Saturday, December 19, 2020

Familiar Sparrows

     A recent comment by Joanne Noragon made me realize that the number and diversity of sparrows unique to North America are doubtless unfamiliar to many. A little brown bird in the backyard is likely to be referred to as a "sparrow", without knowing that it might be one of several species found in your area. So, Joanne's remark provided me with the impetus to do a couple of posts about some of the stunning little birds you might see in your yard, and perhaps they will lead you to identify them too. Putting a name to a bird, or any other organism for that matter, is always satisfying. If you are feeding birds, (and more people than ever are doing so), you might as well be able to name the ones that visit for a free meal!
     As long as I have some reasonable pictures I will cover many of the familiar visitors over the course of two or three posts.
     Let me begin with the most likely species and the one that is certainly familiar to all - an "alien" species, deliberately introduced into North America, with unforeseen consequences for our native cavity-nesting birds. It is an Old World Sparrow (family: Passeridae), is quite distinct from those species only found in the Americas, and is considered by many a pest. Let me remind you that WE, humans like you and me, after full consideration brought it here deliberately. Having done so, let's be kind to it.

House Sparrow (Passer domesticus)

     A male House Sparrow is a handsome bird indeed.


     The intensity and extent of the black bib indicates the overall fitness of the male, and females will select for those males whose throat adornment is bold and appealing.


     It is generally believed that such a robust individual is more resistant to parasite loads than those with inferior plumage, and on this basis the female is able to mate with a premium male with good genes to pass on to her offspring. Such a strong male, able to dominate others, will also be a good provider and assist in raising the young.
     The female is delightful, in subtle hues of brown and beige, delicately and demurely attired.



     Make no mistake, however, she is tough, and is a dedicated mother to her nestlings, providing non stop feeding and care, even after they fledge from the nest.



     Let us now turn our attention to the family Passerellidae, or New World Sparrows, found only in the Americas as the name implies. I am covering the five species I have chosen today in taxonomic sequence, not in terms of their likely frequency in your neighbourhood, but if you live where they occur you have a very good chance of seeing them.

Red Fox Sparrow (Passerella iliaca)

     There are several species of Fox Sparrow once considered subspecies of a single form, that have now been reassigned taxonomically as a result of molecular analysis, and the newly minted full species in my area is Red Fox Sparrow (Passerella iliaca).


     This is a very handsome sparrow and you can readily appreciate why it is known as a RED Fox Sparrow. It is characterized by a very pleasing rusty hue.
     It is a relatively large, chunky sparrow, and may  generally be found feeding on the ground. It may alight on a feeder but I have never witnessed it.


     In the picture above, a House Sparrow is behind the Red Fox Sparrow, giving a clear indication of just how different the two species are.

Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia)

     This is one of the most familiar sparrows of all, with distribution right across the continent. In southern Ontario it is principally a migratory species, but a few hardy individuals tough out the winter here.


     It may be easily identified by the streaky breast merging to a central dark spot and by the long tail.


     Males commonly locate a high perch from which to belt out their incessant song, warning off other males and hoping to attract a female. The song is easy to recognize, comprising two to four loud, clear whistles on the same pitch, followed by a trill.


     More often than not the male announces his presence before you see the bird; you are then drawn to it by the incessant repetition.


     This is a bird that is ubiquitous, easy to find, and it is not reluctant to come to your feeders.
     If you have not previously identified different species, Song Sparrow is a good candidate on which to hone your ID skills.

Dark-eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis)

     It would be difficult to mistake or misidentify a Dark-eyed Junco a true northener, who generally appears in our backyards around the end of October/early November. 


     There are several subspecies of this little bird, and depending on where you live, it can look different enough to be taken for another species. The form here in central/eastern North America is known as slate coloured, and it is apparent why this name is appropriate, especially when viewing the male.


     The female, and the young of the year, are more subdued, with paler greys and browns.


     Both sexes have striking white outer tail feathers, very visible in flight, but this character is somewhat duller in females.


     This is a species that can easily be attracted to your feeders, sometimes arriving in small groups of eight to twelve individuals. They are undeterred by even the most vile of winter weather and provide great entertainment as they dig for food in the snow.

American Tree Sparrow (Spizelloides aborea)

     This is an enchanting species, delicate, subdued, understated, refined. 


     It arrives from its breeding grounds on the tundra about the same time as Dark-eyed Junco, and copes with winter without apparent difficulty.


     With very little practice this species is easy to identify.


     It has a rufous cap, prominent white wing bars, a plain breast with a central spot, and bicoloured mandibles. This means that the upper part of the beak is dark and the lower part yellow with a dusky tip, clearly shown in the picture above. 


     The picture above was taken in our backyard from inside the house, and even at a distance you can see all of the identifying marks quite clearly.
     Once you learn to recognize this species you will be happy to welcome it to your feeders where it will be a constant source of joy.

Chipping Sparrow (Spizella passerina)

     You will quickly learn to recognize this tiny sparrow, whose appearance is quite distinctive.


     It has a rusty cap, black line through the eye, white supercilium, a dark bill, long notched tail and a plain breast.
     Often several individuals will be present in your yard, and once they find a reliable source of food they tend to return frequently.


     Brown-headed Cowbird (Molothrus ater), a brood parasitic bird, is known to favour Chipping Sparrows as a host species, and it is not unusual to observe a Chipping Sparrow feeding a gargantuan young cowbird.


     There is a tendency by humans to feel a great sense of injustice at this behaviour, but nature is playing out in ways that do not conform to human sensibilities, and we should be elated that we are able to observe nature writ large.


     Juvenile Chipping Sparrows look quite different from their parents, and first identification is best made by observing young birds associating with their parents.


     You will be amazed at how quickly you will be able to identify them independently, but probably better to focus on adult birds initially.
     I hope you have enjoyed this first installment of "Sparrow ID 101". It has been fun putting it together.     
  


David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

78 comments:

  1. Thanks for this David! Your pics and descriptions always provide a great way to learn. I didn't know that juncos are part of the sparrow family. Now I do,thanks to you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always happy to know that someone learned from my blog. That is the best feeling of all.

      Delete
  2. Ils sont bien différents, c'est vrai que parfois on peut appeler moineau sans trop chercher plus précisément lol.
    Jolie série de photos!
    Bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are chubby, they will not have problems in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great images David. We only have two varieties of Sparrow here in the UK, which are the House, and Tree Sparrows. So it's nice to see your American species at close quarters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hari OM
    What an absolute delight in your description, championing and presentation of these humble garden visitors, David - LBBs (little brown birds) are every bit as colourful in character and habit as any parrot and I thank you for taking this thread to embellish! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yam. As you say they are equally appealing.

      Delete
  6. Nice to meet your sparrows, as well as the one which is very familiar to me (they used to nest in the roofspace of the house I grew up in).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then I guess the name "House Sparrow" is very appropriate!

      Delete
  7. I didn't know that it was so nany different sparrows, David. Here we have two different as I know. Passer dometicus and Passer montanus. Earlier when I lived in a town I saw only P. domesticus, but here in the countryside it's only montanus.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a wonderful post! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know that there are numerous kinds of sparrows. I'll have to keep on the lookout to see what kinds are located here. Thanks for sharing, David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Ireland, Bill, there will be two species, House Sparrow (Passer domesticus) and Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus).

      Delete
  10. I tend to have trouble identifying Sparrows at times. So, thanks for the great descriptive narrative and photographs to refresh my memory.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have a lot of nice sparrows in your area. They are beautiful all of them.
    About the House Sparrows, in Sweden they are decreasing in numbers. They are replaced by the Eurasian Tree Sparrow. I´s a pity really!
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eurasian Tree Sparrow is a charming birds, and I have noticed that in many Asian cities it has almost completely supplanted House Sparrow. It would be great if they could coexist.

      Delete
  12. We've seen plenty of Chipping Sparrows and Song Sparrows, both here and at our previous home. Lovely to hear them singing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Me ha encantado ver esta entrada ¡ esos gorriones son preciosos ! hace algunos años yo pensaba que todos los gorriones que había por mi pueblo eran todos iguales, pero ahora se que hay varios distintos. Como gorrión molinero, gorrión moruno, gorrión chillón y el común. Abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much. All I know for sure around me now are House Sparrows. When I fed birds at the old house I remember identifying several different kinds of sparrows, Chipping Sparrow, for one. And, I had no idea Junco are of the sparrow family. I loved those little fellows, in their formal evening dress.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Okay, I'll try and be nicer to my house sparrows. Always forget that juncos are sparrows as well. Think we may have had a chirping sparrow hopping around last winter, going to have to watch for it again. Hope you're having a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We have (or had) house sparrows here. I say had because their numbers are in serious decline. They used to visit in their dozens and I have only seen one in months.
    A blogging friend introduced me to the varieties found in North America. Delightful birds. Close examination shows their beauty and they no longer fall in the little brown job category.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love learning about the sparrows, David.

    Incredible photography as always!

    ReplyDelete
  18. hello David
    huge selection and a lot of different birds
    very interesting
    Stay healthy
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are lovely photos, very clear on my phone. Interesting to read. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful post, I left a comment yesterday but it seems to have disappeared. Enjoy your weekend, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fantastic post as usual. As far as I know we have only 3 kind of species in my country. Passer domesticus, Passer Montanus and Prunella Modularis. It's so wonderful to have them in my little garden. Over 40 housesparrows are coming for food every day.
    Have a wonderful day and keep writing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Accentor modularis is an accentor as its name implies, in the family Prunellidae, not a sparrow. Its correct English name is Dunnock, but some people do refer to it as a Hedge Sparrow.

      Delete
    2. That should read Prunella not Accentor! DUh!

      Delete
  22. Great to visit your blog and learn so much. I have only ever come across 2 species here in the UK but it would be nice to identify different species once travel is back on the agenda.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello David,
    Great post on the Sparrows, I have a lot of Juncos here at this time. I do not see many other winter Sparrows in my yard. Your photos and descriptions are wonderful. Have a happy day and week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the Rufous Sparrow! Not just an LBJ....little brown job!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a wonderful post! Thank you, David!
    I hope your holiday season is full of peace, joy, and happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think the sparrows get a bum wrap 'cause the commoner doesn't realize the many sub-species. You have given us a start on educating us. (They're here but I have yet to find a Fox Sparrow. I keep hoping). May your holiday week be blessed with happiness. Thanks so much for sharing this post today and linking up throughout 2020.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will be impressed with Fox Sparrow when you finally locate it. It is a very handsome bird.

      Delete
  27. Thank you David for this outstanding blog about these birds. So much different kinds of Sparrows you have on the other side of the ocean. And some are realy beautiful.
    Here the House sparrow and the Eurasian Tree Sparrow are having difficult times because of loss of habitat.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
  28. Nice try, but of course I won't remember. :)

    I know junco, and I think I will now remember the house sparrow. So that is something. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi David – excellent suggestion of Joanne’s … and great we’ve got you to explain and tell us more about their stories … all little brown jobs are quite delightful when one understands their plumage and habits … I don’t think I’ve seen a red fox sparrow before … so appropriately named … the Junco – is very attractive, then the tree sparrow with its rufous cap … chipping sparrow … what a thug the cowbird looks … still adaption of life …

    Miriam's photos are excellent … brilliant post – thank you … take care and stay safe as we progress towards the new year – all the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gosh that penguin is adorable! Can I have one as a pet?
    Thanks for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2020/12/kitty-at-zoo.html

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is fascinating, David. I have mostly sparrows at my feeder (and chickadees, the occasional nuthatch, jay or cardinal). I think most are the House sparrows but now I need to give them all a much closer look. I do get a good number of junco too -- I didn't know they were in the same family. Well, I think life at Lizzie's Birdbath Bar and Grill will get a little more interesting as I more closely examine the clientele!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love seeing all the photos and identifications.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Fasciante entrada con esta precios colección de gorriones llenos de belleza y armonía. Te deseo mucha felicidad a tí y a los tuyos y que os cuidéis mucho. Feliz Navidad!!
    Muchos besos.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I loved the post. It is very interesting to see and know more about the different species of sparrows. The photos as always are fantastic. Happy Hanukkah and a Happy New Year, full of health, joy and love.
    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  35. It's interesting to see that a House Sparrow is considered a pest when here there is concern over the declining numbers. A good post and certainly helpful for id purposes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has developed its unsavoury reputation here by evicting native species such as Eastern Bluebirds and Tree Swallows from their cavity nests, both of which species are in trouble, with populations of Tree Swallows especially in steep decline.

      Delete
  36. Thanks David, I enjoyed reading about all your different sparrows. I love the little house sparrow we have here, and can hear a young one chirping to be fed while I am typing this.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi David,
    Fantastic photos of adorable sparrows!!! And I have learned a lot from your explanation!
    Very fascinating. Thank you for sharing!
    Warm greetings,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  38. You have shared different kinds of sparrows.
    Great photos and they are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I now find that I'm learning things about one of our most common garden species, Passer domesticus, from someone living in Canada, David! With so many species of sparrow in the Americas, I felt sure that I'd have difficulty in sorting out specific IDs, although no difficulty in recognising them as being sparrows - and then you come up with Juncos! I felt tempted to ask "are you sure?" - only joking. American Tree Sparrow still comes out as my favourite, closely followed by Chipping Sparrow.

    A very informative post - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow, you have made it possible for me to love and respect the sparrow in a whole new light.

    ReplyDelete
  41. You make me so glad with this post. I love this bird ( de mus / the sparrow). But in The Netherlands we only have the passer montanus, the passer domesticus and the prunella modularis. I use the Latin names ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  42. I appreciate you stopping by my blog earlier this week. I had seen your name at Valerie's blog and now I'm here learning about sparrows. I don't see many birds where I live. Even the cardinals have moved on to parts unknown. One thing we always have are the Canadian Geese. People fed them so they stayed. My neighborhood is overrun with them.

    I hope you have a safe, healthy, joyous Christmas, David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And their favourite food is grass. We have laid out such a smorgasbord for them that it is little wonder some Canada Geese choose to stay. I suspect that they might consider that their neighbourhood is overrun with human.

      Delete
  43. I just cannot see the difference - they are all so cute. Merry & safe Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Sparrows are my favourite because they are everywhere around here and nice for me to take a look at

    You have many nice species of it, even a Cuccoo been feeded by one hih hih

    I remember living in Spain as a child they used to eat them.Yes they had big nets outside my house in the trees at the farm in the village.They seemed to be a n excotic dinner for the norht of spain people.You could even have them on cans.My mum and I thought is was very terrible to watch and to hear those poor bird screaming and chirping.We thought it was a very cruel thing to do.But also here in -Norway they eat whales and seals ..i think it is something about tradition and lack of food from the old days.

    Thnk you for this great post David!Be well and happy

    Greetings Anita.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Far too many songbirds are still trapped and eaten and even though the EU has regulations against it, there seems to be little to no enforcement.

      Delete
  45. Estupenda colección David
    Aunque este año serán distintas. Os deseo una Buena Navidad. Y cuidaros amigo tenemos que seguir compartiendo 🎅🎄 🙅〰〰💗
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I enjoyed your post David! As with the previous one where you introduced Gulls, I liked the way you presented this family of birds. It's not very nice (in my opinion) that some people don't consider them very attractive just because they don't have flashy colours, large crests and other "attractive" features. If I'm not mistaken this very successful family numbers around 45 species and that's just on this Continent! The number of species we have seen is approaching 30.
    Can't wait to see you introduce a few other ones. If you need some pictures let me know.
    Take care,
    Franc and Carol

    ReplyDelete
  47. Hi Franc and Carol: Great to hear from you. I am glad to hear that you are enjoying this series on Passerellidae. Depending on the taxonomy you choose to follow, the total number of species is around 135, with only minor variations from one authority to another. The IOC, which is my taxonomy of choice, currently accepts 136 valid species. Don't forget that certain buntings, brush finches etc are members of this family. I will probably do two more posts, but will not get into any of the Central or South American species, wishing only to introduce readers to those species they might encounter in North America, north of the Mexican birder. So, while I have some acceptable shots of Santa Marta Brush Finch, for example, it has a very restricted distribution in the Santa Marta mountains of Colombia, and would have little relevance to people reading these posts. Stay safe! And don't let COVID catch you unawares!

    ReplyDelete
  48. I love all the sparrows... Beautiful an interesting post.. Thanks for sharing... Merry Christmas 🌲🌲☃️🎅

    ReplyDelete
  49. Extraordinarias fotos, adoro a los gorriones. David te deseo unas felices fiestas de Navidad y un inmejorable año nuevo, lleno de aves, grandes viajes y rodeado de Naturaleza. Un fuerte abrazo desde el norte de España.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Hi David,
    nice, educational post ons all these different kind of sparrows, with pictures that clearly show the differences. I think here in Europe we have a lot of different species too, but I would not know the difference. Though we are glad to see some more of the common sparrows lately.

    Best regards, Corrie

    ReplyDelete
  51. That’s a nice collection of photos of common sparrows and field mark facts for identification. You’ve probably heard frustrated birders lump them all together as LBJs — Little Brown Jobs. We’ve had a persistent little chippie here at the feeders for the last couple weeks. I love fox sparrows and had them all winter in Minnesota. Haven’t seen any here in the South though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With a little practice LBJs can be teased apart and then you have the satisfaction of being able to put a name to them.

      Delete
  52. I'm often flummoxed by sparrow identification, so this is a useful study for me. One that I'm never unsure about is the little Chipping Sparrow, one of my favorite winter visitors and, in my opinion, the cutest of the sparrows!

    ReplyDelete
  53. The House Sparrow I know very well. Not very shy! In our garden, there are mostly Passer montanus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I am quite sure that Passer montanus is a very agreeable visitor.

      Delete
  54. Wow !!! Fantastic photos of different species of sparrows!
    I love sparrows :) They are always first at the feeders!
    I wish you a blessed Christmas and a lot of happiness in the New Year!
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  55. Yes, the house sparrow we have in Sweden. Sadly the numbers goes down. Instead the Eurasian tree sparrow takes it place. Twe two looks alike. The difference is that the tree-sparrow has a black mark on it´s cheek. Take care and wish you a merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  56. I was astonished to find the Junco included here. It's a good reminder to not make assumptions about avian relationships based on appearance! The Red Fox Sparrow is particularly pleasing to my eye; how lucky you are to have that one.

    ReplyDelete
  57. I never knew there were so many varieties of sparrow. The only one I recall seeing years ago in one of the U.S. Great Lakes States was what we referred to as the English Sparrow or House Sparrow. Something I read said it wasn't even a real sparrow but was some sort of Finch. Enjoy seeing and reading about all these birds.

    ReplyDelete
  58. I have missed a few of your posts and came in today at Sparrows , take 3. I haven't read all the comments I'm sorry to say. As you will know we only have two sparrows in the UK, the House Sparrow that you've dealt with and the Tree Sparrow which is very similar. So similar, in fact, that I have never consciously identified one. We do not have them so far as I am aware in the Outer Hebrides although they used to be common around 1900. The last sighting that I'm aware of was in 1970. A White Throated Sparrow Zonotrichia albicollis was found on the Flannan Isles 0n 18 May 1909. The Hedge Sparrow so called in the UK is a Dunnock and, as I understand it not really a 'proper' sparrow but an Accentor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're correct in everything you say, Graham. In some Asian cities that I have visited Eurasian Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus) has replaced House Sparrow (Passer comesticus) as the common urban sparrow. The black dot on the cheek of the Tree Sparrow is quite diagnostic, I find.

      Delete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers