Sunday, July 18, 2021

Book Review - Lizards of the World, A Guide to Every Family - Princeton University Press

 


     My affection for lizards goes back a long way. When I was much younger than I am now I journeyed on an unairconditioned cargo ship down the coast of West Africa. Our first port of call was in Dakar in Senegal, and children came to the ship with lizards carefully wrapped in large leaves, to sell to us. They were invaluable in keeping insects under control in our cabins and helping us sleep despite the heat.
     I have been fond  of lizards ever since and on a visit to Cambodia eight years ago Tokay Geckos performed the same service for Miriam and me, in addition to entertaining us with their vocalizations. Our accommodations were very basic and the geckos found their own way into the cabins. We certainly enjoyed their company, and perhaps they enjoyed ours too.
     I was excited to receive this book from Princeton University Press for review, and became more excited as I worked my way through it. Its subtitle is "A Guide to Every Family", but it is much more than that. The first eighty-five pages are devoted to providing a complete understanding of what makes a lizard a lizard. I learned a lot, and I can't imagine that most readers wouldn't also. Even a trained herpetologist would benefit from a review of these pages. Let me give you the titles working up to coverage of the orders and families.

Evolution and Origins of Lizards
Plate Tectonics and Timelines
Taxonomy of Lizards
Internal Anatomy
Lizard Skin
Sense Organs
Life in Extreme Conditions
Locomotion
Reproduction
Diet
Defense
Conservation

     It behooves us to remember that our planet was once ruled by reptiles  and may be again if we don't get serious about tackling climate change.
     The book covers every lizard family in the world, with important details on each. It may surprise some to discover that lizards are found from the hottest regions of the world, to some very cold locations, and have developed successful adaptations to survive in both environments. They are found from low deserts to high mountain peaks. Environment often affects their means of locomotion and camouflage is a vital protective strategy for many. They play an important role both as predator and as prey. 
     Like so many other organisms in the Anthropocene numerous lizard species are suffering threats of various kinds, including loss of habitat and introduced predators against which they have no defence. The Tuatara of New Zealand, for example, the last surviving member of the order Rhynchocephalia, clings to a precarious existence on a few islands cleansed of invasive cats and rats. It should never be overlooked that protection for lizards carries with it protection for all other species.
     Even the vaunted and much feared Komodo Dragon is suffering a decline in its numbers.
     Informative range maps are included with the text to show world distribution at a glance. 
     A helpful glossary is provided, along with links to other resources, both in print and on the internet.
     I recommend this work to weekend herpetophile and seasoned scientist alike. The photographs alone make every page a joy!

Lizards of the World - Princeton University Press
Author: Mark O'Shea
Hardcover - $29.95 - ISBN: 9780691198699
Published: 18 May 2021
240 pages - 350 colour plates, plus charts, illustrations and maps
6.75 x 9.56 in. (16.875 x 23.9 cm)
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

33 comments:

  1. I have always liked lizards and love geckos and anoles! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful illustrations, David. I have only seen them on tv.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    ...my list is growing!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Encore un livre qui doit être très intéressants, et avec de belles images. Bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got an education simply reading this post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what an amazing score. I have a very soft spot for lizards and find them fascinating (despite my fascination being largely ignorant).

    ReplyDelete
  7. An interestng book, specially if it have nice pics
    Saludos amigo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must say I don't know anything about lizards.
    It certainly sounds a good book with excellent photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Professor, how was your summer,
    How is Miriam? already much better, i hope.
    I, to be elemental of nature, to be infinitesimal,
    I am delighted to read your post,
    but my wings have flapped too much and
    i felt on the edge of the abyss ...
    my heart was unleashed in the wind,
    in the ocean, I am a fairy
    and i love with all my heart my friends
    the sylphides and unicorns ...
    but I am afraid of reptiles!!!!
    Greetings dear friend, good start to the week ahead 😍🦄🧚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes, Carolina, your comments are priceless!

      Delete
  10. Fascinating. I always enjoy encountering the lizards - mostly anoles and geckos - that are at home in my yard.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Buen libro, gracias por la reseña .Siempre es bueno aprender Te mando un beso

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like lizards too, but didn't know that made me a herpetophile, which just shows the level of my ignorance. Maybe I should read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a great book. We don't see many lizards here, but in Israel there were always lots, outside and inside, I had fun watching them. And as they eat the insects, they are welcome guests! Have a great, new week, stay safe. Hugs to you and Miriam, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a unique species of lizard in Israel called Benjaminus netanyahuensis.

      Delete
  14. Seems an informative book on Lizards. Have come across many species of lizards in my time travelling within Australia. Love the geckos who just appear in the house and run along the walls, first encounter was in Queensland when staying at youngest sons house when he lived there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lizards are fantastic creatures... I love this... Happy week

    ReplyDelete
  16. Buenos días amigo David, una gran recomendación amigo mío. De lagartos sé más bien poco y estoy seguro que este libro recomendado para cualquier inexperto será una gran obra.
    Un fuerte abrazo y buena semana querido amigo y compadre.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Everything you wanted to know about lizards. Sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Una obra de fácil comprensión con magníficas ilustraciones y muy didáctico, recomendable. Gracias por compartir estos libros David, un fuerte abrazo desde España.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Interesante. Me gusta verlas ahora que son pequeñas y hay que er rápido para pillarlas :))
    Buena noche David. Y cuidaros que parece que volvemos atrás.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Otro libro interesante ¿ pero estará en español ? Abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Geckos are the sweetest little things. When I managed the then resort on Hinchinbrook Island in north Queensland they were permanent, welcome residents.

    The goannas were large and frequent visitors, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt they were part of the attraction for the guests.

      Delete
  22. Looks like a very comprehensive and interesting book to have around. We have lots of geckos here and we leave them alone as they 'll catch the mossies and other flying insects. But they do leave a lot of "poo" around along the window stills! I love large monitor lizards. Most people are scared but I just love to watch them waddling along and flicking their tongues!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have never seen a gecko in nature, only in a botanical garden.
    Lizards have settled in my garden.
    Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those baby bunnies were hands down my favorite images in this post, David. When in RI last week and even here in Nashua, NH, we have seen a definite explosion of bunnies this year.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi David - how very interesting ... another book I'd love to look through ... I remember the lizards when I visited Namibia ... fascinating wildlife.
    A youngster (4) recently found a dinosaur print in west Wales - which is now housed and on display in the Cardiff Museum - amazing discovery. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi David, I'm very fond of lizards and our yard has a number of different species to enjoy. My little granddaughter finds them endlessly fascinating, too.

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers