Monday, December 28, 2020

Familiar Sparrows - Part 3

     The first couple of posts on some of our unique sparrows engendered quite a bit of interest, so I am going to feature six more species, of which I have reasonable pictures. I hope you will enjoy getting to know them, and will look for them where you live.

Sooty Fox Sparrow (Passerella unalaschcensis)

     In the first segment in this series about New World Sparrows I introduced you to Red Fox Sparrow (Passerella iliaca) and I am delighted to present its cousin, Sooty Fox Sparrow. The specific name above gives you a  clue to its northern affinities and the subspecies that I encountered on Vancouver Island is P. unalaschcensis fuliginosa.


     I have to tell you, that I was absolutely thrilled to encounter this darkest of all the forms at Island View Beach Regional Park in Saanichton. It was my first and only experience with this bird, but we were able to enjoy it for an hour or so, and on a trip that featured many spectacular species it was the singular highlight for me. When COVID finally receives a well-deserved kick in the backside and we can resume normal life, it will be high on my priority list to return to Vancouver Island to study this bird some more. 


     As you can see in the pictures above and below, the Sooty Fox Sparrows were keeping company with Golden-crowned Sparrows (Zonotrichia atricapilla) -  another species found only in the west, so my happiness was doubled.


     The birds were very cooperative and showed little inclination to scatter, other than when a perceived threat presented itself, but they were quick to return to feed anew.


     This species breeds on Vancouver Island, but not much farther south, barely getting into northern Washington.



     It is a fabulous bird, and I waited a long time to see it. I am not sure that I had expectations, but if I did they were exceeded!

Rufous-collared Sparrow (Zonotrichia capensis)

     I must confess that I am sneaking in this species since you are not going to find it anywhere in North America, but if you journey to Central or South America it will be your daily companion in the right habitat.


     I first met up with it on Curaçao about thirty years ago, maybe a little longer, but my most vivid memories of this little charmer are from Ecuador in 2009 when Miriam and I took to calling it "Rufie", an affectionate honorific for a friend, in effect.


     Every day we saw tanagers and hummingbirds, flowerpiercers and trogons, antbirds and owls, but keeping us company all the while was Rufous-collared Sparrow.


     We never failed to be charmed by it.


     This species is widely distributed throughout most of South America and there is an isolated relict population on the Island of Hispaniola, perhaps meriting consideration as a separate species, having probably been isolated there since the last ice age.


     Most of the eco lodges where we have stayed have extensive feeding stations and Rufous-collared Sparrow is always happy to benefit from a well-stocked smorgasbord.


     Surely there will be no lack of consensus that this is a charming, jaunty little character, well deserving of your affection.

Golden-crowned Sparrow (Zonotrichia atricapilla)

     Another Zonotrichia  with swagger and panache!


     Found strictly in the west, this species breeds as far north as Alaska, south to Vancouver Island, which is where I have seen it more more frequently than in any other location.


     A lifetime of birding has produced a storehouse of memories as you might imagine, and one of my favourites recalls a grey, blustery day on Mount Tolmie in Victoria, BC, when Miriam and I came across a group of Golden-crowned Sparrows feeding, and squabbling amongst themselves, on a rocky outcrop. What they were finding I am not sure, but it was evidently highly prized.


     The prize for us was to watch them go about their business. 


     It is a large sparrow, as are Zonotrichia species in general, but it cannot be confused with any other.


     I am sure that you will have no difficulty agreeing with me that this is a handsome species well worthy of your approbation. Here are three individuals with a Spotted Towhee (Pipilo maculatus), about which you will learn more below.


     If you have a chance to visit beautiful Vancouver Island one day, one of my favourite places on Earth, perhaps you too will be thrilled by a Golden-crowned Sparrow. I hope so!

Savannah Sparrow (Passerculus sandwichensis)

     When spring returns to southern Ontario,  Savannah Sparrows return with it.


     For a while, you might be forgiven for thinking that every fencepost is occupied by an ardent male, and it is not unusual to observe (and hear) several of them within the span of a few hundred metres.


     They pour forth their song almost incessantly, in defence of territory, and as an invitation to a female to join in partnership.


     I swear that in early spring, Miriam and I are seized by the same itch to get out and find our first Savannah Sparrow of the season.


     Once the ice has been broken, so to speak, it becomes a question of how many we will see, no longer whether we will find one or not.
     It is a beautiful little sparrow, boldly striped with pinkish legs and prominent yellow supercilium.


     Miriam's hearing is more sensitive than mine and she takes great pleasure in detecting the song, which  generally escapes my attention, especially if it is a windy day.


     It is for both of us a bit of a rite of spring to find the first Savannah Sparrows returning to the meadows and pasturelands of Waterloo Region. The rhythm of the seasons is imprinted upon us!

Spotted Towhee (Pipilo maculatus)

     This is a large, long-tailed sparrow - and very handsome too.


     The male, shown above, has a black head, a prominent reddish eye, a white belly and white spots on the wing.


     The female, shown below, looks very similar, except that she is grey to brown where the male is black.

    
      This is another bird of the western regions of North America, although it does exhibit a tendency to wander, and is found from time to time in southern Ontario.


     In my experience it is easier to find than the closely related Eastern Towhee (Pipilo erythropthalmus) and seems more willing to come out into the open. Vancouver Island seems to be a bit of a stronghold for this species and we saw it there frequently.
     When feeding Spotted Towhees use a double kick method, commonly seen among all towhee species.
     It was not a particularly cold day when we saw the individual below at Somenos Marsh near Duncan, BC, so perhaps it is puffed out as a form of display. It certainly looks very striking.


     And so, when you visit Vancouver Island to see Golden-crowned Sparrow, Spotted Towhee will be there to greet you too!


     That should make your day!

Eastern Towhee (Pipilo erythrophthalmus)

     Eastern Towhee, formerly known as Rufous-sided Towhee,  is the eastern equivalent of the Spotted Towhee of the west.


     It is skulker, and while not uncommon, is often difficult to locate. In my experience, if you live in southern Ontario it may be quite easily found at Hullett Marsh in Huron County, and at Pinery Provincial Park on the shores of Lake Huron. No doubt others have favourite locations to find this colourful species.


     As is readily apparent in the picture above, this species has a white base to the primaries and lacks the spots of its western counterpart. White in the sides and corner of the tail is also prominent.


     Many are those who, thinking always that sparrows are brown and dull, are surprised by the colourful plumage of the two towhees featured here. It should be pointed out that other towhees are nowhere near so vividly plumaged, Abert's Towhee (Pipilo aberti), for example. 
     The female Eastern Towhee is delicate and lovely to my eye.



     As I look out the window at the snows of winter drifting in the backyard, with the wind whipping the branches into constant motion, and a Cooper's Hawk (Accipiter cooperii) patrolling the trees and shrubs looking for an inattentive songbird for lunch, I am reminded that the towhees who have left us for milder conditions farther south, will return in the spring. And their habit of remaining in dense, interlocking undergrowth, darting out only to feed briefly, will perhaps protect them from the well-honed skills of a predatory hawk, and from the eyes of an inquisitive birder too!
     I will look forward to welcoming them back in the spring.

     It has given me a good deal of pleasure to bring you accounts of these sparrows, in the hope you will become more alert to what is around you. If you have enjoyed even a moment of satisfaction, or have gained one small speck of knowledge, you have made me very happy. Thanks for taking the time to read my blog.
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

67 comments:

  1. This has been a truly delightful series. Many, many thanks (and a little avian envy).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing all your knowledge, David. I didn't know that there were so many different sparrows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    I have loved this series, David and thank you for the time to prepare it. In this instalment, it has to be the Savannah Sparrow that has captured my heart! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If ever you make it to Southern Ontario in the spring, I will have ine sing just for you!

      Delete
  4. Querido David tengo que decirte que tu tierra es el paraíso de las aves, no solo hay una gran variedad, si no que son aves muy muy hermosas. Es un placer visitarte y encontrarme con fotos e información tan buena. Muchas gracias. Un fuerte abrazo para ti y para Miriam.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh David,
    what changes here !!!!! But I can see it :-)
    And as I read your blog I am really getting greener 🤢🤢🤢 I see really fantastic birds passing by with the most beautiful details and colors. What beautiful animals and birds around the world are. Here I am really happy again :-)
    Sorry for my late visit, but I am really very busy at work and looking after my mother.
    I hope you are still safe
    Did you still receive our Christmas card by post ????
    Stay safe and sound David and Miriam.
    Dear greetings and a very big hugfffff,
    Helma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Helma: Indeed we received your wonderful card in the mail. Obviously, I forgot to let you know. Hugs, David

      Delete
  6. I am gobsmacked once again that there are so many sorts of sparrows, and all so beautiful.I love how one bird seems to be wearing a fur stole! Thanks for sharing these fabulous photos. Have a great afternoon, big hugs to you both, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting. I love those red eyes! Marvellous post.
    I've never heard of an eco lodge like that. I wished I LIKED to travel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, one travels not only for the birds (in our case) but for the experience of another culture, food, language etc.

      Delete
  8. Except for the Eastern Towhee and the Savannah Sparrow, those were all new to me. We are enjoying an influx of Chipping Sparrows at our feeders the last few days. They are so dainty, and very skittish. They very quickly give in to any other birds that want to get at the seed and fly away but once they get in there, they eat and eat and eat. Love seeing them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your Chipping Sparrows, Cynthia, and send them back safely next spring.

      Delete
  9. Hi David, the Spotted Towhees are excellent, so I don't forget the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All the varieties of sparrows are amazing. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Son todos tan preciosos ¡ cuanto me gustaría verlos !. Un abrazo y gracias por estos reportajes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time for a visit to Canada, Teresa! But COVID may not permit that for many months to come.

      Delete
  12. Thank you for this wonderful presentation! Far more than I could have believed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had no idea there were so many beautiful sparrows. I've only ever noticed our common house sparrows. Some of the ones you've shown here are quite spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic post David. I loved to see it. Fantastic photo's.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am astounded that there are so many species of sparrows!
    Fabulous photos as always, David!

    May you have a great year and a wonderful time ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The many different sparrows amaze me David. I really enjoyed this post, now I am going to enjooy them even more.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi David.

    Super pictures.
    How wonderful to see so many species of sparrows and some so colorful.

    Greetings from Patricia.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello, David
    I am happy to have seen all of these birds, your photos are gorgeous. What a great post on these lovely sparrows. I would like to be sitting at an ECO lodge watching all the birds coming and going to the feeder stations, sounds like a fun time. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great. As I said, the Sooty Fix Sparrow was the best find for me, especially since it is getting near to the southern end of its range on Vancouver Island. Let's get this damn pandemic out of the way and I will be back out there!

      Delete
    2. That should of course say Fox not Fix!

      Delete
  19. Buenos días queridos amigos David y Miriam, gracias por mostrarnos tanta belleza, desconocía por completo la gran diversidad de gorriones existentes y ha sido para mí una muy agradable experiencia. Todo, como siempre acompañado de un bello reportaje fotográfico como ya es habitual. He disfrutado mucho con esta bella entrada.
    Si ya no tenemos ocasión de comentar, os deseo tengáis una buena despedida del año y una mejor entrada del próximo, acompañada por vuestros seres queridos y si Dios quiere, que el próximo año tengamos la suerte de poder olvidar la maldita pandemia que nos acecha.
    Recibir un fuerte y caluroso abrazo de Carmen y mío.
    ¡FELIZ AÑO!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Preciosos estos pequeños gorriones, es maravilloso conocer la diversidad de ellos y lo encantadores que son ¡me han alegrado el día!
    Mis mejores deseos de felicidad y salud para el 2021 ¡Feliz AÑo Nuevo!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Il y'en a des biens jolis comme les "Pipilo"
    Hier j'ai eu la visite d'un groupe de moineaux domestiques, au milieu il y'avait un mâle avec des taches blanches.
    Bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
  22. So many tiny and beautiful sparrows.
    Wishing you and Miriam a wonderful and healthy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dear David,
    thank you for this trilogy on sparrows; I enjoyed it a lot.
    For me, a sparrow allways was a small brown bird.
    But in your part of the world, there are certainly wonderful sparrows, displaying a lot of colors and beauty. It's amazing there are so many different sparrows, but also that you have collected so many pictures of them. Compliments!

    Best regards, Corrie

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have really enjoyed seeing your photos and reading about all those different sparrow species. I had no idea there were so many variants. Truly lovely.
    I am taking this opportunity to wish you and Miriam a very happy, healthy, worry-free, and "back to normal" New Year.... something we all want along with the vaccine.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am truly astonished at the huge variety of sparrows you are fortunate to have.

    ReplyDelete
  26. hello David
    I'm slowly becoming a bird expert, your explanations are always very informative, thanks for that
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
  27. HiBoth,
    What an amazing array of Sparrows you have introduced to us , lets hope by the time Miriam hears the Savanah Sparrow you are both vaccinated and safe from this damnable Covid. I think the star of the show being the Golden-crowned Sparrow, spotted Towhee, my thoughts are that you have most definitely convinced us all that Sparrows are not a dull bird.
    Three wonderful and informative posts,
    You both stay safe.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wonderful post as always, David. I love that little rufous collared sparrow. Very dapper! So far, still only House sparrows and Juncos at Lizzie's Birdbath Bar and Grill but I keep checking. (And woodpeckers and the occasional cardinal or jay!)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you, David, for a terrific tutorial on Sparrows! They truly make bird watching a joy.

    Central Florida has only four species of sparrow which breed within the state: Bachman’s Sparrow ; a Florida sub-species of Grasshopper Sparrow; House Sparrow; and the Eastern Towhee. The Florida sub-species of towhee has yellowish rather than red eyes.

    Your excellent collection of quality photographs demonstrates why we get excited each winter as many of the species depicted head our direction!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi David wow I never realised that their was more than one specie of sparrows,Thankyou for sharing this information with us,it was very interesting . I also love hearing the different birds where I live but as yet I can't tell which birds are singing out,my hubby can,hope you and Miriam have a lovely day .

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh David, what a fabulous and interesting post this was, thank you.
    Sending my good wishes to you and Miriam and as the New Year approaches I wish you a happy and healthy one.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh wow! I see only the house sparrow here in Mumbai. Thank you for sharing all these lovelies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But you have many other wonderful species in Mumbai.

      Delete
  33. What a great collection of sparrows - the only ones I see (House and Tree) are introduced.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  34. Is Tree Sparrow present in Australia?

    ReplyDelete


  35. 。 ☆。 ☆。 ☆
    \ | /。
    For sure: highly magnificent post,
    dear friend David.
    Simply wonderful
    level of detail, sen sa tio nal!
    Kisses from Buenos Aires
    / | \。
    ★。 ☆。。 ☆。

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks for the great series David. It has been really interesting to read about these little darlings even if I doubt I will ever get to see any of them. I love their common names as well, so descriptive.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi David,
    Once again a great series of birds you have seen through the years. The only one that is familiar to me is the Rufous-collared Sparrow. I have seen these birds in Patagonia some years ago. I agree with you that whenever it is possible again it is worth it paying a visit to Vancouver Island.
    I wish you and Miriam a pleasant changing of the year and hope your wishes will come true in 2021.
    Greetings, Kees

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi David!
    I wish you and your beautiful family a very happy and prosperous new year. Stay safe and beat the Pandemic with new energy. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Lovely sparrows! I particularly like the two photos with the soloist sparrow - singing with the beak open.
    Wishing you and Miriam a wonderful calendar New Year with a lot of birds and photography!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thank you for sharing this incredible series of photos. All these sparrows are so beautiful, but I especially loved the Spotted Towhee, which is really a spectacular bird and completely different from the sparrows I see here.
    I wish to you and to your family, a Happy New Year, full of everything good, especially health.
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  41. Gracias a tí amigo, porque al leerte vamos aprendiendo también a conocer más aves.
    Os deseo un buen 2021 David. Que llegue muy bueno para vosotros.
    Feliz Año Nuevo. Y cuidaros mucho.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Great! It is like a fashion show of sparrows.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Lovely pictures of these beautiful sparrows.. I wish you a happy and healthy new year 2021...

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hello and good evening David and Mirijam!

    I have never seen so many strange sparrows!What some great finds!
    Here we only have the usual The house sparrow (Passer domesticus) and sometimes the snow sparrow but very seldom

    I wish you will have a peace ful Happy New Year!Eat good food and homemade cakes made by Mirjam hih hih Read a good book about birds and be happy whatever comes along

    So long my friend!

    Anita

    ReplyDelete
  45. Gold! Thank you so much for sharing all this nice birds. I love the rufous-collared Sparrow. What a beautiful bird.

    ReplyDelete
  46. What a series of beautiful bird pictures. It is hard to have a favorite as they are gorgeous. From a distance it looked to me like most sparrows were dark brown or grey but your pictures show their true colors. I enjoyed it very much. Have a great 2021 filled with more birds.

    ReplyDelete
  47. •*♫*•.♥.•*♫*•.♥.•*♫*•
    Hi dear friend o´mine!

    Little birds, let's sing
    that the new year is about to begin

    Even though you were just born
    your tail you have to move

    As they have been doing
    everyone will make the next 2021 happy

    Across the blue sky
    and the wide atlantic sea goes all my love
    in this greeting that i send you wishing you
    the best for this new year
    dear David & Family
    •*♫*•.♥.•*♫*•.♥.•*♫*•

    ReplyDelete
  48. I think I've fallen in love with that Sooty Fox Sparrow. What a beautiful bird! At first glance, its breast reminded me of a robin's -- the speckling, I suppose. I've been surprised beyond words at the variety of these sparrows, and their beauty. Having them introduced in your blog is far more satisfying than simply looking through a field guide. You manage to communicate so much information in a memorable and pleasing way.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Such sweet birds. The beauty of nature has been a great comfort this year.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  50. Buenos días queridos amigos, paso a desearos lo mejor para ese Nuevo Año 2021, que sea un Nuevo Año de Felicidad, Paz y Prosperidad y podamos ver la luz de ese maldito túnel en el que entramos y aun no hemos podido salir.
    Un fuerte abrazo para todos.
    ¡Feliz Año Nuevo!

    ReplyDelete
  51. I've very much enjoyed your informative and inspiring series on Sparrows, David. I can now see why, at the start of this series in a reply to me, you said to wait until you covered the Towhees - I'd never have thought of these as Sparrows!

    Intrigued by your mention of a 'double kick method' of feeding. Could you enlarge on this, please.

    Our very best wishes to you and Miriam for a healthy and, eventually, Covid-free 2021. Richard and Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  52. Good morning Richard: They jump up off the ground and come down with both feet to scratch at the soil and kick backwards at the same time. It is fascinating to watch. I will see if I can fine a You Tube video.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Hello David!
    Thank you very much for getting to know such a unique series of photos with sparrows. I did not know that there are so many of these birds.

    May each day of the New Year 2021 bring happiness, good cheer, and sweet surprises…
    To you and all your dear ones! Happy New Year!
    Lucja - Maria

    ReplyDelete
  54. What nice species of birds David. Here we can see tits only now.
    I wish you health and happiness in the New Year. May he be kind to us, bring peace and quiet. And I also wish many interesting trips with your friends-birdwatchers the next year without covid.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Hi David and Miriam - thanks for these ... always delightful to see and to learn more about. I agree Vancouver Island is special ... what excellent photos and commentary for us enjoy.

    Happy New Year to you both - with thoughts ... Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  56. Hi David,
    Part one was great, part two was even better en now part three is excellent!! These sparrows and photos are breathtaking!!!I do envy you!!
    Big hug!
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  57. I am glad to see an overview of Canada passerines here. In Europe, they are different, although very similar.

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers