes it clear this is much more than a list!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sounds like a great book, glad you have given it youe imprimatur. Love the fancy names of some of the birds. Have a great day, take care, BIG hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sounds like a very interesting read David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More than interesting, Carol. When (if?) I return to Cuba, it will enable me to plan my trip with precision!

      Delete
  28. Na Kubie nie byłam i pewnie tam nie pojadę. Ale uwielbiam książki o ptakach z całego świata.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I enjoyed your review and am tempted to get the book. I am a wanna be bird lover meaning I am fascinated and love seeing birds at home and in our travels but have never really taken the time to learn and study them. I was in Cuba one time for just a few days from a cruise. It was wonderful but I didn't get to go bird watching. Now, from the US I don't believe we can go to Cuba.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Interesante libro, me gustaría tenerlo para poder aprender más de aves. Tenía pensado hace unos años ir a Cuba, me hubiera gustado ir en al era Castro. En estos últimos años la economía de mi país cayó bastante, por lo que en lo que a mi respecta es casi imposible ir,...quien sabe en unos años si podré. Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  31. Seguro que es un libro precioso. Abrazos querido amigo David.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I had to google Cuban Tody to see what kind of bird could move one to tears. I get it - what a beauty! Glad you found the book so enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers