Monday, February 15, 2021

Random Memories of Australia - Part 7

     During this period of lockdown at one level of severity or another, I am sure that many of us have been scouring our photographic archives, and I am no exception. If your experience resembles mine, there are treasures to be uncovered, and memories to be awoken.
     I am happy to present more birds from my 2018 trip to Australia. The recall that these images have inspired has been very pleasurable, and I hope you  will continue to enjoy the wonderful birds from down under.
     While I am at it, let me put in a plug for one of the most remarkable books I have read in a long time. For anyone interested in Australia's birds, Where Song Began, Tim Low's account of Australian birds and how they changed the world, is essential reading.
     And now, on to the birds.

Australian King Parrot (Alisterus scapularis)

     We did not encounter Australian King Parrot as frequently as we did some of the other parrots, but we did see it in both New South Wales and Victoria on more than one occasion.


     As befits the name King Parrot it is quite a large bird (42 cm.) and comports itself with an undeniable regal demeanour. It favours densely forested areas but in recent years has learned to exploit suburban gardens and parks for easily secured food dispensed by humans.
     Scarlet is heavily favoured for ceremonial robes, both for royalty and religion; doubtless that preference was a factor in the bird acquiring its name.


     The female is slightly more subdued, but no less splendidly attractive.


     Despite the vivid red and green which dominate the colour pattern of both sexes, you will note how easy it is for the birds to blend into their background and you may walk past them without noticing them as long as they remain still and quiet.


     This bird is undeniable royalty in my house!

Musk Lorikeet (Glossopsitta concinna)

     Perhaps rivalled only by the lovebirds of Africa, lorikeets of all species seem to portray a level of affection for a partner, akin to human relationships in the eyes of those who wish to so construe it.
     When we met our first Musk Lorikeets it had been raining, and continued to rain on and off, a situation in which the birds seemed to take great delight.


    No doubt they welcomed the opportunity to clean their feathers, but once bedraggled it was time to snuggle up to that special other.


     A little reciprocal nuzzling seemed just what the parrot love counsellor ordered.


     I don't recall, in fact, ever seeing a single Musk Lorikeet, they were always in pairs or part of a small group.


     Musk Lorikeets are known to be so intent when feeding that they ignore danger, and were labelled as  stupid birds when they refused to leave the tree even when shot at. Isn't it amazing how we are so quick to interpret trust as stupidity? Surely only humans can make that leap of pejorative idiocy. 

Yellow Wattlebird (Anthochaera paradoxa)

     I have already covered two of the three wattlebirds we saw, and now I turn my attention to the final one, the Yellow Wattlebird, a Tasmanian endemic.


     This is Australia's largest honeyeater and the long, pendulous deep yellow wattles are clearly visible.
     The belly is also a rich, sulphurous yellow.


     Yellow Wattlebirds gather at blooming eucalypts and other blossoms, sometime in small groups where they feed avidly together.
     Its voice is a harsh croak or cough which some have described as resembling vomiting! Yellow Wattlebird is clearly not ranked highly on the musical scale! 


     As is the case with many honeyeaters, Yellow Wattlebird has learned to exploit gardens, where it becomes quite tame.

Dusky Robin (Melanodryas vittata)

     After the many highly colourful Australian birds I have presented so far, you are going to find this Tasmanian endemic quite dull - but no less charming!


     It is basically a plain brown bird, which may be encountered singly, in pairs or in small groups.


     Typically, it feeds from a perch, dropping down to capture insects.
     It was quite common in suitable habitat, viz open woodland, forest edges, scrub and gardens.


     It was commonly seen on the ground at Inala, and Bruny Island is in fact one of its strongholds.

Maned Duck (Chenonetta jubata)

     We observed this species, also known as Australian Wood Duck, more frequently than any other species of duck. And often a pair had young in tow.
     It is the familiar duck of parks and public places, not averse to approaching humans to mooch a little food.
    I always found Maned Duck handsome, appealing, and a welcome addition to my day. It became like a predictable old friend.



     Are they not a stunning pair?


     This species nests in tree holes but is quite willing to accept a suitable substitute and takes readily to nest boxes. Breeding is frequently triggered by rainfall and can be initiated throughout the year.
     Dump laying often occurs so the number of eggs hatched and the parentage of the young is variable.


     Both parents take an active role in raising the family, and it seemed to us the male had a special duty in corralling errant ducklings back to the group!
     Like ducklings the world over, cuteness is their hallmark. Feel at liberty to choose your adjective. Oohs and ahs are permitted!



Australian Magpie (Gymnorhina tibicen)

     If one were asked to identify the most ubiquitous and successful Australian bird, Australian Magpie would be a candidate for that honour.


     Named a magpie by early settlers it has no connection with the magpies of Europe, Asia and North America which are corvids; it is in fact a large butcherbird adapted for life on the ground.


     Dirt on the bill of the bird above is clearly visible, indicative of its habit of probing into the soil for juicy invertebrates. 
     Many Australians seem to have a bit of a love/hate relationship with this species. 


     Its song is melodious and cheerful, but it can leave a lawn in disarray following a session of feeding, especially when two are three individuals are  involved.
     During the breeding season it is known to attack humans with unrestrained ferocity. It appears to be able to identify individuals, cyclists for example, and target them as victims of its wrath. An attack on the head that draws blood is not unknown.
     We were never subjected to the ire of a discontented magpie, however, and enjoyed every moment they bestowed their company upon us.



Another Australian Treasure

     When I first started blogging, I never imagined that real friendships would develop with people I had never seen, yet would come to know well, and cherish.
     Sue Goldberg of Canberra is one of those people.
     Sue sends me feathers!


     Throughout the world indigenous cultures have found inspiration, guidance and strength from feathers. Some North American first nations, for example, revere an eagle feather, believing that the strength and courage of the bird can be acquired by the human holding the feather. Feathers are totemic, and one does not have to be swayed by the metaphysical implications attributed to them, to know that they are special.
     As I look across my desk to the bookshelves on the wall opposite I see exactly what you see in the picture above.
     These are primarily feathers shed by Sulphur-crested Cockatoos (Cacatua galerita) and Long-billed Corellas (Cacatua tenuirostris) and the dark primary feather at the right is that of a Cape Barren Goose (Cereopsis novaehollandiae) that I collected on Philip Island in Victoria, to complete the Australian connection.
     Sue sends not only flight feathers, but contour feathers too, soft, fluffy, fragile, delicate.


     For Sue, more than most people, understands the essence of birds. There is more to them than biometrics and classification, more than a name on a list, a target to tick off for the day, a perfect photograph. She feels, at the very core of her being I hasten to add, that birds are wonders that bring joy to our lives, magnify our sense of awe, and render apparent the privilege of knowing them.


     And nothing has the power to remind us of birds more than feathers. Indeed feathers are the very character that defines a bird.
     Sue has Sulphur-crested Cockatoos visit her regularly, and watches in dismay as they decapitate her flowers. She has aptly named them Sulphur-crested Vandals. But she loves them! She understands that we have taken their habitat from them, usurped their food sources, removed trees in which they breed, and if we have to suffer a little annoyance or inconvenience it is a small price to pay for sharing our lives with them.


     A feather does not make a bird, but it does have the power to make me know that a life spent with birds has been the best choice I could have made.
     Thank you Sue Goldberg. Thank you again and again.

 
      
     

  

David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

59 comments:

  1. Another delightful post on the Australian birds and I realise over and over again how much I missed when we visited so many years ago with my Brownie Box camera!!
    Hope that all is well there. Looking forward to later in the year when we might just get a bit more freedom. Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We emerge from severe lockdown tomorrow and go into a slightly less stringent situation. I am losing track of all the designations they have and just how much freedom is extended to us. One thing for sure is that I won't be getting on a plane to Australia any time soon!

      Delete
  2. Hari OM
    Every one a delight - and the tawny shades in the Dusky Robin are as fine as in brash red and green to my eye. As you know, David, I too am having to mine the archives, but it does bring joy of remembrance and, I realised, freshness to those who are newer to the blog. So play away and bring us many more!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right - I do love the sulphur crested vandals - which doesn't stop me gunning for them (with a pump action water pistol) when they are in full destructo mode. I am pretty certain that they laugh at me. Loud and long.
    Magpies are another bird I adore and their warble sings of home to me. Yes I have been swooped (though never at home because those birds recognise me). I still love them. Awe and wonder sums it up beautifully. With generous splashes of delight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful feathers and birds, David.
    I notice that you have many books about birds. I guess you have many of them. Do you have a parrot in your home?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marit: Despite a whole lifetime dealing with wildlife I have never had any inclination to have animals of any kind in my home. Miriam is wild enough!

      Delete
  5. Sue is definitely a lovely and generous and caring person.... she sent you feathers! She sent me Marmite!!!! Hi Sue!
    I remember seeing lots of those black and white magpies when I was in Australia. They seemed to appear everywhere I went.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably also saw Magpie-Lark, another quite common black-and-white bird. Which part of Australia did you visit?

      Delete
    2. All around North Island of NZ, then Western Australia (Perth, Albany, Margaret River) then Melbourne and area, then ACT, then Blue Mountains, then Brisbane and Noosa. All around the edge, never made it to the middle. Saving that for next time, if we are ever allowed to travel again!!!!

      Delete
    3. It helps to have lots of Australian relatives to visit!!!!

      Delete
  6. hello David
    I just watched part 6 and already part 7 is here,
    beautiful
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello David,
    What a wonderful post again. It´s a pitty if photo´s are staying in the archive, a place where nobody will see them. Keep posting!!!
    Marijke

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your mention of the Australasian Magpies brought back memories from New Zealand where they are common as well. I had plenty near me when I lived near Napier. However I was in Northland during nesting time and they were really vicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that in New Zealand they have a special proclivity to attack people who iron sheets, Graham!

      Delete
    2. I like your sense of humour, David.

      Delete
  9. A wonderful display of Australian birds, David. Miriam's photos are absolutley beautiful. She does an excellent job catching the beauty of these birds. Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful new week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The reciprocal 'nuzzling' picture is so, so cute!
    I totally agree with you and Sue, that birds bring joy to our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ask me, a little reciprocal nuzzling is always good!

      Delete
  11. Toujours de beaux oiseaux, et les plumes sont un doux souvenir, une grande plume jaune cela doit être rare. Bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi David!
    Very nice feathers and birds!
    Luckily I don't live in Australia because I would take all kinds of parrots home with me! 🦜

    ReplyDelete
  13. A wood duck pair, living on the ponds in front of our house, has hatched 18 ducklings. They took a walk past our home yesterday. I so hope they all survive.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Muchas gracias David por tan hermosas aves y tu gran comentario. Me encantan las fotos donde se ven tan tiernos y amorosos. Las fotos son geniales. Un enorme abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Where Song Began....what an excellent title. Sue is such a precious person.

    I loved the narrative along with photos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi David,
    Here we are also confined and I have also been looking at the photo archives and finding "memories" to share.
    All the birds are so beautiful, but I was really delighted with the 6th photo, what tenderness.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love all of these creatures but I especially love the ducks and ducklings. Isn’t the magpie a handsome bird? Love the bright green birds too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the sweet, modest little robin and the ducklings. Even after spending hours seeking ways to avert the attacks of nesting magpies (which were attacking my grandchildren), I still love them. Generations of them nested in the same tree on the farm for years and have never been a problem since the children grew up. I think they might have been too noisy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am really enjoying your bird trip to Australia the photos are gorgeous. when we raising allot of Australian birds in our aviaries the lori's and lorikeet's were some of my favorites. thanks for the book recommendation will check it our

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think I like the way Sue thinks! That's really very beautiful. Love the feathers. And more gorgeous birds. Today I've got a crush on the loving lorikeets. Happy memories, David. I'm so glad you shared them here.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The King Parrot deserves his regal title. He's beautiful.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  22. I remember some of those species from my one and only trip down-under and am delighted to make the acquaintance of others. The friends that I stayed with had a magpie nesting in one of their trees, it completely ignored them but took a profound dislike to having an invading Pom on their territory and did its best to frighten me away, though it never actually attacked.

    ReplyDelete
  23. We are very lucky here in Australia - so many beautiful birds. I love watching lorikeets - and I love the photos you were able to get of them, they look super affectionate indeed! And yes, not very keen on magpies - have been swooped too many times, and they get quite aggressive especially during spring. I've never been hurt but they give you quite the scare!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Apreciado amigo, que maravilla de reportajes nos dejas, es todo un placer poder contemplar tan majestuosas y bellas aves y en algunos casos, poder comprobar su ternura. Nunca he llegado a comprender como puede un humano disparar a un ave.
    Recibe un fuerte y sincero abrazo de tu amigo y compadre Juan.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It is totally apparent from comments on your blog, David that your treasured memories are giving the rest of us a great deal of pleasure - thank you for sharing them. I know it is a hackneyed expression, but I think that it is more than appropriate in the circumstances!

    I know that you are not the only person to have a place in their hearts for special feathers - I have them too, and I suspect that there are many others out there.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you again for showing us the wonders to be seen in Australia David. Such amazing birds and colours. I see now that I am not the only one collecting feathers of birds. If possible I take them home if I find them on my walks. And to answer your question on my latest blog, about vacination, sorry but not yet. Somewere in March if all goes well with delivery by the producers.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi David.

    Miriam took beautiful pictures.
    What will you have enjoyed there.
    So beautiful.
    Super.

    Greetings from Patricia.

    ReplyDelete
  28. So many types of beautiful birds. I love the gorgeous King Parrot. Its wonderful to be able to retrieve all these photos from the archives. Take care and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your posts are always such a treat David! Gorgeous. I love to watch the birds allthough know very little of them. Wishing a pleasant week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I am glad that you enjoy seeing them at least.

      Delete
  30. I guess one would never run out of amazing birds to watch in Australia. As far as feathers go, we have peacocks in our neighborhood and collect the feathers they drop. They are all over our house in various arrangements.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Lovely trip back in time David. All the birds are fabulous, but the Australian King Parrot is nothing short of regal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And if you were a bird, Carol, we would call you Queen Parrot!

      Delete
  32. Another wonderful post for us all to enjoy, thank you.
    My favourites today are the Musk Lorikeets :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have used them the day before on Valentine's Day!

      Delete
  33. I have been perusing my archives as well. No real travel for a year has been a lot of no fun. These birds are beautiful and I find the Magpie very striking.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Que tal David! royalty in your house, for sure! with so many beautiful birds the Kingdom of Heaven nests in your garden, dear friend! between blooming gardens and
    fascinating landscapes,
    the little parrots advised by the love counselor kiss jajaja 😄😄😄
    always funny, tender and enjoyable your posts about our feathered friends!
    Greetings and hugs from a splendid night in Buenos Aires
    even Great Canada

    ReplyDelete
  35. The photos of the lorikeets nuzzling together are just so perfect and sweet.
    I quite like magpies, we have a bunch of them living in the park across the road from our house and they often come and visit us when they see us in the front garden. I give them a couple of walnuts and then they waddle across the road, which I just love to watch :) Apparently they are territorial and live in the same zone for many years and get to know the people that feed them and will never attack them. How lovely of Sue to send you Australian feathers.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi David – thanks for the reminder about Tim Low’s book; the Australian King Parrot is just brilliant to see – I don’t think I’ve even seen a KP before … special, as you say. However your note about that ‘leap of pejorative idiocy’ made me sit up – and how right you are. The Musk Lorikeets … how lovely to see them, as too the others.
    Sue is one special blogger – and it’s great she sends you feathers from the sulphur cockatoos … after they’ve fallen to the ground around her garden. Thanks Miriam again for some beautiful photos – and look after yourselves with the freeze-up … Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  37. Nos has traído unos preciosos recuerdos, me ha encantado. Abrazos amigo David.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh how beautiful my friend David! Grace of Perth Daily has shared a few colorful birds that visit her garden and they are stunning! Most birds here in my area are just either brown or a beigey grey so colorful birds are a big treat to my eyes! That magpie, I remember watching a funny vlogger going into a park filled with many magpies and he's being attacked so many times!

    Have a great weekend coming David and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  39. The birds you portray in your blogposts are all miraculous to me. For us here any bird that is not an lbj (little brown job) is an adventure. I stand and watch birds for long periods during the day but nearly all of my visitors are small, dull-coloured, and very fleet of feather, hence they don’t stay still long enough for me to make out markings. Yet, I know them all and love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Un gran redordatorio de memorias para este año demasiado aburrido amigo. Ningun viaje ni quedadas de motos y se añoran. Me gusta lo que cuentas de las plumas.
    Buen miércoles David. Cuidaros.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Such beautiful and interesting birds, especially those king parrots. I’m sure these photos have provided you with many hours of wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  42. We continue to appreciate your sharing memories of a very special trip.

    What an amazing collection of marvelous birds! You must have cherished each moment.

    Take care and go birding if you have a chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today we did, Wally. Restrictions have been eased a little, so we took ourselves down to Lake Ontario.

      Delete
  43. Hi David,
    You have certainly presented an interesting part of the Australian nature. We just have had a winterweek in the Netherlands, with snow and temparatures below zero. Nowadays this is a rarity. At the same time you realize that both worlds have a lot to offer, both with their own beauty.
    Greetings Kees

    ReplyDelete
  44. Yes, I think many have gone into their photo archives because you can't just go anywhere these days. These photos with the most beautiful birds are also beautiful to see. The parrots and parakeets but also the smaller birds have been beautifully photographed. What beautiful creatures there are on this earth 😍

    Greetings, Helma

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers